audio quality question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
audio quality question

If I have an mp3 file. What should sound best (or they are all equal).
1. Put this mp3 in a iPod.
2. Put this mp3 in CD.
3. Put this mp3 in CD, then copy to HDD.
4. Put this mp3 in USB drive and play from there.

I think #1 > #2 = #3 > #4

is it correct?
Old 04-27-2009, 04:31 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just get yourself a USB memory stick and plug it in. very easy and dont have to mess with burning CDs. oh and just make sure all your mp3 files r over 128bps quality.

Last edited by fusiongt; 04-27-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Needs wheels

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
in theory 4, since the decoding can happen in the HU
Old 04-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Needs wheels

Correction, 2,3 and 4 should be the same since the HU is decoding the mp3...the iPod is sending an analog signal into the HU.....
Old 04-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Racer

So 2, 3, 4 > 1?
Then probably something wrong with my ear

With iPod I can mess with equalizer and it sound the best to me. USB sounds worst to me. The rest I cannot tell difference among them.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:09 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD-A = best
iPOD = 2nd best.

Rest all sound crappy
Old 04-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by godizus
Correction, 2,3 and 4 should be the same since the HU is decoding the mp3...the iPod is sending an analog signal into the HU.....
The iPod is actually sending a digital signal if it is connected through the USB. So they all should be the exact same.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 PM
My Wife's '09 BBP

Does anyone use Apple lossless on their ipod? I'm currious if you can tell the difference between lossless amd mp3 when the ipod is connected to the USB.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:07 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by acura2009
DVD-A = best
iPOD = 2nd best.

Rest all sound crappy
I don't think so. Garbage in garbage out. You probably have a bad CD, maybe?
To me AM, FM, XM sounds crappy.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Needs wheels

Originally Posted by guytdt
So 2, 3, 4 > 1?
Then probably something wrong with my ear

With iPod I can mess with equalizer and it sound the best to me. USB sounds worst to me. The rest I cannot tell difference among them.
the added equalization just gives more flexibility to get the sound the way you like it
Originally Posted by nberardi
The iPod is actually sending a digital signal if it is connected through the USB. So they all should be the exact same.
good point...forgot we are talking 4G here (I have a 3G with aftermarket integration)
Old 04-28-2009, 10:26 AM
User-approved

Originally Posted by bfrez
Does anyone use Apple lossless on their ipod? I'm currious if you can tell the difference between lossless amd mp3 when the ipod is connected to the USB.

I use Apple lossless on my iPod and there is a quality difference between that lower bitrate MP3. I'm very happy with the way the USB connector works, just wish the onscreen menu acted more like my iTouch with the ability to jump the playlist alphabet rather than just scroll.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:00 PM
My Wife's '09 BBP

Originally Posted by BleuM&M
I use Apple lossless on my iPod and there is a quality difference between that lower bitrate MP3. I'm very happy with the way the USB connector works, just wish the onscreen menu acted more like my iTouch with the ability to jump the playlist alphabet rather than just scroll.
What bitrate 128 or 256? mp3 or aac? As much I'm anti ipod (itunes really) my Wife's nano sounds great connected to the usb. All of my mp3s are 256. I'm considering getting a classic 120 and converting all of my flac files to apple lossless. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:29 PM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
Sound quality

Try downloading SACD Hybrids, to the HDD
Sound is great; not surround, but better overall quality, than Ipod
Try Dylan's/Infidels, or The Allman Brothers/Live at the Fillmore
You'll see how much better SACD recordings are; even in 2 channel mode.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Godizus WTF is HU by the way?

Just keep in mind all, that the digital to analog (DA) sound converters in the iPod while great are not as good as the CD/DVD-A playback in the TL decks. The media hub in the 4G center console is excellent but nothing comes close to DVD-A discs, or commercial red book CD's with AIFF or WAV files.

This is a tough topic, as music and sound reproduction is very subjective, even to trained ears. We all know what we like, but what's truly best, only you can decide that.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Did anyone try converting audio file to .wav format then burn them to the cd? For me that works the best in my 04 TL.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:17 PM
My Wife's '09 BBP

Talking

Originally Posted by bmode
Just keep in mind all, that the digital to analog (DA) sound converters in the iPod while great are not as good as the CD/DVD-A playback in the TL decks. The media hub in the 4G center console is excellent but nothing comes close to DVD-A discs, or commercial red book CD's with AIFF or WAV files.

This is a tough topic, as music and sound reproduction is very subjective, even to trained ears. We all know what we like, but what's truly best, only you can decide that.
You're correct bmode this is a tough topic and I agree DVDA is amazing on ELS; however, I only have a handfull of DVDAs and over time I'll have a couple dozon at best.

Another point of agreement is CDs are better than mp3 but, the lossless codecs: flac, apple lossless, wma lossless ... are at CD quality, they are just in a more compressed format without bit loss. Acura's sound systems don't decode any of these lossless formats but, the ipod does and when connected to the usb port the D/A conversion takes place in the sound system. That's why I asked Bleu M&M what he mp3 bitrate he he compares apple lossless to.

Now let the games begin
Old 04-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Right on. What I never understood is how any compressed format could rival the uncompressed format of AIFF or WAV? Something is being lost somewhere, but it's so hard to hear the difference I go with FLAC and Apple Lossless all the time too.

Did anyone try converting audio file to .wav format then burn them to the cd?
Selim what are you asking? What's audio file? Wav is an audio file. AIFF - audio interchange file format, for anyone who didn't know.

Last edited by bmode; 04-28-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:09 PM
User-approved

Originally Posted by bfrez
What bitrate 128 or 256? mp3 or aac? As much I'm anti ipod (itunes really) my Wife's nano sounds great connected to the usb. All of my mp3s are 256. I'm considering getting a classic 120 and converting all of my flac files to apple lossless. Any advice would be appreciated.
The CDs I imported into iTunes at Apple lossless range from 391 to 1125 kps. The large majority are in the mid-700 kps range. I don't know why the wide range - I just picked lossless, plugged the buggers in and let 'em rip!

If you're at 256 kps or above, my thoughts are your only limitations will be the original recording quality of the program material. I'm interested in how those flac files turn out because my next project will be to convert LPs to digital using a modded Technics turntable, a decent phono stage and SpinItAgain software.

bmode, I believe 'HU' means Head Unit, the receiver/amp.

CPR, how does one download SACD to the HDD? That isn't a compatible format with CD or DVD-A. According to the owner's manual, the HDD will only rip CDs and convert them to 128 kps MP3 as you play them. You got a secret you want to share??

The mind-blowing thing about DVD-A is that engineers like ELS (he did Roy Orbison's Black & White Night AND the re-master of Queen's Night At the Opera) didn't have to down-mix anything. They used all 20 tracks or whatever, didn't have to worry about cramming it all on a 650 MB CD. You get the benefits of hearing the recording environment, the breathing of the instruments, and every little thing that puts you into the studio with the players.

I read somewhere that the target for the original TL ELS system was a listening room with reference-standard speakers. The target for the 4G was the recording engineer's studio.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:14 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
The SACD's I'm referring to are Hybrid; meaning they play in CD, or surround format. You do NOT need an SACD player to play Hybrid discs. It's not TRUE SACd, but the quality is like a re-mastered disc; e.g. My Pink Floyd/Dark Side of the Moon, is an SACD/Hybrid. When you rip it to the HDD, it's not TRUE surround, but the ELS system has Dolby Pro-logic, thereby, resembling surround. BTW: Some SACD's are NOT Hybrid; e.g. All Rolling Stones SACD's are in 2 channel/ not surround. Fidelity wise, they blow away the original CD's, & the pro-logic simulates surround. Nothing is quite like DVD Audio, unless you have the Ferrari 612 Scaglietta, which has a Bose system, that also plays SACD's, in real surround. Only car made with a Factory audio, that plays every format. One last note: there are SACD's, that ONLY play in SACD players; meaning they will not Play or burn in a car, computer,unless you have an SACD player or the aforementioned Ferrari.If you need SACD suggestions, for ripping to the HDD, just ask. I have lots of them.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:00 AM
User-approved

I wasn't aware the hybrids would work on a regular CD player and deliver enhanced sound. This opens up some possibilities. Good to know - thanks CPR!
Old 04-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bmode
Right on. What I never understood is how any compressed format could rival the uncompressed format of AIFF or WAV? Something is being lost somewhere, but it's so hard to hear the difference I go with FLAC and Apple Lossless all the time too.

Selim what are you asking? What's audio file? Wav is an audio file. AIFF - audio interchange file format, for anyone who didn't know.
I meant to say I convert MP3 to Wav then burn it to the CD using Windows Media Player. It sound better than using MP3 music files to burn a CD.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

I meant to say I convert MP3 to Wav then burn it to the CD using Windows Media Player. It sound better than using MP3 music files to burn a CD.
I don't know, there's so many variables involved with the whole digital audio process, but it seems rather redundant to do that, and depending on your source and computer quality, it might degrade a little? I've been using PC and Mac for 20 years and the Mac just sounds better overall, and with the new built in digital TOS-link (optical) in and outs on my Mac Pro, it's really above the rest for playback. Whatever works for ya I guess?