Mystery AutoLock

Old 12-18-2001, 10:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mystery AutoLock

I dont' think I am imagining this.

Sometimes when I arrive where I am going, park, and try to get out of the car, I find the doors locked. I am 100% sure that I did not lock them manually.

I think that TL does not have any kind of Auto-Lock feature. So who is locking the doors for me?
Old 12-18-2001, 11:53 AM
Burning Brakes

if u unlock door...after awhile....if u don't lock,set alarm, or ur keys are not in the ignition.....it will autolock ur doors..
I noticed that..

once I got out of car...
forgot to lock the door.....when i went bakc..it was autolocked

city
Old 12-18-2001, 12:53 PM
Banned

Cool, didnt know that....
Old 12-18-2001, 12:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

I believe it will automatically lock the door 30 seconds after you exit the vehicle if you don't set the alarm yourself. It's in the manual somewhere.....
Old 12-18-2001, 01:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

I know for a fact that the doors don't autolock... I have left my car accidentally unlocked in the garage on more than one occasion.

However, I have found that if you unlock the doors with the remote and then don't open a door within about 30 seconds, the doors will relock and the alarm will rearm itself.
Old 12-18-2001, 01:17 PM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It appears he's saying that when he drives somewhere and park, and try to get out of the car, he notices that the doors are lock and that he didn't manually lock it.

not when you unlock it and leave it like that.

he meant after he drove and tried to get out of the car.

Maybe your friend locked it. hehe.
Old 12-18-2001, 02:24 PM
Acura TL-S

Re: Mystery AutoLock

Originally posted by Ruski
I dont' think I am imagining this.

Sometimes when I arrive where I am going, park, and try to get out of the car, I find the doors locked. I am 100% sure that I did not lock them manually.

I think that TL does not have any kind of Auto-Lock feature. So who is locking the doors for me?
happened to me a couple of times when i first got it, and i couldnt figure it out... it was me putting my arm on the side of the door... ur elbow hits the lock and pushes it down... thats what did it for me
Old 12-18-2001, 02:34 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't see it autolock before when you are driving somewhere..

I'm sure you are the one locking it.. It's like putting on your seatbelt.. I betcha can't remember doing it when you get in the car.. it's just a habit..

Sometimes my wife locks and unlocks the car when we're going somewhere.. but other times, I just throw my hand over the lock really quick when I'm shifting..

If you really want to test it out.. just leave it unlocked when you drive somewhere.. if the truely is an "auto-locking" mechanism, it should do it everytime..
Old 12-18-2001, 10:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

The thing is that I don't have a habit of locking my car when I am driving. Actually I have a habit of NOT locking. That's because for the last 6 years I have been driving cars that automatically lock themselves when engine is started (Buick Riviera), or tranny is shifted to Drive (Pontiac Grand Prix GTP), or car exceeds 15 MPH (Chrysler 300M)

I also thought that this could be my elbow resting on the window sill. I will have to watch it.
Old 12-18-2001, 11:52 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Ruski
I also thought that this could be my elbow resting on the window sill. I will have to watch it.
This has happened to me several times. It's real quiet when it happens too, and it locks all four doors. Most of the time it's when you're at a drive-up (restaurant or ATM machine). It's a natural place for your elbow to go and it takes almost no effort to press down. I don't realize I've done it (or I just plain forget) and when I shut the car off and go to get out the door is locked. This has got to be what's happening to you.
Old 12-19-2001, 09:37 AM
Instructor

Let me clear this up for everyone. If your car is locked and you use the remote to unlock, but then NO DOORS get opened the car will re-lock the car. Go ahead and try it, you will see what I mean.

I wish the damn thing would autolock after you exit.
Old 12-19-2001, 05:29 PM
10th Gear

Auyo Lock

My car has locked itself in my garage. I believe that it will lock itself if you use the interior lock button(electric) at some point. I can not figure out how else it occurs. My dealer is under the impression that it will auto lock EVERY TIME!
Old 12-19-2001, 06:03 PM
Banned

Maybe this will clear it up. This is something Wayne from PAA posted in another thread a while back:

"The beep on the second push of the button is actually to inform you that you have activated the "auto arm" function. Normally, the doors won't lock or the alarm won't arm unless you push the button or lock the doors. If you push the button twice, you will hear a beep and the auto arm mode will be active. When in this mode, the doors will lock and the alarm will arm about 20 -40 seconds after you close the last door. This won't happen if the car is running or someone is sitting in the drivers seat- so don't worry about locking your keys in the car. To de-activate this mode- just unlock the doors with the key and you will return to normal operation. While in auto-arm mode, you can still use the remote to lock and unlock as usual. This is explained in the owners manual."

So the car can auto lock for you.
Old 12-19-2001, 07:02 PM
Instructor

I have to put that to the test tonight. I'm always pushing it twice to get the "beep" just so that I know it's locked. It might help if I read the owners manual. This is the first new vehicle I have bought and haven't read the manual immediately afterwards. So much to do, so little time to do it.
Old 12-19-2001, 07:04 PM
On the way!

Well I was curious about pianoman41's post so I went out, read that section of the manual, and played around with the car (it doesn't take much of an excuse for me to go play around with that car...).

It turns out that the beep is simply for those of us who are obsessive / compulsive enough to need extra reassurance that the car is locked. It does not activate any sort of auto-lock mode or anything like that.

The ONLY autolock feature (both as tested and as read in the manual) is that if you unlock the doors (one or all) with the transmitter and do not open a door within 30 seconds, the car will re-lock itself automatically.

I also found out that if you have the hood open, the alarm cannot arm (no beeps - no lights). However, if you have the trunk open the alarm can activate (lights blink/beeps too). That doesn't make much sense to me...
Old 12-19-2001, 10:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

c'mon guys, I was not asking about the 30-second autolock if you don't open the door within 30 seconds.

MY thing is this - I unlock with remote, open the door, get in the car, drive somewhere, arrive where I am going, try to get out of the car - it's locked.

I am suspecting that it is my elbow. Sometimes I drive with my elbow on window sill and my fist under my left cheek. But still my elbow is not as far aft as to reach the locking tab. I also tried to intentionally press the locking tab with my elbow and it really feels like you are pressing something, there is no way I can miss that, unless I am in the road rage situation.
Old 12-19-2001, 10:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Despite the fact that I know the car doesn't have autolock, I tried not locking the doors on the way home from work this evening and when I got home the doors were still unlocked.

Either you're hitting the tab without knowing it or an invisible passenger is playing tricks on you.