Need help with shake/shudder

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 07:45 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help with shake/shudder

Fellow Aziners, I need your help. I have brought my car to at least 3 shops and they have not found the problem.

Symptom: Car shudders/shakes (not violently) during acceleration. Not scary but definitely annoying. It only happens when gas is stepped on very lightly (usually less or around 2k rpm.) Once I let go of the gas, no more shakes. Also, if I press down more on the gas (higher RPM) the shaking goes away.

No CEL but not sure if its related, I got a misfire code one time (just one), but after just 3 days, it was gone. I'm thinking may be just bad gas or something. The first shop I went to told me its the motor mounts, and so I had them replace with the poly's from Excellerate, but the problem still persisted. One shop told me its my tires since they of different brands and some of them does not have the same thread left. This did not make sense to me because it only happens when I accelerated and also, I changed 2 of my tires recently and the shaking is still there. The third shop just cant find anything. I already did the seafoam, vac line, gas and oil twice this year so that did not help my case neither. I doubt its the trasmission because my car shift smoothly. Would it be a coil that threw the code before?
Im bringing my car to a fourth shop here in San Diego again tomorrow. Let me know what you guys think so we can pin point the problem easier. TIA
Old 11-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
They could be right about hte tires, I had the same issue and when I replaced all four the shaking went away. It did only happen at certain RPM's also. I don't know much about motor mounts but you did replace all of them right? The engine mounts and the transmission mounts?
Old 11-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Instructor

yes. Replaced all mounts including transmission. If tires tho.. How is it related during acceleration? Shakes only when I step on gas.
Originally Posted by n1njai
They could be right about hte tires, I had the same issue and when I replaced all four the shaking went away. It did only happen at certain RPM's also. I don't know much about motor mounts but you did replace all of them right? The engine mounts and the transmission mounts?
Old 11-16-2011, 11:20 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Possibly driveshafts.
I normally test drive, gassing it all the way to say 70, when it starts shaking back off of the gas, most of the time it's the c/v shafts. You might try it on jackstands (may get ABS codes and a light).
I think I paid about 186 for both shafts.
Also get under the car and grab the shafts there shouldn't be excessive play from top to bottom. (There should be some play side to side).

I had a customer driving at slower speeds get the same thing, vibration on acceleration and goes away letting go of the gas at say 25mph, drive shafts were coming apart internally.

If the tires aren't the problem it could be the shafts.
Think about it. What rotates at the speed you are driving? Drive shafts, wheels, tires, bearings, transmission... That's about it.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:35 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
I had the same problem as you. It was more pronounce when going uphill. Turned out to be the transmission. Changed the ATF and it went away.

But if you got a misfire CEL while it happened, I would investigate the engine.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:53 PM
Instructor

My car is in the shop right now. Master tech said seems like tires because the shudder/shake is subtle. They also plugged a computer and it was showing misfires but no engine light. I will let you guy know what they tell me when I hear from them.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:55 PM
Instructor

for the shafts issue, were the vibrations violent? mine are really subtle but very annoying.

Originally Posted by sammy95
Possibly driveshafts.
I normally test drive, gassing it all the way to say 70, when it starts shaking back off of the gas, most of the time it's the c/v shafts. You might try it on jackstands (may get ABS codes and a light).
I think I paid about 186 for both shafts.
Also get under the car and grab the shafts there shouldn't be excessive play from top to bottom. (There should be some play side to side).

I had a customer driving at slower speeds get the same thing, vibration on acceleration and goes away letting go of the gas at say 25mph, drive shafts were coming apart internally.

If the tires aren't the problem it could be the shafts.
Think about it. What rotates at the speed you are driving? Drive shafts, wheels, tires, bearings, transmission... That's about it.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:57 AM
Instructor

On my car it would vibrate a little, accelerating anywhere from 30-65mph, I knew it wasn't bad, well long term it could throw out the differential bearings. So I would say subtle and annoying like you said.

The other car I worked on it had a pretty violent shake at just 25mph.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:58 AM
Instructor

Oh and it seems Honda/Acura crank sensors are pretty sensitive to bumpy road or shakes or vibrations, at times the car could pick it up on a miss fire counter.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Instructor

So the tech plugged in the computer to my car and then he was stepping on the gas once in a while. Then he showed me on the screen that there were 7 misfires. He tells me its something I should look at but he imply that it was something serious or urgent. Again, no CEL showing. Is this something worth him looking into and me spending more money on to fix? Im already down $300 from fixing the VSA light. Thoughts?

Oh and it seems Honda/Acura crank sensors are pretty sensitive to bumpy road or shakes or vibrations, at times the car could pick it up on a miss fire counter.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Instructor

On my car it would vibrate a little, accelerating anywhere from 30-65mph, I knew it wasn't bad, well long term it could throw out the differential bearings. So I would say subtle and annoying like you said.

The other car I worked on it had a pretty violent shake at just 25mph.
Where are you in SoCal? You have a shop?
Old 11-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Karanx7
I had the same problem as you. It was more pronounce when going uphill. Turned out to be the transmission. Changed the ATF and it went away.

But if you got a misfire CEL while it happened, I would investigate the engine.
Tech said my transmission if fine. He said to shifts too soft which indicates wearing of the clutch(pack?) but that is normal since my car is at 135k.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:05 PM
Instructor

I don't have a shop, but I do have a few ASE's and a lot of experience on Honda and Toyota's...

I'd just throw shafts on your car, I don't know if you're like me but I baby my car too much, so if it needs it it's getting it, most of the time parts come from Acura but there are things I'll get from O'Reilly's. So I'd get some shafts, do it yourself, or take buy the parts and have some one do it. And be done with it. (The big bolt on the shaft ends is tough sometimes).

What year is it? And are you the guy who had VSA issues in another thread? I don't recall you mentioning the VSA light. Also when was the last time you replaced your spark plugs? And a timing belt? And in which cylinders did he notice the misfires?
I'm assuming he's stepping on the gas while the car is in park? At a stop? Or when he's driving it?

It might be that you have some valve issues, so I would check your compression, I can't remember what the spec is and the maximum psi difference between cylinders, that's a possibility.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Instructor

I don't have a shop, but I do have a few ASE's and a lot of experience on Honda and Toyota's...

I'd just throw shafts on your car, I don't know if you're like me but I baby my car too much, so if it needs it it's getting it, most of the time parts come from Acura but there are things I'll get from O'Reilly's. So I'd get some shafts, do it yourself, or take buy the parts and have some one do it. And be done with it. (The big bolt on the shaft ends is tough sometimes).

What year is it? And are you the guy who had VSA issues in another thread? I don't recall you mentioning the VSA light. Also when was the last time you replaced your spark plugs? And a timing belt? And in which cylinders did he notice the misfires?
I'm assuming he's stepping on the gas while the car is in park? At a stop? Or when he's driving it?

It might be that you have some valve issues, so I would check your compression, I can't remember what the spec is and the maximum psi difference between cylinders, that's a possibility.
I have an 03 TLS. At this point, I cant really afford major repairs so may be ima hold off on doing that. Im just gonna hope its tires. 105k has already been done and on time.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Instructor

are the misfires normal? or its something that should be looked at ASAP? No CEL though
Old 11-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Instructor

It's something that needs attention soon, I don't see why you can't drive it for now. Especially since the Check Engine Light isn't on.
(If it were on, then it would be dangerous for the health of your car, if they were missfire codes).

If you know someone have them check compression...

Have you overheated you car?
Old 11-25-2011, 05:11 PM
99Ackrite

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What about the carrier bearing on the inner half shaft? Passenger side. I have up and down play in mine, I wanna replace it but the whole part new is 217 bucks.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Instructor

For sure, man, that bearing gone bad will cause vibrations, especially up and down movement. Not very common though.

Hope you find a cheaper price somewhere.
For an 01 TL it's about 30.55 before tax and shipping for the bearing, if you're savvy with a press.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:47 AM
Instructor

It's something that needs attention soon, I don't see why you can't drive it for now. Especially since the Check Engine Light isn't on.
(If it were on, then it would be dangerous for the health of your car, if they were missfire codes).

If you know someone have them check compression...

Have you overheated you car?

Car never overheated... ever
Old 11-30-2011, 11:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
many times shake on accell is the cv joint on inner end of axle
replace entire unit with all NEW (not rebuilt) one from NAPA for about 100$ part

no CEL- so what - you have multi misfire codes! did tech give the code/cyl numbers the ecu thinks are involved?
its probably got a bad coil which freaks the ecu into saying its 3 or more cylinders when its really just 1
easy way to test them- remove power to 1 coil at a time and observe any change in rpm
should drop if good coil
no rpm drop = install new coil there, then reset ECU by pulling CLOCK fuse on end of dash-- passenger side, for a minute then reinsert
The following users liked this post:
yeedatoy (12-17-2011)
Old 11-30-2011, 11:54 AM
Team Owner

to see if its tires swap them front to rear
Old 11-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same exact thing with my car, and it usually happens around 2k RPM as well. I took it to a shop but they couldn't find anything wrong. I doubt it's the tires because even after they rotated my tires, the shaking was still there. I read around the forum that a transmission flush could solve the problem. I have yet to try it out, but will get back to you when I do.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Team Owner

trans fluid change doesnt equal shake of car fix !!
while 3.4 qts of new honda DW-1 flud wont hurt the trans,,
the main rotating/supporting parts are what need first inspection

as stated before ball joints, control arm bushings, cv joints especially inner one
and the rest of the steering and suspension--thats where steering wheel shakes start
Old 12-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
check your tires mine was shaking weird after i changed tires and inner axle boot i checked axle it was fine, then i swapped the front and rear tires and it went away gonna drive it around tommorow to double check
Old 12-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I have the same problem and can't seem to get rid of it. I changed my cv shafts and my lower ball joints. I checked all my other suspension parts and they are fine. Something is wrong with my transmission though, and I believe it's transmission related
Old 12-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I also switched back to my stock rims, and problem still existed.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:34 AM
Instructor

Possible bad wheel bearings in the front? Any play from the 12 and 6 o'clock positions with the car in the air?
Old 12-11-2011, 03:17 PM
99Ackrite

Hey Sammy,

Just a general response I have no bad ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings. no play in my steering AT ALL. My tires are balanced to a TEE. Only when I accelerate on the highway or car is under load does it do the vibration. If I let off the throttle smooth as silk. My right axle has been replaced with a NEW NAPA unit also. I can feel this shake under the passenger floor pan also. It will be checked tomorrow because I can't go on the highway now as is. Will update tomorrow evening.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:34 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
It could possibly be your ignition coils. Mine did the same thing while lightly accelerating. Turns out I had a bad batch and they all went bad one by one.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:18 PM
kill you till you die

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts
7 misfires on a 6cyl...is that possible? Like 01tl4tl said it's probably just one ignition coil, $44 part. Misfires usually throw a flashing CEL and vibration at idle. Do you have aftermarket wheels by any chance? I had worn and mismatched tires once, I raced a buddies civic up until about 95mph when my car tried to fly off the road...I was going in a straight line on flat ground! Get some matching tires! Are any of your wheels bent...that could cause vibration easily.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:19 PM
kill you till you die

Originally Posted by ChaiLatte
It could possibly be your ignition coils. Mine did the same thing while lightly accelerating. Turns out I had a bad batch and they all went bad one by one.

Bad batch? Are you sure they're not going out because you have cheap plugs? Your plugs should be NGK, about $7-$10 a piece.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by yeedatoy
Bad batch? Are you sure they're not going out because you have cheap plugs? Your plugs should be NGK, about $7-$10 a piece.
Plugs were changed with OEM at around 95k, the coils started going bad at around 98k, so I suppose they could be but with OEM plugs I doubt it. And I love your taste by the way , your TL looks just like what I want mine to look like. I have a '99, is yours Taffeta or pearl?
Old 12-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by yeedatoy
Plugs were changed with OEM at around 95k, the coils started going bad at around 98k, so I suppose they could be but with OEM plugs I doubt it. And I love your taste by the way , your TL is just like what I want mine to look like. I have a '99, is yours Taffeta or pearl paint?
The following users liked this post:
yeedatoy (12-17-2011)
Old 12-17-2011, 07:01 PM
kill you till you die

Damn thats weird, I replaced one a few months back at 190k but its possible the previous owner replaced some at one point. Thanks for the compliments, it's White Diamond Pearl. I learned that after I bought Taffeta white touch up paint and it didn't even come close to matching!
Old 12-22-2011, 10:32 AM
99Ackrite

Here's my update guys, a tech told me that I could possibly have a crack in the case of my trans, he's seen it happen before by the diff. So I sold the car a week ago. I'm not dealing with it and I'm unemployed. I bought a 97 civic 4dr. Hope everyone has a great Christmas.