Knock sensor chewed by a mouse/Mice eating wires/Mouse Ate my TL (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 08:21 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mic
Sorry, my quotes are in Canadian dollars, hence the difference.
My bad,,, Thanks mic. I should have looked at your profile etc. I just thought man, ~$150 per hour rate was horrible...

It makes sense now - sorry you were a victim of "the rodent"....

Cheers
Old 03-24-2005, 09:08 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My knock sensor out by rodents too

I'm getting the wire from the dealer and will file a claim. How did the BBB respond to others? $300 for repair can't keep going on!
Let's get together on this!
Old 03-24-2005, 10:08 AM
.:KCCO:.

i was wondering where this thread went. sad to see that it is back here again.

the shop that fixed it for me wrapped some electrical tape around the wires so that the rats dont like the taste of it anymore. things are fine for now *knock on wood
Old 04-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Weather Watcher

Did I say I hate rodents???

So as much as I hate to admit it I got raided by rodents too. I must apologize for not taking this thread seriously. I saw it when it first started and thought to myself u got to be kidding me - mice chewing up wires????

Anyhoo so yesterday I was detailing my car and was playing music the whole time. Well 1.5 hrs later my battery was dead - my aftermarket sub amp prolly killed it. So my buddy helps me jump the car from his Mazda 6 and as he is about to replace the battery cover he's like 'u protecting ur car with witchcraft now?' I'm like huh?? and he points out a big freaking nest next to my battery. On further investigation, removing abt 4lbs of dried grass and removing the battery I find some wires have been chewed right off. One of them seems like its headed to a light. One of them leads to no where. Also looks like they had started to bite through another set but did not get aroundtuit.

I am so damn pissed and from the looks of it am gonna be paying for it outta my pocket. But I saw no warning lights or nothing thats why I hadn't seen it earlier. All my lights work fine so I'm stumped. I'll try post pics later and will make a visit to the dealer tomorrow. Damn rodents. Sorry for my long rant.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:59 PM
Yanks in '08!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SSM6MTNAVI
So as much as I hate to admit it I got raided by rodents too. I must apologize for not taking this thread seriously. I saw it when it first started and thought to myself u got to be kidding me - mice chewing up wires????

Anyhoo so yesterday I was detailing my car and was playing music the whole time. Well 1.5 hrs later my battery was dead - my aftermarket sub amp prolly killed it. So my buddy helps me jump the car from his Mazda 6 and as he is about to replace the battery cover he's like 'u protecting ur car with witchcraft now?' I'm like huh?? and he points out a big freaking nest next to my battery. On further investigation, removing abt 4lbs of dried grass and removing the battery I find some wires have been chewed right off. One of them seems like its headed to a light. One of them leads to no where. Also looks like they had started to bite through another set but did not get aroundtuit.

I am so damn pissed and from the looks of it am gonna be paying for it outta my pocket. But I saw no warning lights or nothing thats why I hadn't seen it earlier. All my lights work fine so I'm stumped. I'll try post pics later and will make a visit to the dealer tomorrow. Damn rodents. Sorry for my long rant.
you might be lucky. they probably didn't chew deep enough into the wire. well with summer on the way it probably won't be as much as a threat.

BTW for those who are wondering, i ended up not filing through BBB. they sent me a packet after i filed the claim over the phone. included was a program summary. and i came across this:

Claims That Will No be Arbitrated:

- Claims covered by insurance or warranties of other manufacturers, regardless of whether there is a deductible that the customer must pay (Note: This exclusion applies even if a claim is not filed under the customer's insurance policy.)

i didn't claim it through my insurance cause my premium will most likely go up.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:10 PM
Cruisin'

Well,
I took my car in to dealership last Friday after my check engine light came on (2005 TL, 20K miles). They told me $190.00 to fix becuase knock sensor chewed by a rodent. That is when I discovered this thread. When I went in to pick it up, service rep admitted that this is common. So, as I am driving out, the light comes back on. Now they are saying that they repaired part of the wire that they could get to, but now they need to take out manifold, etc. New total (in addition to $190.00) is $385.00. Seems to me that I should get, at the very least, a credit for the $190.00 already spent. They are also replacing several gaskets, as they "should be replaced when removed". Has anyone had any luck with Acura to admit some fault on this? Thanks.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:13 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Insurance claims don't go up for me (State Farm) unless it is collision damage. But if you have a deductible that is more than the cost to repair, it makes no difference.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:26 PM
Instructor

Just a thought, if/when this happens the first time maybe you could supply and get the tech to cover the wire with a stainless steel braided cover. They are available in the aftermarket, I know they have them for all hose sizes but not sure if they come small enough to fit just one sensor wire , even if this is the case it would seem one for a vacuum hose would be very loose but might well discourage a mouse from a wire in the center of the engine, at worst you would out about 5 bucks.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:44 PM
Cruisin'

My parents have had their car "chewed" by Mickey and friends before. They live in the country and have a carport, so it's understandable. They tried a home remedy of placing an old hubcap of mothballs under the engine where they park. It seems to have done the trick! Strange huh? I wouldn't try this if you have kids around though... Mothballs are toxic.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:51 PM
Yanks in '08!

man, winter is around the corner. i hope i don't run into this problem again. i think i'm going to get some rat poison and put it all around my car this year.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:24 PM
Cruisin'

I think I may know the answer, but is it do-able to remove the manifold yourself? If so, are there instructions available?
Old 09-27-2005, 03:33 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Hi All - although I am happy to say I haven't had an issue with any rodents on my '05 TL yet, I did find the following in my Jeep's airbox last week:

Apparently this little @#$*ing chipmunk thought it would be funny to steal sunflower seeds from the bird feeder, go over to the Jeep (which is outside now that the TL has taken my side of the garage over), have a nice little snack, then leave all his/her seeds in there for me to pick up.

I only discovered this as I was trying to go to Lowe's and the Jeep couldn't find its idle... kept revving up and down... up and down.... I finally pulled the air filter out and found what you see in the pic. Got my trusty old shop vac out and sucked all the seeds up.

Jeep runs like brand new now!

If I ever catch that little ^&%ker (we have a "have-A-Heart trap outside - wife made me get it), I'm going to tape him to the grill and see how he likes going down 128 in Mass at top speed!

I feel like Bill Murray chasing the woodchuck!

If any of you A-Zine folks see him, (he's about 4 inches long, 2 inches high, brown with black stripes and has shifty eyes), please catch him for me and I'll come pick him up. I'll even bring you a 12 pack for your trouble.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:21 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Steveb
I just brought my '04 TL in for maintenance and because the check engine light was on. The service guy told me the engine light was on because a mouse chewed "the knock sensor wire." He said this was common in MDX's and older generation TL's. It's going to cost me over $300 to have it replaced. The wire itself is under $20 and the rest is labor.(over 4 hrs) Has anyone heard of this happening before? Does the repair cost sound high? He said he was going to show me the chewed wire.
It just happen to me also. It seems that the 3 hr installation time was too long.
I am trying to find out to see exactly how long the installation time is for "the knock sensor wire" I end up paying $350.00 for the whole job.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:21 PM
I pimp an Audi A4.

this just happend tomy brother adn got stuck for paying 672 dollars for labor! how is everyone paying 300 for the same job?
Old 01-09-2006, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by pimpravi
this just happend tomy brother adn got stuck for paying 672 dollars for labor! how is everyone paying 300 for the same job?
uhm, by not taking it to the dealer. take it to a local shop, and ask them to wrap the wire in electrical tape when they install it
Old 01-09-2006, 10:03 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
ok where is this problem? next to battery?
Old 01-10-2006, 01:32 PM
Racer

Exclamation Yikes!

Oh Crap. I had no idea this was happening... Ayethetiense I live in Irvine too. Actually in the West Park area of Irvine. I have only had my TL for a week now and I am afraid because all of Orange County has roof rat problems. I have found a mouse in my yard twice since I have moved here (6 years ago) and have seen rats in fruit trees several times in my neighbors house.

Exactly where do I need to put the mothballs in the engine compartment to 'scare' away the rats or do I just put it anywhere in the engine compartment and they will keep a proximity distance from the area?

SCARY!

BTW. I have had four other cars at one time or another and have never had a 'rat' problem with them. Some are parked outside and some inside. Hmmmm...
Old 02-13-2006, 03:01 PM
3rd Gear

I've had this knock sensor problem for the second time now, and I am completely baffled. I have seen no other evidence of rodent issues in/on/around my car. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that a relatively destructive rodent would pick only one wire to gnaw on and then move on. Unfortunately, acura of bellevue will be charging my $350 again. The TCS light and engine light both come on after driving for a few minutes. Why not when I start the car? The light coming on doesn't seem to be tied to a specific rpm or speed, I can't figure out what actually triggers this damn thing. Just airing my frustrations. I find it interesting that such a widespread issue has been ignored. (By the way ,thanks acura, for finally extending the warranty on your tip-tronic transmission. I am 100% sure that it will be necessary to enforce on my 99TL in the near future, hopefully this defective part will be addressed in the future also.)
Old 06-25-2006, 03:20 PM
Intermediate

Chewed wiring/brake line

Don' know if this will help, but here's an idea that might work. I used it to prevent squirrels from chewing up the underside of my deck.

Get yourself a small jar of powdered cayenne pepper (about 0.5-1oz, I think) from the grocery store, and a small jar of vaseline (3.75oz). Scoop all the vaseline out of the jar and onto an impermeable surface, such as a large piece of glass or plastic. Using a spatula, gradually mix the cayenne pepper into the vaseline until it is evenly distributed, then put this mixture back into the vaseline jar. Any residue left behind on the mixing surface should clean up easily enough with rubbing alcohol.

You can then apply this to whatever it is that the rodent has chewed through. It will attract road grime over time, so you may periodically have to wipe it off and reapply.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
get all of the members to sign a petition and send it to acura!!! Then tell em to change or recoat the wires with something else that won't attract rodents and other animals, then tell them to reimburse us for the repairs for the previsous instances.

1. csmeance
Old 02-19-2007, 08:30 PM
8th Gear

Another victim

I just got a quote from Serramonte Acura (Colma CA) for a $734. The mice had a party and left a mess. The knock sensor and its wire harness need to be replaced.

Actually, there was not a mess other than chewed up parts. I have a 04 TL
Old 02-20-2007, 06:34 PM
Weather Watcher

Originally Posted by james94523
I just got a quote from Serramonte Acura (Colma CA) for a $734. The mice had a party and left a mess. The knock sensor and its wire harness need to be replaced.

Actually, there was not a mess other than chewed up parts. I have a 04 TL

That sucks ...I had a similar problem on my 04 but it was worse I think, mice made a nest next to the battery and chewed off one of the HID light harnesses. So my drivers side HID would not go into high beams. One of my buddies said it was awesome that my car would 'wink' when I flashed my high beams. I got a quote of $600 and change from the dealer and decided to buy the harness for $80 shipped and replace the whole front end harness on my own. Saved me a bunch of money for sure, but cost a me a few cuts and bruises. First time I took off the front bumper - Fun!

Wonder if its possible to replace the knock sensor on ur own. Good luck!
Old 02-20-2007, 07:41 PM
No more Infinitis for me

this thread is compete crap
Old 02-20-2007, 11:24 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

I'm glad I haven't got into this yet.
My baby has had special luck since I bought it

1. curb $4000
2. bumper $1100
Old 04-10-2007, 07:38 PM
2nd Gear

knock sensor

I just had my cil checked by advanced auto parts and was told it was Knock sensor. Just like everyone else, was lied to by Acura as "a mouse " being the culprit. I had intended to fix myself but after sifting through here, changed my mind because the problem is infact "recall" worthy i feel. So i have called the NHTSA(18883274236) and put in a complaint to hopefully lead to a alert/recall/ whatever. I also called Acura headquarters and filed the same thing. I would advise all of you to do the same. This problem is more of a rat trying to eat our green backs.......
Old 04-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Instructor

Do you honestly think that they will issue a recall for something they cannot control? It has nothing to do with the craftsmanship of the vehicle.

Look around on some of the other manufacturers forums, this happens to a lot of different makes and a lot of different models. Of the 250 thousand or so TL's that have been sold, I'm guessing this has probably happened to maybe 1000 people... not exactly recall worthy even if it was due to a faulty design or component, which it isn't

I do feel everyone's pain though. I haven't had anything like this happen to my TL yet, but I did have a serious mouse/bird/spider infestation on my project truck that sat for 2 years while I was on a government sponsored vacation to sunny southwest Asia. I ended up replacing all the rubber on the truck and rewired it from scratch. That was fun.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:13 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

This is common on alot of hondas and acuras simply because rodents such as rats, mice, squirrels, are looking for a nice cozy and warm place to nestle, so they climb in the engine bay and nestle between the intake manifold and the block. The reason why this is the only wire chewed is because it in the only wire in their path. Honda has made an updated subharness to help prevent the rodents from chewing through the wire by insulating it better, and you have to take apart the whole intake manifold to replace. I dont see why most of you guys think that acura is lieing to you about this, take a look for yourself the wire just doesnt get cut by itself or even chewed. I can see why this isnt warrantied, because it isnt hondas fault a rat at home chewed though the subharness!
Old 04-11-2007, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by JPA3
this thread is compete crap
I know its been awhile, but what are you talking about? You dont believe us?

Originally Posted by MisterFubar
Do you honestly think that they will issue a recall for something they cannot control? It has nothing to do with the craftsmanship of the vehicle.

Look around on some of the other manufacturers forums, this happens to a lot of different makes and a lot of different models. Of the 250 thousand or so TL's that have been sold, I'm guessing this has probably happened to maybe 1000 people... not exactly recall worthy even if it was due to a faulty design or component, which it isn't
actually it is due to faulty design. design of the wire hareness anyway. The coating is made of a soy product that mice like to feed on. That is why it is all chewed up. It isnt because its in the way or something when they are looking for somewhere warm to hang out.

Ya, soy product as a casing for wires. guess what a hungry mouse does????

And I know its true cause my personal mechanic, not a stealership, showed me the wires.

Best thing to do is get a third party replacement and wrap that bad boy up in electrical tape. Make sure there is enough on both ends as well, do not leave the wire exposed.

The reason it is so expensive to replace is due to the labor. The part is hella cheap. They also need to put on new gaskets and what not. Retarded.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:00 AM
Subsonic

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
my center console AC/Climate control wires were chewed up from delivery, so they fixed it under warranty.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:00 PM
1st Gear

I want to replace this myself

I had this happen to me about 6 months after I got my 04 TL back in September of 2004. It was over $300 then and pissed the hell out of me that the dealership wouldn't cover it under the warranty. They said it was something out of their control and not a manufacturer's defect. 'It's like if you spill paint on the hood of your car.' What a prick.

Well, the check engine light is back on and after checking the codes I see that it is a Knock Sensor Malfunction again. I'm afraid it might be the same "chewed wire" problem. I'm not going to dispute the validity of whether or not this is recall worthy or if this is something the dealer SHOULD cover. We are all hugely inconvenienced by something as simple as a $20 part costing us over $300 in labor. I just want it fixed.

I want to fix this myself. I'm slightly mechanically inclined and I'd like to just buy the parts and fix this problem myself. What do I need? I've read so far that the service departments say they have to replace the gaskets and the wiring. Can I buy those specific parts from the parts department at a dealership? Has anyone replaced this themselves? If this sensor is below the intake manifold, what should I look out for there so that I don't screw up my car? If anyone has done this themselves, I'd like to hear from you.

I'm sure the rest of the forum members that work on their own cars would love to hear how to fix this problem also so that when we replace that wire, we can do it right instead of having to take the lame excuses from the dealerships that there is nothing they can do to prevent it. I hate hearing from someone that there is nothing that can be done and that I'll just have to pay the same $300+ bill again.

Let's stop ranting on how much this sucks. I totally agree that it does. Let's get some people together to put some DIY instructions up on the forum so we can at least save on the 4 hours of dealership labor.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:51 PM

im sorry but i dont know how to do this. the process apparently takes awhile and is a lot fo work.

whatever you do, if you do it yourself or have it done, amke sure it is heavily wrapped in electrical tape tightly. and make sure non of the regular black cover is exposed.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:26 PM
www.drippinwet.com

i'm going to totally disagree with you, its not a defect in workmanship or materials thats what the warranty states, its very clear, a rodent chewing your wires is not something made wrong and this doesn't happen to everyone everywhere, its not a parts failure, its a rat chewing something

i've seen acura help out alot of people with goodwill on parts failures and stuff, they are a pretty good company compared to alot, but its not there problem you have rats or mice where you live, i've never had this problem because i don't have rodents around my car

rodents chewing wires is not exclusive to acura/honda products, can happen to any car as it has

for what its worth to keep the rodents away, put some vanilla extract where you park, they don't like it
Old 09-22-2007, 04:31 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally Posted by acey21
I had intended to fix myself but after sifting through here, changed my mind because the problem is infact "recall" worthy i feel. This problem is more of a rat trying to eat our green backs.......
what is it exactly (its rats), don't be so cheap and pay for an exterminator to come to your house. sounds like any problem you have should be someone elses responsibility
Old 09-22-2007, 04:42 PM

ok, uhm, if the cover that protects the wires is made of soy, a hungry rat will chomp on it. y the hell would you make it out of something that rats want to chew. and oh ya, they changed it the following year when people were having problems and its not from soy anymore. y would they change it if it wasnt a problem?
Old 11-21-2007, 08:46 AM
Advanced

I have just been a victim of this. Stealership quoted me 700 for labor to fix that... What a joke
Old 11-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Advanced

This is not a problem any of us should have on a 2004 vehicle
Old 01-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Instuctions for 2004 accord v6. Should be similar if not the same:
Full Thread From Accord Forum

PDF Instruction Files
04 v6 knock sensor.pdf

Intake removal.pdf

Coil Cover.pdf

Specified Torque
Put a new gasket on the injector base.

Install the intake manifold. Tighten the bolts and nuts sequentially in two or three steps. Always use a new intake manifold gasket

8 x 1.25 mm:
22 N•m (2.2 kgf•m, 16 lbf•ft)

Install the upper cover. Tighten the bolts and nuts sequentially in two or three steps. Always use a new gasket.
Specified Torque

6 x 1.0 mm:
12 N•m (1.2 kgf•m, 8.7 lbf•ft)
Old 01-30-2008, 07:35 PM
User name now jdb8805

I just got finished using the above illustrations, but then found better ones in the

3G garage under fuel injector

C-001: DIY: Fuel filter regulator/filter/injectors/quick disconnect/int man scans
https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/i-cant-stand-seeing-my-parents-141280/

Only think left (I hope) before I get to the infamous knock sensor and wire is the intake runner removal.

It looks fairy obvious except I don't know the bolt order or torque spec -- anyone have it handy? From a service manual?
Old 01-30-2008, 08:29 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Not worth my time to read all the posts in this thread but why in the world would ANYONE think this is a warranty issue or that Acura could do anything about YOUR rodent problems? Coating the wires? C'mon guys, be serious. My ONLY question is "why aren't you guys claiming these cost against your auto insurance policies?" You know the "comprehensive" part of most of those policies covers stuff like this, right?
Old 01-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Comprehensive covered it when the rabbit ate the harness on my son in laws 355F ferarri .. to the tune of $6000

Quick Reply: Knock sensor chewed by a mouse/Mice eating wires/Mouse Ate my TL (merged threads)