Im losing faith in Acura, LEMON!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 06:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im losing faith in Acura, LEMON!!!!

I purchased my acura on a lease back in june. I have been really pleased with it up until about 2 1/2 months ago. The car developed a wabble like wheels out of balance in the steering wheel. I pay no attention to this. I then get the tires rotated. This triggered it all.

I have that out of balance feel in the tires all the time. I have had discount tire balance 14 times in 2 1/2 weeks. I have had Mc Churchill Acura in Dallas Ft. Worth check to. They found nothing wrong with it and thier asst. service manager also lied to me about taking a test ride with me when I picked it up. I live 350 miles from them the nearest acura dealer. I then have it looked at up in Lubbock where they have the car for 3 days and still cant find what is causing it. The guys at discount tire cant understand this. I have had new tires put on too which were just like the factory ones. And I dont even have to drive 75 miles and they are out of balance again.

I explain this to acura and they will not help me except take it to the acura dealer, and I dont have the time to drive 6 hrs each way. So, I am in process of filing lemon law or in hopes they will buy this car back. Does anyone have any light they can shed on this as far as what I can do. I want acura to either pay for the transfer of my stereo in this car to another or give me my money back and I will go buy a car that I can use and not have this kind of trouble.

Again, this was a great car, just a bad circumstance. Anyone have some help they can give to me to help me end this. I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:52 PM
Instructor

Lemon law won't cover tires, thats considered a consumable type item. If the car runs fine after they have been balanced, then the issue is your tires, not the car. There is nothing on the car that will cause the tires to go out of balance.

About the only thing that can cause it is the tires slipping on your rims. Take some chalk and mark your tires under the air stem. Drive around for a week or so and see if the mark has moved. Maybe somehow they shop got grease in there and they are slipping.

Good luck.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:55 PM
Mr. Self Destruct

The wobble or vibration happens all the time?? If it's during breaking, then check the rotors for warped rotors, if it's at high speeds then check the alignment.

My only advice is to go to Acura. I don't think Lemon Laws will help you unless you've taken it to the dealership and they correct the problem, then it breaks again, then you have them fix and then it breaks a 3rd time. Some states I think are even up to 5 attempts to repair before it can be "LEMONED".

Good luck and be sure to get everything in writing. Especially from the repair facilities and the dealership. You'll need these if you ever have to go to court.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure the car can be labeled a lemon, just because your service people are inept.
Find someone else to fix the car. Make sure they understand what you think (and this is key, as you may not know what you're talking about) the problem is.
Do you have a Honda dealer nearby?
Old 12-16-2002, 11:04 PM
Intermediate

I have had a alignment done, I have had the tires changed out, and that didnt do it either. I also have had it at the honda dealer and it has also been to the acura dealer and they both are confused with what is going on. So, I am done trying to do this with the car. what do you think alternate solutions should be.
Old 12-17-2002, 12:21 AM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
There's a company that makes wheel alignment machines called Hunter. All wheel balancers are not equal. Check out info on their GPS9700 Vibration Control System. (The GSP9700 Vibration Control System extends far beyond the traditional functions of a wheel balancer. It not only solves wheel balance problems, but also "road tests" the tire/wheel assembly to eliminate virtually every variable causing vibration in relation to the tire and rim.)
http://www.hunter.com/
Their web site can help you locate someone in your area that has one. My brother had some balancing problems and took his car to a shop that had one of these. They determined that they needed to break the bead and spin the tire on the rim and rebalanced. He said that his problems went away.
I also learned that people like Discount and Costco set their machines up for a different accuracy level. Some of the better shops set up their machines to balance within 1/10 of an ouncewhereas some set up for 1/2 ounce. These machines are also intelligent enough to "Hide" the weights behind the spokes of the wheel. If you tell the machine where your spokes are, it places the weights so they are not visable. Spend a lot of money on your wheels and you don't what the weights taking away from the look.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Then give the car back. And go out and buy the perfect car. Good luck finding one, BTW.

I understand your frustration, but simply giving up isn't going to solve the problem. Vibration isn't one of those things that's impossible to fix. It can only be so many things. I'm still not clear on what EXACTLY your symptoms are. You say this-
The car developed a wabble like wheels out of balance in the steering wheel. I pay no attention to this. I then get the tires rotated. This triggered it all.
I have a problem, but I disregard it. That doesn't make any sense. When does the wabble occur? At speed only, is it proportionate to speed? Only when braking? More when the wheel is turned in one direction than the other? Are the symptoms different now than when they started? Does the vibration location feel different after tire rotation?

The details are critical to solving a problem efficiently. The "yeah, yeah, I did that, and I hate the car" attitude doesn't help them get to the root of the problem. It almost sounds like you have buyer's remorse, to me. Just my observation, based on your post, though. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

Todd
Old 12-17-2002, 08:52 AM
Instructor

Re: Im losing faith in Acura, LEMON!!!!

I especially like this part...

Originally posted by Black 2003 Styp

I explain this to acura and they will not help me except take it to the acura dealer, and I dont have the time to drive 6 hrs each way.
How else would you expect them to help you UNLESS you went to a dealer?

It's not their fault you live 6 hours away. That's something i hope people think about (at least i do) before buying a car.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:08 AM
Instructor

Do You have a Friend In the Area with same car ?--Swap Front Tires See if it changes - if it doesnt - you know its not the tires- Possible - axle shaft . Busted Mounts. loose tie rods etc....