1999 Acura TL Check engine light and TCS light comes on at the same time....??

Old 10-21-2007, 11:30 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
1999 Acura TL Check engine light and TCS light comes on at the same time....??

Ive been trying to figure this out for the longest time. It happens every now and than after reset but the odd thing is that when the Check Engine light comes on it triggers the TCS light as well. After restart the Check engine light stays on but the TCS goes away.

Error codes Im getting are Cylinder 1, 2, 3, 4 mis-fire and multi mis-fire codes. Has anyone encountered similiar problems like this and what is the problem?

Thanks,
Johnny
Old 10-22-2007, 01:00 AM
Racer

Does anyone know where I can buy the Acura Service Manual that the dealers use? The Bentley Publisher books are not that bad but I dont believe they make them for the Acura TL can anyone confirm? Also I may be considering changing out the coil packs does anyone know where the best places are to purchase them?
Old 10-22-2007, 06:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it is more than likely a coil pack just keep disconnecting them one at a time untill you don't notice a change in engine idle
Old 10-22-2007, 09:36 PM
7th Gear

I have experienced this problem couple months ago. My misfiring was causing by my back oxgen sensor, and one of my coil. Therefore, they have to replace my oxgen sensor at the back, and one of the coil, I paid around CAD80 for the coil, and CAD240 for the sensor. It was about 1 and a half hour job.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:20 PM
Racer

Okay I reseted everything thing this morning and waited till the next time it came on. As soon as it came on I pulled over and read the codes. This is what came up:

P0401: Exhaust Gas Recirculation flow Insufficient detected
P0304: Cylinder 4 Mis-fire
P0305: Cylinder 5 Mis-fire
P0300: Random Mis-fire
P1399: Random Mis-fire

Does anyone know what the hell Exhaust Gas Recirculation flow is exactly? And where exactly are Cylinder 4 & 5 on the engine?
Old 10-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Racer

Duh long day at work today....I know what the EGR is. Does anyone know a reputable place to buy one of the modified/Updated EGR kits?

Also should I change the Coil Packs or should I change and clean the EGR first to see if that solves the problem?

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by johnny14
Okay I reseted everything thing this morning and waited till the next time it came on. As soon as it came on I pulled over and read the codes. This is what came up:

P0401: Exhaust Gas Recirculation flow Insufficient detected
P0304: Cylinder 4 Mis-fire
P0305: Cylinder 5 Mis-fire
P0300: Random Mis-fire
P1399: Random Mis-fire

Does anyone know what the hell Exhaust Gas Recirculation flow is exactly? And where exactly are Cylinder 4 & 5 on the engine?
Old 10-23-2007, 06:06 AM
Intermediate

do the egr first it will cause the misfire
Old 10-23-2007, 08:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts
I had that happen in my 03 TL. I had a misfire code on one cylinder. The dealer did change the EGR valve, which then triggered misfire codes on all cylinders. The dealer was about to change all the fuel injectors, but my warranty company insisted that the plentum (plenum?) be removed to look for carbon. Of course, I had to pay for that diagnostic, but the results were just excess carbon buildup. So no new fuel injectors and no misfires after cleaning.

I have heard miracles have been performed by Seafoam, which could be cheap solution to your misfire problem.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:29 PM
Racer

Thanks for all the responses. I ended up picking up EGR update Kit. Its stupid because you figure its a kit so it would come with the tools to get the job done. But no the Dealer wants to ream you for everything so the damn tool kit alone was $80 + shipping wtf? Its a damn drill bit and a install pin for the sleeve. Talk about a rip off. Anyways I bought a drill bit from the hardware store and will be using that as the drill and return there damn tool kit.

Ill be doing the install this weekend and hopefully that will clear my check engine lights for good. I may consider doing the Seafoam after I clean the intake manifold to clean the rest of the engine out.

Ill keep you all posted on everything this weekend or beginning next week. Thanks again for all responses.

J
Old 10-25-2007, 09:53 PM
Racer

Curious....Does anyone have the Honda Took Kit to do the EGR update which includes the Special Drill Bit and Installation tool? I was just wonder would be good to have just in case as a back up. Someone locally would be great so we can meet up and I can use it while your there so you can be sure you are getting the tool back. I live in Brentwood CA (Eastbay)

Coffee will be on me!
Old 10-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Intermediate

I had the same thing happen to me. The TCS and the engine light came on at the same time but after i turned the car off and on again the TCS turned off but the Engine light remained. After i scaned it with the OBD2 scanner the code i got was P0740.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:58 PM
Racer

P0740 is an error code for your Transmission. Its a TCC Circuit Malfunction code. I think our cars once a check engine light triggers it automatically trips the TCS light. And like you said once you turn off and turn it back on the TCS light disappears but the check engine light stays on. I dont know what the fix on that is sorry. I believe you may be lucky enough to just change out the Tranny chip but dont quote me.

Originally Posted by BLK 3.2
I had the same thing happen to me. The TCS and the engine light came on at the same time but after i turned the car off and on again the TCS turned off but the Engine light remained. After i scaned it with the OBD2 scanner the code i got was P0740.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:01 PM
Racer

Alright I just wanted to let you all know it was a success without using the damn $80 tool kit Honda and Acura tries to rape you on so Ill be returning that Monday. I got everything drilled and with ease the tube went in and tapped it in with a mallet to sit flush. Now all I have to do is get the manifold cleaned and change the EGR and Im good to go.

The Intake manifold had alot of build up of oil which I think could be because of my PCV Valve so I ended up replacing that and the EGR port was pretty much plugged up with build up. Its pretty hard stuff!! Im hoping this will cure all the check engine lights Ive seem to be getting but will see.

I should have everything up and running by tomorrow around noon and will be taking the car out for a few errands I have to run so Ill keep you all posted.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:22 PM
WNC Real Estate Sales99TL

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. I ended up picking up EGR update Kit. Its stupid because you figure its a kit so it would come with the tools to get the job done. But no the Dealer wants to ream you for everything so the damn tool kit alone was $80 + shipping wtf? Its a damn drill bit and a install pin for the sleeve. Talk about a rip off. Anyways I bought a drill bit from the hardware store and will be using that as the drill and return there damn tool kit.

Ill be doing the install this weekend and hopefully that will clear my check engine lights for good. I may consider doing the Seafoam after I clean the intake manifold to clean the rest of the engine out.

Ill keep you all posted on everything this weekend or beginning next week. Thanks again for all responses.

J
I did mine (EGR Port Clean Out) awhile back and decided not to use use the kit. Figured that I would just clean it again after 50,000 miles or so.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Racer

With the high mileage that the car has I figured I buy the EGR Kit as its cheaper than buying the EGR alone so I figure what the hell and figure I change it anyways. Dont think the EGR was bad but never hurts.

Originally Posted by Luke7
I did mine (EGR Port Clean Out) awhile back and decided not to use use the kit. Figured that I would just clean it again after 50,000 miles or so.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:52 PM
Racer

Alright I have a question for regarding our cylinder order on the spark plugs??? Can someone tell me the order of the spark plugs by cylinder? I tried doing a search on it but couldnt find it.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:43 AM
7th Gear

mess with your IAT sensor
Old 11-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Racer

We have a IAT Sensor on our cars? Isnt that pretty much like a MAF which I still dont think our cars have this either so Im a little confused!

Originally Posted by bcatuna
mess with your IAT sensor
Old 11-02-2007, 02:08 AM
7th Gear

ya, if you take off your engine cap, it will be right next to your intake. it will be the grey connector with 2 wires, i think red and green
Old 11-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Turtle for a TL

Whoa whoa whoa.

I had this problem not too long ago. And it was bad. Gas was being guzzled, the whole car shook during acceleration, and it would barely hold 70 MPH. I ended up having to have two shock coils replaced. As for the insufficient exhaust flow, that would be your catalytic converter. I gutted mine out. 30 minutes of your time and that problem is fixed. I know it's illegal, but I didn't want to pay for one.

If this problem is left untreated, who knows what problems may arise.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Racer

I dont think its my shocks or anything related to suspension. Its either my coil packs or from what a Acura Tech told me it could be that I need a Valve adjustment!! Valve adjustment??? Would that really cause me to mis-fire? I dont think so.

Originally Posted by BlackCrow1515
I had this problem not too long ago. And it was bad. Gas was being guzzled, the whole car shook during acceleration, and it would barely hold 70 MPH. I ended up having to have two shock coils replaced. As for the insufficient exhaust flow, that would be your catalytic converter. I gutted mine out. 30 minutes of your time and that problem is fixed. I know it's illegal, but I didn't want to pay for one.

If this problem is left untreated, who knows what problems may arise.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Racer

I took everything off today and was trying to find what your talking about. I just unclipped and clipped everything back on. Ill double check to see what your talking about Ill look for those wires.

I ended up picking up 6 Brand new coil packs but havent installed them yet I decided to play with the Original coil packs and just swapped them around to see what are the next codes I get to start the elimination process.

Originally Posted by bcatuna
ya, if you take off your engine cap, it will be right next to your intake. it will be the grey connector with 2 wires, i think red and green
Old 11-04-2007, 01:43 AM
Turtle for a TL

I dont think its my shocks or anything related to suspension. Its either my coil packs or from what a Acura Tech told me it could be that I need a Valve adjustment!! Valve adjustment??? Would that really cause me to mis-fire? I dont think so.
Coil pack, shock coil... I've heard different terms.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:59 AM
Racer

Oh okay than yeah I ended up picking up 6 New Factory Coil Packs but waiting to see if I get anymore codes and see which Cylinder mis-fires Im getting since I mixed them up a bit to double check and see if that was the problems. Since I did that I should get two good ones which were 1 and 6 and now if I get them it should be different cylinders. So will see what happens.

Originally Posted by BlackCrow1515
Coil pack, shock coil... I've heard different terms.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:04 AM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 99 TL with 98k miles. Recently have CE and TCS light on. CE code is P0401 -- EGR flow insufficient. NJ Acura dealer charge $200 - $267 for EGR parts only. Pep Boys sells for $90 OEM EGR. EGR is located near Intake Manifold, tied with two 12mm bolt with one electrical connection, very easy to take off (you don't need $80 EGR tool kit). Based on the service manual I bought with $70, I cleaned the old EGR and the EGR connection to intake manifold (it had a lot of build up gums) with carborator cleaner (used $3.80). Now the car feels much better when driving on the road. I didn't even replace the EGR yet. I'll keep you updated later, if anything new came up.
The following users liked this post:
Fahruz Zaman (10-10-2013)
Old 12-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
welcome to the forum--this is a 4 year dead thread thread, you can find a current one on the main thread title list

See the DIY on EGR port cleaning- you need to remove the intake manifold to clean right
the valve rarely fails but the system clogs and the arm on the valve needs some lube
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/diy-thermoblok-spacers-install-egr-cleaning-615644/
ignore the part where they change bolt studs to install the spacer--you are just doing the cleaning part of the diy
Old 05-21-2012, 07:54 PM
2nd Gear

my coil pack isn't receiving any power from the wiring. how can i fix this problem...
Old 05-21-2012, 07:59 PM
2nd Gear

i am having problems with my wiring harness that goes to the coil pack that is not firing has anyone encountered this problem.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:45 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. First beg borrow or steal the SnapOn computer diagnostic tool and plug it in.It costs 4 grand..so I dont think you want to buy it.... Then read the codes
2. Chances are your EGR systems is f'd up. ..see my posts regarding how to fix this. Do not simply change the EGR valve..this is a complete waste of time and money. Honda put out a service notification to dealers on this...if your dealer is telling you to change the EGR valve..then don't go back to them..ever.
3. Regarding your post below on how to get the service manual..its available direct from Honda USA. Their manual are always excellent and worth every penny.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:20 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by acuratech25
it is more than likely a coil pack just keep disconnecting them one at a time untill you don't notice a change in engine idle
Just got done using this troubleshooting method on the wife's 2000 TL. Found the bad coil in literally a minute. Thanks, acuratech.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:15 AM
1st Gear

I was having an issue with the TCS light coming on when starting car (and staying on), but turning off engine and restarting would turn the light off. So, I called an Acura mechanic and he said the TCS is connected to the transmission. He recommended that I change the transmission fluid (which should be done every 15k ti 30k miles) and see if that would solve my problem. I did a transmission flush and replace all fluids thru my mechanic. This simple service worked ($160.00 to 190.00 service). Light no longer comes on, plus I discovered the last time I changed the Transmission fluid was 7+ years ago.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Welcome Bjs7025 !!!
Thanks for adding that info, good to know that it was a simple enough fix.
Check out the 2nd Gen's "DIY" sticky. Many common issues and fixes are listed within it.

Tell us more about your TL and how it's been over the years. There's tons of info available on this site to help ya keep the car running well for many more years. Enjoy reading the posted threads and feel free to ask questions. Cheers !
Old 05-05-2015, 08:26 AM
4th Gear

Wink tcs light and engine light- code p0401

Ive been trying to figure this out for the longest time. It happens every now and than after reset but the odd thing is that when the Check Engine light comes on it triggers the TCS light as well. After restart the Check engine light stays on but the TCS goes away.

Error codes Im getting are Cylinder 1, 2, 3, 4 mis-fire and multi mis-fire codes. Has anyone encountered similiar problems like this and what is the problem?

Thanks,
Johnny
i have similar problem but with code p0401. i have done everything including seafoam cleaning, egr port and replacement of egr valve. now i run out of option. have anyone run into this issue like me if so please help.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:07 PM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
When you did your EGR port/passage cleaning were you sure to replace the gaskets in their proper orientation? If they're installed backward then they will block the EGR ports and your car will behave as if your EGR system were completely plugged up.

You didn't mention the EGR passages, did you clean those?

Is your car knocking/pinging when accelerating?
Old 05-05-2015, 09:18 PM
Team Owner

above post means the top most cover gasket to intake - removed for egr cleaning service- can be installed UP side DOWN and still fit,, but blocks a critical port and will trigger lights and poor running

IF you did the proper method of egr system cleaning by removing intake manifold,
I would always ck my work~
Old 05-07-2015, 08:16 AM
4th Gear

i have similar problem. TCS light and Engine light. with code P0401. i changed EGR vlv. cleaned EGR port. clean with seafoam many time over. i still have the same light come on. i run out of option now. do you know if anyone run into the same problem like mine?
Old 05-07-2015, 10:55 AM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Did you:

* Remove your intake manifold completely
* Use 2-3 cans of TB cleaner on the ports
* Scrape/clear them all the way through the manifold to the other side
* Clear the EGR port in the intake runners
* Remove the intake manifold cover and scrape/clear the EGR 'ant farm' passages
* Inspect gaskets for leaks
* Reinstall them properly (note that if they're installed wrong they can block the EGR ports)

Are you:

* Running minimum 91 octane fuel?
Old 05-22-2015, 10:42 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Chojun
Did you:

* Remove your intake manifold completely
* Use 2-3 cans of TB cleaner on the ports
* Scrape/clear them all the way through the manifold to the other side
* Inspect gaskets for leaks
* Reinstall them properly (note that if they're installed wrong they can block the EGR ports)

Are you:

* Running minimum 91 octane fuel?
What did you mean by the statements:
I know how the clean the EGR port in the IM, but what are the intake runners? Also, where are the "ant farm" passages?

This is a GREAT thread and I used it last year to clean my EGR port. Looks like I need to again because now the TCS and CHK lights are on at the same time.

Thanks for your assistance.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:55 AM
Team Owner

so you DID remove the intake manifold from the engine and place on a workbench, correct? approx. 3 cans carb cleaner and a wire hanger or welding rod or actual egr passage cleaning brush

As part of cleaning the egr passages and port- 99 single port or 6 ports on 00-03
you use carb cleaner or similar sprayed into the holes under the egr valve (remove valve) and POKE your way thru to the opposite end of the manifold with the wire coat hanger, better to go from other end of manifold from valve openings
Do it until flows thru = clean, from opposite end -thru large opening-you can access more areas= an ant farm is something with many pathways and passages.
When you see the carbon blockage you will know it and clean anything like it!

No amount of seafoam will clean the egr, it doesn't go there except minute amount as part of exhaust gasses, EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation (smog parts)
It does work great for cleaning the passages manually with the spray in, or pour in and poke method
Old 05-22-2015, 10:58 AM
Team Owner

If you have the same clogging problem after 1 year, it didn't get done right/fully, or there is a different problem

Should go about 75kmiles before needing a good cleaning, and that is not found in any maintenance book, azine insider knowledge from owners!