Groundbreaking Info! Hack your Navi! (Change Pics, Remove Nag Screen) (Garage I-139)

Old 04-24-2005, 11:22 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok. Success! Here are some of my images. Went on a little HHG theme here:

Files are stretched to correct for aspect ratio. Easy to do with Photoshop:
Image > Pixel Aspect Ratio > D1/DV NTSC (0.9)
Then just put it back to square when you're done making it.

If anyone wants the source photoshop files, you can get them here. 1.5mb file.
http://www.thedude42.com/acura/hhgscreens.rar
Old 04-24-2005, 11:31 AM
Racer

^ Very nice, I especially like the bottom one.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:28 PM
Cruisin'

that is some cool shit you guys have too much time on your hands!!
Old 04-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Intermediate

Craptastic phonecam shot

Don't know why it looks so yellow.

We can't edit posts after a certain amount of time? How long is it? I just noticed it.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:41 PM
Intermediate

^^^ Looks yellow in the pic only, not in the car. Damn this 5 minute edit window!
Old 04-24-2005, 06:22 PM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheDude42
I did that, but there was no working link on any of the pages. All I found was nsx26.ttf, which looks kinda crappy....i.e. the bottom of some of the letters is too thick.

Any chance you can post the font?
I'll get it up on my site whence I get a chance...
Old 04-29-2005, 04:28 PM
Intermediate

Made this one

Looks pretty good. For anyone who cares, it's from an Israeli F-15 I got to mess around in and take pics of.

You might notice a resemblence with my avatar
Old 04-30-2005, 12:06 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
will grayscale/black and white photos work too?
Old 04-30-2005, 02:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Acuraluvr
will grayscale/black and white photos work too?
Yes. Click Here
Old 04-30-2005, 03:17 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
am i the only one who is having problems with loading the DUMPNAVI program?
Old 05-01-2005, 03:19 PM
Team SSM

Angry

No, I am too.. I get the "Unable to open bootloader file" warning. All 9 .bin files are there. What am I missing?
Old 05-03-2005, 03:50 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by copter
No, I am too.. I get the "Unable to open bootloader file" warning. All 9 .bin files are there. What am I missing?
The bin file is read-only. You have to remove the read-only attribute so it can be modified.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Chief

How do you remove the read only file???
Old 05-03-2005, 10:34 PM
ABPimpin

I have an 04 TL and i get the no-nag is not supported for your vehicle. ANy ideas? The background change works just fine.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:43 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TL-CrAzIe-05
How do you remove the read only file???
In Windows Explorer right-click on the file BN2HN12B.BIN (bin used in the TL). Left-click on Properties. In the Properties GUI select the General tab. Uncheck the Read-only checkbox. Click OK.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:18 PM
Chief

I have right clicked on several of these bitmap pics and saved them in my pictures area on my computer...the size is at 480X234 but the bitmap size when I right click on properties says 24 bitmap. How do I change this to 8 bitmap so that I can use some of these different pics. The only one I have been able to use is the ACURAZINE one.

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:13 AM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
use adobe photoshop or macromedia fireworks to do it. if you wanna save some cash, you can actually download a 30 day trial for macromedia firworks then do the bitmap changes.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:39 PM
Chief

Thumbs up

Thanks Special Ed
Old 05-04-2005, 03:48 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Originally Posted by TheDude42
Made this one

Looks pretty good. For anyone who cares, it's from an Israeli F-15 I got to mess around in and take pics of.

You might notice a resemblence with my avatar
The F-15's that Israeli has are actual US made. They are US F-15's. Thought I might share that since I just read about it.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dysd
I have an 04 TL and i get the no-nag is not supported for your vehicle. ANy ideas? The background change works just fine.
Yeah... what it is about the no-nag for the TL that is different? Is it just that byson cannot test it, because he doesn't have a TL?
Old 05-06-2005, 03:56 PM
TL hacker

Holy shit! Ok, now this has ignited the programmer in me with some new inspiraton.

Since it's Win-CE and it's a SH-4 processor, I've got the tools needed to do some fancy stuff.

I used to write some simple apps for my Pocket PC in VC++ and VB (Mips processor). So assuming I can disassemble the navi program properly, I might be ale to add new features to it. BTW, the Win-CE tools for VC++ and VB have different target platforms (Pocket PC, embedded an auto-PC). Auto-PC is what I'm assuming navi.exe was compiled for.

So here's my project: Phone dialer!!!

Insipration: When using points of interest, some of them have a phone number. You can then press the "Send" button to dial the number. The assumption is that there's a dial() method somewhere in navi.exe. If this is the case we could exploit this.

Design: The phone dialer would be accessed through the "Info" button. Currently the info button has a Calendar and Calculator app. Option #3 would be "Phone dialer".

Dialer would simply show a phone keypad with a "Call" and "End" button. A text entry box would be at the top to show the number you are dialing. I would probably have to include a "delete" and "clear" button on the screen as well. You use the touch screen to dial the number and then press "Call" to start the call. Pressing "end" or the steering wheel button would hang up.

If successful I would develop later versions which would include a phonebook with names and numbers. They could be sorted by category too, just like the personal addresses.

Why? several reasons:

1 - The voice dial often doesn't pick up the right name or starts doing other things I don't want.
2 - When you have a passenger that doesn't shut up, he messes up the dialing sequence. Usually first time passengers who say things like: "No way, you can do that?" while the computer is still listening.
3 - Sometimes I don't remember under what name I stored some phone numbers so I have a hard time recalling them.
4 - I could type in the phone number on the screen and still listen to the radio. Only when I'm ready to call I would then press the "call" button. This is useful when you hear a phone number from the radio and want to call in to a radio show.
5 - Because it's fun! I just want t osee to what extent we can modify this navi.exe program.

Timeframe: I have no idea! I don't even know if I can pull it off at all!!!! But I seem to have all the right tools to do so. Obviously if I had the full navi.exe source code, the real one, I could probably pull it off in a week or so. But since I don't I'm going to have to try to reverse engineer this navi.exe to figu out exactly how it works. That's probably going to be the hardest part. Adding a new app to the info list will probably be easier, assuming it's properly written object code to start with, which I assume it is.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

If you accomplish this I will idol you!!!!!!!!!! Please please set time to figure this out. If I was as good with C++ and Visual Basics as you are I would soooo do it. But I'm not =(. G'Luck and keep us posted!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2005, 05:00 PM
TL hacker

Originally Posted by underdog_RENAMED2
Yeah... what it is about the no-nag for the TL that is different? Is it just that byson cannot test it, because he doesn't have a TL?
I'll try to figure this one out tonight. Hopefully it won't be too hard to figure out.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeuser
Holy shit! Ok, now this has ignited the programmer in me with some new inspiraton.

Since it's Win-CE and it's a SH-4 processor, I've got the tools needed to do some fancy stuff.

I used to write some simple apps for my Pocket PC in VC++ and VB (Mips processor). So assuming I can disassemble the navi program properly, I might be ale to add new features to it. BTW, the Win-CE tools for VC++ and VB have different target platforms (Pocket PC, embedded an auto-PC). Auto-PC is what I'm assuming navi.exe was compiled for.

Insipration: When using points of interest, some of them have a phone number. You can then press the "Send" button to dial the number. The assumption is that there's a dial() method somewhere in navi.exe. If this is the case we could exploit this.

Design: The phone dialer would be accessed through the "Info" button. Currently the info button has a Calendar and Calculator app. Option #3 would be "Phone dialer".

Dialer would simply show a phone keypad with a "Call" and "End" button. A text entry box would be at the top to show the number you are dialing. I would probably have to include a "delete" and "clear" button on the screen as well. You use the touch screen to dial the number and then press "Call" to start the call. Pressing "end" or the steering wheel button would hang up.

If successful I would develop later versions which would include a phonebook with names and numbers. They could be sorted by category too, just like the personal addresses.

Why? several reasons:

1 - The voice dial often doesn't pick up the right name or starts doing other things I don't want.
2 - When you have a passenger that doesn't shut up, he messes up the dialing sequence. Usually first time passengers who say things like: "No way, you can do that?" while the computer is still listening.
3 - Sometimes I don't remember under what name I stored some phone numbers so I have a hard time recalling them.
4 - I could type in the phone number on the screen and still listen to the radio. Only when I'm ready to call I would then press the "call" button. This is useful when you hear a phone number from the radio and want to call in to a radio show.
5 - Because it's fun! I just want t osee to what extent we can modify this navi.exe program.

Timeframe: I have no idea! I don't even know if I can pull it off at all!!!! But I seem to have all the right tools to do so. Obviously if I had the full navi.exe source code, the real one, I could probably pull it off in a week or so. But since I don't I'm going to have to try to reverse engineer this navi.exe to figu out exactly how it works. That's probably going to be the hardest part. Adding a new app to the info list will probably be easier, assuming it's properly written object code to start with, which I assume it is.
Are U serious? If so, I hope you could find ways to accomplish this task, and we all rely on you.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:18 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 625 Likes on 276 Posts
good luck Zeuser. Show us your stuff!!

Old 05-07-2005, 01:38 AM
Advanced

Hey, I'm pretty OK with VB6 for Win32 environment, if there is anything I can do to contribute, please let me know.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:33 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...86&postcount=7
Old 05-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Team SSM

oh wow noone thought of telling bysin about a phone dialer, good thinking

and while you are working on that, think of a way we can get some music visualizations. hehe
Old 05-07-2005, 01:54 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tajam
oh wow noone thought of telling bysin about a phone dialer, good thinking
dont think the tsx has bluetooth capability.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:10 AM
Advanced

Hey, I still have a copy of the Dreamcast MP3 player (DCMP3.EXE). Since the processor is the same, what do you think are the odds of getting this to run on the TL Nav system?
Old 05-10-2005, 09:54 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

Any updates, That trip computer looks hot. I want to add some features so bad. As said before we are all relaying on you. Is there anything that I could contribute?
Old 05-10-2005, 09:58 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

That trip computer would really come in handy too not that I think about it!
Old 05-11-2005, 01:45 AM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

This thread mentions the ability to remove the Nag screen but just to be totally clear, no one on here has gotten this to work on a TL yet right?
Old 05-11-2005, 02:42 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Casper42
This thread mentions the ability to remove the Nag screen but just to be totally clear, no one on here has gotten this to work on a TL yet right?
that is what i am sayin, has n e body been able to make it work, and is there anyone in MYC that knows how to do it?
Old 05-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Cruisin'

Yes.. I have been able to get it to work. If you follow the directions Bysin gives you, its the exact same procedure for the TL... it works beautiful in my 2005 TL. You cannot remove the nag screen yet, although you can blank it out... and you can replace the initial Acura picture with wat u want.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Zeuser

Why? several reasons:

dude.. that would be so awesome if you could do that... Finally, a light at the end of the tunnel. Bysins been pretty quite for a while, not sure if hes gotten anywhere. Can you please also post a website address or something where we could keep checking for updates from you. This forum seems to get real lengthy and u lose track... thanks.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:13 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by faizzy
it works beautiful in my 2005 TL. You cannot remove the nag screen yet, although you can blank it out...
I don't understand what "you can blank it out" means. Does that mean you get rid of the text and the OKAY button comes up still? Or that you don't have to hit the OKAY button and it just continues on to the map?
Old 05-13-2005, 08:53 PM
Chief

Spackletoe:

That's it exactly!!! The nag screen writing goes away and is blank and then the go button comes up. You still have to push the go button in order to get the Navi functions to work.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Scoobie Specialist

So basically this will change out the initial acura screen for whichever one you choose, and then the nag screen changes to a simple black?
Is there a way to change the nag screen to a picture?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-15-2005, 10:49 PM
GAME ON... NHL RULES!!!!!

Okay, Really Dumb Question, so bare with me...
Can these hacks work on any of the other gen's of the cars? I've got an '03 TL-S, and I'm itching to mess with it. Or is this strictly for the newer Honda/Acura navi systems?
Thanks,
Frank~Frank

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Groundbreaking Info! Hack your Navi! (Change Pics, Remove Nag Screen) (Garage I-139)