AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/)
-   -   Something is draining my battery... and it's not HFL (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/something-draining-my-battery-its-not-hfl-816895/)

tupacboy 04-24-2011 02:34 PM

Something is draining my battery... and it's not HFL

so last sunday i get to my car and my battery is completly dead... take the battery to autozone... they charge it.... i pop it back in and she starts up...

take her back to autozone... and alternator passes...

drive for a day and she's fine... the next morning... same problem... take it to autozone.. they charge it... but this time i pick it up like 4 hours later and the battery is not holding charge... no biggie... buy a new battery cause i missed acura full coverage on the battery by literally 2 weeks...

this morning... she's dead again... autozone charge it agian for me (they're literally across the street from me) and she starts up again.

Read threads on hfl error being the reason, i don't use my hfl cause i like listening to music while on the phone so i use a jawbone... press both talk and end at the same time and she passes diagnostics... read somewhere to check fuse 6 and 7 and they're clean...

any other ideas? i have a car i can borrow for a week.. should i disconnect the battery for now?

any help is greatly appreciated... thank you in advance...

nfnsquared 04-24-2011 03:12 PM

How do you know it's not HFL? Just because you don't use it doesn't mean you don't have a defective unit that's not shutting off.

Have you done a test for parasitic drain?

Do you have any electrical mods?

You need to either disconnect it up in the overhead console or pull fuse #6 (you'll lose some other items if you go this route) and see if your problem goes away.

Since you don't use HFL, I'd just disconnect it in the console.

Do a search, there are plenty of threads on testing for parasitic drain and disconnecting the HFL.

tupacboy 04-24-2011 04:38 PM

hi

thanks for the response...

i'll take it off and let you know how it goes... i was under the impression that people had a error message on their hfl.... "booting" or something like that...
=)

everything on her is stock.. no mods

TLMunchkin37 04-25-2011 03:04 PM

Good luck with this. I know many people, including myself has suffered the battery drain from the HFL unit.

I don't ever use mine either, but it doesn't mean it's not active or working. The way I noticed mine was in "booting up" aka battery drain mode, was to scroll through the options on my dash until HFL was selected and then press the Select button. It read "HFL Booting Up".

I would have never known it was doing so unless I happen to press that button while playing around. I brought it to the dealer for some other issues and mentioned that. Turns out the units faulty and being replaced under warranty. Good luck!

Mista 04-26-2011 11:18 AM

What is HFL? Sorry guys

justnspace 04-26-2011 11:25 AM

Hands Free Link - otherwise known as bluetooth

TLMunchkin37 04-26-2011 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mista (Post 12898819)
What is HFL? Sorry guys

Ditto Justnspace.

Don't worry, you're not the only one. I used this acronym at the Acura dealer service desk and the Acura "trained" service writer didn't know what it meant. :thumbsup:

tupacboy 05-17-2011 06:13 PM

hi guys.. sorry for the delay i had to leave town for business for a couple weeks

I dropped off the car before i left... turned out it was a short in the a/c relay? costs me 60 bux with labor...

car works fine with no problems... been a week..

TLMunchkin37 05-17-2011 08:33 PM

Thanks for the follow up post; hopefully this solves your issue completely. Good luck!

gr8one_24 05-21-2011 11:24 PM

Tl's run hot under the hood, high amounts of heat are known to cause issues with batteries and drain them prematurely. It's not uncommon to replace a battery every 1-2 years.

mdrolet77 05-22-2011 04:04 PM

Do you have a gps tracking installed in ur car ( antitheft...)
It does that when the car gets a few years old and battery gets weaker due to wear, since the tracking device is always on, it will drain the battery quite quickly since the capacity of your battey reduces over time.

Moe Ock 01-28-2019 01:47 PM

where is the console for it

Originally Posted by nfnsquared (Post 12893827)
How do you know it's not HFL? Just because you don't use it doesn't mean you don't have a defective unit that's not shutting off.

Have you done a test for parasitic drain?

Do you have any electrical mods?

You need to either disconnect it up in the overhead console or pull fuse #6 (you'll lose some other items if you go this route) and see if your problem goes away.

Since you don't use HFL, I'd just disconnect it in the console.

Do a search, there are plenty of threads on testing for parasitic drain and disconnecting the HFL.

Trying ti to find the hfl console can’t locate it

thoiboi 01-28-2019 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Moe Ock (Post 16372798)

Trying ti to find the hfl console can’t locate it

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...hrome&ie=UTF-8