Drive Mode Unavailable Message

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 02:29 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by anoop
I thought I posted about this but I can't find the post. At the last service (02/2022) they did the following:

0101Q0 INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM - REPLACE THE FARKA CONNECTORS S/B: 20-031 S/B: 21-009
Yes they did TSB says most buss but the dealership called it that FARKA.

This RDX is about to blow my piston really a said day for Acura.

To me it can't compete with the Acura 90's cars.
bad city gas millage, Brake pedal is like an old ford.You have to mash it hard t to make it stop.
And the dealerships they remind me of bill's garage. I told them to call Acura hot line yet they insist on doing it again.

I don't know where Acura calls it Precision Crafted Performance. I call it Poorly Crafted Poop.

Old 03-29-2022, 02:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by Midi Man
Yes they did TSB says most buss but the dealership called it that FARKA.

This RDX is about to blow my piston really a said day for Acura.

To me it can't compete with the Acura 90's cars.
bad city gas millage, Brake pedal is like an old ford.You have to mash it hard t to make it stop.
And the dealerships they remind me of bill's garage. I told them to call Acura hot line yet they insist on doing it again.

I don't know where Acura calls it Precision Crafted Performance. I call it Poorly Crafted Poop.
I think the Acura strategy is affordable entry-luxury performance. What they got right is the steering and suspension and to some extent the engine, what they got wrong is the transmission and brake feel. Most car makers don't get everything right. BMW, e.g. does poorly in steering and suspension but does well with engine, transmission, and brakes.

Reliability is a different matter and seems to have taken a back seat at Acura. Although, given the minimal changes with the RDX refresh, perhaps they have focused on reliability for that.
Old 03-29-2022, 02:48 PM
Instructor

I think the Acura strategy is affordable entry-luxury performance. What they got right is the steering and suspension and to some extent the engine, what they got wrong is the transmission and brake feel. Most car makers don't get everything right. BMW, e.g. does poorly in steering and suspension but does well with engine, transmission, and brakes.

Reliability is a different matter and seems to have taken a back seat at Acura. Although, given the minimal changes with the RDX refresh, perhaps they have focused on reliability for that.
From what I know BMW has engine issues also.
They steering and suspension on the RDX is a plus.. But I would not say it's leaps and bounds over the 90's Acura's. They don't advertise Entry Luxury brand., They advertise Precision Crafted Performance.
Reliability I am getting the feeling this RDX will not stand up like the older ones did. I am really sorry I bought this car I should have gotten a Lexus at least they go for quality and reliability.
Honda / Acura has lost it. Really a sad day. Read the other day that they are teaming up with GM for there EV's to add insult to injury. Acura already is showing the issues with there electronics so now go with GM who is notorious for electronics and other issues .. How dumb is dumb.
Mazda made a smart decision to team up with Toyota.
Old 04-24-2022, 05:21 PM
CHL
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’ve had the same issue. A quick reboot didn’t fix it but letting the car sit for few hours did.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:31 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CHL
I’ve had the same issue. A quick reboot didn’t fix it but letting the car sit for few hours did.
After you had the most buss connectors fixed like I did?
Mine happened again after they fixed the most buss connectors.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:59 AM
CHL
3rd Gear

After you had the most buss connectors fixed like I did?
Mine happened again after they fixed the most buss connectors.
No, I have not fixed any hardware issues. The Acura Service Consultant told me that I should use the original Apple USB drive or the Apple Original cable. But, no matter what type of USB drive or cable I used, it happened occasionally.
Old 04-25-2022, 09:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CHL
No, I have not fixed any hardware issues. The Acura Service Consultant told me that I should use the original Apple USB drive or the Apple Original cable. But, no matter what type of USB drive or cable I used, it happened occasionally.
My happened with no phone attached. There is a TB for the most buss connector to fix this issue. Mine was fixed and it did it again after that. They did it one more time.
Old 04-25-2022, 10:01 AM
Instructor

My happened with no phone attached. There is a TB for the most buss connector to fix this issue. Mine was fixed and it did it again after that. They did it one more time.
Hrere is the TSB

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...60875-0001.pdf
The following users liked this post:
CHL (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 06:13 PM
Expanse me

Received 299 Likes on 226 Posts
as I went to the site above, I came across this one,
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Acura/...NEL-FUEL-GAUGE
its got them all. I looked and found a couple of things I could look at for issues, like looking at logs, etc.
GW208 (04-26-2022)
Old 05-26-2022, 11:43 AM
CHL
3rd Gear

Drive Mode Unavilable

Originally Posted by CHL
I had the most buss connectors fixed yesterday. Hope it really fixed the problem.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by CHL
I had the most buss connectors fixed yesterday. Hope it really fixed the problem.
I haven't had the problem recur since getting that done.
CHL (05-26-2022)
Old 05-26-2022, 02:52 PM
Instructor

I haven't had the problem recur since getting that done.
Glad yours is good. Mine happened again after the first fix about 4 months later.
Old 06-03-2022, 08:48 AM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
I am about 3 months after the TSB and have not seen the issue yet. However, I did experience a couple of times where I was not able to use the thumb wheel on steering wheel to change preset radio stations with the navigation on main screen. To fix that, I would put the radio on the main screen and select the station manually. After that, the thumb wheel worked again.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:56 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
After owning my 2019 RDX Advance for 4 years, I had my first occurence of "Drive Mode Not Available" with switching between day and night mode last week. The next day the problem went away. I do have evidence on an iPhone video taken off the screen. Since I have a routine, scheduled maintenance for next week, I will have them go through the Inspection Procedure section in Service Bulletin 21-009 and have the technician see if there are errors logged in the "Shutdown Reason" screen and go from there. I will probably have them order parts and have the connectors and clips replaced at a followup appointment. The flat rate repair time in the bulletin is only 1.4 hours so it should not be a big imposition. Might as well have it done since the warranty extension for this particular issue will expire for me in a couple of years. Based on a customer letter sent out advising of this issue and announcing a warranty extension for it, I would surmise that this is a common issue eventually for many owners.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:45 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by gtssenior
After owning my 2019 RDX Advance for 4 years, I had my first occurence of "Drive Mode Not Available" with switching between day and night mode last week. The next day the problem went away. I do have evidence on an iPhone video taken off the screen. Since I have a routine, scheduled maintenance for next week, I will have them go through the Inspection Procedure section in Service Bulletin 21-009 and have the technician see if there are errors logged in the "Shutdown Reason" screen and go from there. I will probably have them order parts and have the connectors and clips replaced at a followup appointment. The flat rate repair time in the bulletin is only 1.4 hours so it should not be a big imposition. Might as well have it done since the warranty extension for this particular issue will expire for me in a couple of years. Based on a customer letter sent out advising of this issue and announcing a warranty extension for it, I would surmise that this is a common issue eventually for many owners.
I had 21-009 done but the "drive mode not available" issue still happened sometime afterwards. It just happened that one time and I don't feel like bringing it in again so I haven't bothered to do anything about it.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gtssenior
I had mine fixed and 6 Months them it came back again 6 months later and they fixed it again. I don''t understand either the dealer lied about the fix or Acura has no clue as to what is going on with this issue.
I have dumped my car since I hate Acura and I will never ever buy another one. They are not even in the same league as there old Legends were.The fit and finish is like an American car. It's Lexus for me from here on out, unless Lexus changes and goes to poop.
Old 04-19-2024, 05:41 PM
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Smilin_Jim
I just wanted to pass this along in case you see this so you know that you probably are not about to get stranded.

Yesterday when I started off to work, the infotainment display started going Bright/Dim/Bright/Dim like it was flipping between day and night mode. The display behind the steering wheel stayed in day mode and the headlights seemed to be staying on. A message then started popping up on the infotainment display that read "Drive Mode Change Unavailable" or something to that affect. It kept doing this during the 20 minute drive to work and again on my way to the shop. I went into the diagnostic screens and found one with a block diagram of the systems. There was one on the right that was labelled gateway and it was changing from green to red and back again about once every five seconds. In addition, two of the subsystems connected to the gateway, chassis and HVAC, were doing the same. I took it to the shop since I couldn't tell if it was an intermittent failure that could go hard at any moment or just a glitch.

The service rep called over the service supervisor, they looked at it and then he looked at me and said "well, that's a first."

Got the car back at the end of the day, they said it was just a software issue that would be fixed next pushed out update and that they had made "some adjustments to the settings" to fix it for now.

Of course the service ticket reads like it was only me saying there was a problem that they couldn't reproduce... I so love my dealership repair department. not

My car started to do the same this evening. Any suggestions?

Thanks’
Old 04-20-2024, 08:04 AM
Expanse me

Received 299 Likes on 226 Posts
Originally Posted by trevenarj
My car started to do the same this evening. Any suggestions?

Thanks’
this is a known issue. It is documented on this site.
The meter needs to be replaced.
The software in it is buggy but it cannot be updated.
This I know from experience.
get a video of the issue and send it to the dealer.

Old 04-20-2024, 09:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Funz51
this is a known issue. It is documented on this site.
The meter needs to be replaced.
The software in it is buggy but it cannot be updated.
This I know from experience.
get a video of the issue and send it to the dealer.
I did i was fixed twice by the dealer. on the second time they said they had to ask Acura if they could fix it again.
Well I dumped the car during the pandemic since I didn't lost much.Glad I did. Acura is not Acura of the 90's they are a bunch of hype. That is my opinion
After hearing and going through this and the dealer say this I will not buy another Honda / Acura product again.
THey lost a good customer by stupidness.

Funz51 (04-20-2024)