Sicilly TL

Old 08-31-2005, 09:42 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Sicilly TL

I am currently station in Sicilly Italy well i just got here and i got a problem they dont have high octane fuel they only have one and for those who complain about prices here it is about 1 euro per liter which is roughly 5-6 dollars a gallon but back to topic what should i do will this mess up my car i am not sure what octane it is but im sure it aint premium
Old 08-31-2005, 12:47 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may get some engine knocking but id on't know haven't tried it in my tl. My wifes mdx if she puts 87 there is some engine knocking. try buying some octane booster there was a report if consumer reports awhile back about that stiff and there was 1 company that really worked. i will see if i can find that issue for you when i get home.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:34 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
be careful in europe the standard are not the same about octane

For example a 87 might be a 91 north america
Old 09-01-2005, 10:31 AM
Registered TL Lover

it is only 2 chocies either unleaded or deisel Sebounet
Octane boost i can get
Old 09-01-2005, 05:38 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's something from the web

if you want to do some reaerch about that

Actually, as I understand it, the "reported" octane number in Europe
(and a number of other areas other than North America) is the "Research
Octane Number" or RON. In the U.S. and Canada, the octane number we see
on the pump is the average of RON and MON. I don't remember what MON
stands for, but it is another measure of octane, which is always lower
than RON. Thus the gasoline in Europe and in the U.S. is of the same
"octane-quality" though at the filling station we see different numbers
on the pumps. I would guess that 98-99 RON in Europe corresponds to
North America's 91-93 (RON+MON)/2. It would seem that some engine
modifications would be necessary to run a car set up for 98-99 octane on
a more than 10% lower octance fuel, yet my European-purchased Volvo 240
Turbo runs just fine on even 87 (RON+MON)/2 octane gas here in the
states.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Received 1,001 Likes on 572 Posts
If there is only one choice, and they run Ferraris and Porsches and Mercedes, etc, on it, then it must be a high enough octane.

Easy enough for you to check. Put in a tankful, floor the gas pedal and see how high the tach goes. If the rev limiter doesn't kick in, and you don't hear any knock, then it is a high enough octane to run the TL. If the rev limiter kicks in somewhere, it will probably be somewhere near the rev limit, so note that and try to stay below it.

Next step is to get a sample analyzed, or check with some of the high end car dealers and see what they say about the octane level.

A lower octane will not mess up your car if you are careful with your foot on the gas pedal and keep the revs down to a reasonable amount. Which may be hard to do in Italy.

Did you get it shipped over by the Navy? Isn't there a base in Sicily where you can get fuel, or do you have to get it all on the local market? I drove all over Europe, but that was a long time ago and we bought gas coupons in the BX which were honored at certain gas stations, and they were very cheap, but I'm sure the Status of Forces agreements have changed a lot since then.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Registered TL Lover

Originally Posted by Ron A
If there is only one choice, and they run Ferraris and Porsches and Mercedes, etc, on it, then it must be a high enough octane.

Easy enough for you to check. Put in a tankful, floor the gas pedal and see how high the tach goes. If the rev limiter doesn't kick in, and you don't hear any knock, then it is a high enough octane to run the TL. If the rev limiter kicks in somewhere, it will probably be somewhere near the rev limit, so note that and try to stay below it.

Next step is to get a sample analyzed, or check with some of the high end car dealers and see what they say about the octane level.

A lower octane will not mess up your car if you are careful with your foot on the gas pedal and keep the revs down to a reasonable amount. Which may be hard to do in Italy.

Did you get it shipped over by the Navy? Isn't there a base in Sicily where you can get fuel, or do you have to get it all on the local market? I drove all over Europe, but that was a long time ago and we bought gas coupons in the BX which were honored at certain gas stations, and they were very cheap, but I'm sure the Status of Forces agreements have changed a lot since then.
Yes the navy is shipping my car i just got here on the 27 myself they dont have a gas station on base here but we still get the gas coupons and they still can be used only at specific ones. Thanks for all the info I havent looking to much into it since my ride wont be here for another month but it dosend hurt to be prepared. Although I have yet to see another TL (Good thing) I see plenty of Accords (american ones) so I think I should be fine.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:50 PM
Registered TL Lover

Once she get here i will definatly be hitting up the photo gallery

Search this Thread