Removed factory amp, how to rewire speakers

Old 02-28-2012, 11:42 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Removed factory amp, how to rewire speakers

Hey guys,

I just bought a new amp and subwoofer for my 06 TL. I have most of it setup. I ran 0 gage wire to the battery and have the amp grounded to the trunk,

however, I stil have some questions. Im not sure which fuse I should connect the remote wire to, currently i have it in the fuse for the driver side seat warmer. Is there a better way to do that?

also, I completely removed the stock amp. in hindsight that probably wasn't the best idea since im only installing a new sub but i cant replace the wires for the stock amp since i cut the wires free from the grey encasement that attached them to it.

I currently have the wires that went into the stock amp from the head unit and the wires that went from the stock amp to the speakers exposed and stripped. Im not sure where to go from there. I was thinking of putting all the wires that came from the head unit into a LOC then running a RCA cable from the LOC to the amp imput then running a RCA cable out of the amp output back to an LOC connected to the wires coming from the speakers. Will this work properly? and if so can someone explain which wires should be connected to each LOC, ex left +, right +. I currently have no speakers connected to the head unit. I can post pictures if anyone needs some clarification. If I wire my system this way will i still be able to have full control over it from the stock head unit?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:49 PM
ElectroMechanicalEngineer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Should have thought all this through before doing anything... you have created alot of work for yourself in a bad way.

Anyway, search feature....use it...all questions have been answered.

This will get you started
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/subwoofer-amp-installation-tl-wiring-diagram-anyone-786733/
Old 02-29-2012, 12:01 AM
Advanced

im aware that I made my task much harder, but i know where each wire leads. Ive read the thread you posted. The part im unsure of is if i can run the wires that come from the head unit to the amp imput. then run the wires from the amp output back to the wires that lead to the individual speakers. also my LOC has 4 wires, right +, right -, left +, left -. so where would the center speakers go to and how would i hook my sub up to all of that because i currently have my sub running out of a separate connection from the amp but beings that nothing is hooked up to the head unit, i cant test it. I realize I really fucked myself over on this so all i need to know is how to fix it. I've searched the forums but have been unable to find any detailed threads on how to completely rewire a new amp with the stock head unit and speakers.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:08 AM
Advanced

this was the tutorial i followed so when you scroll down youll see what im talking about with all the loose wiring. the tutorial seemed unclear to me at that point.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/diy-aftermarket-amp-install-speaker-install-audiocontrol-matrix-install-w-pics-580314/
Old 02-29-2012, 08:53 AM
ElectroMechanicalEngineer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/my-custom-audio-system-upgrade-w-3sixty-601144/

and

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/high-definition-mobile-audio-demo-car-2004-acura-tl-dynaudio-arc-ms-8-%2Apics-galore%2A-804628/
Old 02-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Advanced

I figured out the hard way that this will be impossible to do without installing a new head unit. So I'm going to try and find a 14pin wire harness and 20 pin wire harness. If anyone knows where if I could buy the harnesses off let me know.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
At this point you're best bet is buying a processor or some signal summing device since you've killed all speakers in the car. You could even do a line driver with 5-6 outputs and run them straight to the aftermarket amp(s).

Find the FL and FR (center optional) signal wires coming off the HU. Run them to your processor or whatever you choose. A LOC is the last thing you want, the HU uses very low voltage, a line driver would be a better choice to boost the voltage.

The processor will properly sum and then split the signals and send them to your aftermarket amp(s). You need 6 channels of amplification if you want to use all of the factory speakers. I suggest skipping the center channel and getting a 5 channel amp.

From the amplifier you can either run new wires to each speaker or tap into the stock wiring after the factory amp.

The front mid and tweeter are on the same channel so only 2 channels are required for the front 4 speakers.

It's not that much work to do a processor since only two pairs of signal wires need to be run to it but you will still have to run all 5-6 of the outputs from the processor to the amps and all 5-6 channels of the amps to the stock speaker wiring harness.

It might be better to splice the factory wiring back together, install the factory amp, and pull the signal for your sub amp from the stock sub wiring in the trunk.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:44 AM
Advanced

Yea im planning on rewiring the wires back to the harness. i cut them pretty short though so im attempting to sodder them. Im trying to find some pins with more wire coming out of them but i dont think i will have much luck, not many people get rid of theres. Ive also tried looking at junk yards but the 3rd gen TL is too young to be found in a junkyard.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Advanced

I ended up finding someone with wire harnesses and rewired all the wires however, my head unit is still not working even though the stock amp is connected. Would anyone know whats causing this. The head unit isn't even asking for the unlock code.

As for adding a processor, are there any you would suggest? would the stock head unit function with the processor and not the stock amp? I'm starting to hate the stock amp so if I can get by without it ill be very happy but i would prefer to save money and get it working again.

Ive contemplated completely scraping the stock head unit and amp and installing an aftermarket nav but beings that there are no dash install kits for a 3g TL i dont know if its something I really want to do.

Ive also thought about leaving the stock head unit in its place to save the effort of removing it and installing a new head unit elsewhere such as the center console, preferably a head unit with RCA outputs. then purchase another amp and run the front and rear outputs from the new HU to one amp and then wire up that amp to the stock speakers, but in doing this i dont know how to convert the amp RCA outputs to connect to regular speaker wire. then I would run the sub outputs from the new HU into a sub specific amp and connect my sub to that. This seems easier than replacing the stock head unit however I dont know if it is even plausible.

Any input or suggestions would be much appreciated. I just want my sound system to work again haha
Old 03-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Advanced

would this processor work as a replacement for the stock amp? however i dont know how this would make the head unit start working again if the stock amp didnt.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu..._FLATLINE.aspx
Old 03-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Team Owner

If there's no power I would start with checking the fuse. The stock amp is not required for the HU to work. If you have navi it's going to be very difficult to go with an aftermarket HU, you will have to gut part of the stock HU and tie it up behind the dash for the navi to work. If you don't have navi, look up Niebur3's big thread, it gives step by step pictures of his conversion to an aftermarket hu.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Advanced

Which fuses should i check? the ones in the driver side kick panel or the ones in the engine? And if its on the driver side which number would it be? but thanks a lot for your help.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by will1018
would this processor work as a replacement for the stock amp? however i dont know how this would make the head unit start working again if the stock amp didnt.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu..._FLATLINE.aspx
This is not a processor even though it's labeled as a processor. It's a line driver but you don't need that many channels and it doesn't say if it's balanced or not. You might not need balanced but if you were going to get a product like this you might as well go balanced.

A processor would be an MS8, 360.2 or .3, Audison Bit One, etc.