Fog light mod almost complete

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
it is that hard: the dealership has no idea what color a certain switch is. All they can do is order one for you, prepaid, and you take your chances. The part number I have posted above is from another thread and I don't have the confidence that that one will match perfectly.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:48 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
The dealership order things from diagrams/catalogs that are black and white line drawings. Unless the item has a color code, they have no idea what color the item your ordering is.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Instructor

I took a chance and ordered my best guess for the fog lamp switch. I just received a 8V31-SDA-1M035 and it turns out to match perfectly with the VSA switch and headlamp washer switch of my Canadian '12 TL.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:04 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

I guess there is only one shade of black interior color for all Honda/Acura vehicles.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Instructor

Well, it ALMOST matches perfectly:

It seems to be the right colour but slightly smaller. It may have something to do with the fact that this fog light switch is push on, push off whereas the other two switches are momentary.
The following users liked this post:
Megatron_79 (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 04:26 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BartmanEH
Well, it ALMOST matches perfectly:

It seems to be the right colour but slightly smaller. It may have something to do with the fact that this fog light switch is push on, push off whereas the other two switches are momentary.
Looks Good to me,...
Old 01-06-2014, 02:59 PM
WTF?

Received 243 Likes on 230 Posts
hate to bring an old thread to life for you guys but i was able to bypass my MICU unit on my 2010 RDX over the weekend and still use my stock foglight switch on the steering column, i would think the wiring is a similar setup.. on the RDX there is a purple wire for the switch that goes to the MICU on the foglight relay (under the dash near the brake pedal) there is 2 yellow wires (foglights) 2 white wires (power) and a blue wire (goes to MICU) on the switch there is already a ground wire so all you need to do is cut the 2 wires that go to the MICU and wire the one from the switch to the one on the relay together and presto! foglights are in your control.. the only downfall is you no longer get the foglight indicator on the dash cluster so you will have to remember to turn them off anytime you have them on..
potmilkz (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 03:19 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
a diy would help a bunch.. see if you can do one.. ive been meaning to do this.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:30 PM
WTF?

trying to get Mr.Marco to let me look at his if i get a chance to i will take pics for you guys.. right now i will only be doing a DIY for the RDX if you want to review that and compair here is the link https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...0#post14816280

i will hopefully have the write up in the next week or so
potmilkz (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 03:54 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
dude that would help!
Old 01-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts
For those wanting to rewire here's a bit better of a diagram I just threw together...
Attached Thumbnails Fog light mod almost complete-fogrelay.jpg  
Old 01-07-2014, 02:06 PM
Racer

Separate post... for those wishing to wire with the existing switch here's the diagrams from the service manual...
Attached Thumbnails Fog light mod almost complete-fog-wiring.jpg   Fog light mod almost complete-fog-wiring-2.jpg  
Old 01-07-2014, 04:59 PM
WTF?

looks similar to the RDX.. wire color wise.. i dont see the foglight relay switch listed in the diagram though.. i will hopefully beable to look at my friends TL on MLK to determine location and wiring
Old 01-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by bluecarbonfiber
hate to bring an old thread to life for you guys but i was able to bypass my MICU unit on my 2010 RDX over the weekend and still use my stock foglight switch on the steering column, i would think the wiring is a similar setup.. on the RDX there is a purple wire for the switch that goes to the MICU on the foglight relay (under the dash near the brake pedal) there is 2 yellow wires (foglights) 2 white wires (power) and a blue wire (goes to MICU) on the switch there is already a ground wire so all you need to do is cut the 2 wires that go to the MICU and wire the one from the switch to the one on the relay together and presto! foglights are in your control.. the only downfall is you no longer get the foglight indicator on the dash cluster so you will have to remember to turn them off anytime you have them on..
After all these years, someone finally figures it out. I did not want to experiment so I took the easy way out and did the OEM switch. I kinda of like it better cu it adds more buttons, Can't EVER have enough buttons! Thanks for the research, could have use this back in 2009
bluecarbonfiber (01-07-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Instructor

I didn't want to go this route because it involves cutting wires in my brand new baby with 8 year warranty. Instead I wired up an extremely complex timer circuit in place of the fuse that let's me use the Accord fog light switch to DISABLE the HIDs and leave the fog lamps enabled. It's kinda wonky, I know but this way I can rip it all out and return to stock to get warranty work done. I swapped out the fog lamp switch LED to a red one so that when I push the button, it disables the HIDs and lights up red to indicate an abnormal mode.

Most importantly what I'd like to report is that this mod is basically a wasted effort since running with the fog lights only is pretty much useless. I've tried it under various conditions including heavy snow and they're just not bright enough (or don't throw a good pattern 'cause they're too wide) to effectively light the road. In every condition I've tested, it's always been better to use the HIDs.

In my opinion, this is probably why Acura designed it the way they did - the fog lamps enhance the HIDs by throwing a wide but not deep pattern. They can also act as a backup if an HID lamp fails - a backup at least for oncoming cars to see you but not very effective to lighting your path.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:31 AM
Instructor

for the curious, here's the full OE schematic with both pages edited into one picture:

and here's my mod schematic:

Old 01-09-2014, 03:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Wow, you put a lot of thought into that. My fog are purely for sundown driving. Plus I like the look of fogs and parking lights on. As you have said, the fogs are not bright enough for much else.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:23 PM
2G TLX-S

BartmanEH, this is some real hardcore modification you have here.

Would you explain your mod schematic splices/connections in more details ?
Old 01-09-2014, 07:50 PM
WTF?

I didn't want to go this route because it involves cutting wires in my brand new baby with 8 year warranty. Instead I wired up an extremely complex timer circuit in place of the fuse that let's me use the Accord fog light switch to DISABLE the HIDs and leave the fog lamps enabled. It's kinda wonky, I know but this way I can rip it all out and return to stock to get warranty work done. I swapped out the fog lamp switch LED to a red one so that when I push the button, it disables the HIDs and lights up red to indicate an abnormal mode.

Most importantly what I'd like to report is that this mod is basically a wasted effort since running with the fog lights only is pretty much useless. I've tried it under various conditions including heavy snow and they're just not bright enough (or don't throw a good pattern 'cause they're too wide) to effectively light the road. In every condition I've tested, it's always been better to use the HIDs.

In my opinion, this is probably why Acura designed it the way they did - the fog lamps enhance the HIDs by throwing a wide but not deep pattern. They can also act as a backup if an HID lamp fails - a backup at least for oncoming cars to see you but not very effective to lighting your path.
i will agree with the fact the stock fogs arent even that great for throwing enough light to make a difference.. there are a few of us out there though that would like extra lighting so adding HIDs, higher lumens halogens, or the brighter led bulbs helps out alot.. i myself have hids and with having all 3 on i can tell there is a difference in driving at night with the brights plus the fogs..
Old 01-19-2014, 10:32 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
...Would you explain your mod schematic splices/connections in more details ?
I've added some notes to the schematic of my modifications. I'm investigating if using TDR would've been better than TDR-PS. Originally I assumed incorrectly that the HID power would be ignition switched but it's not, it's live all the time.
Edward'TLS (01-19-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 09:17 PM
2G TLX-S

I'm still trying to understand your circuit.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Your mod is designed such that let say if you have the low-beam headlights (HID) running at night, switching on the foglights will automatically turn OFF the HID ? Isn't it kind of dangerous ?
Old 01-19-2014, 10:11 PM
Racer

I've added some notes to the schematic of my modifications. I'm investigating if using TDR would've been better than TDR-PS. Originally I assumed incorrectly that the HID power would be ignition switched but it's not, it's live all the time.

Digging the HID Delay... but on another note... are you running the Window Module on the stock Keyless entry or an aftermarket alarm like the old DEI modules... If on the OEM Keyless... is there a thread on this I'd love to put it on my truck and prolly on the 4G as well... She doesn't ride with the windows down much but I would love to walk away and it close everything up without having to do an alarm...
Old 01-23-2014, 07:58 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by User Error
Digging the HID Delay... but on another note... are you running the Window Module on the stock Keyless entry or an aftermarket alarm like the old DEI modules... If on the OEM Keyless... is there a thread on this I'd love to put it on my truck and prolly on the 4G as well... She doesn't ride with the windows down much but I would love to walk away and it close everything up without having to do an alarm...
Er, we're dangerously off topic here, probably a better protocol for this is to PM me but here goes: Check my signature block - there's a link to this: KP Technologies Window Roll-Up Module. It's an OE wiring mod, no aftermarket alarm, but it's not automatic - you need to double tap the lock button on the remote to have it roll up the windows.
[END OF TOPIC]
Old 01-23-2014, 08:00 AM
Instructor

...Your mod is designed such that let say if you have the low-beam headlights (HID) running at night, switching on the foglights will automatically turn OFF the HID ? Isn't it kind of dangerous ?
Not quite, it's designed to disable the HIDs independently of the driving lights. The idea was to be able to have the driving lamps on only in snowy weather. As it turns out, I learned by trying this out, that the HIDs are actually better, even in snow, than just the driving lamps. Hence my earlier post about this not being a necessary mod.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:54 AM
Instructor

I'm still trying to understand your circuit. Correct me if I'm wrong. Your mod is designed such that let say if you have the low-beam headlights (HID) running at night, switching on the foglights will automatically turn OFF the HID ? Isn't it kind of dangerous ?
Not quite, it's designed to disable the HIDs independently of the driving lights. The idea was to be able to have the driving lamps on only in snowy weather. As it turns out, I learned by trying this out, that the HIDs are actually better, even in snow, than just the driving lamps. Hence my earlier post about this not being a necessary mod.
To be clear, in my mod outlined above, when I punch the fog light switch, it turns off the HIDs leaving the fog lamps on or off as determined by the OE switch on the control arm. The fog light switch is modified to have a red indicator light to indicate an abnormal condition when activated. I agree that this is dangerous and I don't recommend this mod. It was an experiment based on the assumption that under snowy or foggy conditions, it might be better to have just the low mounted fog lamps on to avoid possible back scatter from the HIDs. Turns out it's not really the case and that the HIDs are better under all circumstances I've tested so far (mainly snow). I still use it to disable HIDs and keep the fog lamps on for stealthy approaches at the cottage so as not to have the HIDs blasting into neighboring cottages etc. while still getting good lane roadway lighting from the fog lamps.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:33 AM
oops is that your face?

Received 113 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by dwest1023
I have been scared too, thats why I just decided to just rewire from scratch. Lots of ECU's in this car. I was hoping I could just put a jumper somewhere for an easy mod, but the service manual does not give me enough information to make an informed decision. I took took a chance getting the light to illuminate with the dashlight. Even that is connected to an ECU.
how did u get the switch to illuminate? I have the same switch installed for independent control of my 08's drls but can't get the switch to light up with the dash
Old 11-04-2015, 04:45 PM
oops is that your face?

all good!!! thanks again to GP and all his help
Old 11-04-2015, 05:03 PM
oops is that your face?

dirty but u get the idea.