What do you think about Drive-in Car Washes?

Old 06-23-2001, 12:00 PM
Ex TL-S owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't take my car to a car wash. I donno about our rims, but the CLS owners can't go to car washes because of their rims. They will rub on the metal railings that move the car forward.

Also what color is your car? If blk or any dark color, I wouldn't even think about it!
They will swirl your car up!

------------------
2002 TL TYPE S
SATIN SILVER/EBONY w/NAVI

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1212504&a=8950241&p=50260985&Sequence=0&res =high
[/img]

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by CarFreak on June 23, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-23-2001, 12:00 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Do you bough or leased? If you leased...do anything you want with it....car wash, auto wash...

But if you bought the car, I would recommend you try to wash the car yourself with proper equipments. Or another alternative(expensive IMO) is have a cae detailer detail the whole car once a month...

Most apartments in my area have dedicated area for car washing/waxing...

Andy Kuo

------------------
'92 Mercedes-Benz 400SE
Pearl Grey/Black

'02 Acura TL-S
Satin Silver/Ebony, w/out NAV
Old 06-23-2001, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
First of all, welcome to the club! It's a shame that you currently have full access to a hose in your residence. 'Cause you know, that's where you can prioritize all the things you need to keep your car clean...

As for drive-in joints, I have heard that the machinery they use can be suspect. Those 'power wash' places, especially can be disastrous to your paint. Sure, they send high pressure water through the spray but any particulates in the water/system is kinda like shooting tiny bullets towards your car!

And don't get me started about the horrible soap they use at those places. Talk about abrasive! If you can, bring your own stuff-- there are plenty of threads in this forum that can help you decide on what products are recommended. I live in Canada and do not have ready access to half of these products-- trips south of the border aren't routine.

Bottomline: call me crazy but I would probably go to a friend's place with a hose and wash my car on their driveway. Make sure they love their car as much as you love yours! (Otherwise they'll think you're a freak...)

So best of luck to you. I'm sure we'd like to hear what your verdict is.

------------------
2002 TL eternal blue Type-S. Factory spoiler, wheel locks, no navi, no mods yet...
Old 06-23-2001, 01:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm on the same boat here, can't wash my car at my apartment parking lot. When my TL-S comes in, there is no way I'm going to take it to any of the car washes. The 300ZX I had never went through one and looked better 6 years old then new (took alot of time to wash & wax though!). To me car washes are only good for the yellow cabs and those Town cars we always see. Ask your friends if you can use their place, offer a little money for the trouble (water use?). If quality and care is what you want, for me there is no substitute for doing it yourself (there is a right way & wrong way in washing cars to though). It's all up to how much you care about your car. Good luck.

Question for CarFreak(totally off topic. excuse me), if you bought your TL-S from Rallye, were you there on 6-7-01 test driving a white w/ parch demo. I drove it after and talked to someone at the lot looking at diff colors. I asked what color and the guy was buying a silver one. Just wild guessing, don't mind me.
Old 06-23-2001, 01:10 PM
Ex TL-S owner

Originally posted by TUFF GONG:
I'm on the same boat here, can't wash my car at my apartment parking lot. When my TL-S comes in, there is no way I'm going to take it to any of the car washes. The 300ZX I had never went through one and looked better 6 years old then new (took alot of time to wash & wax though!). To me car washes are only good for the yellow cabs and those Town cars we always see. Ask your friends if you can use their place, offer a little money for the trouble (water use?). If quality and care is what you want, for me there is no substitute for doing it yourself (there is a right way & wrong way in washing cars to though). It's all up to how much you care about your car. Good luck.

Question for CarFreak(totally off topic. excuse me), if you bought your TL-S from Rallye, were you there on 6-7-01 test driving a white w/ parch demo. I drove it after and talked to someone at the lot looking at diff colors. I asked what color and the guy was buying a silver one. Just wild guessing, don't mind me.
HAHAHHA........YUP! That was me! Were you the one that came in the CLK430?

------------------
2002 TL TYPE S

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1212504&a=8950241&p=50260985&Sequence=0&res =high
[/img]
Old 06-23-2001, 01:18 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

I only do hand car wash
Old 06-23-2001, 01:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb

I'd do it only in the winter.

------------------
2002 Satin Silver TL-S Nav
Old 06-23-2001, 01:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stay away order please just stay away from them. I am not sure what color car you have but I would stay away anyway. If it is a carwash that you can wash it with a hose sprayer yourself then thats fine. I would not go to the ones with brushes or strips that wash.

------------------
2000 3.2TL Nighthawk Black/Ebony/Navigation/ Optional Factory Chrome Multi Spoke 16" Wheels/Factory Underbody Kit/Factory Spoiler/Moonroof Visor/Factory 6-CD Changer/Trunk Mat/Factory Black Wheel Well Trim/Clifford IG8000 Alarm System w/add-ons/51% Tint/Weathertech Floormats /Michelin Arcctic Alpin Winter Tires on Stock Wheels/Factory Car Cover/Factory Gold Emblems Grille & Exhaust Tips
Old 06-23-2001, 02:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

To CarFreak, yup I was the one that came in the CLK. That's some funny sh*t, it's a small world. I'm getting the same exact car as you but i got a better deal at Acura of Brooklyn and still waiting for the car to come in. Still ain't the great deals they get out in the west coast but 4% over invoice ain't that bad for NY metro area. I'll see you around. Once again good luck with your beauty!
Old 06-23-2001, 02:09 PM
Ex TL-S owner

To CarFreak, yup I was the one that came in the CLK. That's some funny sh*t, it's a small world. I'm getting the same exact car as you but i got a better deal at Acura of Brooklyn and still waiting for the car to come in. Still ain't the great deals they get out in the west coast but 4% over invoice ain't that bad for NY metro area. I'll see you around. Once again good luck with your beauty!
That's so weird! Yah, I was lucky enough to get my car w/in 24hrs. A shipment came in that day and I got the last silver TLS w/NAVI. I'm just curious, how much did you get your TLS for?

------------------
2002 TL TYPE S

[/img]
Old 06-23-2001, 02:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by CarFreak:
That's so weird! Yah, I was lucky enough to get my car w/in 24hrs. A shipment came in that day and I got the last silver TLS w/NAVI. I'm just curious, how much did you get your TLS for?

Just under 4% over invoice which is $31631 w/Dest. Silver/Ebony with Nav, just like yours!
Old 06-23-2001, 02:17 PM
Ex TL-S owner

Just under 4% over invoice which is $31631 w/Dest. Silver/Ebony with Nav, just like yours!
AHHH! I got mine for $32,400 Oh well! Can't do anything about it now. I guess I paid $770 more, but I got it the next day.

Sorry guys about going a lil off the topic. hehe... Don't go to car washes

------------------
2002 TL TYPE S

[/img]

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by CarFreak on June 23, 2001 @ ]</font>

Old 06-23-2001, 02:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by CarFreak:
AHHH! I got mine for $32,400 Oh well! Can't do anything about it now. I guess I paid $770 more, but I got it the next day.

Exactly, your enjoying your ride already and I'll probably have to wait till next month for it! It don't matter how much we paid just as long as we love our cars and have no regret's with it! Anyway I got to chalo chalo, I'll talk to ya later. We might be upsetting some people, after all this post is about carwashes!
Old 06-23-2001, 05:48 PM
Pro

Cool

PLEASE find a do-it-yourself car wash place! People have been tried for war crimes that did less than bring a car to a "Car mangle" (brush- or brushless)! Don't let bad things happen to good cars!!!

And much good luck to you both!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Darla on June 23, 2001 @ ]</font>

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Darla on June 23, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-23-2001, 11:47 PM
Intermediate

Post What do you think about Drive-in Car Washes?

I just bought a TL-S and honestly after reading 20 pages about different car waxes, mitts, shampoos, etc, I am overwhelmed.. I have to decide what to go with and since I live in an apartment building (no garage), I dont have running water to clean the car at a convenient place.. So my question is, what do you think about drive-in car wash places.. I used to go there with my old car, but since it was an old car anyway, I couldn't tell if it damaged the paint/wax etc.. is there a downside of having my car washed there? I will move to a place with my private garage soon, but I am looking for a temporary solution until then.. Thanks for opinons

Old 06-24-2001, 10:05 AM

Smile

Recommendation - Go to your Acura dealer and do a oil change, then also if you know your sales person well enough ask him to throw in a quick car wash. You know they'll take care of it and also use special waxing agent that will last for 3 months.
Old 06-24-2001, 10:23 AM
Instructor

I use car washes here in D.C., there are a few in Northern Virginia that caters to the rich and famous. This particular car wash have what I call fluffy cloth. Many of the Washington Redskins players bring there exotics here to be washed. If it's good enough for Porsche, NSX's and Rolls it's good enough for me. No complaints or Regrets. If you going to take to one take it to a reputable one.

------------------
Old 06-24-2001, 10:28 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by vernkjc625:
Recommendation - Go to your Acura dealer and do a oil change, then also if you know your sales person well enough ask him to throw in a quick car wash. You know they'll take care of it and also use special waxing agent that will last for 3 months.
Is it just me, or does every time I let the dealer do a car wash my car comes back full of streaky cloth marks and water spots?