3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A-107: DIY-Seafoam on 3rd gen TL ('06 5AT specifically)

Old 02-26-2011, 11:41 AM
www.colradodetail.com

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I thought about doing this and replacing my spark plugs and oil/filter this weekend. I'm at 56k miles.

Just wondering if its worth it. I have read a lot about this. Some saying yes some saying no. what are peoples final thoughts?
Old 02-26-2011, 01:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondaforlife954
So IHC would you say dont do this? not worth it? have you ever done it?
I try to stay out of these threads now that I've said my peace.

No, I would not do it and especially with under 100,000 miles. There's just nothing to "clean". I've had plenty engines apart at way higher mileage and it's hard to tell the difference in 10,000 miles and 100,000 miles in a modern engine. There's almost no carbon in the combustion chambers even at 100,000 miles. With older non ECU cars with carburetors and less precise control over fueling and ignition, it's not a bad idea as mileage gets up there. On modern cars it's a waste of money. Especially with the TL. It's in closed loop feedback operation within 10 seconds of a cold start. There's practically no running rich time while it's warming up.

Same with the fuel system and crank case. If you've run a premium fuel for it's whole life and a good oil and changed it on time, there's just no reason for it. It can't hurt in the fuel tank, I'm not against that. But putting it in the oil is not good and putting it through the intake tract is not good.

It's almost funny to read people talking about how much smoke and crud came out of the exhaust pipe as if that's "dirt" being cleaned from the engine. It's the Seafoam burning lol.
The following users liked this post:
ABP_04TL (01-08-2012)
Old 02-26-2011, 03:59 PM
www.colradodetail.com

Originally Posted by I hate cars

No, I would not do it and especially with under 100,000 miles. There's just nothing to "clean". I've had plenty engines apart at way higher mileage and it's hard to tell the difference in 10,000 miles and 100,000 miles in a modern engine. There's almost no carbon in the combustion chambers even at 100,000 miles. With older non ECU cars with carburetors and less precise control over fueling and ignition, it's not a bad idea as mileage gets up there. On modern cars it's a waste of money. Especially with the TL. It's in closed loop feedback operation within 10 seconds of a cold start. There's practically no running rich time while it's warming up.

Same with the fuel system and crank case. If you've run a premium fuel for it's whole life and a good oil and changed it on time, there's just no reason for it. It can't hurt in the fuel tank, I'm not against that. But putting it in the oil is not good and putting it through the intake tract is not good.

It's almost funny to read people talking about how much smoke and crud came out of the exhaust pipe as if that's "dirt" being cleaned from the engine. It's the Seafoam burning lol.
So what your saying is put it in the fuel tank to help clean the the fuel injectors if any where. how much for how much gas. i saw on here 2oz for 1gallon of gas...tru?

have you ever used that BGK44? same idea?
Old 03-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

I have never met IHC in person or even spoke to him. Yet I trust him for advice on my car more than anyone else. Thanks man
Old 03-03-2011, 12:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm a 100% with you But I might put some in the fuel tank though.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
^ bah, i agree with both of you two optical and IHC. the end results of seafoaming my previous TL weren't exactly favorable. the car ran great for a little while, but problems with idling and what have you forced me to replace spark plugs earlier than anticipated. what it from the seafoam? can't say for sure, but it definitely could be the culprit.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, I use Shell V-Power Premium fuel with the "NEW Nitrogen Enriched Cleaning System" that cleans the gunks left behind from lower quality gasoline. I think this is a gimmick though.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
I can tell you that on my 400K mile accord, I could get black particles in cheesecloth over my exhaust pipe when I put seafoam in through the IM. After 3 treatments using a whole bottle, my vacuum was up over a pound and it stayed there. Sure, that is a lot of miles on an old car (it did have an ECU), but it did something...
Old 03-11-2011, 01:00 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've done this to all my cars prior and it's been great...no issues
Old 03-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Back to Acura!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did this last Friday and it made a HUGE difference in how the car idled, picks up much faster now! I also added a couple of the 16oz Bottles to the tank. Along with a 16oz Marvel Mystery Oil to my tank. Car is all around running better. Thanks for posts like these to help us noobs out! Have had my 2004 TL for two weeks and I am hooked!
Old 03-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Team Owner

I can only hope noobs don't take the last two posts seriously.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:45 PM
www.colradodetail.com

Have you ever put this in you gas tank of any of your cars? I think i am not going to do it at all. 1. being car runs great as is. 2. i just replaced the air filter and gas milage went up 1-2mpg. I average 28-31mpg. Next i was going to do the spark plugs and call it good. No need to ruin a perfectly good running car!
Old 03-19-2011, 01:28 PM
Team Owner

I haven't tried it but I can't see it hurting anything. But I do agree with you, no need to ruin a perfectly good running car. The quality of fuel is good these days, premium contains lots of detergents, modern oils keep engines very clean inside, I just don't see the need for this stuff unless the car has a history of neglect.

A little off topic but I saw you're looking to start an audio upgrade. I just did the MS8, if you want I can shoot you a PM on some of the pros and cons. I've only had it functional for a day but so far so good.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:46 PM
www.colradodetail.com

I haven't tried it but I can't see it hurting anything. But I do agree with you, no need to ruin a perfectly good running car. The quality of fuel is good these days, premium contains lots of detergents, modern oils keep engines very clean inside, I just don't see the need for this stuff unless the car has a history of neglect.

A little off topic but I saw you're looking to start an audio upgrade. I just did the MS8, if you want I can shoot you a PM on some of the pros and cons. I've only had it functional for a day but so far so good.
I PM'd you about it.

I just finished changing out my spark plugs. Really easy to do if you take your time. So in the last 3weeks i changed the air-filter and spark plugs(dont think i needed to) and it is nice and peppy!

Here is a pic of my 2 of my plugs, what do you think? I did them anyways since i bought them 3months ago with amazon gift cards i got from work and family.

Name:  IMG_8698.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  90.0 KB

No seafoam here. Even tho i bought it it will just sit on the shelf. If ACURA recommends it i might do it at the 105K service but no need to now at 56,909.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hondaforlife954
I PM'd you about it.

I just finished changing out my spark plugs. Really easy to do if you take your time. So in the last 3weeks i changed the air-filter and spark plugs(dont think i needed to) and it is nice and peppy!

Here is a pic of my 2 of my plugs, what do you think? I did them anyways since i bought them 3months ago with amazon gift cards i got from work and family.

No seafoam here. Even tho i bought it it will just sit on the shelf. If ACURA recommends it i might do it at the 105K service but no need to now at 56,909.
Got it. I got in a wreck between my last post and this one so I was away for a little bit. Plugs look good. Looks like normal deposits from the fuel additives. No noticeable erosion at the gap.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:57 PM
www.colradodetail.com

Got it. I got in a wreck between my last post and this one so I was away for a little bit. Plugs look good. Looks like normal deposits from the fuel additives. No noticeable erosion at the gap.
What the heck happened!! was it your TL. I hope not!!

on the plugs that is what i thought. Did them anyways for some afternoon fun!! love working on cars! especially when you know the job has been done right!
Old 03-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Team Owner

I had a chick pull out in front of me at 50mph. Just scuffed the front a little, I posted about it in the 3g section.

Yep, now you don't have to worry that one of the plugs was under torqued or over torqued and the threads are partially stripped. That alone makes it worth it to DIY.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:13 PM
Back to Acura!!

I am a noob & was just wanting to get the car right

I just got this car early March & was wanting get it all cleaned up and ready inside and out. After reading what you have posted I understand what you mean & see the waste of a Seafoam treatment at the throttle body.

I do have to disagree with the gasoline being clean so no need for Seafoam in the tank. I have not owned this car from brand new so I have no idea of the quality of gas before I owned it. Plus with Ethanol in gas is not the same quality as it was years ago. In fact my sons car is a 2000 Acura TL and he was using Super Unleaded and some Regular from a low traffic Valero here in town. And he had starting issues. I have him filling up at a high volume Shell station right now with Super Unleaded and has not had this issue since. Even in the outdoor power equipment industry we are running into this issue with mowers in and around Texas. And fuel additives are really helping with the poor quality of gas we are experiencing. Including the price of oil going up sometimes I alternate between regular and super to offset costs and once a quarter throw in a can of Seafoam to help keep the injectors clean.

I do not condone using Seafoam all the time or any other additives, but if you see what they are passing for gas from our tests here in our service department you would see why I occasionally throw a bottle of Seafoam in.

I can say right now I will not be doing another Seafoam treatment at the Throttle Body. I 100% agree with your view on that.

Also I love reading your posts! Your knowledge is greatly appreciated. Plus I grew up wanting a GN so bad as a teen! Yours is clean man. Great job!

As a noob, I will make mistakes and learn from em! This one I have learned.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Acura TL 04, G37s 19"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i'm set to do seafoam this year again. i did last year and it did wonderfull things to my card. i have to replace the spark plugs. which are the one i need to buy?
Old 04-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by donheller
I just got this car early March & was wanting get it all cleaned up and ready inside and out. After reading what you have posted I understand what you mean & see the waste of a Seafoam treatment at the throttle body.

I do have to disagree with the gasoline being clean so no need for Seafoam in the tank. I have not owned this car from brand new so I have no idea of the quality of gas before I owned it. Plus with Ethanol in gas is not the same quality as it was years ago. In fact my sons car is a 2000 Acura TL and he was using Super Unleaded and some Regular from a low traffic Valero here in town. And he had starting issues. I have him filling up at a high volume Shell station right now with Super Unleaded and has not had this issue since. Even in the outdoor power equipment industry we are running into this issue with mowers in and around Texas. And fuel additives are really helping with the poor quality of gas we are experiencing. Including the price of oil going up sometimes I alternate between regular and super to offset costs and once a quarter throw in a can of Seafoam to help keep the injectors clean.

I do not condone using Seafoam all the time or any other additives, but if you see what they are passing for gas from our tests here in our service department you would see why I occasionally throw a bottle of Seafoam in.

I can say right now I will not be doing another Seafoam treatment at the Throttle Body. I 100% agree with your view on that.

Also I love reading your posts! Your knowledge is greatly appreciated. Plus I grew up wanting a GN so bad as a teen! Yours is clean man. Great job!

As a noob, I will make mistakes and learn from em! This one I have learned.
I agree with you in that if I didn't know the history of the car I would throw some cleaner in the tank just in case.

I was one of the wierd ones in highschool. Most guys wanted Ferraris and Lamborghinis. I wanted a GN. Finally got one my senior year very cheap. I knew a little about how turbos worked from reading about them but I figured out the wastegate controlled boost and figured out a vacuum leak in the vacuum hoses to the wastegate raised boost. The rest is history lol. Anyone that knows me always asks how the car is doing.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
i heard seafoam causes the spark plugs to foul? should i replace them after doing a seafoam?
Old 05-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
No, they will be fine.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
I did this in my 93' Prelude. It actually made the car idle and run smoother. Then again, it had a high milage JDM engine.

Can't say I would ever put seafoam in the TL. Especially since it's gotten good gas and regular good oil changes it's entire life.

Waste of money on a car such as this. I agree 100% with IHC.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
hrmm.. after reading IHCs posts i may just put some seafoam in the gas tank and call it a day (just bought this car and don't know the previous history on it)
Old 05-25-2011, 05:02 PM
Racer

I agree with IHC, this is not needed if you change oil properly and run premium (93) gas. Which higher mileage car I would consider it
Old 05-26-2011, 08:12 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did the Seafoam in the gas tank ONLY after I changed my spark plugs @ almost 100k miles. Thanks for the DIY's.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Advanced

Quick questions, why use seafoam to clean the fuel injectors instead of the other brands like ftp?
Old 11-01-2011, 10:55 PM
5th Gear

Planning to seafoam Friday and change the spark plugs Saturday.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:46 PM
Early Shifter

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
lol

Just put some in your gas tank.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:17 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by con5tant
i heard seafoam causes the spark plugs to foul? should i replace them after doing a seafoam?

I wouldn't use this stuff more than a once a year. We are about to do the wife's Mazda 70k mi, might do the TL110k , but I don't know if I will use it on the NSX 60k just don't trust it enough. if all works out ok then down the road maybe.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:53 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
I've used this stuff twice now (on a CRX and Integra R) and both times I've got check-engine-lights for the o2 sensor within a month. I don't trust it.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:22 PM
5th Gear

After reading the last few pages of this thread i think i will just go with the tank method only.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Old MT TL

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
just did a port and polish and them cleared all the extra with sea foam. sad to say now but i did it in the engine and gas tank.. after doing the engine the check engine light started flashing! i have a Actron Elite AutoScanner CP9185 so i checked it and had four codes pop up. 3 misfires (cylinders 1,5,6) and one multiple misfire. Drove the car hard put in new in new 91 gas and it works fine now. 150k on the 6 spd TL
Old 12-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
i was really thinking about doing consider the fact i have only had this 05 TL for about a month and dunno any history about it...(carfax don't count)

but right now I dont really know, its almost 70K, i really take care of it like my baby, 91 Premium, Castrol Synthetic, and never go over 3500rpm.....i just want the best for it...hoping to restore its condition/performance to when it was first borned....

u guys think i should do it??? the car is running perfectly now but i am assuming seafoam can make it "better"?? and btw i believe the previous owner never changed the spark plug...
Old 12-07-2011, 07:22 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,914 Likes on 14,457 Posts
^^^I would...

Why would you want it driving like when it was first born if you're not going to go past 3500 rpms?!?

Go for it! About the check engine, funny enough...now that I think about it...I think I had multiple misfires etc too when I seafoamed...but yeah, reset battery and pushed it hard to push all the crud out and it's cleared and been fine for another 30K miles already.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:32 PM
Intermediate

I wouldn't be surprised if the better performance people are talking about is just from running ther car in 3rd (for 5AT) at 4,000 rpm for 10 min and the numerous WOT runs. That alone sounds like it should wake up a lazy TL.... plus maybe the seafoam in the fuel cleaning the injectors, valves, etc...
Old 01-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Glad I read this entire thread before dumping seafoam in all my cars holes.. I read the 1st three pages and was about to buy the 128oz jug so I could do it twice. Think I will just stick to changing the spark plugs as I had originally planned, and skip the seafoam all together.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:39 PM
Instructor

IHC - I purchased my 04 in may, so I have no idea on the previous maintenance. I average 14-16mpg. I am planning on doing air filter Friday. 105k service next week. Should I seafoam the tank Friday or will it be too close to when I put new plugs is?
Old 02-15-2012, 11:01 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jb879123
IHC - I purchased my 04 in may, so I have no idea on the previous maintenance. I average 14-16mpg. I am planning on doing air filter Friday. 105k service next week. Should I seafoam the tank Friday or will it be too close to when I put new plugs is?
If you have to Seafoam it, do it before you replace the plugs. It really doesn't make much of a difference when you do it as long as you're using it only in the tank. If anything I would time it with an oil change. Run it in the tank right before the oil is due to be changed. Some of these cleaners have a chemical that will get into the oil and if left in there long enough can eat away at the bearings.

If you have not purchased the Seafoam yet, I recommend using the Chevron Techron, Amsoil Pi, or Redline.

Air filter makes no difference in mpg, only in power and only at full throttle. Air filters only affect mpg in old carbureted cars. It might not be a bad idea to change it but don't expect a change in mpg. Factory Acura/Honda filters offer the best filtration. They are a surprisingly good filter and I hardly ever recommend OEM parts for anything.

14mpg is fine depending on your driving conditions. Mine gets as low as 11mpg if I do pure city driving. Look at your average mph on the MID. There's a thread around here where everyone posted their average mph vs mpg thread and all TLs are about the same. If you only average 15mph or less like I do, you're going to get VERY bad mpg. If you average 35+mph it's going to be ok. Both are considered city driving but they will have much different mpg. Mine still gets 32mpg on the freeway but I spend so much time sitting at redlights or accelerating and braking between 5 lights in 1.5 miles that my mpg is terrible and the car is fine.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Instructor

If you have to Seafoam it, do it before you replace the plugs. It really doesn't make much of a difference when you do it as long as you're using it only in the tank. If anything I would time it with an oil change. Run it in the tank right before the oil is due to be changed. Some of these cleaners have a chemical that will get into the oil and if left in there long enough can eat away at the bearings.

If you have not purchased the Seafoam yet, I recommend using the Chevron Techron, Amsoil Pi, or Redline.

Air filter makes no difference in mpg, only in power and only at full throttle. Air filters only affect mpg in old carbureted cars. It might not be a bad idea to change it but don't expect a change in mpg. Factory Acura/Honda filters offer the best filtration. They are a surprisingly good filter and I hardly ever recommend OEM parts for anything.

14mpg is fine depending on your driving conditions. Mine gets as low as 11mpg if I do pure city driving. Look at your average mph on the MID. There's a thread around here where everyone posted their average mph vs mpg thread and all TLs are about the same. If you only average 15mph or less like I do, you're going to get VERY bad mpg. If you average 35+mph it's going to be ok. Both are considered city driving but they will have much different mpg. Mine still gets 32mpg on the freeway but I spend so much time sitting at redlights or accelerating and braking between 5 lights in 1.5 miles that my mpg is terrible and the car is fine.

thanks for the quick response. i just did oil+filter 400miles ago. i HAVE to do timing belt, water pump etc. next week because im on vacation and thats the only time i have to do it. i suppose i could just wait until im ready for my next oil change to seafoam and do the plugs?

i assumed my observed MPG was so bad because of an issue, but i guess its my driving conditions. mostly backroads. 2.5mi to work. and the highway driving i do is like im being chased.

MIH reads MPG:18 MPH: 18

thanks again for the help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A-107: DIY-Seafoam on 3rd gen TL ('06 5AT specifically)