windshield crack

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 09:47 AM
e92TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
windshield crack

yea, thought it would never happen to me but it did, and I have no clue how it did...Took my car out of my garage after 3 days of no use, and there is foot long crack right on the driver side of windshield
Met my friend yesterday and he got same length crack on his TL too and he has no idea how'd that happen... lol
Anyways, when changing windshield, is OEM windshield from Acura necessary?? if not I will just go to ghetto place in Queens called Corona and get anything. Anyone?
Old 03-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Do a search please, lots of info on aftermarket vice OEM windshield. Whatever you do (or your insurance company allows), be sure the replacement glass has the acoustic layer in it...

I went with OEM because my insurance (USAA) allowed it. ($750 OEM vs. $350 aftermarket).
Old 03-04-2011, 10:06 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^+1 on the acoustic glass
Old 03-04-2011, 10:46 PM
e92TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea i remember reading something like that somewhere in other website, didnt remember. Thanks Alot gotta call bunch of places now-.-
Old 03-04-2011, 11:50 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Whdrms
yea, thought it would never happen to me but it did, and I have no clue how it did...Took my car out of my garage after 3 days of no use, and there is foot long crack right on the driver side of windshield
Met my friend yesterday and he got same length crack on his TL too and he has no idea how'd that happen... lol
Anyways, when changing windshield, is OEM windshield from Acura necessary?? if not I will just go to ghetto place in Queens called Corona and get anything. Anyone?
no it is not mandatory, there are a couple of aftermarket brands that will preform just as well as OEM glass (mainly OEM sourced through aftermarket sources, without the honda badge on it), BUT there is also alot of shit glass out there though, that will actually crack easier

so OEM is your best bet; especially if you do not know what you are looking for exactly

and even you say the place is ghetto, would you trust them to put in a structural piece of your car properly? (and yes the windshield acts as a structual member)

there is more then just popping out the old glass, laying down the urethane, and laying the new glass in place (there is bound to be scratches on the edge that the glass mounts to, from the cutting tool, it's just part of the process, and is hidden anyways by the trim; but anyways you need to make sure that gets painted/treated properly, otherwise rust will just start there, and rust out the frame)
(another thing is making sure to wear gloves putting the new glass in place because any oil residue from your hands and such, will not allow the glass to adhere properly, and could potentially cause the glass to pop out at a later date; which also means the surfaces for the adhesives need to be cleaned also)

if you have not notice, we go through a couple of windshields here in Colorado (every couple of years on some vehicles), and being in the automotive field, i see alot more of the better installs of glass (i don't personally install it though)