Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearshield Bra Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 11:00 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clearshield Bra Pictures

Considering getting this put on my car. Anyone get this done and have pictures? I have a black car so I prefer to see pictures of this film on black. Wondering how badly the line on the hood will show.

TIA
Old 07-28-2005, 11:21 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anubus12,

I have it on my NBP TL too. I'll take some pictures when I get a chance but I'm not sure how well it will show up on a photo. From what I was told by the installer, the clear bra shows up the most on pure white and black cars the most. I notice the line but you really have to be looking for it. I'm a nitpicker when it comes to my car so I figured the slight line is worth the protection since my two previous black cars had tons of chips on the nose after a few years.

The clear bra goes about halfway up my hood so I was recently thinking "why doesn't it just go on the entire hood so there wouldn't be a line to see?". I suppose it would add to the cost as I already paid $670 for the hood, entire nose, side mirrors, door trim, and trunk (top of bumper in case you drop or scrape something when loading items into the trunk).

One thing I have noticed since I've had it (about a month now) is that it becomes more noticeable when the car gets dirty so you'd have to keep your car clean - not a problem for me since I'm somewhat of a cleaning/detailing nut.

I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow if I get a chance.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:10 AM
Registered Lunatic

I don't have a picture, but when I was going over my TL purchase with the dealer, he took me out back to take a look at his own personal TSX. He had a 3M Clear Bra installed, and was trying to talk me out of the half-nose mask I had requested in favour of what he had installed on his own car.

I found the plastic edge fairly obvious on his car, and opted for the mask instead.

But that's just me.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:30 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DrPsycho
I don't have a picture, but when I was going over my TL purchase with the dealer, he took me out back to take a look at his own personal TSX. He had a 3M Clear Bra installed, and was trying to talk me out of the half-nose mask I had requested in favour of what he had installed on his own car.

I found the plastic edge fairly obvious on his car, and opted for the mask instead.

But that's just me.
How has the half nose mask protected your car. Any problems w/ scratching underneath? I'm kinda torn between clear bra protectant <<< I'm a detailing freak as well and am afraid lines will drive me nuts. I have a NBP TL and don't think a full bra would look too bad, just worried about the bra damaging car. I have never owned a bra for my cars, but after having tons of chips and bug marks on my last car I think it's time to change. The clear is tempting if it looks good though. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:55 AM
Instructor

I have had the 3M clear bra for a year now. Had no problems and the coverage across half the hood is really necessary since the majority of stone/debri chips will impact this area.The anthracite color hides the hood line well most of the time, it usually depends on how the light hits it. When shown - people do not even notice that the hood is covered at all. Take care not to have wax residue get on the edges, this will make the line more noticeable. Careful removal with a toothbrush will help. Also wash the hood going across so the edges are not rubbed against.Big tip-make sure your installer does not overstretch the material when pulling it across. This will look different and not blend in. Finding a experienced, very patient, installer is key since this process can not be rushed.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:27 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Yakuza70
Anubus12,

I have it on my NBP TL too. I'll take some pictures when I get a chance but I'm not sure how well it will show up on a photo. From what I was told by the installer, the clear bra shows up the most on pure white and black cars the most. I notice the line but you really have to be looking for it. I'm a nitpicker when it comes to my car so I figured the slight line is worth the protection since my two previous black cars had tons of chips on the nose after a few years.

The clear bra goes about halfway up my hood so I was recently thinking "why doesn't it just go on the entire hood so there wouldn't be a line to see?". I suppose it would add to the cost as I already paid $670 for the hood, entire nose, side mirrors, door trim, and trunk (top of bumper in case you drop or scrape something when loading items into the trunk).

One thing I have noticed since I've had it (about a month now) is that it becomes more noticeable when the car gets dirty so you'd have to keep your car clean - not a problem for me since I'm somewhat of a cleaning/detailing nut.

I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow if I get a chance.
Thanks. Pictures would be great. Does it look TERRIBLE if the car is dirty?
Old 07-29-2005, 01:16 PM
Registered Lunatic

Originally Posted by Toasterthedog
How has the half nose mask protected your car. Any problems w/ scratching underneath?
I've only had my TL for a week now, so I don't have much of a frame of reference. I did a coat of wax yesterday, and took the half nose mask off for the wash & wax. I noticed a couple of small surface scratches that were hidden by the mask --> I presume these were from the dealer (I'll be bringing that up with him when I see him in a couple of weeks for my A-Spec suspension). Getting the three-piece mask on and off wasn't difficult in the slightest, and I do like how it looks on my NBP/Ebony.

I didn't get the full nose mask mainly because I'm told it doesn't work well with the added A-spec front skirt. Besides, the plastic of the front bumper is pretty chip resistant.

Old 07-29-2005, 02:01 PM
6th Gear

Thumbs up

I have the WDP with the 'VentureShield' protection film. It almost covers all of the lower half of the hood, all of the bumper area and the mirrors.

The only time that I notice any of it on the car is when I wash it and then can notice the line across the hood and that is only because I am close enough to the car when washing it. Otherwise, it is never noticed...and believe me...I am very "nitpicky" so if I am satisfied, which I am, then all is well with it.

As for it showing up more vividly on a white or black car, I don't think that is the case at all. If it is properly installed, it should not make any difference as to what color your car is since it is a clear film.

If you are truly intertested in the whatever brand of clear film, the line is not going to be so noticable where it should make a difference when compared to the benefit of having it on your car.

As far as the hood being "chip resistent"...most hoods today are said to be "chip resistent" but that does not mean "chip proof".

In other words, you are still going to get some damage to your hood regardless, when left unprotected. That also means damage from the chemicals in bird poop and bug "juice" too.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:14 PM
Racer

It is really tough to take a picture that shows the line on the hood or anywhere else. I have the 3M clearbra 1/2 way up the hood, the whole front bumper, 1/2 of the side fenders, both side mirrors and the top of the rear bumper. I also had them put the thicker film on the headlight lenses. That will stop any pitting that will occur from stone chips.

I am also very picky about how my car looks and was concerned about the line. To be honest, I noticed the line for the first couple weeks, but then I just forgot about it. I have shown my car to lots of friends and family members, but no one has noticed the line or clearbra at all. Even after telling them that I had it installed, I had to point out the line on the hood.

If I can figure out how to post a picture, you will notice what looks like slight "orange peel" on the hood. That is the natural texture incorporated in the clearbra material. They give it a texture so it blends with paint better. I was told by my installed that if it were completely smooth, it would be more obvious. Turns out that the TL has very little orange peel from the factory so that makes the clearbra a bit more obvious if you look really close.

I have had it 3 months now and would highly recommend it. I am not as afraid of getting stuck behind a pickup truck or SUV in traffic anymore.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:50 PM
Racer

O.K. it took me a while to figure out how to post photos on the forum so I hope this works! Sorry, the photos are so large!

If you look closely, you can see the line.

However, as you step back, it's much harder to see.

I hope this helps you out. If you're still unsure, I would contact an installer and go to his or her shop and see if you can look at different installations on cars he or she has done.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:57 AM
Advanced

Yakuza70,

Thank you for the pictures!!! The installer did a great job on your car. I can only see the line in the close up picture. It may just be me, but does the film "distorts" the paint finish? What I mean is, I saw a red Lexus with the film installed. Where the film was on the hood, had a MUCH different finish than the regular paint. I could clearly see that it was "duller" and was very noticeable. From your pictures, it does seem to exhibit the same. Do you see that?

BTW, what is the warranty they gave? I am considering a Clearshield product vs. a 3M. Hope it is the same.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:59 AM
Advanced

Another issue that I may have is that my car has 2700 miles on it. I have bug guts and a few minor nicks in the front and hood. Is it too late? I really don't want to put a film OVER bug guts and have it be seen permanently.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
You should clean the bug guts off before installation, there are many methods available to do this. As far as the nicks....My clearbra went on just over a year ago and I had a few nicks on the hood. I chose not to repaint at the time as they were minor.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:24 AM
I slow down for COPS

Originally Posted by Anubus12
Another issue that I may have is that my car has 2700 miles on it. I have bug guts and a few minor nicks in the front and hood. Is it too late? I really don't want to put a film OVER bug guts and have it be seen permanently.
Bug guts can either be buffed out or if not possible if covered by the bra, they will disappear. Yes, they will.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:26 AM
I slow down for COPS

Originally Posted by besharpone
As for it showing up more vividly on a white or black car, I don't think that is the case at all. If it is properly installed, it should not make any difference as to what color your car is since it is a clear film.
The key is the proper installation, otherwise, you are just wasting your money.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:28 AM
I slow down for COPS

Originally Posted by TLVR
I have had the 3M clear bra for a year now. Had no problems and the coverage across half the hood is really necessary since the majority of stone/debri chips will impact this area.The anthracite color hides the hood line well most of the time, it usually depends on how the light hits it. When shown - people do not even notice that the hood is covered at all. Take care not to have wax residue get on the edges, this will make the line more noticeable. Careful removal with a toothbrush will help. Also wash the hood going across so the edges are not rubbed against.Big tip-make sure your installer does not overstretch the material when pulling it across. This will look different and not blend in. Finding a experienced, very patient, installer is key since this process can not be rushed.
You should never use a toothbrush for wax removal. You are putting scratches in the paint. USE A Q-TIP. It is much safer.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:13 AM
Safety Car

This is a great picture of Paint Protection Film. This is Jerky's SSM and sorry it's not NBP. The install was done by Invisiguard (Jeremy). The 15th pix (rt front fender), you can see the film just above the bumber and fender seam. The 16th pix is a view looking from the left rear. That line will always be there, but it's not noticeable viewing from the front as it blends well with the paint. I don't pay any attention to it anymore.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:17 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Geting clear bra was one of the best investment I did on the car. No chips, easier to clean bugs. I've NBT too and yes when it's dirty you can see the bra but on a clean car no one can notice it unless you point them out. Here is one picture;

Can you see it on the left fender