2005 TL, HFL Malfunction and Parasitic Draw

Old 05-07-2012, 11:58 AM
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Smile 2005 TL, HFL Malfunction and Parasitic Draw

Hello All,

I know there is much debate over this topic, so I wanted to share a personal story with you. I own a 2005 Acura TL, which by default has the HandsFreeLink (HFL), base radio/stereo and all factory original parts.

Recently (within the last 6 months) my car has been losing battery charge after 3-4 days of inactivity. Thinking my factory original battery was on its last legs, I replaced it with a top-line DieHard as well as having the cables cleaned and tested for any abnormal draws.

Nothing was initially found; however, during the same time my HFL unit started to act up. Calls were being dropped, sound quality was poor and the unit itself failed to boot. Eventually, the unit stopped working all together and the system was stuck in "boot mode".

My battery issues worsened as it was only taking a mere 48 hours for the battery to loose all charge. During this time I also experienced the following side-effects:
+ Car Alarm Malfunction
+ HUD/Gauge Cluster Malfunction (lighting arrays going insane)
+ And of course, the battery issue

After researching my symptoms, and receiving an estimate upwards of $900 dollars to diagnose, replace and secure parts for the HFL and any additional issues, I decided that I should just go at this myself.

I ordered a new Bluetooth Telephone Assembly from Del Ral Acura (acuraoemparts.com) which came out to $197 and change w/shipping. The part arrived within 3 days.

I printed out the service bulletin posted for broken/malfunctioning HFL units on 2004-2005 TL's ( /tsb/3gTL/b05-020.pdf ).

Installation took 10 minutes which included: removing the overhead moonroof controls, detaching the buttons, removing the old HFL and replacing it with the new part (all steps thereafter in reverse of the aforementioned).

Lastly I reconnected my battery cables, and started the vehicle. I was able to activate the HFL system and pair my phone. The system is back to normal and now after 72 hours of sitting still, my vehicle is without an issue.

So in summation, If you are experiencing these issues, I would recommend fixing it yourself. I am not endorsing wandering into a car problem without first seeking professional help. Our cars are precious, and money doesn't grow on trees. This unit has been noted as problematic; furthermore it is a simple part replacement. If you are up to the task, research the failure, identify your problems and use common sense. You can pay a laborer $110 dollars an hour to fix this problem you will have a $900+ bill waiting for you in return.

With some basic knowledge and perhaps a hand to help, you can save money and time.
The following 7 users liked this post by Djr587:
94eg! (09-18-2012), exlex (07-24-2012), Gustersen (02-10-2014), Hobbz160 (11-02-2014), kaushal98 (06-28-2012), Northern Sole (09-01-2012), Thomasv (05-18-2012) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-29-2012, 12:35 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HFL trouble connected to Battery drain?

Am I correct in assuming you linked the two problems together? I too own an 05 Acura and my car kepting dying as well. Much like yourslf i figured me Honda battery was on its last leg. I also bought a high powered exspensive Die Hard battery. When i bought the battery a week later it died. i got a jump and the battery lasted about a month before it died again. The battery died 5 times over the corse of a year and 3 months. Lastnight after 4 days of not starting the car the battery died and would not take a charge. Car was completly dead, so i took the battery back becuase it was under warrnty. They replaced the battery and im rolling again. i have noticed that the car was dying after not starting it after 3-4 days. I also get the Booting up message when i try to use the HFL. But instead of reading the forum i just assumed the car didnt understand English and i got tired of bashing my head off the stearing wheel from getting sent to the Setup menu instead of the phone set up menu... I would like to know if you have been having anymore trouble with the battery leech after you got your HFL working?
Old 09-05-2012, 06:29 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Wil99
Am I correct in assuming you linked the two problems together? I too own an 05 Acura and my car kepting dying as well. Much like yourslf i figured me Honda battery was on its last leg. I also bought a high powered exspensive Die Hard battery. When i bought the battery a week later it died. i got a jump and the battery lasted about a month before it died again. The battery died 5 times over the corse of a year and 3 months. Lastnight after 4 days of not starting the car the battery died and would not take a charge. Car was completly dead, so i took the battery back becuase it was under warrnty. They replaced the battery and im rolling again. i have noticed that the car was dying after not starting it after 3-4 days. I also get the Booting up message when i try to use the HFL. But instead of reading the forum i just assumed the car didnt understand English and i got tired of bashing my head off the stearing wheel from getting sent to the Setup menu instead of the phone set up menu... I would like to know if you have been having anymore trouble with the battery leech after you got your HFL working?
While the car is off, feel the overhead console where the HFL module sits. Is it warm? The HFL unit is probably the cause of your issue.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:32 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So after many dead batteries over the last 2 years, I finally figured out that it's the HFL in my 05 TL that's causing this (don't know why I hadn't run into those reports earlier). How is it that this is not something covered under a recall? This is clearly a factory defect. I'm no longer under warranty and I'm not happy that I have to pay to fix a factory defect that's killing my battery.
The following users liked this post:
Nicole Piccone (01-27-2021)
Old 10-31-2012, 06:54 PM
Life Connoisseur

Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by VTHokieTL
So after many dead batteries over the last 2 years, I finally figured out that it's the HFL in my 05 TL that's causing this (don't know why I hadn't run into those reports earlier). How is it that this is not something covered under a recall? This is clearly a factory defect. I'm no longer under warranty and I'm not happy that I have to pay to fix a factory defect that's killing my battery.
Pretty sure any electronic item in a vehicle is classified as "wearable." You don't have to fix it, you can leave it unplugged.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:47 PM
4th Gear

just ordered a new HFL part from a az dealer for 202 plus shipping. install looks easy. Do I need to disconnect the battery on the car first???

do this replacement in a week. thxs. schuhbdoo
Old 11-30-2012, 08:40 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by schuhbdoo
install looks easy. Do I need to disconnect the battery on the car first???
Install is very easy, and you do not need to disconnect the battery-- just don't put the key in the ignition when changing the HFL.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Intermediate

So this what was been the death of my for 2 years.
I drive my car to work everyday, but like this passed holiday, I didn't drive my car and I went to turn it on after sitting for 2 days and the car wouldn't start. Took the 4 month old battery back to Auto Zone, they charged it told me everything was fine, I plopped the battery back in the and car started right up.

Prior to this I replaced the OEM battery in 2011, I brought the car in 2008 and it is an 05. So the OEM made it 6 years you're thinking right, but a few months maybe 6 months after I brought the car in 2008 the HLF stopped working, I looked up the price ,yeah right I'(~$500)I'm not paying for that. I guess I was kind of lazy though, because I'm pretty sure it was still under warranty.

To make a long story short, has that d@mn HFL been draining my battery off and on for the better part of 4 years?!?!?!

I mean, it can very well be the alternator, but I'm highly suspicious now. If it is that damn HFL I will take it out tomorrow.

I have a time-belt/waterpump, serpentine/drive belts and spark plugs to be worried about.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by JazzoRenee
...I looked up the price ,yeah right I'(~$500)I'm not paying for that.
The HFL has been @ $160-$180 for the past year through at least a couple of AZ vendors: check the main 3G TL page for a 10% discount thread on top of that from either oemacuraparts.com or acuraoemparts.com, which are both Acura dealers. Some dealers may price match.

Otherwise, disconnecting the HFL is very easy-- see post #221 @ https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/bluetooth-fails-792642/.

There's a scan of the TSB instructions somewhere in another HFL thread too, IIRC.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:57 PM
4th Gear

hfl issues. 2005 TL

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Install is very easy, and you do not need to disconnect the battery-- just don't put the key in the ignition when changing the HFL.
This worked like a charm. Bot the replacement unit of a dealer and followed the youtube directions on how to install it. It took me 10 to 12 minutes and I am not a mechanic.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:00 PM
4th Gear

hfl issues. 2005 TL

Originally Posted by schuhbdoo
This worked like a charm. Bot the replacement unit of a dealer and followed the youtube directions on how to install it. It took me 10 to 12 minutes and I am not a mechanic.
Thanks for the tip Will Y. Search youtube on how to replace a acura TL bluetooth or hfl device.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:10 PM
4th Gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijtb..._gdata_playern

Here is the 2nd video on removing and installing the unit.

He has another one that says. Hands free link removal part 1. They are short but easy to follow. I save 500.00. Just don'tput the keys in when doing this.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:03 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
You guys with the TL's are really lucky, the Bluetooth on my 2008 TSX died, I looked up the part number 39770-SEC-A010-M1, and it costs 751 from OEMAcuraParts! So basically I'm SOL.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:21 PM
3rd Gear

I may be having the exact same issue with my 2006 TL. I am not able to locate the OEM part number for the HLM module. I would appreciate if someone could point me the part number I should be looking for. Thanks!
Old 08-09-2014, 01:42 AM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by ap360
I am not able to locate the OEM part number for the HLM module.
Do a search for "telephone assembly, hands-free" for the '04-'06 TL at one of the AZ vendor sites like oemacuraparts.com or acuraoemparts.com.
The HFL modules have several part numbers as they are attached to different-colored plastic bezels which match the interior colors of the TL.

The HFL module is removable from the bezel, so you can buy a cheaper "moon lake grey" unit and put the HFL module in your car's bezel if it has the ivory-color interior with the higher-cost HFL.

See the last 5 pages or so of https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=792642 for hints and to confirm part numbers.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:37 PM
1st Gear

Check to see if there is a "bulletin" from Acura re: the TSX....I would imagine it is the same manufacturer for those....and MIGHT be covered....here's the bulletin to the TL's and VIN #'s eligible to be covered.... /tsb/3gTL/b05-020.pdf
Old 09-13-2014, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Received 1,000 Likes on 571 Posts
Originally Posted by jacksonsc
Check to see if there is a "bulletin" from Acura re: the TSX....I would imagine it is the same manufacturer for those....and MIGHT be covered....here's the bulletin to the TL's and VIN #'s eligible to be covered.... /tsb/3gTL/b05-020.pdf
Welcome to the forums.

Your link doesn't work because you are trying to link to a censored forum so the computer deletes the forum name.

If you click on this link and follow the instructions explicitly it will open the TSB. https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...-016-a-613659/