AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/)
-   -   Catalytic converter problem----2005 TL----- (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/catalytic-converter-problem-2005-tl-690522/)

2000tl32 10-06-2008 12:54 PM

Catalytic converter problem----2005 TL-----

All,

I just bought a 2005 TL with 102k miles. I bought 3 days ago and just yesterday, the check engine light came on. I took it into Acura Delearship and they read code to be a bad cadillac converter.

Is cadillac converter a problem with TLs? Could this code show up if one is using bad gas or could there any other causes for this problem?

Thank You,

LoveMyTL-S 10-06-2008 02:15 PM

Don't mean to be funny, but do you mean Catalytic converter? Cadillac is a car model. Not sure on the cause of the error code. Perhaps someone else can chime in. Perhaps this will help:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...rter+catalytic

Here's another thread that may help:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...c+converter+tl

NedShneebly 10-06-2008 02:17 PM

oh, man! I'm going to go out on a limb and say it was the catalytic converter.

If you can provide the actual codes that it spit out some of the guys here are really good about trouble shooting them.

Until then, expect to take a few jabs about the "cadillac" thing.

Brettg 10-06-2008 05:11 PM

There can be other faults besides a bad cat that can set a bad cat code, air leaks, exhaust leaks, bad oxy sensors, so beware.

Not to say you cant have a bad one, they can melt down from misfires, get contaminated, or fall apart inside.

The ones on the camry we had went past 250,000 miles though....

Brett

01tl4tl 10-07-2008 11:41 AM

excessive heat from frequent racing does them in so does 87 gas over a period of years
or using actual leaded gas (airplanes still use it ans some think higher octane is better for racing but they dont understand octane ratings and a TL)

BUT
codes are a only a clue- not a diagnosis!!!!!

Take it to a private (not name brand) local muffler shop and ask them to test the cat
Most do it for free- since replacement mandates a form for the govt saying what the failure was from and the mileage etc, so they have to diagnose it- not just replace

They will do an internal pressure test and flow test on it- it passes or it fails
You could have something as simple as dirty egr ports in the intake manifold~
dont trust codes- use them to find the real problem

the muffler shop can supply you with a smog legal cat for a good price or check with azine vendor, Excelerate- he has normal to hi performance ones available-$300

bhelsdon 10-07-2008 11:41 AM

Catalyst codes are the worst, sooo many possablities.

2000tl32 10-08-2008 12:26 AM

The code I got was P0420.

YeuEmMaiMai 10-08-2008 02:15 AM

a infared reader goes a long way towards helping diag cat problems and most exhaust shops should have them

01tl4tl 10-08-2008 04:13 AM

0420 means several things
go to a muffler shop and tell them engioen light on - they can INSPECT diagnose and replace as needed

I hate cars 10-08-2008 09:48 PM

It's either a bad post cat 02 or a bad cat. Like was mentioned, use an infared heat gun and point it on the cat. The cat should be hotter than the rest of the exhaust. If it's cooler it's not working.

Causes for a bad cat are many but usually associated with excess heat or contamination.

SodaLuvr 10-13-2008 12:01 AM

I heard catalytic converter failures aren't uncommon on late model Honda and Toyota vehicles.

Too bad you're past the 8/80k emission control warranty or else it'd be warrantied. Maybe you could request consideration for goodwill assistance on this repair? Catalytic converters are very expensive.

dechlin 10-13-2008 01:58 AM

You have a bad cat. Sounds like the previous owner knew this and probbly cleared the code.

2000tl32 10-15-2008 09:07 PM

you are right. I believe the previous owner knew about this and he passed on to me. It is weird because it comes and it goes off on its own. When I drive long for more than an hour or so, it goes off when I park the car for longer than 3 hours. However, when I drive in street, it comes back on. For example, when the check engine light was on, I drove straight 75 miles without any stop, after a 4 hour break, the check engine went away. I did drive the car for 3 days and last night when I drove the store which is 5 miles away, it came back on.

Do you guys really believe its cat? I took to a close by mechanic, it will cost 800. the damn part is 450.

I hate cars 10-15-2008 11:12 PM

It could just as easily be the 02 sensor after the cat. Don't worry about the timing of the check engine light in this case. There are certain paramters that have to be met to turn it on and off.

Put the car on a scanner and look for a dead 02 sensor or as suggested before, put a temp probe on the convertor and compare it to the rest of the exhaust. Troubleshooting this sort of thing is very easy.

2000tl32 10-16-2008 12:57 AM

Does anyone have the tool? I live in San Diego. Anyone know of shop that might able to do this? I dont want to take to a dealership. They charge three legs and an arm

CelestialRL05 01-06-2009 10:21 PM

Just wondering-- since I am having the same issue with my 05'RL -- have you guys cleared the 0420 code and driven afterwards only to have the codes come back repeatedly? I know 200tl32 is having this intermittent (coming and going issues) with the P0420-- just wondering since my car is at 77K right now-- and want to take advantage of while under warranty if possible.
thanks in advance for any feedback.

Sal's Type S 01-07-2009 01:13 PM

guys check for service bulletins a lot times they can be fixed by re flashing the computer. what happens when the cars are new or the original parameters on the catalytic converters is set to tight, when the converters gets a bit older the parameters go wider on them the light goes on, even though the converter is still doing a good job of cleaning the exhaust. what you can also do is go on the Honda/Acura website and check for the service bulletins yourself it cost around 15to20 for a days worth of info, but you could find a lot of stuff that the dealer wont tell you. This is the same info they look at when you take your vehicle in for service.

01tl4tl 01-07-2009 03:36 PM

cats and some other emission parts carry an 8/80 warranty- get to the dealer immedialty

Others, have a muffler shop test the cat and mufflers- they do it for free and you can buy really good replacement cat from azine vendor Excelerate- for $300, instead of $1000 at the dealer

ssmtl2nv 01-09-2009 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl (Post 10364973)
cats and some other emission parts carry an 8/80 warranty- get to the dealer immedialty

Others, have a muffler shop test the cat and mufflers- they do it for free and you can buy really good replacement cat from azine vendor Excelerate- for $300, instead of $1000 at the dealer

+1 thank god for pre cat deletes and test pipes, in most cases...

edsebrab 12-06-2014 10:27 AM

Bad Ed

I have a 2006 STS with a V6 . a check engine light came on,
I check the codes and its for the cats. I'm waiting for the muffler shop to open to have the car checked out .But I already know what he is going to say . Some things you can look for ,after the car gets to temp- it will run hotter , you won't get the gas mileage ,you can notice how the car performs. and when it
gets bad you can hear a rattling coming from your cat-and when that happens its coming apart. Broken parts will go out and some will block the exhaust pipe . when your car can't exhaust
it will stop running. :ugh: :ugh:
This is my go to work car I get 25 mpg on free way.
My other car is a 1967 chevelle with a Ls6 - 6 speed out of a cts-v and a little work to the engine.:toocool::thumbsup:

ArAbiAnArAb 12-07-2014 10:22 AM

I had the p0420 problem on mine and I have an 08 TL...the light would go on and off randomly..sometimes it would go off for 2 weeks sometimes it would go off for 5 hours and then come back on,...6 months ago I tried the defouler trick...I haven't had that p0420 code come up at all again...ask your mechanic about it and if he don't know what you're talkjng about then find another mechanic...do a google search and you'll find it (I think it tricks the computer into skipping over the readings from the O2 sensor, not sure tho)...but it worked 100% for me...it did not work for my friends 2005 altima tho...best of luck man!