Noobie TL owner ?'s

Old 09-05-2011, 02:51 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Noobie TL owner ?'s

This is my first tl. Always had honda's (had a rsx type s)
Traded my 07 Si in for a 08 tl 5spd auto. Ok now the questions:
1. These cars run for a long time being a v6 and all? Mine has 18,000. And anything to watch out for?

2. I have black leather interior. Do they have fading issues or tearing issues?

3. How's the paint I don't have a garage and live in PA. So will it fade?

4. Do the auto trans last ok as long as I so fluid changes?

5. When I come to a slow stop my rear or my car makes a loud bass sound. It literally sounds like a super low loud bass but only lasts minute. Any ideas? Its not the brakes or spare tire.....

Thanks for any answers or help.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:21 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondacrx2
1. These cars run for a long time being a v6 and all? Mine has 18,000. And anything to watch out for?

take care of the car it'll take car of you. might as well start the fluids all over and change them all out so you know they are good (unless you know for sure the car has been maintained up to this point). for the AT, tranny preventative maintenance: ATF and 3rd and 4th pressure switches....do them regularly (many a thread on this).

2. I have black leather interior. Do they have fading issues or tearing issues?

i went 6 yrs without tint and a black interior. however 5 of those yrs the car is covered daily while it is parked at home under the shady trees with the plotting birds and tree poos, and its parked in garages while at work. no fading issues for me. do a leather interior treatment when doing your details and the leather will be fine. the TL leather will wrinkle (as im sure you already have in your car), its just the way it is. the leather can be delicate with localized high pressure (tear or indent). my car is now tinted, and still always covered when its home.

3. How's the paint I don't have a garage and live in PA. So will it fade?

a good detail several times a year will protect the paint from fade. get the layers on the paint and the car will keep on shining the way it should.

4. Do the auto trans last ok as long as I so fluid changes?

change out 3rd and 4th pressure switches, and regular ATF change will make for a happy AT

5. When I come to a slow stop my rear or my car makes a loud bass sound. It literally sounds like a super low loud bass but only lasts minute. Any ideas? Its not the brakes or spare tire.....

???? elaborate please.
see answers in blue
Old 09-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the reply tltrigirl. What do you mean by treat the leather? Also detailing a few times a year uou mean waxing it? And last question. What do you mean by gear switches?

As for the noise. When I am coming to a stop mostly a slow stop. While I am braking the car will make a loud bass sound from the rear. It only lasts a second. I am starting to think it has to do with when the car downshifts it's self it causes something in the rear to rattle or something. I mean it literally sounds like there is 4 12" subs on my trunk. And it's not a rattle it literally sounds like a extreme low bass.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Advanced

Ok I looked up the switches and understand now. Is it ok thou to change when I do my tranny fluid at 35k or is that to long and could cause problems later on? My tranny does ok shifting it tends to hold 3rd gear alittle high going up hills so I manually change it to 4th. Also it mobile 1 a good oil for these cars?
Old 09-05-2011, 09:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Thanks for the reply tltrigirl. What do you mean by treat the leather? Also detailing a few times a year uou mean waxing it? And last question. What do you mean by gear switches?

As for the noise. When I am coming to a stop mostly a slow stop. While I am braking the car will make a loud bass sound from the rear. It only lasts a second. I am starting to think it has to do with when the car downshifts it's self it causes something in the rear to rattle or something. I mean it literally sounds like there is 4 12" subs on my trunk. And it's not a rattle it literally sounds like a extreme low bass.
Check to see if the center muffler has been removed .
Old 09-05-2011, 09:08 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
interior detail....condition the leather (meg's, lexol products....see wash and wax section).

well a simple detail at a minimum is to wash and wax.

it can get a little more complex with different products. clay bar (which is simply awesome for silky smooth paint), polish, then sealant/wax...again google and sky is the limit depending on your level of OCD for your car.

the noise...might be your rear brakes, does it sound like you ran over a flock of geese (kind of like a low decibel honk)? mine did that...the brake pads may have glazed over a bit and not gripping the rotor as well.

for true synthetic, mobil 1 EP (big long thread on this too-see "3G TL garage"). regular dino works fine too, but that's your choice. the switches and ATF...i'm not as well versed on that since i have a 6MT. you can switch them together. i read somewhere, that doing the swtiches every couple of years is good preventative maintenance. lots of threads on the switches and the ATF changes. you have an 08, which are not as prone to tranny issues as the early 04's....but better to be safe than sorry.

lots of info on the forum...you have some studying to do...seek and you shall find. welcome to the club....if you decide to mod...your wallet will not be happy with you.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Advanced

What do you mean middle muffler? And what's a reasonable price to change the switches and trannyfluid? And no sorry I won't do it myself.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
What do you mean middle muffler? And what's a reasonable price to change the switches and trannyfluid? And no sorry I won't do it myself.
TL owners remove the mid muffler to increase the noise to sound like a G35.. this also causes some resonating when gearing down ..

Do a search on mid muffler then go look to see if yours is gone.