Low Windshield Washer Fluid Warning Light Won't Turn Off

Old 05-01-2010, 04:45 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Low Windshield Washer Fluid Warning Light Won't Turn Off

Well just like the title says, that little yellow warning light on the dashboard won't shut off (even after I've topped up the windshield washer fluid).

Is there a DIY fix for this (aside from ignoring the light!) or am I going to have to pay someone $75 at a dealership to spend 2 minutes and do it for me?

Thanks folks.

James
Old 05-01-2010, 05:06 PM
2000 acura tl FPR

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
we have one of those???
Old 05-01-2010, 05:12 PM
It's the Halladay season!

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts
I have never seen this warning light.

I think you're mistaking the light for something else. What does the warning light look like?
Old 05-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by belljam
Well just like the title says, that little yellow warning light on the dashboard won't shut off (even after I've topped up the windshield washer fluid).

Is there a DIY fix for this (aside from ignoring the light!) or am I going to have to pay someone $75 at a dealership to spend 2 minutes and do it for me?

Thanks folks.

James
Is this a canadian car?
My 04 civic did that.
Get to the windshield washer reservoir, disconnect one of the plugs, dont remember which one is it . Just play around with the plugs. It is going to be an amercan ACURA with, a day time running lights, after you are done.
American cars did not come with it(fill level sensor). At least my acura which is american dont have it.

It is a $75 part+an hour labour=$200 ish at the dealer.

Last edited by spiro; 05-01-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by hANDYcaptd
I have never seen this warning light.

I think you're mistaking the light for something else. What does the warning light look like?
ALL 99-03 CANADIAN Models have this feature. If you are running low on windshield washer fluid the warning light comes on. Pretty cool feature.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:48 PM
It's the Halladay season!

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by MOBB
ALL 99-03 CANADIAN Models have this feature. If you are running low on windshield washer fluid the warning light comes on. Pretty cool feature.
So let me get this straight... Canadian models get the Aspec package, DRL, AND a washer fluid warning light?...I never knew that last one.

What don't the models get??
Old 05-01-2010, 07:22 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by assclown
we have one of those???
Yup (well you do if you got the Cdn. model! )

No mistake. Here it is:

[IMG][/IMG]

Originally Posted by spiro
Is this a canadian car?
My 04 civic did that.
Get to the windshield washer reservoir, disconnect one of the plugs, dont remember which one is it . Just play around with the plugs. It is going to be an amercan ACURA with, a day time running lights, after you are done.
American cars did not come with it(fill level sensor). At least my acura which is american dont have it.

It is a $75 part+an hour labour=$200 ish at the dealer.
Yes, I have a 2000 3.2 TL (Canada).

I hope if I play around with the plugs as you suggest that things will work out - otherwise I sure as he!! am not going to pay $200 to fix it (electrical tape cut out at the right size should do the trick! )

Yes it is a cool feature - when it's working!

So let me get this straight... Canadian models get the Aspec package, DRL, AND a washer fluid warning light?...I never knew that last one.

Well they used to come with Roy Halladay but he has been removed from the Canadian "Blue Jay" option package - and it's now an American "Phillie" special. (I'm a long suffering Blue Jays fan to boot!)

Thanks everyone for your help! Much appreciated.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Yes, its a Canadian only feature. Apparently honda thinks they need to know its lown more than the americans.

As for the problem its most likely just the sensor. Remove the clips that hold the fender liner on by the bumper and you should be able t gain access to the washer fluid tank. If not the bumper will have to come off. It is a VERY easy jon and takes all of 5-10 min to remove. There is a DIY on how to remove it. Just pick up the new sensor and swap it in.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

NAVI :t omato:
Old 05-09-2010, 02:41 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
as said more then likely the sensor itself, since it is a moving part (i think), so most likely the cause of it

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Yes, its a Canadian only feature. Apparently honda thinks they need to know its lown more than the americans.

As for the problem its most likely just the sensor. Remove the clips that hold the fender liner on by the bumper and you should be able t gain access to the washer fluid tank. If not the bumper will have to come off. It is a VERY easy jon and takes all of 5-10 min to remove. There is a DIY on how to remove it. Just pick up the new sensor and swap it in.
you will lose washer fluid though, when swapping sensors

also as far as canada getting it....., it is kinda like DRL's. mandated by the government, so they have to deal with those shitty winters, and use the washer fluid alot more often (personally i would love to have it, buit it would never come on for me though lol, cause i am not a heavy user of washer fluid, it lasts a whole oil change for me )
then also if you look at the capactity of the reservoir (iirc it is in the owner's manual even), they got a bigger one then the US cars, so they can go longer without refills

NAVI :t omato:
lol, but most of us here don't have it though
Old 12-16-2014, 12:12 PM
1st Gear

I have an '03 3.2 CL Type S. I've owned it since '07. I've let my washer fluid run low to the point the sensor came on twice. Once in '07 and again the other day. Both times the sensor stayed on after filling up the reservoir. Last time the dealer fixed it. This time I will have to fix it myself, hope I can figure it out. Pretty annoying.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Arrow Windshield washer low fluid sensor......

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Yes, its a Canadian only feature.
Apparently honda thinks they need to know its lown more than the americans.

Welcome Michael1981 !!!
Check the reservoir's sensor and connections as Fsttyms1 previously recommended or just disable it to be like all of the stateside TL's. Don't forget that the site has a "CL" forum to help ya out.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
semi related question for anyone with washer sprayer experience:

My 01 USA car broke the hose connection to sprayer on hood
Its covered by the hoods interior panel, so far I retrieved a small--very small spring from the sprayer side, the hose part is lost behind the cover

Is it best to just cut the cover back an inch at the site and pop in a new sprayer?

3.2 or Mr Handy Diagram got a part number for me?- in LGM as color please lol
THANKS !!
Old 12-16-2014, 04:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Hey, just go to the local salvage yard and find another Acura or Honda product of the same years as your TL. That stuff is all common and ya can even fit it in your pocket at the yard.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
semi related question for anyone with washer sprayer experience:

My 01 USA car broke the hose connection to sprayer on hood
Its covered by the hoods interior panel, so far I retrieved a small--very small spring from the sprayer side, the hose part is lost behind the cover

Is it best to just cut the cover back an inch at the site and pop in a new sprayer?

3.2 or Mr Handy Diagram got a part number for me?- in LGM as color please lol
THANKS !!

Just pop the clips that hold the cover on.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:15 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
you're taking all the fun out of owning a dremel