AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   4G TL Tires, Wheels & Suspension (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-298/)
-   -   TEIN SS with EDFC self install (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-298/tein-ss-edfc-self-install-812466/)

jnc2000 03-21-2011 07:51 AM

TEIN SS with EDFC self install

Was a major PITA, but well worth it in the end. A big thank you to forum member and friend gerzand.

Bottom line, each the fronts took less time then one of the rear. Overall the suspension on the 4G is more then a PITA to work on then the 3G - and at the recommended drop levels that TEIN gives you the OEM 18's do tuck.

The EDFC is not too bad. Depending on where you install the controller is another story. I chose the glove box which meant dropping the HVAC blower unit to access the grommet on the passenger side firewall.

More picture forth coming - but for now, cell phone pics.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._3882190_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...1_918653_n.jpg

BLACKURA_NY 03-21-2011 08:59 AM

OMG! Sex on wheels

I am so sad that I can't put my coils on my TLs anymore... i use my car for work more than ever now (25-30k a year) and I regularly have important corporate partners in the car, so driving a slammed, bouncy car isn't ideal...

i like my H&R springs, but DAMMMNN your car is looking BOSS :thumbsup:

jnc2000 03-21-2011 09:07 AM

Thank you!

Oh I drive.... believe me 30-45k a year :)

just crossed 12k this weekend. Even with this ride height it is not bouncy or harsh, actually on the TEIN recommended setting (6) it's softer then stock at this height. I have 3 presets for my driving programed into the EDFC - 6, 8, and 10 - even at 10 the ride isn't bad. I wouldn't feel ashamed taking a vendor or partner out in this car at all (as I oven do!)

I'm very very impressed with the TEIN setup - esp with the addition of the EDFC controller.

With my custom 19x9 RonJons coming and the RonJon grill I'll be set for summer :ninja:

BLACKURA_NY 03-21-2011 10:35 AM

maybe i should ditch the H&R's and go with tein SS again... decisions decisions decisions

still drooling at your pics!!

FYAH TL 03-21-2011 04:40 PM

Nice mod OP. I have 20's and with the TEIN SS the ride is just smooth...Looking at the pics you might need a camber kit based on how low you go.

djtanveer 03-21-2011 04:52 PM

that looks amazing!!!!!
so how would you rate the installation difficulty on a scale of 1-10? 1 being the easiest. I plan on eventually getting coils and would like to install them myself.

rondog 03-21-2011 04:54 PM

Justin, call me, I have updated 3D images of your wheels. I say 5 spokes instead of 7, saves weight.

gerzand 03-21-2011 06:27 PM

Thanks for the recognition Justin. I now consider myself a "master" EDFC installer LOL. It was fun...and time consuming. But nothing is better than seeing the fruits of ones labor!

jnc2000 03-21-2011 06:43 PM

Those pictures are pre-alignment. We had to undo a bit of the rear suspension to get the rear struts out.

As for difficulty - make sure you have a friend, and knowing the TL's suspension is very helpful. Both andy (grezand) and I have worked on the 3rd gen's suspension before installing our own, and others coilovers.

For the 4th Gen TEIN SS you will re-use the OEM top hats. it does require un-doing of a bit of the rear suspension to remove the strut. You can do it without removing the end-links but it's a PITA. Front's are way easy. You're normal 14mm and 12mm bolts up top, and the bolts holding in the forks and it drops away.

If I had to rate the difficulty with EDFC I would put it at a 9. If you choose to use the OEM grommet on the firewall to pull the front EDFC wires through you'll find it's not accessible by removing the glove box. You must drop the blower motor in order to access the grommet and pull the wires through. Then tap into a 12v switched, 12v constant (fuse panel with open slot in kick panel) ground, and dimmer in for the EDFC unit.

BLACKURA_NY 03-21-2011 07:37 PM

^ when i installed the EDFC on my 3G, i actually clipped the wires in half... and ran it through the firewall that way... it was easier than trying to run it through with the large plastic plugs on it

jnc2000 03-21-2011 07:47 PM

The plugs weren't that bad... it's more the location on the 4G that sucks.

Allan, check out my other thread for updated pictures:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...1#post12801919

I vote you get the TEIN's on you're new 4G :thumbsup:

Nexson 03-21-2011 09:00 PM

that looks fantastic, i wanted to just get springs, i am stick of crappy rides on my accord when lowered on all sorts of suspensions. Even had tein ss.

You can assure the ride is good?, Worth it to get the EDFC?

upnout 03-21-2011 09:19 PM

It looks good dropped
good mod

Steven Bell 03-21-2011 11:42 PM

jnc, the coils make all the difference in the world. I know you have a huge sense of accomplishment because you did it yourself. Congrats man.....

2011 National AcuraZine Meet-Kansas City-June 12, 2011-Details Here!

jnc2000 03-22-2011 04:47 AM

Nexson -- Ride is real good even with drop. Without EDFC and adjusted to TEIN's recommend setting (full hard) then back off 10 -- so that makes it 6 and 6 front and rear it runs slightly softer then stock. With the OEM 18's I feel less imperfections in the road, and it still remains taught when needed.

upnout -- Agree I can't stop looking at it. My friend and I are going to have to compare clearances and ride heights from 4G to 3G because he has a similar drop

Steven -- The coils do make a difference - knowing I did the work again, while in the end may have busted a few knuckles was well worth it. I have a whole new admiration for my car!

jnc2000 03-23-2011 02:36 PM

I was right.. right now I'm running a -3.1 in the rear and a -1.3 in the front.

Time to order the camber kit :)

Even with all that suspension work toe wasn't that much out of alignment. I'm glad I bought the unlimited alignment package though because I'll sure be using it :D

midnite_tl 08-05-2011 03:23 PM

Had Teins installed in July when I was home I leave, didn't have the time to do it myself, but I couldn't be happier, EDFC to follow in the fall.

Thanks jnc for selling me on the Tein SS this past spring.

Running -2.75 in the rear and front is good with a 1.25" drop, suggestions for correcting this camber issue?? Alignment shop claims I have no room for a camber correction kit, wheels are too wide.

KB1Spec 08-08-2011 01:42 PM

You install your EDFC at the glove box? I installed my on the coin tray between the shifter and radio unit.

jnc2000 08-08-2011 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by midnite_tl (Post 13142948)
Had Teins installed in July when I was home I leave, didn't have the time to do it myself, but I couldn't be happier, EDFC to follow in the fall.

Thanks jnc for selling me on the Tein SS this past spring.

Running -2.75 in the rear and front is good with a 1.25" drop, suggestions for correcting this camber issue?? Alignment shop claims I have no room for a camber correction kit, wheels are too wide.

if the rim / wheel combo your running will not allow correction after camber kit installation it's time to roll your fenders.

drop + wide wheels/aggressive offset(s) often necessitate rolling of fenders. to achieve that perfect stance.

jnc2000 08-08-2011 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by KB1Spec (Post 13148015)
You install your EDFC at the glove box? I installed my on the coin tray between the shifter and radio unit.

Yupp :)

http://www.jczechphotography.com/Car...07_88UEW-L.jpg

KB1Spec 08-08-2011 02:17 PM

I thought about in the glove but kind of far reach if I want to adjust the suspension on the fly. So I put it inside the coin tray. Will post pic later...

jnc2000 08-08-2011 02:20 PM

I don't usually adjust the suspension on the fly... 12F / 11R seems about the perfect combo for my driving / road conditions.

Plus, I store a small bottle of cologne in the "Not An Ashtray" for the ladies :P

KB1Spec 08-08-2011 02:45 PM

lol good call

KB1Spec 08-08-2011 03:41 PM

My EDFC
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ior/edfc02.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ior/edfc01.jpg

midnite_tl 08-09-2011 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by jnc2000 (Post 13148020)
if the rim / wheel combo your running will not allow correction after camber kit installation it's time to roll your fenders.

drop + wide wheels/aggressive offset(s) often necessitate rolling of fenders. to achieve that perfect stance.

I just might do that, well I can't do anything over here, but I will be back in a couple weeks and then I will get back at it. My only other option is rotate the tires more often to keep the wear down I guess.

Zelaya 05-22-2012 10:55 AM

Hey KB1Spec, can you close the " This is not a ashtray" with the EDFC? I'm still thinking either install it on the glove compartment or your setup.

Blueberryyumyum 05-23-2012 11:51 AM

Not to bring this thread back from the dead but which chamber kit did you choose to go with?? I would PM you but think many lurkers on this forum will probably want to know as well =)

potmilkz 05-23-2012 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Blueberryyumyum (Post 13794350)
Not to bring this thread back from the dead but which chamber kit did you choose to go with?? I would PM you but think many lurkers on this forum will probably want to know as well =)

off topic. lol

but to answer your question, go with spc.

Blueberryyumyum 05-23-2012 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by potmilkz (Post 13794472)
off topic. lol

but to answer your question, go with spc.

How is asking which camber kit he choose off topic?? Is the question suspension related to JNC's setup? Yes... Has JNC clearly stated the amount of drop he's on with the neg camber he was currently at on post #16? Yes... Thanks for answering the "off topic question" which wasn't directed towards you :toocool:

potmilkz 05-23-2012 04:28 PM

clearly you haven't done your research..
there is only two possible camber kit on the market.

spc or j-power.

spc = more expensive, quality is top notch
j-power = less expensive, unknown quality but vouched by many members

now really think to yourself.. which one JNC used on his 40k car..
its not rocket science

Blueberryyumyum 05-23-2012 07:55 PM

Ingalls and Eibach also make camber kits as well for the 4G.. Clearly you haven't done your research... All are reputable brands with comparable prices..

Researching> E-Thuggin:thumbsup:

jnc2000 05-23-2012 11:32 PM

SPC guys... its not really a question :)

VRCD_NY 06-07-2012 02:40 PM

Just a stupid question, im getting my tein ss today, will it void my warranty? Jnc your whip looks sick!! Thanks guys!!!

jnc2000 06-07-2012 08:23 PM

No the manufacture can not blatantly void the warranty on the car due to the installation of an aftermarket part. However, if the aforementioned aftermarket component causes a failure / or compromises the integrity of an OEM part which would question the legality of a warranty clause they would be within their rights to void the warranty on that part of the car.

IE: Coil overs -- and you have suspension problems afterwords.
-- they couldn't not cover something not directly related (ex: EGR/ drive train -- unless the it is a drive-shaft and they intent to prove adverse wear due to stress of the aftermarket component....) -- you see its really a grey area in you need to really read up on your rights as a consumer. Hold the dealer to the wall if you have an issue, and don't be afraid to press it if you feel you are within your rights. Now if you cause a failure and try to get it covered... man up and pay for it.

sympley 07-22-2012 06:49 PM

question from a noob here, if I go with the TEIN SS and don't drop the height too much do I still need the camber kit?

dragonwang 07-22-2012 07:48 PM

Most likely not. My H&R dropped the fronts and rear by an average of 1.3" F/1.4" F respectively and I did't need a camber kit.

Excelerate 07-23-2012 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by sympley (Post 13920648)
question from a noob here, if I go with the TEIN SS and don't drop the height too much do I still need the camber kit?

You would have to get an alignment or at least determine how much your camber/toe is off in order to know that for sure.

sympley 07-27-2012 06:02 PM

KB1SPEC, how did you run your wiring for the EDFC in the tray? Did you had to take the dash apart? It looks really good in that spot.

ReneC 12-12-2012 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by sympley (Post 13933852)
KB1SPEC, how did you run your wiring for the EDFC in the tray? Did you had to take the dash apart? It looks really good in that spot.

Bump on this question, I'm interested in that area in general and would appreciate any info on how that part of the dash comes apart.

potmilkz 12-12-2012 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Blueberryyumyum (Post 13795479)
Ingalls and Eibach also make camber kits as well for the 4G.. Clearly you haven't done your research... All are reputable brands with comparable prices..

Researching> E-Thuggin:thumbsup:

oh sorry i miss this.. but were you looking for just a front ball joint and a rear toe arm? because that is what Ingall offers.
what about your rear lateral arm and rear camber arm? I was under the impression that you were looking for a full 3 piece rear kit with a front ball joint kit..

You are right that they are all reputable brands but Eibach and SPC are the same product, eibach just sells it with their name on it. if you go to eibach and spc website and look at their part number, you will know..

CLEARLY you havent done your research..