New map is here

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 05:11 AM
Resurrected Drummer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron T
Hmmm. I'm confused.

I got the email today as well that a new map update was available. I went to the Here site and the version available is 2023.03.14 as you found. However, I downloaded that version last August! That is the version I'm currently using in my RDX. Perhaps they were premature in sending out the email and the newer version will be available shortly.

Ron
Ron, I gotta check that out today! I posted elsewhere a week or two ago, that I checked the HERE site and saw that 2023.03.14 was available. I downloaded it w/o issue (using the same 23 GB Flashdrive for that purpose) in about 35-40 minutes. But it seems this version is VERY Slow to upload. BTW, I use the same Flashdrive for these Downloads. When using HERE's Downloader, it detects the older version on the drive, wipes it clean, and then Downloads the newer version. I insert the Flashdrive in the USB port and drive around locally as usual and then after some time, the message comes up that the upload is complete. That can take days - I do not just run the car without driving as some may do. What I have not been abale to determine is the new version uploading if you drive around or solely if you are sitting with the engine on and stopped (at traffic lights , etc.).
Old 12-12-2023, 05:19 AM
Resurrected Drummer

Originally Posted by Geohutch
Serious question, given that there are other choices that never need updating. Google maps, Apple Maps; I prefer Waze because of real time police updates, red light and speeding cameras, pot holes, etc. and it never needs updating.

Offering Auto manufacturer designed and maintained resident systems seems like a 10 year old approach to navigating. Help me understand.
Geohutch, agreed, Using the other programs (Google Maps, WAZE {which is owned by Google]) are better for instantaneous traffic conditions for a route. For trips of real distance, I will typically use WAZE. However, with the assiatance of Alexa, and it's interrelation with The MDX's NAVI, I will bark out my destination using Alexa and "she" sends it the MDX's NAVI easily. Using WAZE requires connecting my Google Phone via AA which is Burdensome to use with the TTIP - Touchpad. In AA, IMO is terribly S L O W . I have found that the NAVI system has worked well for me on this basis.
Old 12-12-2023, 06:40 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Serious question, given that there are other choices that never need updating. Google maps, Apple Maps; I prefer Waze because of real time police updates, red light and speeding cameras, pot holes, etc. and it never needs updating.

Offering Auto manufacturer designed and maintained resident systems seems like a 10 year old approach to navigating. Help me understand.
I almost always use google maps but I do understand that a company may not want to depend on a third party to provide its customers with navigation capabilities. I find it nice to have options.
The following users liked this post:
NBPDC505 (12-12-2023)
Old 12-12-2023, 07:24 AM
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
Ron, I gotta check that out today! I posted elsewhere a week or two ago, that I checked the HERE site and saw that 2023.03.14 was available. I downloaded it w/o issue (using the same 23 GB Flashdrive for that purpose) in about 35-40 minutes. But it seems this version is VERY Slow to upload. BTW, I use the same Flashdrive for these Downloads. When using HERE's Downloader, it detects the older version on the drive, wipes it clean, and then Downloads the newer version. I insert the Flashdrive in the USB port and drive around locally as usual and then after some time, the message comes up that the upload is complete. That can take days - I do not just run the car without driving as some may do. What I have not been abale to determine is the new version uploading if you drive around or solely if you are sitting with the engine on and stopped (at traffic lights , etc.).
To help in determining if the update is uploading to the car, I use a USB drive that has an activity LED. As long as the LED is flashing, I know data is being uploaded.

I typically do my update with the car parked in the garage and in Accessory mode. It typically takes just over an hour to complete.

For the last update, I was heading out on a drive that usually takes just over an hour, so I did the update while driving. I started the update on my return home and it completed just as I was pulling into the driveway,

Ron
Old 12-12-2023, 08:24 AM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
I typically do my update with the car parked in the garage and in Accessory mode. It typically takes just over an hour to complete.
I do the same, but with an 8A battery charger connected and everything I can get to turned off. Does the battery carry you through the hour by itself? Good to know the update runs while the car is being driven. Sounds like a good excuse for a bit of a road trip.
Old 12-12-2023, 09:03 AM
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts
Hmmm. I'm confused.

I got the email today as well that a new map update was available. I went to the Here site and the version available is 2023.03.14 as you found. However, I downloaded that version last August! That is the version I'm currently using in my RDX. Perhaps they were premature in sending out the email and the newer version will be available shortly.

Ron
Interesting, the version I installed a few months ago was labeled 2023.01.03 and as stated in another comment the installer found that version and considered it old before wiping and replacing it with the new content.
Old 12-12-2023, 09:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jcross1231
I do the same, but with an 8A battery charger connected and everything I can get to turned off. Does the battery carry you through the hour by itself? Good to know the update runs while the car is being driven. Sounds like a good excuse for a bit of a road trip.
For clarification, I put the car in Accessory mode (one push on the Start button) as opposed to On mode (two pushes on the Start button). This ensures the minimum number of things are running.

I am able to complete the update on just the battery, although connecting a charger would be a good safeguard. I had an issue once when updating the maps on our Accord where in the middle of the update the car started flashing warnings about system failures and then the car died. In that instance, it was a case of the battery was near the end of its life and, as I recall, I had to replace it shortly after that.

Ron
Old 12-12-2023, 10:06 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by NBPDC505
Interesting, the version I installed a few months ago was labeled 2023.01.03 and as stated in another comment the installer found that version and considered it old before wiping and replacing it with the new content.
I always copy the contents of the USB drive download to my computer as a backup. Not sure why, I just do. On the drive where I keep the copies, I have a folder named 2023.01.03. That folder has a Date Created of 8/11/2023. The folder named 2023.03.14 has a Date Created of 8/12/2023. I don't recall why I would have checked the Here site on two days in a row, but it appears you just missed the 2023.03.14 version.

Ron
Old 12-12-2023, 12:56 PM
Instructor

I always copy the contents of the USB drive download to my computer as a backup. Not sure why, I just do. On the drive where I keep the copies, I have a folder named 2023.01.03. That folder has a Date Created of 8/11/2023. The folder named 2023.03.14 has a Date Created of 8/12/2023. I don't recall why I would have checked the Here site on two days in a row, but it appears you just missed the 2023.03.14 version.

Ron
Interesting, considering I only just received an email yesterday pertaining to a new update which was indeed the 03.14 version.

Old 12-12-2023, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jcross1231
Same here, NOCO Genius 10 hooked up for the duration to be sure. Also hook it up on occasion and let it recharge and optimize the factory AGM battery. Would like to see how long the OEM battery can go before replacement.
Old 12-12-2023, 01:05 PM
Instructor

I use Google maps 99% of the time while driving, but on occasion have utilized the built in solution. If the map system is already integrated into the vehicle, and the ability to update it for free is a limited time affair, why wouldn't you do so while the option exists?
Old 01-26-2024, 03:36 PM
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking New Map

North America Map And Services

Your Subscription includes map updates and connected services for your navigation system. (Connected Services only apply to U.S. & Canada customers)

Latest map database version available: 2023.06.13
Old 01-27-2024, 06:00 AM
Resurrected Drummer

THX for the Head's Up. I went to the HERE site and low and Behold, it was there!!. It is downloading now. I was UNable to upload the 03.14 version - tried it 4X. My Acura Dealer said that he heard that many people had difficulty as well. He told me that try to upload the NAVI update (he was not aware of this newest Version) by having the MDX just Run, not driving it around. In previous Updates , I did insert the FD, and drive around for a few days, and eventually, it was successful. This 03/14 version has been an issue.
Old 01-30-2024, 07:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I wasn't able to find any specific answer, but does the navigation need to be the primary source during the entirety of the map update? Can I start the update and then switch to Sirius or AA while I drive for ~60mins the update takes?
Old 01-31-2024, 08:07 AM
Expanse me

Received 299 Likes on 226 Posts
Originally Posted by hidperf
I wasn't able to find any specific answer, but does the navigation need to be the primary source during the entirety of the map update? Can I start the update and then switch to Sirius or AA while I drive for ~60mins the update takes?
my experience has shown that u can use what u want. it runs in the background.
The following 2 users liked this post by Funz51:
hidperf (01-31-2024), markm929 (01-31-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 08:14 AM
Resurrected Drummer

That's what I did for the previous Updates to the NAVI, ut not with this one?? Even using a new FD, re-downloaded the Update on HERE, still getting the opo up window to re-insert the drive in the USB port and try again!!. My dealer service rep said he has feedback form other customers that this version has shown to be problematic. He said to try to keep the MDX on, not driving around and see if the Upload completes successfully. Going to try that today, If I can. I remember reading somewhere that other posters put the car in accessory mode (Double push of the Engine on button without stepping on the Brake) and run the Upload. I have never tried that with the fear that could that be burning out the e-coil? Oh, I beleive the windows had to be open and the key FOB in the car.
Old 01-31-2024, 08:18 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Funz51
my experience has shown that u can use what u want. it runs in the background.
That's what I was hoping. The last update, I drove around for over an hour in complete silence. I just got the car so I was learning the controls the whole time, so it wasn't completely worthless.
Old 01-31-2024, 08:50 AM
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by hidperf
That's what I was hoping. The last update, I drove around for over an hour in complete silence. I just got the car so I was learning the controls the whole time, so it wasn't completely worthless.
You can use your system like you want and the update runs in the background. “No silence for you” LOL
Old 02-01-2024, 07:38 AM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts
Does anyone know if a dealer will update the map for you? I would love to have them take care of this during my next free oil change.
Old 04-20-2024, 03:10 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
That's what I did for the previous Updates to the NAVI, ut not with this one?? Even using a new FD, re-downloaded the Update on HERE, still getting the opo up window to re-insert the drive in the USB port and try again!!. My dealer service rep said he has feedback form other customers that this version has shown to be problematic. He said to try to keep the MDX on, not driving around and see if the Upload completes successfully. Going to try that today, If I can. I remember reading somewhere that other posters put the car in accessory mode (Double push of the Engine on button without stepping on the Brake) and run the Upload. I have never tried that with the fear that could that be burning out the e-coil? Oh, I beleive the windows had to be open and the key FOB in the car.
I think you will use less battery power with just a single push of the accessory button (not a double push). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I successfully updated our map to the 06.13.2023 version on the third try yesterday. It's so strange that SanDisk and PNY flash drives are supposedly not recommended. I'm guessing it's because they are two of the most popular brands and therefore the brands people tend to be using when they complain about this awful update method that seems to be 15 years behind the times?

The very first time I updated our map (installing one of the maps dated 2021) I used a 64GB SanDisk drive. I followed the special instructions to format the drive as FAT32. I seem to recall that transferring the update to the RDX took about four hours, but this may have been because we made stops during a long trip, which would have caused the update to have to be restarted if we turned off the vehicle at any point―which the official instructions seem to indicate wouldn't affect anything, because supposedly a successful update finishes over 15 minutes "in the background" (the background of being completely off??) after you turn off the engine.

For the latest update (only our second), instead of trying to reformat the 64GB drive (I didn't want to spend hours reformatting it as FAT32) I erased the previous map files manually. There was one file that I couldn't delete no matter what I tried, but when I downloaded the current map the HERE software said the download was successful and the file I hadn't been able to delete seemed to have been overwritten (judging from its creation date). In any case, in the vehicle the update failed, twice. The first time the car turned off completely (from accessory mode) at some point when I was distracted (maybe because I didn't leave the key in the car?), and the second time I did see an error message saying something like "map update interrupted, re-connect the USB drive with the update files" (which was already connected). At this point I went online and ordered a 32GB USB 2.0 USB drive from, you guessed it, PNY. Then I saw in this thread that PNY is the other brand that HERE warns against using. I think it's ridiculous for them to blame SanDisk and PNY for their awful software. Anyway, the PNY drive came pre-formatted as FAT32. It took several hours to download the files using the HERE software (more ridiculousness!) and then it took 70 minutes to upload the new map from the USB drive to the RDX. This time I put the car in accessory mode, checked on it every 10 minutes or so at first and then sat in the vehicle after about 45 minutes. I think it was after an hour that the dashboard lights (where it says "accessory mode") turned off and only the navigation screen stayed on. I was afraid the whole thing was about to turn off, so I immediately started the engine. I finally got the "Map Update Complete" notification about ten minutes later.

What a hassle this update process is. The person at Acura who hired HERE should be flogged mercilessly with a wet noodle. I was going to say "fired," but hopefully they've been reading this forum and have already learned their lesson. HERE on the other hand should definitely be fired.

And now we get to wonder when we'll get the next update, and how long it will take to download and install, and if it will make our cars tell us that our map is outdated...

Old 04-20-2024, 03:45 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I was wondering what other carmakers could possibly use HERE. I found that BMW does, and I watched a YouTube video on how their map updates work. At least their navigation menu has an Update section where you can see the progress of your update installation. Otherwise it looks pretty similar. HERE started out as U.S.-based Navteq in 1985. It was acquired by Finland-based Nokia in 2007. It is currently based in The Netherlands. Its major owners are BMW, Audi, Mercedes and also Intel. Their goal in acquiring HERE in 2016 apparently was to "stay one step ahead of Google"...
Old 04-20-2024, 07:05 PM
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts
I have a Mercedes GLA now and the nav users here!.
The car did an over the air update with the ignition off without any intervention from me.
The car has a small Lithium Ion auxilliary battery.
Absolutely nothing like the tedious and annoying update process that Acura nav uses.
One thing M-B has in common with Acura is that the here! updates are already old when you get them.
Old 04-21-2024, 09:51 AM
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
What does Acura recommend if we can't use Sandsdisk or PNY. What size? and 2.0 or 3.0?
Old 04-21-2024, 12:36 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Oil Stain
What does Acura recommend if we can't use Sandsdisk or PNY. What size? and 2.0 or 3.0?
Use CarPlay or AA....
Old 04-22-2024, 05:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ross7777
Use CarPlay or AA....
LOL... that's not the answer I was looking for.
Old 04-22-2024, 06:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
HEY
i just picked up a 25gb micro usb in my drawer and hooked it up to a usb card reader
Old 04-26-2024, 12:35 PM
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Latest map database version available: 2023.09.25
Downloaded and installed.
Old 04-26-2024, 01:56 PM
Instructor

I'm shocked! I have a 2024 and the map that's in the car says 2021.10.04.
Really Acura!!! I guess I'm doing and update. Had no I idea the map would have been that old.