How to get overspray off NBP TL?? HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get overspray off NBP TL?? HELP!!

Hello everyone,
I went to have my car detailed this weekend. Well to put a long and frustrating story short. I found out that there is a rather heavy coat of what appears to be paint over spray on about 80% of my car... the only area that is not effected by the over spray is the passenger side doors and the right front fender. I have read some other information on other forums and I hear that using a clay works really well, but i keep thinking about the NBP. and i dont want to have scratches all over the car when i am finished. if i have to take it to a body shop and have it repainted, i guess ill have to do that, but trying not to at this point. Does anyone have any advice on the subject?
Old 01-22-2011, 11:03 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
When I got my trunk lid repainted, they oversprayed the whole driver side of my car.

Yes, the windows, the black trim, everything.

I guess you get what you pay for =(

Anyways, a week later, I went out and bought Mother's Clay Bar Kit and all the overspray came out pretty easily.

So yeah, buy clay bar and easy fix.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:13 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Clay bar +1.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:24 PM
Intermediate

did it scratch the paint at all?
Old 01-22-2011, 11:35 PM
Intermediate

i will take some before and after pictures.. hopefully get this at least started this weekend...
Old 01-23-2011, 01:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by DwhiteReApEr
Hello everyone,
I went to have my car detailed this weekend. Well to put a long and frustrating story short. I found out that there is a rather heavy coat of what appears to be paint over spray on about 80% of my car... the only area that is not effected by the over spray is the passenger side doors and the right front fender. I have read some other information on other forums and I hear that using a clay works really well, but i keep thinking about the NBP. and i dont want to have scratches all over the car when i am finished. if i have to take it to a body shop and have it repainted, i guess ill have to do that, but trying not to at this point. Does anyone have any advice on the subject?
I'd first try washing the car and see if that removes the overspray? If it does not, it's probably not latex/waterbased paint like is used on buildings.

Has your car been near a bodyshop lately? I can't imagine how else automotive overspray would get on your car.

In any case, a clay bar is the solution for your issue. If you are getting the car detailed by a knowledgeable professional, then they can clay bar it and remove all the paint overspray easily. If you want to attempt it yourself, get 2 claybar kits from autozone and do half the car with each kit. If you have scratches at that point, a simple polishing job will remove them.

Repainting the car is overkill for this, it's like saying you want chemotherapy so you don't have to get a haircut.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by DwhiteReApEr
did it scratch the paint at all?
It didn't scratch the paint.

I also clayed the whole car and not just the one side.

Then I applied Meguiars gold class liquid wax.

Keep the area you are claying wet with the "Quick detailer" bottle.

I remember running my hands through the side and windows and it felt rough and sounded like sandpaper.

Definitely get rid of the overspray
Old 01-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
First off the areas with no overspray .. were they repainted? Second ... you sure its overspray? Third... If you took it to be detailed why didn't the detailer just clay bar it? Any 1/2 decent detailer will clay a car.

Clay bar won't scratch. Follow instructions. What I do is put a large piece of cardboard on the ground in case I drop the clay. Dropping it on the ground means throw it out. Also cut the bar in 1/3 and use that much at a time. Kneed the clay often.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Intermediate

well im not sure that it is in fact, over spray. I was driving up 270 one afternoon, coming home from work and there was a tanker truck in front of me that was leaking this white crap all over the road. it had to be something that he was carrying. Its definitely not gas or oil. It is like a white material. I am able to take my fingernail and scratch off the larger pieces with little force at all. I believe that the clay will work well, I have looked at this site, http://www.autogeek.net/detailing-clay-bar.html and read into how to use the clay bar. I will Post pictures of the Before and After when I am able to get all the materials.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Have you tried washing it?