Is there supposed to be some type of cover in here??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 01:43 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is there supposed to be some type of cover in here??

Hi all I recently had work done on my 2008 RDX. Today I noticed how exposed this area looks, I just wanted some insight on it. I知 not sure if a cover was there prior or even if a cover is supposed to be here. The work consisted of new alternator, serpentine belt, power steering pump and lines as well as new control arms, inner & outter tie rod links.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-03-2024, 07:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,761 Likes on 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by JCash23
Hi all I recently had work done on my 2008 RDX. Today I noticed how exposed this area looks, I just wanted some insight on it. I知 not sure if a cover was there prior or even if a cover is supposed to be here. The work consisted of new alternator, serpentine belt, power steering pump and lines as well as new control arms, inner & outter tie rod links.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
First of all, the red arrow is pointing to what appears to be a PS line hose clamp that should be fastened down to something.
My best guess is that it should fasten to the cross member somewhere (blue arrow) versus hanging out loosely as shown in the picture.

Secondly, I think your instinctual feeling of 'exposure' in that general area is spot on.

I'm pretty certain that the part listed as #8 below 74111-STK-A01 Shield, Front Splash should be installed in that area.
Front Fenders - 2008 Acura RDX 5 Door RDX KA 5AT (acurapartswarehouse.com)

Google search the part number above, you may be able to pick up a low cost used one versus paying the inflated OEM price of $62+.

Here is a better picture of the front splash shield.
The red arrow is pointing to an area, built into the splash shield, that allows one to place a socket on the crankshaft pulley bolt for manual turning without removing said shield.

Your pictures above clearly show that the crankshaft pulley is fully exposed and the splash shield is missing.

Like you said, it was either missing prior to the recently ordered repairs or the repair shop mechanic forgot to replace the splash shield like they forgot to fasten down that PS hose clamp to the front cross member?

The following users liked this post:
Chopperpilot (05-04-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 05:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I see a sheet metal screw into the frame rail which isn’t OEM , and a few empty holes where splash shield clips should be .
Old 05-04-2024, 06:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thank you so much for the info, I値l be returning to address my concerns on Monday morning at the shop. Hopefully this will be corrected.
The following users liked this post:
Chopperpilot (05-04-2024)