How to route speaker wire to front door speakers w/ PICS

Old 06-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts
How to route speaker wire to front door speakers w/ PICS

With many thanks to rodneyc77 in this

Thread from 2008

I ran new speaker wire to my door speakers and decided to take pics along the way. Wife has the DSLR so I apologize for the crappy pics.

First step is loosening the existing rubber harness cover that protects the harness from the door and the body. Also disconnect the two connectors at the door. With this all loose, you can run your new wire through the rubber cover like this:

The connectors on both the driver side and passenger side have unused pins. THE LOCATIONS OF THESE UNUSED PINS ARE NOT THE SAME ON BOTH SIDES. DRILL ONLY IF YOU KNOW THE LOCATION IS NOT USED.

Once you identify locations that are unused by looking at both connectors, you can drill holes in both connectors. On the passenger side, the top row of the upper white connector is empty. Here are the individual + and - wires pushed through the drilled holes

Here is a pic of the holes drilled in the mating connector that resides in the door.

Here you see the individual + and - wires pushed through the corresponding holes in each connector with connectors loose and lots of slack.

Next, snap the door connector into place, making sure to pull the speaker wire so it doesn't get in the way

From the speaker hole, start pulling the slack in the speaker wires that is running between the connectors. While pulling on the wires bring the connector into position and snap the connector into the mating connector. MAKE SURE THERE IS NO SLACK BETWEEN CONNECTORS OR YOU MAY BEND PINS.

Here the connectors are mated

Next step is snapping the rubber harness cover in place at both ends.

AS I MENTIONED, THE EMPTY PIN LOCATIONS ARE DIFFERENT ON BOTH SIDES. Here are the driver side empty slots on my 2004. You'll note they are in different connectors this time. Check before you drill.

Enjoy and good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by AndrewA:
Jet Jaguar (12-15-2017), tegman2 (06-09-2012)
Old 06-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
perfect. Ill be doing this soon. thanks
Old 07-06-2012, 06:25 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow!! its a lot simpler than i thought it would be..
Old 11-11-2016, 02:40 PM
Racer

I just got notice that the pic links are broken. They are in my photo album.

Click here--> Front Speaker Wiring by AndrewA | AcuraZine.com
Old 11-11-2016, 03:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
i'm curious why you just didn't buy the metra oem adapter harness? maybe it wasn't available back then, but now you can buy an adapter that plugs into your oem speaker plug and the other side has two wires that you solder or connector clamp onto the new speaker

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BEPJY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you just use oem wiring up until that point (oem wire needs to be rerouted super easily from your new amp)
Old 11-12-2016, 10:38 AM
Racer

The OEM wire gauge was too small to support my amp size. At best the 22 gauge OEM wire can support about 20W per channel. I was driving my front speakers with 100W per channel

Originally Posted by sockr1
i'm curious why you just didn't buy the metra oem adapter harness?

you just use oem wiring up until that point (oem wire needs to be rerouted super easily from your new amp)