Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 TL STOLEN after only six weeks of ownership

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 TL STOLEN after only six weeks of ownership

It was Friday morning April 9 between 10 am and noon on Genesee street (in the hood) in Rochester New York. The car was parked within sight of my office. At noon, I come out to go to lunch and confusion sets in - where the heck did I park my car? Confusion soon turns to horror as I realized the car wasn't there. It was simply gone. This was a sad, sad day for me as I just got the car six weeks earlier. It was my dream car.

Cops tell me when taking the report that 95% of the time it's kids just joy riding, or they might sell the car for 50 bucks worth of crack. I wind up cruising the 'hood that night in the old Accord (which luckily I didn't sell yet) and the next morning with 40 caliber Smith and Wesson semi-auto in the seat next to me hoping I run into the little thief's. I'm pissed.

The weekend comes and goes and my shock turns into a deep depression by Saturday night and I require Valium just to calm me down enough just to go to sleep.

Tuesday I get a call from the Police stating that my car is in the police impound and has been since Saturday night (gee, thanks for letting me know). You have never seen anyone more happy than when I got to the impound to retrieve my vehicle to discover that, other than a few scrapes, everything was basically intact.

The Rochester City Police Department pulled over the car on Hudson Avenue (in the northeast hood of Rochester) and made an arrest for felony grand theft auto at 9 pm Saturday night. Other than the car being totally trashed on the inside (lotsa ashes, empty crack baggies, 40 ouncers, and a couple rap CD's in my CD player), the interior was for the most part unharmed. The few minor scrapes and bruises amount to my front and rear bumpers having to be repainted, two rims scraped up really bad and a couple other minor issues. I'm also going to have the car professionally rubbed out. I want it to be like new.

So now you're all wondering - how does someone steal a TL considering it has a theft deterrent system? Well, the previous owner left me a packet of information in the glove box which apparently included the valet key. Easy pickens. Incredibly stupid on my part. But I learned my lesson!

So, for some questions -

First, the insurance company will pay for two refurbished rims. But I'm wondering that since I need new tires soon if I should get a set of 4 new rims and tires mounted from tirerack. The other option is to go ahead and get the 2 new refurbed rims. I was out in my driveway today grinding and sanding the bad rims and it looks like I could potentially touch them up a bit to hide the worst of the scrapes. Has anyone had any success doing this? Anyone have any words of wisdom to help me through this decision? Anyone have any suggestions on rims and tire combos? Like should I go with 18's or stay with 17's? Will 18's work on a stock TL auto trans?

As for the rest of the car, I guess I'm going ahead with repainting front and rear fenders and rubbing, retouching, etc. the rest of the car - unless anyone has any better ideas. Current body work is stock. I would love a body kit and rear deck spoiler, but those options may be prohibitively expensive.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
That sucks, I'm glad you got your car back though.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Intermediate

Old 04-17-2010, 08:39 PM
Future TL Owner

Good to hear your car got recovered with no serious damage. Did the thieves pick the lock to get in?
Old 04-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
Consider yourself fortunate to get back your car in one piece. As for rims, yes 18" will hold up on a stock auto trans. There are lots of ppl here rolling around on 20's but I'm not a fan of huge rims so I have some aftermarket 18" wheels.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Intermediate

I was afraid someone was going to ask that question. It's theoretically possible that the car was left unlocked. Or they could have used a slim jim. But if that was the case, I believe the theft deterrent system would have activated. If the car was left unlocked, this would have been a grave oversight on my part. But still, being within view of my office, the thought never crossed my mind that it would be jacked in broad daylight on a very busy main thoroughfare.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Racer

would that have an impact on the title?
Old 04-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Future TL Owner

Yeah, if they used a slim jim, the factory alarm should of went off as soon as the door was unlocked or the door opened. Even then, someone would have at least seen them trying to jimmy into your car if it was during the day near a busy street. Must of been some professional car thieves. But like I said before, at least you got your car back safe.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:18 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
damnnnnn

hey atleast it wasnt stolen
Old 04-17-2010, 11:04 PM
Instructor

i HATE people who steal. Anything.

Really, these people need to be shot and have their hands cut off.

I feel your pain man. I might end up in jail for torture and murder if I catch any of these fucks in the act.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:32 PM
私を知らない

glad you got your car back.. im still pondering on how they got in .. lol
Old 04-18-2010, 01:23 AM
Advanced

Wow, I'm in the Rochester area also...
Note to self: Never park in Genesee Street. Thanks for letting us know. Great that you have your car in 1 piece.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:30 AM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dunno why but I thought previous owner had a key while I read along.
Sometimes I think about that as I brought mine from a private seller.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
hmmm based on what i read i would think u left your car unlocked or something because if they were professionals i wouldnt think they would like joy ride your car but maybe more like sell it? but dumbasses joyriding around and playing rap and leaving bottles just makes me think like kids finding a car door open with no driver and they just hopped on in. but things can go either way but at least they got caught and u got the car back intact so justice is served at least
Old 04-18-2010, 01:53 AM
Advanced

Another thing, when you bought the car, did you get 2 keys and the valet? Possible that previous owner has the spare key or something.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:25 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Good to see you got your car back.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:40 AM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I would sell it.

Its like having a girlfriend get lost and some dudes running a train on her and you get a call saying that they found her.

She will never be the same GL
Old 04-18-2010, 10:28 AM
TL = True Love

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RonJonTL757
I would sell it.

Its like having a girlfriend get lost and some dudes running a train on her and you get a call saying that they found her.

ahahahahah good analigy. but it depends on the damage. if its an auto i would keep it....on the other hand if its a manual like mines i would have def sold it cause you dont know what kind of stupid shit they would have done to the transmission, etc.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good to see it back. Time to clean it!
Old 04-18-2010, 04:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 165 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueTypeSGuy
Wow, I'm in the Rochester area also...
Note to self: Never park in Genesee Street. Thanks for letting us know. Great that you have your car in 1 piece.

note to self: never go to rochester
Old 04-18-2010, 06:27 PM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by samplemonster
i HATE people who steal. Anything.

Really, these people need to be shot and have their hands cut off.

I feel your pain man. I might end up in jail for torture and murder if I catch any of these fucks in the act.
I totally agree. Except when I say that out loud, people think I'm a mean person. But I guess you're not a mean person if you take other people's things.

But seriously, was it hot wired?
Old 04-18-2010, 07:13 PM
05 TL 6mt

Originally Posted by ronjontl757
i would sell it.

She will never be the same gl
funny shit!
Old 04-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 373 Likes on 206 Posts
Originally Posted by flyromeo3
note to self: never go to rochester
LOL. I second that notion.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Burning Brakes

damn sorry to hear that but yeah good thing u got it back in 1 piece... that reminds me... i should take the valet key out of my car too...
Old 04-19-2010, 07:09 AM
Veni, vidi, vici

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dayum, Good to hear you got your car back. But IMO, the fact you to a gun with you to look for who ever stole your car is INCREDIBlY STUPID. you know, what if you DID find the guys, where you planning on shotting them? Dude, at the end of the day, a car is replaceable, but killing some one is not. you should really think before you take your gun anywhere.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Intermediate

No, I wouldn't have shot them. It was only for protection in case they started shooting at me. I probably would have just called the cops if I found the car anyway. Or if it was parked, I would have just jumped in and drove away since I still had both keys - and left the old rusty accord there. They can have it!
Old 04-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by RonJonTL757
I would sell it.

why that would buff right out, and the worst case scenario, respray
Old 04-19-2010, 04:44 PM
2007 TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DeathMetal
LOL. I second that notion.
note to self never go anywhere near New York.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:37 PM
Cruisin'

You'd be surprised how many punks out there (especially with nicer weather upon us and summer vacation just around the corner) with too much time on their hands will walk along a row of parked cars and pull on each and every door handle until they find one unlocked....

Regardless, I ALWAYS make sure I have positive confirmation that my car is locked.

If your car was locked, the only other way I can think of that a "talented" thief can quickly gain access is to have one of those "code grabbing devices" that reads your keyfob remote signal when locking???
Old 04-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Got your mom in

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ronjontl757
i would sell it.

She will never be the same gl
lmmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Glad u got it back, I'm in Syr. but go to Roc. frequently and will stick to the burbs.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TheDanger
note to self never go anywhere near New York.

not all of ny is like that
Old 04-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Keepitclean
You'd be surprised how many punks out there (especially with nicer weather upon us and summer vacation just around the corner) with too much time on their hands will walk along a row of parked cars and pull on each and every door handle until they find one unlocked....

Regardless, I ALWAYS make sure I have positive confirmation that my car is locked.

If your car was locked, the only other way I can think of that a "talented" thief can quickly gain access is to have one of those "code grabbing devices" that reads your keyfob remote signal when locking???

most hood kids know nothing more than just going on myspace or facebook.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

im afraid movies and media have given NY a bad name unfortunately and this incident just adds to it
Old 04-19-2010, 09:25 PM
9th Gear

People that steal don't understand that we actually had to work hard for what we have.. either way fasho that your car is back in your possesion! i would've done the exact same thing you did if i found out my car wasn't where i parked it.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:37 PM
2007 TL

I know....parts of florida are just as bad.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Intermediate

FYI - Rochester is a seven hour drive to NYC. This is western NY. We're 1.5 hours east of Niagara Falls. We have a small ghetto, but just about every city does these days.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Intermediate

Ironically, I left my car unlocked last night. It freaked me out this morning when I went outside and saw my doors unlocked. Luckily, nothing was taken from my car. Glad you got your car back. Lock those doors and don't store any keys in, on or around the car or house.

Also, generally speaking, a lot of big cities have less crime per capita than smaller towns.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:07 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool

I was just wondering:

Is it not true that a valet key will only open the trunk? A valet key cannot start the car - it will crank and crank but never actually start since the valet key lacks the electronics.

Was any other part of the car damaged? Meaning was it hot wired (would require some skill)?

My point is that from what you have said, the car must have been left unlocked with the second full drivers key (containing electronics to start the car) in the glove box - not just the valet key. Does this sound likely?

I'm pressing this point because I'd like to know if our TL's are that easy to steal.

TL-Rocket
'04 TL 6MT
Old 04-20-2010, 11:37 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by TL-Rocket
I was just wondering:

Is it not true that a valet key will only open the trunk? A valet key cannot start the car - it will crank and crank but never actually start since the valet key lacks the electronics.
No, the valet key will open the car door and start the car, but is intended to secure items in the car trunk and glove box from people given the valet key.
The valet key thus will not operate the glove box lock or the trunk pass-through door. There is a switch in the glove box which turns off the trunk switch, so if the glove box and pass-through door are locked, a person with the valet key can drive the car, but not access the glove box or trunk using the key or switches.

Quick Reply: '04 TL STOLEN after only six weeks of ownership