3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit curb @ 25MPH! Car undrivable. What could be damaged?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 06:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by kart69
Why 4 SETS of tires? I assume you mean a set of 4 tires.

Why do you need 4 tires? Did they ALL get damaged, or just the right front?

What does you parents have to do with it? Dont tell me your Mommy bought the TL for you.

Just kidding, I wish I had someone that bought me a TL.
1. he needs all four to be replaced since they are at 4/32 tread.
2 his parents are mostl liklely goin gto yell at him and punish him i some way.
3. ur avatar says ur 16, then i suppose a huge loan, high rates and working overtime is what you have had, i have gone through the same except that i don't work overtime and have a low rate of 3.0%.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:19 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I wish i could get 3.0% The best honda finance could do for me was 4.9% at the end of May. oh well only 40 some odd payments left
Old 11-14-2006, 09:38 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. yeah 4/32 isn't fun in the winter.

I just ordered Continental ExtremeContact from Tirerack for $500US shipped. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S is on special for $169 a piece but I couldn't fork out any more money after repairing the car. It was hard decision between Kumho ASX and the Extreme, I figured aggresive tread pattern on Extreme would help me in the snow belt area.

2. My parents woudl still care although I paid for the car. I would probably get some rant.

3. My camera phone is samsung E900 shipped from France few month back. Now it's easiar to find everywhere.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:14 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless the wheel is warped, the finish can be repaired for probably $40 or so. A local Honda dealer marred the finish on one of mine during a rotation and they had this fix done. Flawless. just a thought...
Old 11-15-2006, 11:02 AM
18,000mi. 29000km

Can you tell by the picture if wheel is warped/bent? Wheel didn't breka that's for sure. How about the tire? I ordered some tires from tirerack but it will not be here until Tuesday and I need to put something on.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by KatyTL
Are you kidding? All 4 of my wheels look like this if not worse and I have NO problems. I hit curbs I would say at LEAST 3 times a week going between 30-50 mph in the city. What the hell - I have yet to have any problems other than some now ugly rims.
P.S. I'm totally aware I can not drive For whatever reason I don't watch the road let alone the damn curb.
I wonder if this isn't my wife secretly posting on the board now!
Old 11-15-2006, 10:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by csmeance
1. he needs all four to be replaced since they are at 4/32 tread.
2 his parents are mostl liklely goin gto yell at him and punish him i some way.
3. ur avatar says ur 16, then i suppose a huge loan, high rates and working overtime is what you have had, i have gone through the same except that i don't work overtime and have a low rate of 3.0%.

Where did you see that I was 16? I am 46 years old.......
Maybe you saw my number of posts, which was 16 before this one.

Anyway, I saw that the tires were 4/32, but he said he wanted to keep them for the winter. I was just wondering in the dealer found someting that caused the need for all 4.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:21 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

Bad news and I'm going insane now.

Frame is pushed a little. I mean nothing like car accident but a little.

1. What could be affected if I drive with it? Pulling to right/left? Car not stable?
2. What do I need to replace/fix? I need some expertise.
3. Is it unsafe to drive with it? I replaced all that parts I mentioned before.

Thank you you guys, I much appreciate it.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:21 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

Frame pushed inward - got the car back for now

I just drove car back.

Frame is pushed inward and causing Right caster to 2.14(min 2.32) and camber to 0.39 (max 0.00). They told me to go to body shop and see if they can pull it outward.

1) Anyone have idea how many hours of labor will be at body shop?

Replacing the whole sub piece will be parts USD$950 + 10 hours of labor.

I noticed steering is angled to the right(I'm going straight down the road but I need to put my left hand on the wheel to keep it going straight). is this because of poor alignment job or because of the camber/caster issue?
Old 11-17-2006, 03:24 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

diagram

It is #1 piece where it's connected to lower arm is pushed inward.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:57 PM
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts
Damn, you should have gone the insurance route or at least checked into it before paying out of pocket. But, that's just water under the bridge now.

OK, enough preaching. Just read this on an auto website. If accurate, you're looking at an additional $450-$600:

"I have a 96 Toyota Corolla. I have been told by a few shops I have taken it to that the frame is bent. They say that it is not bent bad but that it is causing the alignment to be off. How much would it generally cost to straighten the frame."

"To set up a car on a frame machine and measure it will cost about $300.00. The repair would run an additional $150 - $300 depending on how many "pulls" are required to repair it."
Old 11-17-2006, 04:57 PM
Racer

From what I can remember, frame work is around $150 hr. and a job like that is probably 2-3 hours.
I may be way off but that is what my two brain cells seem to remember...
Old 11-18-2006, 09:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DanL
Damn, you should have gone the insurance route or at least checked into it before paying out of pocket. But, that's just water under the bridge now.

OK, enough preaching. Just read this on an auto website. If accurate, you're looking at an additional $450-$600:

"I have a 96 Toyota Corolla. I have been told by a few shops I have taken it to that the frame is bent. They say that it is not bent bad but that it is causing the alignment to be off. How much would it generally cost to straighten the frame."

"To set up a car on a frame machine and measure it will cost about $300.00. The repair would run an additional $150 - $300 depending on how many "pulls" are required to repair it."

Can't you still call the insurance company...? It was an accident... Sure you might pay 500 deductible and all and then be forced to deal with a slight surcharge which you will have to appeal. (this happened to someone I know) but in the end, they did not have to pay the 500 deductible. There was some paper work issues but they were not paying out of pocket. It was an accident that was relating to ice on the roads as well.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:51 AM
7th Gear

rack

how is your rack and pinion? When u drove ur car, is the steering smooth when you make turns?
Old 11-18-2006, 03:31 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

This is what I noticed.

1) when steering wheel is centered, car goes to right of the road.
There is no pull under breaking or acceleration, just pull to the right in general.
I have to keep left hand to make car go straight.

2) steering feels heavier than before. - however this could be cold weather.

Is pushed inward frame causing the issue? My options are 1) replace sub frame ($2500) or 2) pull frame. Do you think pulling frame would make it normal? I think it needs one or two inches pull at most.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:35 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

Originally Posted by Kumbano1
how is your rack and pinion? When u drove ur car, is the steering smooth when you make turns?
I listened carefully steering both directions. There is no rubbing,mechanical grind, hesitation at all. It just feels bit heavy but this is subjective.

My only issue right now is car goes to right when steering wheel is centered
Old 11-19-2006, 09:40 AM
7th Gear

heavy

You can try and replace the current power steering fluid and see if the steering wheel goes back to its normal feel. You can try Lucas power steering fluid. Its avaliable at most auto parts stores. with the car off just take a turkey baster and suck out the old fluid and pour in the new fluid. when finished turn on car and turn wheel left and hold for 2 seconds and then right and hold for 2 seconds. thats to bleed the system if any air got inside.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:41 AM
Instructor

hey im not trying to be mean here. but once damage like that is done to the suspension it really is never the same.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jackasswhy
hey im not trying to be mean here. but once damage like that is done to the suspension it really is never the same.
Not true. I had worse damage done when my car was stolen at 5,000 miles. The car was properly repaired and now has 29,000 miles with no problems at all.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:10 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not trying to be mean here either but that is BS.

My blunt answer,,,,, Stop trying to think through this yourself along with adhoc advice from a forum. No one here can put hands or eyes on your car to understand the extent of damage - nor do most have specific knowledge or background in such repairs. Suck it up, call your insurance company and take the car to a good bodyshop.

Your tires are bald, you slid into a curb and damaged the car. Go get it fixed properly and forget all this rhetoric.....

Good luck
Old 11-19-2006, 01:47 PM
Instructor

even if he goes to a really good frame guy the car still will never be the same. my experience? i own 2 body shops and 3 mechanic shops...
Old 11-19-2006, 02:23 PM
Instructor

even if he goes to a really good frame guy the car still will never be the same. my experience? i own 2 body shops and 3 mechanic shops...
I don't know how to say this without offending. But, I hope I never take any of my cars to one of your shops if you can't do a proper repair. Mine was correctly fixed at the dealer using Acura parts. Your statement might hold water if you were forced to use inferior parts, labor or equipment.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:54 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Originally Posted by FlashG
I don't know how to say this without offending. Mine was correctly fixed at the dealer using Acura parts. Your statement might hold water if you were forced to use inferior parts, labor or equipment.

I hope I never take any of my cars to one of your shops if you can't do a proper repair.

That was my first thought as well FlashG. I was in the business for 8+ years and given the mishap being discussed here, the repair isn't "that" significant.

Now, if the car/uni body structure/integrity was significantly tweaked/bent, then yes, I too would admit that a perfect "factory spec" repair may not be possible. But if this is the case, the car should/would be totalled in the first place.

Jackasswhy,
Like you stated, you were "not trying to be mean", but without performing a full inspection of Actuary's TL, making a comment like yours is not only unfounded yet causes the owner of the vehicle to have unjustified opinions/thoughts towards the damaged vehicle.
If you do actually own/operate said "shops", I truly doubt you make it a point to "inform" all prospected customers that "you could repair but your car will never be the same".
Old 11-19-2006, 03:01 PM
Banned

My 04 was stolen and recovered after the thief ran it into a curb. Broken LF wheel + $5000 in suspension parts and the car is as good as new.

yeah if you ever sell your car you better not lie, and say good as new!

i'll take that car if i found out you lied and drive it through your bedroom!
Old 11-19-2006, 03:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by StrictlyForMyNinjas!!!

No reason to lie. All of the car's maintenance and repair information are in the Dealers records. As I said before it now has almost 30,000 miles. If it were unsafe then I would have traded it for a new one. I also wouldn't have recently spent money for new Pilots. And, I wouldn't be planning on keeping the car for a couple of more years to boot.

That plus you’d have to get by the dragons in the mote to get to my bedroom any whey. So there
Old 11-19-2006, 03:17 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by StrictlyForMyNinjas!!!

what the hell?
Old 11-19-2006, 04:45 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

this thread is getting violent

Old 11-19-2006, 04:49 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

Ok I need this camber/caster issue corrected. My options are

1) get a new subframe
2) pull the subframe. It is at most two inches pushed in and body shop said no problem they can do it. When I looked at it, it looked more like an inch but I'm being safe here.

So which route should I take? For replacement, estimate is 10 hours labor + $1000 IN PARTS
Old 11-19-2006, 05:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Actuary
Ok I need this camber/caster issue corrected. My options are

1) get a new subframe
2) pull the subframe. It is at most two inches pushed in and body shop said no problem they can do it. When I looked at it, it looked more like an inch but I'm being safe here.

So which route should I take? For replacement, estimate is 10 hours labor + $1000 IN PARTS
If the frame supporting structure is sound I would go for new. What does your insurance company say?
Old 11-19-2006, 05:03 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
they said they can pull the alu subframe ?

your subframe has been bent, i'd really be worried that the alumium will rip if pulled.

for the steering being harder to turn, your steering rack is probably a little bent (i replaced one last year on a TL, the client ran into a sidewalk in the winter and the steering was really hard). so i guess you should leave it like that if not too annoying and you're paying out of your pocket. if going insurance, you better have it replaced
Old 11-20-2006, 04:42 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

Originally Posted by Type S Zero
they said they can pull the alu subframe ?

your subframe has been bent, i'd really be worried that the alumium will rip if pulled.
This is where I'm stuck as of today. I went to shops to get estimates and whether it's repairable or not. Half of shops said they can't pull subframe and must be replaced, the other half said it can be pulled because damage is minor.

Now, I also asked about aluminium and some shops said no problem, the others said they can't.

My question is aluminium repairble?
Old 11-20-2006, 05:10 PM
WDP Director of R & D

This is where I'm stuck as of today. I went to shops to get estimates and whether it's repairable or not. Half of shops said they can't pull subframe and must be replaced, the other half said it can be pulled because damage is minor.

Now, I also asked about aluminium and some shops said no problem, the others said they can't.

My question is aluminium repairble?
Yes, aluminum is repairable, But.....

If the sub-frame is what's bent/"out of spec," just replace it. That would be the best repair. (Buy the frame yourself and take it to the shop if that will save you money)

Once again though, non of us here fully know the extent of damage thus no-one is qualified to make a professional/educated statement. If I was standing at a reputable bodyshop and they recommended replacement etc., that would be the way I would go. Besides, you could take it to one stating it can be pulled and in the middle of that process they also back step and "determine" that it must be replaced instead....
Just pick a good/reputable shop and have them tear into it and repair it right.

Best of luck!
Old 11-24-2006, 10:57 AM
18,000mi. 29000km

Car in frame shop - Photo included

Car is in frame shop this morning and I'm killing four hours at coffee shop nearby. The car looks like this underneath.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what am i seeing there? rusted part?
Old 11-26-2006, 05:11 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

the vertical part of subframe is bent backward. It's been pulled and I will take "after" picture tomorrow when I have it on rack doing alignment.

So far, car does not pull to the right anymore - which is good thing. steering wheel is all messed up it's about 15 degree off center to left. But alignment should take care of that.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:29 PM
Instructor

the vertical part of subframe is bent backward. It's been pulled and I will take "after" picture tomorrow when I have it on rack doing alignment.

So far, car does not pull to the right anymore - which is good thing. steering wheel is all messed up it's about 15 degree off center to left. But alignment should take care of that.
So how much in total is this going to cost you?
Old 11-26-2006, 05:49 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

So how much in total is this going to cost you?
So far
42700-SEP-A11 17" stock RIM
51210-SEP-A11 Knucle Comp,
51350-SEP-A00 LWR ARM R
44600-SEP-A01 HUB ASSY FR
44300-SDA-A52 Wheel Bearing
44305-SDB-A00 Shaft ASSY R
45251-SEP-A11 Disk Brake R

4 hours @ C$105.00/hr
Alignment @ C$ 99.00

= C$ 1950

+

Frame shop
Part, bracket, right, upper $40
8 hours @ C$75.00

= C$ 640

+

Alignment(scheduled for tomororw)
C$ 79.99

I will have to see how good of job they've done when I have car in for alighment at 2PM tomorrow. If sub frame is crappy then new frame is $1300 + 6 hours labor. I also bought set of tires and getting set of winter rubber.

Total impact on my pocket is about $4000 including two sets of rubber, curb mishap cost is $2800 so far
Old 11-26-2006, 06:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey3c
Can't you still call the insurance company...? It was an accident... Sure you might pay 500 deductible and all and then be forced to deal with a slight surcharge which you will have to appeal. (this happened to someone I know) but in the end, they did not have to pay the 500 deductible. There was some paper work issues but they were not paying out of pocket. It was an accident that was relating to ice on the roads as well.

I do not believe there is any surcharge for a claim that does not involve another automobile. I have put in claims many times for windshields and theft and never had a surcharge.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:31 PM
Instructor

just read all 4 pages, sorry this happened to you man. I would have gone the insurance route personally but it looks like you are getting it fixed properly, goodluck!

Now my g/f occasionally takes the TL out and now you got me scared as hell to let her drive it during the winter time in snow.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:20 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

I'm scared to go home right now. It's 6:20PM and temperature is -10F and it is ice everywhere. In the meantime I'm trying to order winter rubber.

Do you think I can put studded tires on and off few times over the winter? Because My area will get "Ice&snow" for a week and then dry pavement next week. Would it be too much for lug nuts to handle that kind of stress?

Quick Reply: Hit curb @ 25MPH! Car undrivable. What could be damaged?