3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking noise when going over bumps '06 AT

Old 10-20-2006, 08:41 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Clicking noise when going over bumps '06 AT

Bought an '06 TL AT earlier this month. Right after delivery I noticed when going over larger bumps in the road >10mph with the windows down, I hear a metallic clicking/rattling noise from the rear wheel(s). Sounds sort of like a loose licence plate, but that's not the problem.

Took it back to the dealer, tech test drove it and heard the noise. They tightened up some suspension parts and said the noise was gone. Picked up the car and a few days later noticed the noise was still there.

I took the car back to the dealer last night and on the way did a little troubleshooting. Pulling very slightly on the parking brake when going >5 mph produces a very similar noise. The dealer noted this and said they would call today.

What's odd is that the loaner '06 TL I was given makes the same noise when going over bumps. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the solution? I can't beleive it's normal.. it sounds like an old beat up truck!
Old 10-20-2006, 09:17 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
You should hear me take off from a starting line....all kinds of weird noizes.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Once in awhile my car makes the same noise going over bumps. I haven't reported to the dealer yet, but i think this is normal since i'm not the only one who experienced this.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:26 AM
Moved to the LOU

Received 249 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by micwiltay
Bought an '06 TL AT earlier this month. Right after delivery I noticed when going over larger bumps in the road >10mph with the windows down, I hear a metallic clicking/rattling noise from the rear wheel(s). Sounds sort of like a loose licence plate, but that's not the problem.

Took it back to the dealer, tech test drove it and heard the noise. They tightened up some suspension parts and said the noise was gone. Picked up the car and a few days later noticed the noise was still there.

I took the car back to the dealer last night and on the way did a little troubleshooting. Pulling very slightly on the parking brake when going >5 mph produces a very similar noise. The dealer noted this and said they would call today.

What's odd is that the loaner '06 TL I was given makes the same noise when going over bumps. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the solution? I can't beleive it's normal.. it sounds like an old beat up truck!
I notice a noise when driving my 06. If you roll the windows down and turn off the radio I can hear the noise you are describing but mine sounds like it's coming from the front of the car. The noise is very faint but it's still there.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:56 AM
Burning Brakes

I think I hear the same noise on my car and it drives me nuts. I can hear the noise when I shut my drivers side door. I haven't been able to locate the problem yet.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:57 AM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I hard the exact same thing when my car was new! Later on at 10-11k miles it became more pronounced, especially at 2000-2500 RPMs. Turned out it was the infamous heat shield issue that has been mentioned on these forums before! There's a posting in the 3GL service garage...I think it was the Sept 2006 Acura Technline bulletin that addresses this issue and tells the dealer how to fix it.

It finally got annoying enough for me that I took it in and now it's completely silent! I especially noticed the noise when I would be inside my parking garage at work or when next to a wall or something with the windows down, you can hear the noise reflected better if that makes any sense at all! LOL Bumps too, you would hear it there as well.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:23 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i hear a noise just like this when i am backing up and then i step on the brake and just as soon as i stop, it makes the noise. don't know what it is. i'm coo with it as long as its not messing anything up. it sound like its coming from under the car.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:29 AM
Advanced

Update... the dealer located the noise and fixed it. It was a maladjusted parking brake mechanism, and they said the left brake pad was hitting the caliper when going over bumps. This be a common issue because my loaner TL made the same noise.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Ev an' Tec

Update... the dealer located the noise and fixed it. It was a maladjusted parking brake mechanism, and they said the left brake pad was hitting the caliper when going over bumps. This be a common issue because my loaner TL made the same noise.
I just started getting the same noise today, also on the left side. (Sometimes, it seemed impossible to tell where it came from.) It too also was only over bumps. It almost sounded like engine-knocking, but it had nothing to do with stepping on the gas, and I was using Sunoco 93 (not that gas stations can't play games with octane). Same kind of situation, car about 6 weeks old. So I'm going to check on the parking brake (as well as have them look into that heat-shield issue). So thanks for the follow-up!

About 2 weeks ago, there was an easier-to-fix rattle, which turned out to be a rear seat-belt clicking on something in the back seat. Sliding the metal part up to the top of the seat fixed that.

The funny thing is, most of the time I drive, I try to avoid bumps and there are still too many of them. Then, something like this happens and I have to go looking for a pothole to re-produce it and I can't find any!
Old 11-06-2006, 08:12 PM
Ev an' Tec

Originally Posted by evantec
I just started getting the same noise today, also on the left side. (Sometimes, it seemed impossible to tell where it came from.) It too also was only over bumps. It almost sounded like engine-knocking, but it had nothing to do with stepping on the gas, and I was using Sunoco 93 (not that gas stations can't play games with octane). Same kind of situation, car about 6 weeks old. So I'm going to check on the parking brake (as well as have them look into that heat-shield issue). So thanks for the follow-up!

About 2 weeks ago, there was an easier-to-fix rattle, which turned out to be a rear seat-belt clicking on something in the back seat. Sliding the metal part up to the top of the seat fixed that.

The funny thing is, most of the time I drive, I try to avoid bumps and there are still too many of them. Then, something like this happens and I have to go looking for a pothole to re-produce it and I can't find any!
The noise was kind of a clacking, as if there were a set of billiard balls being racked.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:01 AM
Advanced

Update 2: The brake adjustments didn't fix the problem. It was decent in Chicago this weekend so I had the window down and heard the noise again.

evantec, you have it nailed - it sounds like billard balls connecting and it comes from the left rear. Almost a metallic noise but has more of a snap to it.

Guess I'll be making a third trip to McGrath
Old 11-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Ev an' Tec

Update 2: The brake adjustments didn't fix the problem. It was decent in Chicago this weekend so I had the window down and heard the noise again.

evantec, you have it nailed - it sounds like billard balls connecting and it comes from the left rear. Almost a metallic noise but has more of a snap to it.

I'm really not sure of the location. I think it's the left side, but I'll probably need to have someone else listen to it while I drive. I haven't had a chance to check my car out yet.

Before I saw any of the posts, I thought it might have been related to the colder weather here, and leaving the car outside one night for 2 hours instead of garaging it. (I'd hate to think the car was so sensitive it couldn't handle 30-40 degrees!)

Keep us posted on the outcome.

Kinda gives new (unwanted) meaning to the term "that car has balls"
Old 11-14-2006, 07:51 PM
Ev an' Tec

Just saw another thread ( https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...9&page=2&pp=25 )
See Post #31 - "...With aluminum control arms, this sort of damage is inevitable in a curb accident."

Did you scrape a curb or any cement "railroad ties" in a parking lot lately?

-- Evan