Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

i hate ATT Wireless

Old 01-07-2004, 10:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i hate ATT Wireless

Those fuckers at ATT disable the internet browser on the 3560 phones and they make you pay 30 bucks more for the 3595 WHICH IS THE SAME GODDAMN PHONE.. when i went to the ATT place to sign up for Mmode, the lady told me that my phone didnt have browsing capabilities, when my GF has the SAME FUCKING MODEL at cingualr and she can. the lady said i was mistaken and i told her she was unknowledgable and in the wrong line of work, so i just walked out after that.. i mean hell, i bought the phone for custom wallpapers and polyphonic ringtones, and those fuckers crippled my phone!!! tehy also told me that if i took my same phone to Cingular for activiation that Cingular couldnt do anything to bring the internet features back. i know this is all BS, but hell its not even worth it to make a scene in public. i can live with a white background on this damn phone
Old 01-07-2004, 10:54 PM
Race Director

I read your comments and I understand what you are saying except for one part: "...Cingular couldnt do anything to bring the internet features back..." What exactly do you mean by that if I might ask?
Old 01-07-2004, 11:31 PM
Banned

ATT said theat they disabled that feature on my phone PERMANENTLY.. like there was no bringing it back, basically they claim they sabotaged my phone.. bunch of morons, i know they didnt but like i said the lady had no clue what her job knowledge encompassed and she was about as ignorant as a 7 year old with cell phones
Old 01-08-2004, 12:01 AM
Race Director

Sorry just trying to understand what you are saying.

The 3560 is a TDMA phone on ATT that cannot access mMode. So therefore that feature (the "browser" is not available in that phone. So I'm not sure what "disabled" means and how it is used with "permanent" but the fact is, the feature is not there, never was there, never will be...in the model 3560. Even it you somehow managed to get a browser, ATT doesn't operate mMode on TDMA, so it wouldn't work...the browser would be useless.

No one at the ATT store can "bring back" those features to that phone. They don't have to tools or the technical capability so perhaps they sounded like morons because they were taking credit for doing something like disabling or whatever; that was probably mischaracterized on their part, but....

The 3560 just simply cannot download ringers and screensavers and other downloads thru neither ATT nor Cingular's network. It will only do whatever is initially programmed into the phone which is about 5 games and a handful of wallpaper and color schemes. OTOH, the 3595 is a GSM phone and it is mMode ready. Which means it will do all of those cool things that you are looking for. Polyphonic ringers, pictures, screensavers, the works.

Contrary to popular belief, the 3560 <> 3595; completely different phones. Of course, to Nokia they are very similar phones, but they were customized and delivered to ATT per ATTs directions and instructions.

This is the proverbial pitfall of the ATT dual-network...the customer thinks the phones and the service are alike, when in fact, they are dissimilar, from phone to phone, from city to city. Never mind the price, that has nothing to do with the capabilities of the phone. This is what I am reading and interpreting from the ATT website (and a little bit of personal knowledge). I'm sure there are naysayers and underground forums that beg to differ. But I can assure you of one thing, there is nothing that Cingular can do to "revive" your ATT phone unless they can successfully reflash your software...which I doubt they can without damaging the phone. Come to think of it, even if they could, I don't think Cingular even delivers those premium services across their TDMA network.

Bottom line is my friend your 3560 is a TDMA phone. TDMA is near obsolete, so it doesn't do much of anything anymore (and neither do the TDMA phones). Nokia handsets that end with xx60 are of the TDMA variety (6160, 6360, 6560, etc). If you like mMode and all the coolness, make sure your Nokia phone model ends with xx90 or xx95 for older phones and the all the new phones end with xx00.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:12 AM
Banned

ok hotshot.. well all i know is my GF can download polyphonic ringtones by going to a website and ordering one, then going to the thing on her phones browser and getting it.. i cannot because i dont have the browser thing. i forgot what the letters for it are, im not a badass like you.. but yea shes got the 3560. that was my point, and it pisses me off that i cannot have the most primitive of internet features.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:18 AM
Banned

obviouslly you know more than me, but still i think youre wrong on this.. my gf has the Noka 3560 on Cingular's network. i got her a ringtone from www.zingy.com or some shit and she has a UGA Bulldog wallpaper on her phone... so explain that,s ince you say that 3560 cannot access the internet in any form with either ATT or Cingular.

hotshot!!!

hahahahaha im just joking
Old 01-08-2004, 12:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a question, where did your gf obtain the phone? Cingular doesn't seem to sell the 3560 according to their website, but they do sell the 3590.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:32 AM
Banned

she got it through cingular. i opened up the battery and looked at the phone code in the back of it. yes. 3-5-6-0. its the same phone seriously
Old 01-08-2004, 12:32 AM
Banned

i remember reading online somehweere that ATT disables browsing features of their 3560s... ill try to find the site again
Old 01-08-2004, 12:37 AM
Banned

http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/3560

Service Providers (For the 3560)

AT&T Wireless
Cellular 2000 of St. Cloud
Cingular Wireless Phone appearance varies for Cingular Wireless. View>>

theyre just not showing it on the cingular site anymore, but yea they supported it at one time..
Old 01-08-2004, 07:46 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally posted by 97-3-pt-OH-C-el
i got her a ringtone from www.zingy.com or some shit and she has a UGA Bulldog wallpaper on her phone... so explain that,s ince you say that 3560 cannot access the internet in any form with either ATT or Cingular.

ringtones are sent as a text message and i believe wallpaper is sent as a text also. if it has internet capabilities, it will download thru the site.

there NEVER were mmode capabilities on the 3560, and never were. tdma only offered the ericsson r280lx, r289lx and the mitsubishi t250 as internet (CDPD) phones. and that service on tdma has benn axed for about 1 yr. it was not profitable and frankly not many people used it.

GSM phones are more expensive to make, a good analogy is a 97 accord and 97 cl. the accord is the 3560 and the cl is the 3595.
the 3595 has more bells and whistles compared to the 3560 for a little more $$
Old 01-08-2004, 06:15 PM
Race Director

Thank you dallison. All Nokia phones on the planet have a backdoor or hidden or feature capability that will allow you to send "primitive" ringtones and/or pictures to the phone via a properly formed text message string. It is an underground/backdoor feature. I say this because it is carrier is largely unable to prevent it if you have text messaging available. But sometimes you have errors because the carrier's network doesn't pass the text message properly or corrupts it. You will ony find this on the rogue Internet sites and various "how tos". It isn't supported by Cingular. Meaning they can't bill you for it and if you go into the store(s), they certainly can't tell you how to do it. All they know it isn't available and they are trained to point the customer to the new and supported features which are found in the 3595 and mMode.

Before there was even such a thing as a browser, I could send cute ringers etc to a old old Nokia phone. Didn't need a browser. But I guess today, there are "legitimate" companies that will perform this for you and they might even charge a minimal fee. My point is, you seem to feel that ATT or Cingular is somehow trying to prevent you for doing this. And you feel that they are reluctant to provide these services back to you upon your request. I simply don't think that is so. If you want your 3560 to do they things, unfortunately you'll have to do a little work on your own to make it happen by searching the Internet.

BTW, going to zingy.com is not accessing the Internet. Not by any mean. I'm only saying all this because I was in the same situation years ago. Before all the new goodies were on today's phone, I too was trying to figure out how to get stuff to the phone. All Nokias have native code that will allow this. Whether the carrier (ATT, Cingular) implements it or not, it's up to them. That's why I said "The 3560 just simply cannot download ringers and screensavers and other downloads thru neither ATT nor Cingular's network...." Also note if the code was supported by the carrier, it probably wasn't perfected and tested. Meaning there's no guarantee that all the zillions of file formats and screen saver sizes and ringtone midis and mp3 etc will all work.

My only reason why I commented on the 3595 is when the carrier decided to implement all the Internet goodies, instead of "enabling" them on your 3560 phone, they created and sold the 3595 where everything is all nice and neat and tidy and it's call mMode. No more risking corrupting your phone with a rogue ringtone from www.sendtonestomyphone.com.

Sorry I misunderstood your post. I thought you said your GF had the same f*ing model and her phone had a browser in it and yours didn't (because it was disabled).
Old 01-08-2004, 06:21 PM
Race Director

Important information you should know about receiving ringtone from sites like zingy...they're all the same:

Why do I need to have text-messaging enabled?
Zingy sends its ringtones and group graphics through text-messages only. If you don't have a subscription plan including text-messaging service, please contact your carrier and ask them to enable it.

Does my phone need to be internet enabled to get Zingy features?
Zingy polyphonic ringtones, digitized audio features, my pictures and color wallpapers require your mobile device to be internet enabled. All other features only require basic text messaging services.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:47 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
kensteele i couldn't have said it better