AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/)
-   -   DTC Code reader... buy or not or just... guess... (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/dtc-code-reader-buy-not-just-guess-750094/)

Jin_Chris 10-28-2009 10:08 AM

DTC Code reader... buy or not or just... guess...

Having multiple Acura's in my family collection, I am thinking of ... "should I buy DTC code reader?" or pay dealer every time bringing the car for DTC code reading..... There are 08 TL-S, 04 MDX and 95 Legend (and other toyota's) to maintain.

Recently, had d5 light blinking on 04 MDX, which is consequently stored in garage until resolving the issue. I am pretty sure it is either ATF temp sensor or 3rd/4th pressure switch. But, now dillema is how to know which one?

Is there any aftermarket code reader available which can detect such recent years Honda/Acura TRANSMISSION code also?

or should I keep paying dealer to diagnose? (I think it is around 80 bucks for code reading only... :ugh: and plus the actual part price and labor.....)

avs007 10-29-2009 01:02 AM

I have an OBD-II scanner, and love it.. I use it on all my cars, including our TL. I don't think it has any Acura specific codes tho. Mine only has GM specific codes in addition to generic OBD-II codes...

Majofo 10-29-2009 09:22 AM

You should definitely get one but make sure you get a good one.. If you want a quick & easy gauge that's not real heavy on the pocketbook then get a scanguage. If you have an iphone check the REV app by devtoasters.

Also fyi, most part stores will scan your codes for you for free..

Jin_Chris 10-29-2009 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Majofo (Post 11446624)
You should definitely get one but make sure you get a good one.. If you want a quick & easy gauge that's not real heavy on the pocketbook then get a scanguage. If you have an iphone check the REV app by devtoasters.

Also fyi, most part stores will scan your codes for you for free..

avs and Majofo

Thanks for your reply.
Yes! I am trying to find a good one to get a good one.

Can you elaborate a little more as to scangauge and REV app, I checked their webs but yet couldn't find detail info. Specifically, I am looking for a scan tool that can read Honda/Acura transmission code.

I am able to find out many of scan tools that are focused on "emission" related code reading, but not yet sure which one would be good to read Honda specific tranny code and others such as VTM code etc etc...

Or, can any scan tool read any manufacturers "numeric code" easilly if the memory map etc are standardized?

Do those Autozone (autopart store free check-up tool) tools read every single code?

Majofo 10-29-2009 09:54 AM

The OBDII - DTC's are universal so a decent reader should be able to read all of them. They're not mfg specific, so a fault code on a Ford will be the same on a Honda. The transmission DTC that occured on your X will be read by any universal reader. The only thing that most reader's won't be able to scan is the SRS codes, those can be mfg specific due to the connection & procedure. The scanguage is just neat little reader that you can keep in your glovebox and use on the fly, just like the iphone app REV. If you have an iphone I really recommend getting REV since their app development is very clean & user friendly, and it tells you the code & description of the DTC. It also allows you to clear the code & check all your readiness monitors, along with some tuning monitoring apps which is why most people use the app.

Jin_Chris 10-29-2009 12:23 PM

Majofo

Very clear! Well-understood!

Thanks