No Fan or Air Conditioner

Old 12-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question No Fan or Air Conditioner

Anyone have any suggestions? Changing the level on the manual control for the fan has no effect, and there is no cold air even when the A/C is on Max Cold. It does have heat coming out (no fan) if I set the heat up high and select the vents.

I tried changing out Fuse 21 (Heater Motor) but it has no effect.

Car is a 2004 TL 6MT with Nav with 106,000 miles. By the way, I bought this car new and this is the first problem I have had since the cruise control on/off switch went out at about 35,000 miles.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Check fuse #30 (7.5 A) in the under dash fuse box.

If it's not that, there is a transistor that protects the blower motor. That may have blown as well. It's separate from the motor and is user replaceable. It's around $40...part #79330-S6M-941

Read this thread before you spend money on a new transistor:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/blower-motor-stop-working-try-800460/

The transistor is under the passenger side dash 2-3 inches above the edge of the carpet and at the firewall. I believe you'll have to remove the underdash cover to see it. Look for a 4-wire connector (wire colors are:BLU/BLK, BLU/RED, BLK, BLU/YEL) that plugs into the transistor. Two screws hold the transistor in.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
blower fan has to be running to make ac operate

on gen2 we have a prob with the connector at blower motor melting and failing,
often takes the resistor with it
Remove cabin air filters and ck there --might be able to see connector under edge of glovebox (Im gen2 not sure about yours)
Old 12-15-2010, 04:06 PM
Racer

Problem now fixed - thanks for the help. After doing a search on heater fan and reading several "DIY", I decided that I would let my mechanic fix it. It only cost me $130 and that included $55 (including tax) for the part.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am having the same problem...do you know what the fix was? The display shows the fan speed increasing when I adjust it up, but the fan isn't blowing and the A/C compressor isn't engaging.

It worked fine this morning and then just died when my wife was on her way back home from picking up my son from school.

I will check the blower motor connection tonight after reading the G2 problems they had. I have checked the fuses under then hood.

Any help would be great!
Old 07-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Add another member to the fail train :(

Originally Posted by SILVRTL04
I am having the same problem...do you know what the fix was? The display shows the fan speed increasing when I adjust it up, but the fan isn't blowing and the A/C compressor isn't engaging.

It worked fine this morning and then just died when my wife was on her way back home from picking up my son from school.

I will check the blower motor connection tonight after reading the G2 problems they had. I have checked the fuses under then hood.

Any help would be great!

So............................................just another fucking bullshit problem to deal with on my "luxury" car. I already had to blow $140 on an APP sensor, and that was a great "deal". I need a new passenger window regulator, but haven't gotten around to that yet. anywho.. about the current issue:

A/C has been PERFECT and ice cold for the past 3 months I have owned it. Was working perfectly yesterday. Got in the car to leave for work this morning and the fan won't even come on, much less the A/C. I Bert stared at the display for a minute, and then when I pulled out of the driveway it came on. Worked normally for the 30 min drive to work. Got in the car at lunch, and same deal; nor fan or A/C engages. No sound, no nothing. Came on after driving a few feet. Please GOD, tell me this is a cheap and easy fix. If not, I may kill myself because a working A/C was a huge reason I got this car, so I could get through a Georgia summer comfortably, after the A/C went out last July in my 95 Accord.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:01 AM
Racer

The problem is cause by a bad power transistor in the blower motor circuit. My cost to repair from my local mechanic was $51.00 for parts, $75 for labor and $5 for tax for a total of $131. I was told this problem was common with Honda Accords.

This was my first problem with the car in the last 40K miles and also the first that was not under the (100,000) extended warranty.

My extended warranty repairs (40K to 100K) consisted of only the cruise control on/off switch going bad at 70K miles. So the extended warranty was a very bad investment for me, but I purchased one of the earliest 2004 6MTs that came from the first 6MT production run (Nov. 2003) so I thought the extended warranty would be a good idea.
The following users liked this post:
gogators22 (07-07-2011)
Old 07-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by gogators22
So............................................just another fucking bullshit problem to deal with on my "luxury" car. I already had to blow $140 on an APP sensor, and that was a great "deal". I need a new passenger window regulator, but haven't gotten around to that yet. anywho.. about the current issue:

A/C has been PERFECT and ice cold for the past 3 months I have owned it. Was working perfectly yesterday. Got in the car to leave for work this morning and the fan won't even come on, much less the A/C. I Bert stared at the display for a minute, and then when I pulled out of the driveway it came on. Worked normally for the 30 min drive to work. Got in the car at lunch, and same deal; nor fan or A/C engages. No sound, no nothing. Came on after driving a few feet. Please GOD, tell me this is a cheap and easy fix. If not, I may kill myself because a working A/C was a huge reason I got this car, so I could get through a Georgia summer comfortably, after the A/C went out last July in my 95 Accord.
Didn't you know Acura is a great "luxury" brand? Did I mention you get "luxury" service from the idiotic Service Advisors that only cares about bullshitting and not about their customer or reputation? I mean isn't it the reason why we pay a little more for luxury is to get less hassle?

Honda = Acura after all.....just add 1 more year warranty and the difference stops there. Oh...but warranty does not mean crap if the dealer can't find the problem. They'll just point the blame to their customers.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by coykiam
Didn't you know Acura is a great "luxury" brand? Did I mention you get "luxury" service from the idiotic Service Advisors that only cares about bullshitting and not about their customer or reputation? I mean isn't it the reason why we pay a little more for luxury is to get less hassle?

Honda = Acura after all.....just add 1 more year warranty and the difference stops there. Oh...but warranty does not mean crap if the dealer can't find the problem. They'll just point the blame to their customers.
I feel everyone's pain. For the price we paid for these cars you would think we would get a better car. We thought wrong. Dont believe the hype.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,411 Posts
Originally Posted by coykiam

Just because you had 1 bad service experience you shouldn't be bad mouthing a whole brand of cars. Acura has been more reliable as witnessed on these boards than BMW's, Mercedes and other brands time and time again. And adding onto that Acura has tried to do the right thing over and over again to make the customer happy.

Take me for example, I bought an 06 MDX Touring and the battery kept on dying. Acura got me a new 2007 MDX Sport + Entertainment with my choice of accessories and a 10 year Acuracare warranty to show that they were sorry and wanted to fix their mistake.

Then take my TL, I got a new dashboard for almost FREE at 100K miles and a new transmission at 105K for the price of shipping and tax.

My warranty was up a long time ago however they saw I was a loyal customer who was willing to be calm and work with them and they helped me the best they could have. By you ranting on here shows how much you tried to work with them.

Originally Posted by Tegnut
I feel everyone's pain. For the price we paid for these cars you would think we would get a better car. We thought wrong. Dont believe the hype.
Trust me, you haven't see anything with the price of this car. My 760 is upwards of $130,000 new and it's been with the dealer more times I can count. IN the last 2 years, my warranty has paid out over 22K worth of repairs for things such as transmission repairs, coolant leaks, electronics failures, etc.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jime
The problem is cause by a bad power transistor in the blower motor circuit. My cost to repair from my local mechanic was $51.00 for parts, $75 for labor and $5 for tax for a total of $131. I was told this problem was common with Honda Accords.

This was my first problem with the car in the last 40K miles and also the first that was not under the (100,000) extended warranty.

My extended warranty repairs (40K to 100K) consisted of only the cruise control on/off switch going bad at 70K miles. So the extended warranty was a very bad investment for me, but I purchased one of the earliest 2004 6MTs that came from the first 6MT production run (Nov. 2003) so I thought the extended warranty would be a good idea.
Is there a DIY for this?!?!?
Old 07-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by csmeance
Just because you had 1 bad service experience you shouldn't be bad mouthing a whole brand of cars. Acura has been more reliable as witnessed on these boards than BMW's, Mercedes and other brands time and time again. And adding onto that Acura has tried to do the right thing over and over again to make the customer happy.

Take me for example, I bought an 06 MDX Touring and the battery kept on dying. Acura got me a new 2007 MDX Sport + Entertainment with my choice of accessories and a 10 year Acuracare warranty to show that they were sorry and wanted to fix their mistake.

Then take my TL, I got a new dashboard for almost FREE at 100K miles and a new transmission at 105K for the price of shipping and tax.

My warranty was up a long time ago however they saw I was a loyal customer who was willing to be calm and work with them and they helped me the best they could have. By you ranting on here shows how much you tried to work with them.

Trust me, you haven't see anything with the price of this car. My 760 is upwards of $130,000 new and it's been with the dealer more times I can count. IN the last 2 years, my warranty has paid out over 22K worth of repairs for things such as transmission repairs, coolant leaks, electronics failures, etc.
How come its the BMW you have as your picture not your Acura's? Lol :rofl Just messing with you. You helped a lot of memebers on here. Me greatful.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by gogators22
Is there a DIY for this?!?!?
guess I'm the lucky member to have an issue only one other person has ever had