Factory audio integration Sound Processors

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 12:03 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Factory audio integration Sound Processors

With so many users on here and almost all of them would like to retain their factory head unit, I thought this would be a great post....

Now this might have been asked, but I could not find anything specific regarding diffrent brands.

I hope that everyone will chime in...

The only think that I request, is no brand name bashing.
there quite a few of these devices.

Alpine PXE-H650
Overview: The Alpine PXE-H650 System Integration Audio Processor accepts input from nearly any factory or aftermarket radio, removes any existing equalization, and adjusts to overcome acoustic shortcomings of the specific vehicle's interior. A preamp signal then feeds your aftermarket amplifiers and speakers, allowing a substantial sound quality upgrade without sacrificing any OEM features (CD changer, DVD system, satellite radio, Bluetooth integration, etc).
Manual
Reference Guide

Audison BitOne
The Bit1 is controlled by a separate remote control module conveniently designed to fit nicely in most automotive ashtrays, with user-programmable presets for custom EQ settings. The system is set up via PC and features 8 channels of high level speaker inputs, RCA inputs, or a single Tos-Link fiber optic input.

Arc Audio
SRI - ARC SRI OEM Integration Module
The SRI based on a 6 channel signal summing module features 6 channels of hi level input plugs, AUX RCA input with remote level control, Selectable RCA/Balanced output plugs, 8 volt output,stereo full range output, and input level setting utility disc. Using a very simple and versatile system setup utility it takes the complication and confusion of other manufactures integration pieces and allows for a easy and time saving installation and calibration of the SRI to most any factory system.

Audio Control
There are quite a few models from Audio Control. If interested look here

Rockford Fosgate Rockford Fosgate Interactive signal processor
3Sixty.1
The 3Sixty.1 is the most advanced OEM integration processor on the market. Its advanced artificial intelligence allows the use of aftermarket car audio equipment to be utilized with virtually any OEM source unit. In addition, auto-equalization processes overcome and correct for OEM response inadequacies. There's also an auxiliary input for an iPod or other external audio device.
Manual

3SIXTY.2
The 3Sixty.2 delivers unprecedented control and flexibility to aftermarket and OEM sound systems with up to 153 bands of equalization and signal manipulation. Offering a fully interactive touch screen wireless solution via optional Bluetooth enabled Palm OS or Windows Mobile devices (select devices supported and not included), give users the ability to tune a sound system in real time anywhere within the vehicle.
Manual is the same as for 3SIXTY.1

Phoenix Gold
Phoenix Gold Tantrum TLD66
The Phoenix Gold Tantrum TLD66 enhances the output of any headunit. This professional quality line driver accepts up to 6 channels of output from your head unit and transmits up to an 8 volt signal to the amplifiers. The benefits are two-fold: Dynamic range is increased and unwanted signal noise is reduced.

Jl Audio
there are 3 -4 units from Jl Audio. if interested here is the link

JBL MS-8
The MS-8 is designed to provide a realistic soundstage to every listener in every seat of the vehicle. The heart of the MS-8 is a proprietary equalization algorithm that provides the competition grade sound quality that the MS-8 can deliver. The MS-8 also uses Lexicon's Logic 7 soundstage enhancement processing to create a seamless front image for all of the listeners.

Massive Audio
The FLATLINE by Massive Audio is an 8-channel hi-end line-output converter that will allow you to add aftermarket products to your OEM stocked vehicle. This unique product will convert your speaker level signal from a factory installed amplifier or head unit to a high quality, low noise pre-amp signal with summing options for additional flexibility. Now hook up that I-PODTM or MP3 Player directly into the dash mount remote while still using your factory head unit and turn that stock radio into a Massive Sound System!
Manual

MTX
MTX have two units one is REQ5 and REQ8.
They have a cool web site. Here is the link

Zapco
DSP6-SL Zapco 6 Channel Digital Processor
The DSP6-SL is a 6-Channel Digital Processor that provides Crossover, Equalization, Q-Bass and Time Delay for each channel. The channels are processed by six discrete processors which can be adjusted in stereo pairs, or individually, to meet the demands of each installation. The DSP6SL uses three SymbiLink™ connectors for the main analog inputs and also has an optical digital input. For an auxiliary analog source we have also provided a set of 2 channel RCA inputs.
Manual

I know there are quite a few more, if you guys/gals know of any? then please let us know.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:44 AM
Driven to Perfection

What about AudioControl?
Old 04-19-2009, 12:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mattster
What about AudioControl?
since audio control have quite a few different models. I linked up their website. it is right after arc audio.

but here is a ? for you, or any one else. are there any other processors? I thought Kenwood made one, but it is only to integrade an ipod. surely there are more but not to my knowledge.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:43 AM
Driven to Perfection

oops, missed it in the list. carry on!
Old 04-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 3sixty2 has my vote!!
Old 04-19-2009, 12:16 PM
'04 TL SSM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha thanks fade, seeing as i just asked this in my first post. :-P

What would be your "best value for the money" pick?

And as far as my understanding goes, the JL models all piggy back off of their one Cleansweep
CL441-dsp. If thats not installed the others have no use. correct?

Last edited by Mike Litoris; 04-19-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike Litoris
What would be your "best value for the money" pick?
Mike, they are all good. it all depends on what you mean by "best value for the money" diffrent people have diffrent budgets.

as for myself. I would pick phoenix. cause for around 60 - 70 $$$ it is hard to beat it.
Originally Posted by Mike Litoris
And as far as my understanding goes, the JL models all piggy back off of their one Cleansweep CL441-dsp. If thats not installed the others have no use. correct?
according to the manual

cl44dsp accepts up to 4 channels of input from OEM audio source.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Audison BitOne gets my vote. Time Alignment, Auto EQ similar to the Denon Home Receivers, Optical input, etc, etc. Audison is writing apps to be able to control this beast through the CarPC. Not the best bang for the buck at $1,200.00, just the best. An audiophile grade processor.

The 3sixty.2 would be my second choice.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fade2blk
With so many users on here and almost all of them would like to retain their factory head unit, I thought this would be a great post....

Now this might have been asked, but I could not find anything specific regarding diffrent brands.

I hope that everyone will chime in...

The only think that I request, is no brand name bashing.
there quite a few of these devices.

Alpine PXE-H650
Overview: The Alpine PXE-H650 System Integration Audio Processor accepts input from nearly any factory or aftermarket radio, removes any existing equalization, and adjusts to overcome acoustic shortcomings of the specific vehicle's interior. A preamp signal then feeds your aftermarket amplifiers and speakers, allowing a substantial sound quality upgrade without sacrificing any OEM features (CD changer, DVD system, satellite radio, Bluetooth integration, etc).
Manual
Reference Guide

Audison BitOne
The Bit1 is controlled by a separate remote control module conveniently designed to fit nicely in most automotive ashtrays, with user-programmable presets for custom EQ settings. The system is set up via PC and features 8 channels of high level speaker inputs, RCA inputs, or a single Tos-Link fiber optic input.

Arc Audio
SRI - ARC SRI OEM Integration Module
The SRI based on a 6 channel signal summing module features 6 channels of hi level input plugs, AUX RCA input with remote level control, Selectable RCA/Balanced output plugs, 8 volt output,stereo full range output, and input level setting utility disc. Using a very simple and versatile system setup utility it takes the complication and confusion of other manufactures integration pieces and allows for a easy and time saving installation and calibration of the SRI to most any factory system.

Audio Control
There are quite a few models from Audio Control. If interested look here

Rockford Fosgate Rockford Fosgate Interactive signal processor
3Sixty.1
The 3Sixty.1 is the most advanced OEM integration processor on the market. Its advanced artificial intelligence allows the use of aftermarket car audio equipment to be utilized with virtually any OEM source unit. In addition, auto-equalization processes overcome and correct for OEM response inadequacies. There's also an auxiliary input for an iPod or other external audio device.
Manual

3SIXTY.2
The 3Sixty.2 delivers unprecedented control and flexibility to aftermarket and OEM sound systems with up to 153 bands of equalization and signal manipulation. Offering a fully interactive touch screen wireless solution via optional Bluetooth enabled Palm OS or Windows Mobile devices (select devices supported and not included), give users the ability to tune a sound system in real time anywhere within the vehicle.
Manual is the same as for 3SIXTY.1

Phoenix Gold
Phoenix Gold Tantrum TLD66
The Phoenix Gold Tantrum TLD66 enhances the output of any headunit. This professional quality line driver accepts up to 6 channels of output from your head unit and transmits up to an 8 volt signal to the amplifiers. The benefits are two-fold: Dynamic range is increased and unwanted signal noise is reduced.

Jl Audio
there are 3 -4 units from Jl Audio. if interested here is the link

JBL MS-8
The MS-8 is designed to provide a realistic soundstage to every listener in every seat of the vehicle. The heart of the MS-8 is a proprietary equalization algorithm that provides the competition grade sound quality that the MS-8 can deliver. The MS-8 also uses Lexicon's Logic 7 soundstage enhancement processing to create a seamless front image for all of the listeners.

Massive Audio
The FLATLINE by Massive Audio is an 8-channel hi-end line-output converter that will allow you to add aftermarket products to your OEM stocked vehicle. This unique product will convert your speaker level signal from a factory installed amplifier or head unit to a high quality, low noise pre-amp signal with summing options for additional flexibility. Now hook up that I-PODTM or MP3 Player directly into the dash mount remote while still using your factory head unit and turn that stock radio into a Massive Sound System!
Manual

MTX
MTX have two units one is REQ5 and REQ8.
They have a cool web site. Here is the link

Zapco
DSP6-SL Zapco 6 Channel Digital Processor
The DSP6-SL is a 6-Channel Digital Processor that provides Crossover, Equalization, Q-Bass and Time Delay for each channel. The channels are processed by six discrete processors which can be adjusted in stereo pairs, or individually, to meet the demands of each installation. The DSP6SL uses three SymbiLink™ connectors for the main analog inputs and also has an optical digital input. For an auxiliary analog source we have also provided a set of 2 channel RCA inputs.
Manual

I know there are quite a few more, if you guys/gals know of any? then please let us know.

Thanks for the post, would these items be the same as the JL clean sweep? Would your PHoenix rec be comparable in quality to the JL product? (THe JL one is $300- you could save me some $)
Old 04-19-2009, 08:46 PM
Instructor

Gary,

reason I answered with Phoenix is do to the price point. JL is good as any other one. it seems that your heart is set on the JL, or you would not bring it up so many times.... just remember that it only does 4 channels and if you do want to retain your center channel.... you can leave it on the factory amp.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
added to the 3G audio FAQ
Old 04-20-2009, 07:59 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by King of Pain
The Audison BitOne gets my vote. Time Alignment, Auto EQ similar to the Denon Home Receivers, Optical input, etc, etc. Audison is writing apps to be able to control this beast through the CarPC. Not the best bang for the buck at $1,200.00, just the best. An audiophile grade processor.

The 3sixty.2 would be my second choice.
I agree with the King...

If I ever do my audio over... I think I might use the Audison BitOne...
Old 04-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Instructor

Gary,

reason I answered with Phoenix is do to the price point. JL is good as any other one. it seems that your heart is set on the JL, or you would not bring it up so many times.... just remember that it only does 4 channels and if you do want to retain your center channel.... you can leave it on the factory amp.

Actually, I dont care about the brand, I care about the "best sound quality for the most reasonable price" I always ask about JL and alpine because that is what I am most familair with, just because that was what I had before.

But anyway, does the Phoenix do the 5 - channel? I have my center channel turned down anyway currently, I guess I am not used to it yet.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Instructor

the pheonix is a 6 channel unit. your TL is 6ch as well

you have

front left center front right
rear left sub rear right

you do not have to use all the channels.

If you do not care about center channel then, take a look at MTX req. very similar to the JL
and it is a whole lot cheaper.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
When I was shopping for an audio processor, I narrowed my choices down to the CleanSweep, 3Sixty.2 and AudioControl L7 based on quality, price and reputation combined. I went with the 3Sixty.2 and I never looked back. I absolutely love it.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Instructor

the pheonix is a 6 channel unit. your TL is 6ch as well

you have

front left center front right
rear left sub rear right

you do not have to use all the channels.

If you do not care about center channel then, take a look at MTX req. very similar to the JL
and it is a whole lot cheaper.
Nice, thanks.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Instructor

What is your recommendation for an amp if I am planning on utilizing the 6-channel set up? I am assuming a 5 channel amp that can work with a center channel and a seperate sub amp, however I can only find one 5-channel amp to be used with a center channel - but it only works with an alpine head unit. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong places.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
OP, thanks for this info. I'm so lost when it comes to this stuff that I gave up trying to find something that would work for me. Now I'm thinking about using a processor.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:33 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gary Mac
What is your recommendation for an amp if I am planning on utilizing the 6-channel set up? I am assuming a 5 channel amp that can work with a center channel and a seperate sub amp, however I can only find one 5-channel amp to be used with a center channel - but it only works with an alpine head unit. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong places.

Wow this one is going to be hard.... Sugesting an amplifier is very dificult thing to do, as there are so many factors involved.

I will not mention any brands for right now. but I will mention this much.

there are so many amplifiers on the market, it all basically depend on you. your choise your cash. and do not let anyone tell you "oh get this one, my bro had one and it shook the roof....." b.s.
any amp can do this... but for how long before it goes into protection?

there are
1 channel
2 channel
4 channel
5 channel
6 channel

if you choose wisely, An amp can stay with you for many years to come. I know this cause I am still using the ones I bought back in the early 90's....

and no they are not for sale. they went throught so many cars, not even funny. and now they found a new home in the Acura TL.

with that said.

you need to ask yourself few questions.

1. how much can you spend?
are you going to keep them fore ever? if so, then price does not really matter(well sorta, I know everything within a reason). If you do get high end models, You will not replace them in a year or so.

2. how much space are you willing to give up for them?
amps need room to breath.
3. what impedience will they have to run?
remember the lower the ohm the more strain on the whole electrical system, more resistance equals more heat.

4. can the electrical system supply the proper voltage amperage? are you willing to upgrade, battery, wiring, and such?
I have seen plenty of times, where not enought current killed awesome amplifiers.

5. what type and how do you listen to your music?

6. will you ever want to enter local soud off, and see how your system stacks up's against others, and no I do not mean in SPL or do I? this one will open a can of warms.... hehehehe

There are plenty of 5 and 6 channel amplifiers that are freaking awesome.

one think to note is. if you are looking to get a processor then you do not need a crossovers or boost/cut on the amp.

One more thing to note. not only you need adequete space for amps but also for enclosure as well.

and as far as the connection goes. that should not be a problem, and does not matter if you are using a stock deck or your alpine head unit.

connection are from head unit to the processor to the amplifier or amplifers.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Needs wheels

good info
Old 12-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
You guys all add these processors to take the OEM amp out of the mix, right?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
You guys all add these processors to take the OEM amp out of the mix, right?
not necessarily, i didn't take mine out. i took the signal after the oem amp. but others have completely removed the oem amp with success. i have the 3sixty.2 i cant speak for the other brands you will need to research those.

good info fade2blk
Old 12-07-2009, 07:55 AM

Thank you. Will do.
Reason I ask is because this is a new world to me. As it stands, I've spent the last 2 months trying to hunt down a BAD alternator whine. Guess what is was...the OEM amp. I bypassed it now and I've got no sound except white noise from having to turn my aftermarket amps' gain all the way up. Plus, the music sounds very flat...like the depth is not there. So I was wondering if the processor would add that back and in and up the signal voltage up so that I can lower the gains on the amps and adjust accordingly.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Advanced

i too am seeking a way to escape this flat sound. i have looked at several forums on sound processors. i really want to know if adding one would make a great difference.

a car audio tech friend of mine told me to just skip the sound processor and add an amp and subwoofer.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:07 AM

Well, I have 2 amps and subwoofer and the problem is the signal I'm feeding them from my OEM radio directly is so low I have to have the gains on both amps at 100%, this produces a white noise that I can mask with a filter but the sound is not being eq'd. Not horrible, but I KNOW if my amps were getting a boosted dB level they would sound as they should.
Just placed an order from crutchfield for the audiocontrol matrix, supposedly very versatile and seems like a good quality product. I know crutchfield has a good return policy so wish me luck!
Old 01-10-2010, 11:52 PM
Advanced

guys, i just attempted to install my sound processor, but its giving me problems. i have searched the forums but i get dead links. does anyone have the head unit's wiring harness diagram?
Old 01-10-2010, 11:58 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Nice list. Maybe we can add this to the 3G Garage?
Old 01-11-2010, 12:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
Nice list. Maybe we can add this to the 3G Garage?
It's in the 3G audio FAQ above...
Old 01-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Something to add on the Zapco list is the DC amps. Same processing as the DSP 6 per channel but all in one chassis. A DC650.6 will give you 6 channel processing and 6 channel amplification in one unit. Or you can do as I did and run multiple DC amps. You can link them into a network and use one controller to make changes in all units on the network. You can even e-mail the settings. I can e-mail all my settings and anyone using the same channels for high/mid/low. Download my settings directly into theirs and it is done. Only fine tuning per individual preference.

Kirk
Old 01-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think maybe someone should have more specs on each of the processors. I.E. speaker outputs and inputs, options like how many auxillary inputs and outputs, optical, and such and such.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick337
I think maybe someone should have more specs on each of the processors. I.E. speaker outputs and inputs, options like how many auxillary inputs and outputs, optical, and such and such.
+1. i'm looking to get one soon. I have been looking at the Audiocontol Lc7 or Lc6i
Old 01-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Here is the Zapco program. You can fire it up and see what it does.
http://www.box.net/shared/3h8knkj0p6

Admin password is Zapco Case sensitive.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:54 AM
Instructor

update.

sorry for grammer in advance.

since my initial post, i wanted more out of factory system. I also wanted to retain stock deck.

I bypassed factory amp and ran outputs straight into crossover and on to amps. system sounded good but not great, it was missing something that I can not explain.

I was looking for a Sound Processors for a low price. Other week came across a deal I could just not refuse. I picked up Alpine PXE-H650 for 100.00 and some change. Installed it last night.

All I have to say it is incredible. the sound or certain frequency that was missing is a thing of the past.

If anyone wants incredible sound check this unit out.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:02 AM

update.

sorry for grammer in advance.

since my initial post, i wanted more out of factory system. I also wanted to retain stock deck.

I bypassed factory amp and ran outputs straight into crossover and on to amps. system sounded good but not great, it was missing something that I can not explain.

I was looking for a Sound Processors for a low price. Other week came across a deal I could just not refuse. I picked up Alpine PXE-H650 for 100.00 and some change. Installed it last night.

All I have to say it is incredible. the sound or certain frequency that was missing is a thing of the past.

If anyone wants incredible sound check this unit out.
Thanks for sharing, man...you might be describing what I'm feeling about my system too! I'll have to look into that.

Are you line driving also? Is that what the Alpine did you for you? Boosted signal?
Old 01-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Thanks for sharing, man...you might be describing what I'm feeling about my system too! I'll have to look into that.

Are you line driving also? Is that what the Alpine did you for you? Boosted signal?

no I am not using line drivers. I pulled all gear out, eq's and crossovers.
all from audiocontrol.

my signal is from radio to alpine unit then straight to amps.
the signal is not boosted rather corrected.

for initial setup and not messing with any settings yet, it sounds awesome.

this unit added stage, dimension and depth with out any coloration(echo sound) it also added midbass that I was trying to capture with eq's and crossovers. it's not that i did not have midbass, but rather like it could not capture it or reproduce it the way i wanted it too. I spend countless of times with rta and could get one thing but would mess up something else(sound wise). it is very hard for me to describe this. guys at local store thought i was crazy... perhaps i am.

as far as I am conserned(my opinion only) with this unit, or similar one. proper speaker placement is a thing of the past.

go to alpine dealer or similar and hear it for yourself. you will be amazed.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:05 PM

Awesome man...that sounds like the ticket. But I looked it up and MAN is it expensive. You got a killer deal!

Good job. The issue you're describing is exactly how I feel. But I think I'm going to stop messing with/spending money on it for a while.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Instructor

well I got it brand new from cartoys they go for 110.00 while they still have them. call them up and see if they have any left.