Strange A/C noise fixed!

Old 08-11-2009, 08:06 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange A/C noise fixed!

Three weeks ago, I purchased my beautiful 2005 TL which was a significant upgrade from my rusty 1994 Honda Accord. For the first two weeks we were like new lovers and everything was new and exciting, then my baby developed a strange quirk and I feared that the honeymoon was over.
When I went around a curve (only to the left) there was a strange rushing liquid noise on the passenger side, sort of like what you would hear if you partially closed a faucet and the velocity of the water would increase. I narrowed it down to the A/C system by turning it off partway around a curve and confirming that the noise stopped. I called my friend (a Honda mechanic) and described the problem. He suggested a plugged A/C drain hose so I took a look under the car. Right away I noticed a shiny chrome thing that looked out of place, hanging down in about the middle of the underbody. I grabbed it and gently pulled it free, uncorking a gallon or so of condensate from the A/C drain. It turned out to be an extension from a 3/8" socket set that someone had inserted into the drain hose. My assumption is that when the mechanic was doing the safety certification before I bought the car, he was getting dripped on and temporarily plugged the hose with the nearest tool. The noise I noticed was likely the water getting picked up by the A/C fan when I went around a corner.
The love affair is on again and I now have an extra extension for my tool box!
Old 08-11-2009, 08:21 AM
PCM full of water, yummy

Originally Posted by Im2cool
Three weeks ago, I purchased my beautiful 2005 TL which was a significant upgrade from my rusty 1994 Honda Accord. For the first two weeks we were like new lovers and everything was new and exciting, then my baby developed a strange quirk and I feared that the honeymoon was over.
When I went around a curve (only to the left) there was a strange rushing liquid noise on the passenger side, sort of like what you would hear if you partially closed a faucet and the velocity of the water would increase. I narrowed it down to the A/C system by turning it off partway around a curve and confirming that the noise stopped. I called my friend (a Honda mechanic) and described the problem. He suggested a plugged A/C drain hose so I took a look under the car. Right away I noticed a shiny chrome thing that looked out of place, hanging down in about the middle of the underbody. I grabbed it and gently pulled it free, uncorking a gallon or so of condensate from the A/C drain. It turned out to be an extension from a 3/8" socket set that someone had inserted into the drain hose. My assumption is that when the mechanic was doing the safety certification before I bought the car, he was getting dripped on and temporarily plugged the hose with the nearest tool. The noise I noticed was likely the water getting picked up by the A/C fan when I went around a corner.
The love affair is on again and I now have an extra extension for my tool box!
Glad you found the issue, hopefully no damage was done to you PCM from the evap filling up.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Amazing how many of these A/C threads referring to the condensate drain have appeared in the last few weeks.
Good fix.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:38 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by blokhead
Glad you found the issue, hopefully no damage was done to you PCM from the evap filling up.
Is this something you think could be likely and if so, is there a preventative step I could take? Do you recommend returning to the dealer to get a record of this for future reference? Any advice is appreciated.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:34 PM
hates potatoville

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Turbonut
Amazing how many of these A/C threads referring to the condensate drain have appeared in the last few weeks.
Good fix.
Yep! I have to admit I was one of them to post a thread about it. I usually don't use my a/c unless it get really hot outside.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
As soon as the weather gets cooler, I will be spending some time in the garage looking where I can drill an overflow drain hole for mine. Routed away from the PCM. No doubt, another crazy mod from Inaccurate.....
Old 08-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Instructor

Just where is the drain located anyway? I use my A/C constantly....

Inaccurate can tell you how freakin' hot Houston TX is!
Old 08-22-2009, 03:16 PM
PCM full of water, yummy

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
As soon as the weather gets cooler, I will be spending some time in the garage looking where I can drill an overflow drain hole for mine. Routed away from the PCM. No doubt, another crazy mod from Inaccurate.....
Let me know what you find out, I plan on doing something similiar. Don't want the headaches that I'm still having from my PCM filling up with water. It is a huge PITA.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by blokhead
Let me know what you find out, I plan on doing something similiar. Don't want the headaches that I'm still having from my PCM filling up with water. It is a huge PITA.
I'll bet... That's why I'm into doing a little preventative maintenance.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:40 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
Good fix.
It's been unusually cool in the northeast this summer until recently. Now it's warmed up and people are running their air conditioners. In September and October we'll see a lot of posts about burned out switchback bulbs because the days get shorter, people turn on their headlights, and notice that the buttons don't light.

Besides, Blokhead has scared the bejeezus out of all of us.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:10 AM
PCM full of water, yummy

Originally Posted by shftl
It's been unusually cool in the northeast this summer until recently. Now it's warmed up and people are running their air conditioners. In September and October we'll see a lot of posts about burned out switchback bulbs because the days get shorter, people turn on their headlights, and notice that the buttons don't light.

Besides, Blokhead has scared the bejeezus out of all of us.
Man, I wish it wasn't so... I just want my damn car fixed... I'm going to post a parts list of everything the acura dealer replaced. It's pretty extensive. (oh yeah, it still isn't running right... It is idling like shit, the whole car shakes. It has been over a month and half since this shit happened.)
Old 08-23-2009, 09:17 AM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Im2cool
Is this something you think could be likely and if so, is there a preventative step I could take? Do you recommend returning to the dealer to get a record of this for future reference? Any advice is appreciated.
Yes, definitely take it back to the dealer with the extension and get it documented. Have them check the PCM for signs of corrosion or water intrusion. Also, if this was a CPO car, I'd call Acura Client Services and get it documented with them.