Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 11:25 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backup Lights

While backing up on a dark street last night I found that the TL's backup lights are very ineffective. Has anyone changed the bulbs, added lights or made any other mods to improve them?

I used the search function and did not see a post on this subject.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:24 AM
Instructor

What do you mean by ineffective? I will have to notice next time. Are they not bright enough?
Old 04-19-2004, 12:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ramilford
What do you mean by ineffective? I will have to notice next time. Are they not bright enough?
No where near bright enough. As a matter of fact I think I will check to see if they even work. There was very little ambient light and I could not see anything behind me.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:34 AM
Instructor

Keep me posted if you will, please. Also, TLJohn, I sent you a personal message re: your dash treatment problems. Please read and respond when you can. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:43 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You could try the recommendation that I heard on XM Radio's Traffic & Weather Channel (from the other direction):

At night, back up to a dark building that has a glass front (any closed strip-mall would probably work just fine). Look back into the reflection as you are backing up, you'll be able to test/see your backup, brake, and turn signal lights.

It's a pretty good idea - wish I could take credit for coming up with it! :toothless
Old 04-19-2004, 01:39 AM
SSM 6MT

I think he's trying to make them light up the area of the road behind the car - not what backup lights are intended for.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:41 AM
Pro

Do you have tint? The first time I tried to back up I could not see anything :banghead:

I was thinking it was the tint. I did not think that it was bad lighting. hmmmmm
Old 04-19-2004, 11:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ramilford
No, I was on a street with very little ambient light and could see nothing through the back window or mirrors.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:42 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rstark
I think he's trying to make them light up the area of the road behind the car - not what backup lights are intended for.
Are you saying the backup lights are not designed to provide additional lighting while backing?
Old 04-19-2004, 03:01 PM
TEAM NIGHTHAWK AP

Old 04-19-2004, 03:01 PM
TEAM NIGHTHAWK AP

I have noticed that too. There is not enough lighting when you are backing up in less ambient lighting situations. And it is not too pronouncable even in very dark circumstances.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:11 PM
Intermediate

I thought it was my new tint, but I have a hard time getting out of my driveway. I get better light from my brake-lights..
Old 04-19-2004, 03:18 PM
Safety Car

i dun think you should change to a higher wattage bulb. the backup lights i thought were designed to warn others behind you that you are backing up. it does also provide some lighting to the road but if you get brighter bulbs then it may start to blind other drivers.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:27 PM
Team Nighthawk-C.M.A.

Originally Posted by caball88
i dun think you should change to a higher wattage bulb. the backup lights i thought were designed to warn others behind you that you are backing up. it does also provide some lighting to the road but if you get brighter bulbs then it may start to blind other drivers.

Other drivers? Well, duh. If they are behind me I suppose they will not only be blind but flattened.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:35 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by caball88

The backup lights are supposed to LIGHT up the road so you can see where you are going. You do not need bright lights like the front because you are not going that fast (well, most of us are not.....), just enough to see where you are going. However, like he said, you can not see hardly anything if your windows are tinted.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:57 PM
Hal
Pedestrian Polo CHAMPION!

err backup lights are for 1) parking your car and 2) letting drivers know you're backing up, they are not high wattage for a reason - they aren't supposed to light up much beyond 8 feet and your tail lights should be just as bright too.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:09 PM
SSM 6MT

Originally Posted by Hal
err backup lights are for 1) parking your car and 2) letting drivers know you're backing up, they are not high wattage for a reason - they aren't supposed to light up much beyond 8 feet and your tail lights should be just as bright too.
Exactly. These lights are not designed to provide lighting to the area behind the car. They are merely an indicator to people behind the car that you are in reverse.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:11 PM
Amateur Gynecologist

So you guys are saying that backup lights are to illuminate the rear of your vehicle, as in, headlights for the rear of your car? No offense but that's one of the silliest things that I have ever heard....... They are to warn other drivers or pedestrians that you are backing up, any illumination that they may provide is an added benefit.

Come on guys....
Old 04-19-2004, 10:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cyclonus
So you guys are saying that backup lights are to illuminate the rear of your vehicle, as in, headlights for the rear of your car? No offense but that's one of the silliest things that I have ever heard....... They are to warn other drivers or pedestrians that you are backing up, any illumination that they may provide is an added benefit.

Come on guys....
I don't think it silly to want to add additional light to the direction of travel of your vehicle. They are not supposed to be "headlights" as the rate of travel in reverse is significantly less than travelling forward. They need to brighten up 10 feet or so behind the car. The brightness will not blind other drivers, if they are shining in another driver's eyes they are about to be hit.

When making a "K" turn on a dark street the backup lights in previous cars I have owned have provided enough light to see behind the car. It prevents you from hitting things like cars and trees.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:33 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hal
I agree 150%.

The main problem I have with backing up has nothing to do with the Backup Lights - it has everything to do with the poor rear visibility when I am looking through the rear window. I still haven't figured out why, but I still have no clue how far away anything is behind me when I'm backing up, even in daylight. Maybe the slope of the 04TL causes my rear view to go more "up" instead of "back"?

It seems like it's just a matter of time before I bump my rear-end into something. Sigh ...
Old 04-20-2004, 12:28 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ¿GotJazz?
I agree 150%.

The main problem I have with backing up has nothing to do with the Backup Lights - it has everything to do with the poor rear visibility when I am looking through the rear window. I still haven't figured out why, but I still have no clue how far away anything is behind me when I'm backing up, even in daylight. Maybe the slope of the 04TL causes my rear view to go more "up" instead of "back"?

It seems like it's just a matter of time before I bump my rear-end into something. Sigh ...
Gotcha,

I guess between the tint, the radio antenna and the window just being kind of small, rear visibility is a little restricted. I think there are similar issues with a lot of cars out there.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Exclamation Huh? Color me confused!

Back up lights are to illuminate the area behind the car when you are backing up. Most times, like in your driveway or someone else's, there are no other drivers behind you. They are to make sure you can see where you are going. How could you back up in the dark if you didn't have them lighting the way? You would be totally blind in that directions.

That's my belief based on many years of driving. I remember when they were an extra cost option.

XP
<stroking long beard>
Old 04-20-2004, 12:24 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try turning off the head light dimming feature on the rear view mirror.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by xpditor42

I remember when they were an extra cost option.

XP
<stroking long beard>
That must've been a looooong time ago
Old 04-20-2004, 01:56 PM
Instructor

Lightbulb 1946

Originally Posted by LegendCpeGS
That must've been a looooong time ago
Actually, in 1946 you paid extra for a back-up light (one) dealer mounted next to the right tail light. I remember! By the way, would someone tell me how to get a photo Avitar up and running.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:00 AM
User Registered

Yup. Not bright enough.

Tonight, I slowly backed up right into a black light post (it's light was out). Didn't see it in the rear view or the side mirror. As if it was in a blind spot... in the darkness of the parking lot. So I drove to a nearby wall in a dark area to do a backup... barely lit. Matter of fact, the brake lights illuminated the area more.

Now off to the dealership to quote getting the scarring fixed.

Old 05-13-2004, 12:04 AM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

see?! see?!!! that's what i'm afraid of. i noticed the dim break lights also, as compared to our other cars (camry, ls400, odyssey)... weird. hopefully you CAN replace the bulbs, as i live in an area where there is no street lighting, so i feel really weird backing up out of the garage at night.

i'm also very sorry to hear that you damaged your car
Old 05-13-2004, 11:09 AM
Shift_faster

GotJazz is right. I find that the backup lights are no dimmer than what I had on my old car, but the fact is the TL's rear window is small, the C pillars are thick, the headrests get in the way, I have the wing spoiler, and tinting. With all those disadvantages, I think I would need HID backup lights...

Just need to be extra careful backing up at night...
Old 05-13-2004, 11:18 AM
Super Sooner

I remember seeing Halogen replacement Bulbs at AutoZone. I'm sure you can find them at any autoparts store. I think they were 40-50watts.. Those should light up the world behind you...
Old 08-20-2005, 11:20 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TLJohn
While backing up on a dark street last night I found that the TL's backup lights are very ineffective. Has anyone changed the bulbs, added lights or made any other mods to improve them?

I used the search function and did not see a post on this subject.
Got your answer! I have 15% tint so I couldn't see anything out the back. I went to superbrightleds.com and bought the 921 wedge white bulbs. They have 9 led's each and installed in about 5 minutes. Super bright is an understatement. These things light up the street! I think it is ridiculous to think that your backup lights are not for illuminating behind you! I have pics if you want to contact me...
Old 08-20-2005, 11:23 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ¿GotJazz?
You could try the recommendation that I heard on XM Radio's Traffic & Weather Channel (from the other direction):

At night, back up to a dark building that has a glass front (any closed strip-mall would probably work just fine). Look back into the reflection as you are backing up, you'll be able to test/see your backup, brake, and turn signal lights.

It's a pretty good idea - wish I could take credit for coming up with it! :toothless
Or... Pull the emergency brake, turn your ignition to "on" (without starting the car), foot on brake, gearshift in reverse, then get out and walk to the back of the car and take a look!!!
Old 08-21-2005, 02:11 AM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally Posted by BlackSunshine
Yup. Not bright enough.

Tonight, I slowly backed up right into a black light post (it's light was out). Didn't see it in the rear view or the side mirror. As if it was in a blind spot... in the darkness of the parking lot. So I drove to a nearby wall in a dark area to do a backup... barely lit. Matter of fact, the brake lights illuminated the area more.

Now off to the dealership to quote getting the scarring fixed.

I think a lot of it has to do with the TL's interior and exterior shape. The rear interior and exterior decks are very high and visibility out of the rear window is very limited. So, it's pretty easy to back into something at night. Tint (50% sides / 35 rear) makes it even more difficult.

For me, the Ebony interior has a big influence on my perception of space. It's a very dark environment and I always feel like I have to double check everything around me.

I still get surprised occasionally when I see a reflection of the car at night and realize that it has sidemarkers. I know, very strange!
Old 08-21-2005, 04:18 PM
Advanced

Hey,
Here's what I did to my back lights. I bought aftermarket fog lights (85w), took out the bulbs out of fog lamps and put them into the reverse lights in the TL. Then I wired the switch underneath my dash. I used the stock connectors so that when I backup the lights would light up normal. However if someone is tailgating me I flip the switch and it feels as if you are blinded by high beams head on.
A local shop did this job for me. The name is Audio Visions. There're in Westchester
Old 08-21-2005, 09:03 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 6speedRUS
Hey,
Here's what I did to my back lights. I bought aftermarket fog lights (85w), took out the bulbs out of fog lamps and put them into the reverse lights in the TL. Then I wired the switch underneath my dash. I used the stock connectors so that when I backup the lights would light up normal. However if someone is tailgating me I flip the switch and it feels as if you are blinded by high beams head on.
A local shop did this job for me. The name is Audio Visions. There're in Westchester
You better pray that the person that gets blinded by your action does not end up in an accident or worse cause himto die or you will be force into a long vacation behind bars.

Also, please keep in mind that some law representatives like to follow closely at times to see if you will speedup pass the posted limit.

As you and most other normal people, I do get offended by tailgater on the highway and usually start by pressing the brake pedal just so the brake lights will go on and the car will not actually brake then proceed to step 2 if they do not back off, get the 4 way flasher going and the brake lights on.

If all that fails, I pull over and let them pass and them give them the High Beams momentarily to notify them of their badass attitude.

Best regards from Montreal

frenchnew