HELP! Immobilizer green light flashing!

Old 08-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HELP! Immobilizer green light flashing!

Okay guys, I need to get some info if you can help. I have an 2000 Acura TL with 280,000 and going strong. I was going drown the highway and a green light started flashing on the dash. I had no idea what that was so I immediately stopped to get the owners manual. I turned the car off to check and it said it was the immobilizer which reads the chip in the key. It says it comes on when the immobilizer cannot read the key. I tried to then start the car and it would NOT start. It almost sounded like the battery was low - had clicking sounds - would not turn then the green light started flashing again. I live in Texas and its been 105 degrees since late May. I looked on-line and another mechanic (that you have to pay) had an answer from someone that had the same problem as me and he said it was not her key - it was a dead battery. Is this true? Can your battery connection be lose and cause the immobilizer not to read the key and cause the light to flash? Any help would be great. I am asking my boyfriend to take the battery to get it checked out. If it happens to be the battery how do you get the key programmed again or will it just work once a new battery is put in? THANKS
Old 08-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same thing happen to me about a year ago , one thing I can assure you Its is not the battery , it is either the ignition switch or there is a relay that sends power to the immobilizer that could be bad , mine turned out to be that relay and not the ignition switch
The following users liked this post:
E Robles (06-28-2020)
Old 08-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Advanced

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the response. I hope it was too expensive to fix. I will print out and let my mechanic know what it could be so he can check it out before he does anything. I just heard it could be the battery.

I look forward to hearing from anyone with the same problem.

I assume you had to tow it and the person who fixed it was able to program the key? Do you know if they had to reprogram the key?
E Robles (06-28-2020)
Old 08-25-2011, 01:19 PM
Advanced

question...

Is there a way to check the ignition switch to see if it's bad?
Old 08-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
First things first. Have your battery tested. If you turn the key and get clicking sounds usually its the battery. If the immobilizer isnt reading the key the car cranks and cranks and cranks but wont fire.

Last edited by fsttyms1; 08-25-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:11 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
First things first. Have your battery tested. If you turn the key and get clicking sounds usually its the key. If the immobilizer isnt reading the key the car cranks and cranks and cranks but wont fire.
I disagree w/ that. Usually it's the battery and/or connections if all it does is click.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:46 PM
Advanced

checking the battery

I know one person said it was not the battery BUT when I was driving and the light kept blinking off and on and I parked and turned the car off. When I tried to restart the car - there was that sound it makes - making fast clicking noises like its done when my battery was going out before. You know - it makes those clicking sounds - then finally nothing because its totally dead. It made the clicking noise then the green key light would blink a few times BUT it would never want to crank over. I would turn the key - and it was not acting like it could even crank up. I will let you all know what happens tomorrow. Maybe I can be of help to someone too!

I do think it does something to the mobilizer because it wont start the car and that light is blinking. ONly thing is - if its the battery - do I have to reprogram the key? I only have one key that was made since I only had one original key and that one was lost. Since then I found it but it doesn't work because it was reprogrammed.

Last edited by mendozad; 08-25-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
you can reprogram that old key again,,see our diy section

changing car battery does not erase the key!
it will cause the radio to lock- need your security code
or run a jumper wire from outside power to the fusebox to prevent that problem
The following 2 users liked this post by 01tl4tl:
E Robles (06-28-2020), Robert rumph (03-15-2022)
Old 08-25-2011, 06:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by totaledTL
I disagree w/ that. Usually it's the battery and/or connections if all it does is click.
Good catch, stupid phone, Supposed to be "Battery"
Old 08-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mendozad
I know one person said it was not the battery BUT when I was driving and the light kept blinking off and on and I parked and turned the car off. When I tried to restart the car - there was that sound it makes - making fast clicking noises like its done when my battery was going out before. You know - it makes those clicking sounds - then finally nothing because its totally dead. It made the clicking noise then the green key light would blink a few times BUT it would never want to crank over. I would turn the key - and it was not acting like it could even crank up. I will let you all know what happens tomorrow. Maybe I can be of help to someone too!

I do think it does something to the mobilizer because it wont start the car and that light is blinking. ONly thing is - if its the battery - do I have to reprogram the key? I only have one key that was made since I only had one original key and that one was lost. Since then I found it but it doesn't work because it was reprogrammed.
No, changing the battery wont make you have to reprogram the key.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:14 PM
Team Owner

comedien Gabreil Iglesias says his phone LIES for him!
it told his girl he was at ciniBUNS... not at a bar called Cinibons
Old 08-26-2011, 08:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
comedien Gabreil Iglesias says his phone LIES for him!
it told his girl he was at ciniBUNS... not at a bar called Cinibons
thats what happens when you try helping someone while driving 80mph down the hwy and you have predictive text and you dont proof read
Old 08-26-2011, 10:08 AM
Advanced

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!! I have my answer!!

First thanks to all of you for your help. You always come through and I so depend on YOU!

It was a DEAD battery! I had no idea it could cause what happened. Please make a note in case someone has the SAME problem. I think if I would have called a wrecker - taken to the dealership - it would have been a LOT of $$$.

While driving down the highway at 65 mph my dash light - green key - (immobilizer light) started blinking and did not stop. I pulled off the road turned the car off and got the manual to check what the display light was. It was the immobilizer light - then I learned its the thing that reads the key. I then tried to start the car but it would not start and the green key started blinking. It tried to start it - it had that clinking sound like when your battery is dying and needs a boost. I called for help. Later in the day went back to check the car - learned it could be the battery, inginition switch or a relay. Gave the car a boost and it WAS the battery. The key worked fine so it did read it - it was just the battery. Got a new battery and now I have a car that works and didn't have to do anything else!

THANKS! Happy 2000 TL driver with 280,000 miles and going strong!

Last edited by mendozad; 08-26-2011 at 10:13 AM.
01tl4tl (08-26-2011)
Old 08-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Drifting

thats what happens when you try helping someone while driving 80mph down the hwy and you have predictive text and you dont proof read
:thumbsdow

You really should refrain from doing that... esp. going 80 mph.... it's dangerous not only to you but fellow drivers. It's now illegal in KY. I don't know about other states.
03tl-s04mdx (08-26-2011)
Old 08-26-2011, 10:49 AM
Drifting

Glad you figured it out. A failing battery can cause a myriad of issues on newer cars.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Senior Moderator

You really should refrain from doing that... esp. going 80 mph.... it's dangerous not only to you but fellow drivers. It's now illegal in KY. I don't know about other states.
Thanks for the driving lesson. Little bit of info. I was on a divided interstate and i was the only car within 1 mile forward and behind me. its also illegal here, so is doing 80. No one is a saint, please dont act or try to tell me you have never done anything illegal
Old 08-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the driving lesson. Little bit of info. I was on a divided interstate and i was the only car within 1 mile forward and behind me. its also illegal here, so is doing 80. No one is a saint, please dont act or try to tell me you have never done anything illegal
It was not a driving lesson- surely you understand that. I don't claim to be a saint by any stretch of the imagination, nor do I think I act like one. I never said anything like that.

What I have witnessed, seemingly more often every day, is more people texting while driving poorly.

Anyway- don't take it the wrong way. It's not personal.
03tl-s04mdx (08-26-2011)
Old 08-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

+1 Illegal in Utah too - should be illegal to talk on the damn things too but it isn't.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:27 PM

Received 1,015 Likes on 866 Posts
Thank god it isnt illegal here in Cali and Az, Cuz I travel alot from here to there and doing 80 make things well. Faster....

But thats in Hwy tough.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:14 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Skirmich
Thank god it isnt illegal here in Cali and Az, Cuz I travel alot from here to there and doing 80 make things well. Faster....

But thats in Hwy tough.
Really-! http://dmv.ca.gov/cellularphonelaws/
Old 08-27-2011, 03:47 AM
Team Owner

its been illegal to text or hand hold your phone for over 2 years in Ca, (hands free device ok)
and the results were amazing,,
used to be 9 of 10 drivers on phone held to head
now you only see ~7 of 10 drivers making a left turn with cell phone pressed to face- their view to the left blocked -no turn signal as that hands holding the phone anyway,,,
cops should enforce that law!!!

In Ca. if you aren't going 80 you better get in the right lane!!
Old 01-10-2015, 09:35 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've stepped in it too!!
I changed my front struts and the VSA, ABS,and VTM lights came on. Instead of getting new sensors, I jumped the 4pin to the 9pin on the OBD plug. I accidently turned the ignition key passed position II. I believe it activated the Immobilization system. All the fuses seem to be good and everything electrical works fine except the fuel system because the car will not fire. ~Genius~ What to do now. The only fuse I am unable to check are the 1,2,3 auxiliary fuses on the driver side because I can't find them. I don't think that is the issue because the Green Key Light keeps flashing when I turn the key to position II and III. Any Ideas? I don't think it's my battery; I think it was me jumping that circuit that triggered the immobilization system-----Help someone.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:10 PM
7th Gear

immobilizee issue

Hey guys. New to forums and just bout a 99 tl yesterday. I had to hotwire the ignition and found out about the immobilizer yesterday. Is there a way t bypass it until I can get the thing to a shop to have a key mad and programmed? I have proof of ownership and everything. I just need to get it about 30 miles down the highway. Please help
Old 03-01-2015, 07:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jff468
Hey guys. New to forums and just bout a 99 tl yesterday. I had to hotwire the ignition and found out about the immobilizer yesterday. Is there a way t bypass it until I can get the thing to a shop to have a key mad and programmed? I have proof of ownership and everything. I just need to get it about 30 miles down the highway. Please help
No easy way to bypass it. The only way i know of is to open up the ECU and rock the Immobilizer unit back and forth till the metal breaks off the ecu board. But doing so will trigger a warning light on the dash. Many locksmiths can program the key on the spot call around and find one that does and have him come out and do so.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:26 PM
Professional Idiot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reading the original post makes me fear for the life of my '00 TL...
Old 03-10-2015, 03:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by V12 Inspire
Reading the original post makes me fear for the life of my '00 TL...
Why? Its not common something like this happens.

<------ over 600k miles on his
Old 01-15-2017, 02:11 PM
1st Gear

Flashing Immobilizer (Green Key) Indicator + Security LED indicator Not Blinking

Try to lock the rear seat access door to the trunk. It resolved 2 issues in my Acura TL 2007: 1. the green key flashing (immobilizer indicator) when driving stopped; 2. the security LED light indicator by the driver's side door started blinking again after locking the parked car. I hope this will work as well with you guys. Cheers!

Old 10-09-2019, 11:37 PM
10th Gear

Seeking help myself

Originally Posted by tabbacuramdx
I've stepped in it too!!
I changed my front struts and the VSA, ABS,and VTM lights came on. Instead of getting new sensors, I jumped the 4pin to the 9pin on the OBD plug. I accidently turned the ignition key passed position II. I believe it activated the Immobilization system. All the fuses seem to be good and everything electrical works fine except the fuel system because the car will not fire. ~Genius~ What to do now. The only fuse I am unable to check are the 1,2,3 auxiliary fuses on the driver side because I can't find them. I don't think that is the issue because the Green Key Light keeps flashing when I turn the key to position II and III. Any Ideas? I don't think it's my battery; I think it was me jumping that circuit that triggered the immobilization system-----Help someone.
Same here I just recently changed my head gaskets, radiator, thermostat, heater valve and a few other things....
In the process of working on my 05 TL
It fell off the jack due to the jack being weak and the vehicle was caught by the tire.... Long story short after completing the work I started my vehicle and begin to drive all was ok.... But out of nowhere as I was giving the vehicle gas the vsa and oil light started flashing crazy then the car shut off. I was able to restart and continue to drive back to my parking lot to check it out nothing was noticable so I drove more and it would stall when I gas to much or come to a sudden stop.... Anyway I started watching videos and saw the pin trick and tried it to only see a spark left it alone put everything back then went to restart the car to only be stuck with crank no start on top of my gear shifter not shifting unless I stick the screwdriver in the hole to depress it and manually shift I need some help please I need my car it's ready get cold and I have a 11year old In my full custody whom I have to get around email me or call JermallBrown@ymail.com
Old 10-10-2019, 08:42 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
perhaps check the ECU fuse in the engine compartment?
if you cant figure it out, take it to a mechanic...or an acura dealer.