Sponsored by:

'Check Fuel Cap' instead of "low fuel" warning

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Check Fuel Cap' instead of "low fuel" warning

I have 1500 miles on my 4 week old 2005 6MT/NAV/DM/Parchment/A-spec

I've filled up three times now. I was at 34 miles left and received a "Check Fuel Cap" in the MID. I've never had this before and I'm aware of the need to 'click' the fuel cap at least three times.

I think I should have recieved the "Low Fuel Level" Warning, which I've actually never seen before. The last two tanks I didn't run down this far.

I've checked the Garage and searched the forum but have no mention of this.

Anyone else have this same thing? I filled it up right away (13.356 gallons on 298 trip odometer). I clicked the cap when I closed it.

When I restarted the car the error message still appeared and I can't seem to reset it with the MID 'reset' button. I presume it will reset on its own. I have a message envelope on every other screen on the MID.

This all went on today during a heavy rain (shouldn't really matter).

Any thoughts or help is appreciated.

The car is otherwise rattle free, handles great with the A-spec package and does all my bidding with every voice command. I only touch the steering wheel controls and almost never touch anything on the dash. (Wish I could display the Trip computer with a voice command).

Thanks
Old 01-13-2005, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Received 1,001 Likes on 572 Posts
Is this new for 2005? I have never heard of it for 2004 models, and there is nothing in the owner's manual about it, or the low fuel level warning either. Does your 2005 manual show these warnings?
Old 01-14-2005, 02:26 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MyJohnson
I have 1500 miles on my 4 week old 2005 6MT/NAV/DM/Parchment/A-spec

I've filled up three times now. I was at 34 miles left and received a "Check Fuel Cap" in the MID. I've never had this before and I'm aware of the need to 'click' the fuel cap at least three times.

I think I should have recieved the "Low Fuel Level" Warning, which I've actually never seen before. The last two tanks I didn't run down this far.

I've checked the Garage and searched the forum but have no mention of this.

Anyone else have this same thing? I filled it up right away (13.356 gallons on 298 trip odometer). I clicked the cap when I closed it.

When I restarted the car the error message still appeared and I can't seem to reset it with the MID 'reset' button. I presume it will reset on its own. I have a message envelope on every other screen on the MID.

This all went on today during a heavy rain (shouldn't really matter).

Any thoughts or help is appreciated.

The car is otherwise rattle free, handles great with the A-spec package and does all my bidding with every voice command. I only touch the steering wheel controls and almost never touch anything on the dash. (Wish I could display the Trip computer with a voice command).

Thanks

Sounds a smog emissions related check engine light. Try removing and retightening the gas cap. If the problem still occurs then take it back to the dealer
Old 01-14-2005, 08:20 AM
Racer

The "Check Fuel Cap" is in the manual and mentions several things:

1. Click it 3 times when closing
2. May take 3 days of driving to reset!
3. If not due to a lose cap may change from "Check Fuel Cap" to the engine malfunction or check engine symbol. If it does this, the manual says, then 'there may be another problem' or something like that. Duh!
4. Interesting that the manual also mentions don't use gas with MMT (Manganese) added. I have no idea if the Chevron I use or the Military Gas station on Post uses MMT.

The 'low fuel' warning I read in a post in the garage by RETS. I've never seen it, even though I just went down to near empty and a Range left of 34 miles.

I still have the "Check Fuel Cap" in the MID when I start up but its only the next day. I'll wait a few days and see how it goes.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
I would say, more than 3, just to be safe
Old 01-14-2005, 08:38 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Low Fuel Warning is just an indicator light...

I have been confused by this MID info for days... It could be new thing by 05 setup... checking with dealers yet?
Old 01-14-2005, 08:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by rets
I have been confused by this MID info for days... It could be new thing by 05 setup... checking with dealers yet?

04 will show "Check Gas Cap" if its not affixed properly as well...

it may take a couple days for it to level out, best thing to do is open the cap again, close, and click it 4-5 times. It if doesn't clear than, you can always remove your neg battery terminal for a minute and connect it back, that may clear it. If you want to really go extreme, reset your ECU.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Racer

I would think the battery terminal unplug would lose settings and require a re-enter of Nav, Radio codes, presets?

I don't know how to reset the ECU? Not even sure what it is? Environmental Control Unit? Emissions Control Unit?
Old 01-14-2005, 11:31 AM
Intermediate

At only 1500 miles which is way too new to be playing around with the ECU or anything for that matter on your own. TAKE IT BACK TO THE DEALER! and have them look at it, that's what warranty is for. For all you know it may be just as simple as a defected gas cap!!!
But you wouldn't know until you take it back to them.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:34 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cTLgo
04 will show "Check Gas Cap" if its not affixed properly as well...
Thanks.

Old 01-14-2005, 12:57 PM
Racer

I would think the battery terminal unplug would lose settings and require a re-enter of Nav, Radio codes, presets?

I don't know how to reset the ECU? Not even sure what it is? Environmental Control Unit? Emissions Control Unit?
Old 01-14-2005, 12:59 PM
Racer

Only minor problem is the dealership is 100 miles out of the way from home and 130 miles from work. I had planned on taking it my next vacation and dropping it off. May have to vacation sooner!
Old 01-14-2005, 01:26 PM
Intermediate

Holy 100+ miles from the dealer!!! Sorry to hear that but I thought there would be a lot more Acura dealers around Cleveland Ohio? Are you talking about taking it back to the dealer that you got the car? You can take it to any Acura dealers and get the car service. I live in PA and got my TL in Delaware which is about 70 miles away, but I get it service at the Acura dealer that is only about 10 miles away. Good Luck!!
Old 01-14-2005, 01:31 PM
professional TL driver

any honda dealers? although not the best answer they have all the tools to check it out... if its something simple (like a loose cap thats now tight) the can clear the display. just an option.... now ill probably get flamed for even recomending this!!!!
Old 01-14-2005, 02:35 PM
Burning Brakes

gas tanks are pressurized. if the cap is placed incorrectly, the gas tank pressure will be lower causing the error message.

close the cap properly and drive. after a few miles this message should disappear.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MyJohnson

Actually there is a back up power reserve that will keep these codes in place for a few mins, my HFL locked once, i disconnected the battery, reconnected it, no need to enter codes!

As for the ECU, its an extreme last resort... btw, its your car's computer, the one for engine functionality and such, monitors the various senors

Originally Posted by 3PUTT
gas tanks are pressurized. if the cap is placed incorrectly, the gas tank pressure will be lower causing the error message.

close the cap properly and drive. after a few miles this message should disappear.

Old 01-19-2005, 08:58 AM
Racer

Sorry, I've been out of town.

I've changed my profile to stop the confusion. I'm from Cleveland but I live in Alabama.

The "Check Fuel Cap" warning is no longer there this morning.

The only thing I did differently is I placed a smear of OIL! on the gasket of the Fuel Cap Last Friday and have left it alone since. I had the warning yesterday at the end of the day and by this morning at Start up it was Gone!

Hope it stays that way! I'll see what Happens at the end of this tank.

Thanks All
Old 01-19-2005, 09:51 AM
Senior Moderator

good to hear! The best repairs on the ones you can take care of yourself
Old 04-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Team Nighthawk MechE

"Check Fuel Cap" warning came on today

I found one other thread with a similar problem, but there wasn't alot of useful information within that thread.

Quick sitrep: Gas about 1/2 full or so... 4100 miles on my 05. YES, the cap is clicked 3+times... I typically use 94 octane although I did JUST put in about 2/3 tank of 89 cause that's all they had. The only other thing different today is that I used the AC the whole way home for the first time ever (finally warm in Pittsburgh.)

I called Acura and he said it would take 2 days to reset, so we'll see. The one other thread that is indeed what happened to the person who had the same problem. After a few days, he said it would need to come in.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? I am praying this is in to way related to a mouse at my car problem!

Thanks for any thoughts.