"my custom audio system upgrade w/ 3sixty!"

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 06:24 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
"my custom audio system upgrade w/ 3sixty!"

finished my system upgrade, i wanted to retain the 5.1 sound so i used the rockford fosgate 3 sixty interactive signal processor. replaced all the speakers, for the fronts i used diamond audio hex 600 and for the rear diamond audio d361i, center i used a pyle 3.5 60 watt, no modification of center speaker grill was needed just screw in, fit perfectly. for the sub i used a 12" jl audio w6. amps i used jl 450/4 and 500/1 i also used a small power acoustik amp for the center for the power i used an optima yellow top mounted in the trunk and a monster 1 farad digicap and 0 gauge wire, all the wire, connectors, and rcas were monster cable. the sound is amazine!! the hi's are crisp and clear, the bass is awesome nice and tight, you could really feel it and hear it through the port i enlarged, dvd's audio is going through the 3sixty's aux output. the sound is incredible im very happy with the end result here's what i did

i took the signal for the 3sixty after the stock amp. i soldered every connection and used shrink tube, labled them and ran them under the carpet and into the trunk.

i used dynamat extreme on both front doors the trunk and the rear deck there are no rattles whatsoever

i didn't want to use connectors for fear they might come off so i soldered the speaker wire right to the speaker

diamond audio d361i installed rear deck

i used the original tweeter grill cut out the center so the new one would fit. and made another grill for it using the extra metal grills that came with the diamond audio speakers

i wanted to keep the oem look. i think i accomplished that!

for the door speakers i opted not to splice into anything. so i ran the wire directly from the speaker drilled a small hole in the inside of the door and through the factory rubber wire harness cover.

this is the crossover for the hex speakers and tweeters they're kinda big no room in the door and i didn't want to run the signal all the way to the trunk, so i mounted them underneath each seat the closer to the speaker the better.

the optima yellow top mounted in the trunk, and a 200 amp battery isolator installed under the hood using 0 gauge wire, notice how i reinforced the rear seat with 1/4" mdf in between the metal frame of the rear seat and the wood is a 1/2" foam membrane to prevent any rattles

two small fans help keep the amps cool while in use

i put the 3sixty and jl bass knob controls in one of the center cup holders

monster 1 farad digital capacitor

3 sixty interactive signal processor w/ bluetooth for wireless tuning

a shot of the inside w/ led lighting

i made this today using reflective black sticker, flash off

flash on

the ride
Old 07-30-2006, 06:46 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice...I like all the blue that you got going with it.
Good Job

BTW Wat kind of rims r those?
Old 07-30-2006, 06:49 PM
You like?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
now thats an impressive install

nice write up too
Old 07-30-2006, 06:49 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by YoungnTLDrivr
Nice...I like all the blue that you got going with it.
Good Job

BTW Wat kind of rims r those?
thanks man, they are 19" maya rt5 3 peice wheels
Old 07-30-2006, 07:20 PM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Sweet install man... how long did it take you to do all that??

How's that AD212 working out??
Old 07-30-2006, 07:33 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by jmbnova
Sweet install man... how long did it take you to do all that??

How's that AD212 working out??
i think it's a good unit, the picture quality is good and cuz it's hooked up to the 3sixty the sound is freakin awesome.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Bone stock tl-s

[QUOTE=jmbnova]Sweet install man... how long did it take you to do all that??

thanks bro. the install took me about 3 weeks, i took my time to make sure everything was how i wanted
Old 07-30-2006, 07:51 PM
99 SSM Tl

nice setup ! i have 1 W6 on my 500/1 and it work really well...
Old 07-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
where did you buy the reflective black sticker from?
Old 07-30-2006, 08:30 PM
UT Longhorn

beautiful install
Old 07-30-2006, 11:03 PM
Bone stock tl-s

here's a night shot of the trunk

7" nesa monitors in the visors

you cant tell in the pic but the picture quality is really good on these
Old 07-31-2006, 07:20 AM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Incredible install!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-31-2006, 07:34 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
which 3sixty."x" did you use???? .1 or the .2... Did you sum the signal from the factory head unit??? How was the tunning of the system via the bluetooth??? (what device did you pair to the 3sixty)
Old 07-31-2006, 07:49 AM
Instructor

In my opinion, as a former electronics junkie and installer... this is the cleanest, best install I have seen yet.

I also liked the way you flat-bundled the speaker wires - clever. Oh, and I do have a bias for JL Audio.

Great job.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Looks great! How long did it take you to do everything?
Old 07-31-2006, 11:45 AM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
very nice install

final cost on everything? (rims too)
Old 07-31-2006, 12:07 PM
Bone stock tl-s

[QUOTE=urbaita1]In my opinion, as a former electronics junkie and installer... this is the cleanest, best install I have seen yet.

thanks all for the compliments, i used the 3sixty .1 and used the palm one treo 650 to wirelessly tune it, via bluetooth connection. i took the signal from factory deck after the stock amp.

this was my first attempt it came out good, a little too plain and simple. i only had the sub ampified. so when i decided to redo the whole system i wanted to do something a bit more complicated and creative. i don't do this for a living, guess im just good with my hands, and i have all the tools
p.s. woodshop was my favorite class
Old 07-31-2006, 12:23 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by Acuraluvr
very nice install

final cost on everything? (rims too)
the install took me about 3 weeks to do, i took my time to get everything right. the cost for the eqipment, amps, speakers,batt, cap,processor etc..... was about $2,200 installation and fabrication i did myself, im sure it would have been bank if i had a shop do it.\

rims were $4,100 w/ a set of toyo proxy's
Old 07-31-2006, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Set up looks AWESOME!! very Clean

Does your bass sound better with the box before (rear firering) or after (firering into the cab)?

Can you explain the difference?
Old 07-31-2006, 01:14 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by morgan040
Set up looks AWESOME!! very Clean

Does your bass sound better with the box before (rear firering) or after (firering into the cab)?

Can you explain the difference?
thanks man
the bass sounds better fireing into the cab now, it sounds more responsive and tighter deffinately louder. before the sub sounded muffeld or resticked, now the sub is hooked up to the 3sixty cleaner signal before it was hooked up w/ an loc, i like it like this much better, looks and sound.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:03 PM
Team Anthracite Member

hey dude,

Amazing setup! I'm still struggling with mine, but I had one specific question. The wires you used from the stock amp output to the 3sixty... are those coax RCAs, or are they speaker wires? I used speaker wires and I'm getting TONS of hiss. I'm not using a 3sixty, I'm using Navone LOCs which are supposed to be good.

Do you think the 3sixty is really worth it? I might consider it if you say yes.

Also, did you get the 3sixty.1 or 3sixty.2? I see the .1 for $280 on eBay...

I'm assuming you used the high-level inputs...

Sorry for all the questions.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:11 PM
Team Anthracite Member

jp,

one more question... with the 3sixty, I see that it has a separate volume control. How often do you have to use it? do all the factory adjustments (sub control, balance, fade, etc) still work with the 3sixty? When would you have to use the separate volume control knob?

And I'm guessing that if you use the AUX-in for DVDs or iPod or anything else, you then won't have any fade/balance/sub control from the OEM head unit right?

Thanks again.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:23 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by zax123
hey dude,

Amazing setup! I'm still struggling with mine, but I had one specific question. The wires you used from the stock amp output to the 3sixty... are those coax RCAs, or are they speaker wires? I used speaker wires and I'm getting TONS of hiss. I'm not using a 3sixty, I'm using Navone LOCs which are supposed to be good.

Do you think the 3sixty is really worth it? I might consider it if you say yes.

Also, did you get the 3sixty.1 or 3sixty.2? I see the .1 for $280 on eBay...

I'm assuming you used the high-level inputs...

Sorry for all the questions.
im using the 3sixty.1 as for the wires from stock amp output to the 3sixty im using 16 awg kicker hyper-flex speaker cable i get no noise or hiss at all sounds really clean. and yes i used the high- level inputs. the 3sixty is awesome tune from anywhere inside your car w/ your palm, it has a aux i used that for my dvd player sound is incredible. i got it for $230 shipped i forgot the site, i'll look for the invoice. retail is something like $400. for me it was worth it, my amps have a good strong, clean flat signal. thats what you want!
p.s i heard good things about the 3sixty.2, supposed to be twice as good cuz of all the bands of equalization 30 something bands wow!
Old 07-31-2006, 02:29 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by jptl04
im using the 3sixty.1 as for the wires from stock amp output to the 3sixty im using 16 awg kicker hyper-flex speaker cable i get no noise or hiss at all sounds really clean. and yes i used the high- level inputs. the 3sixty is awesome tune from anywhere inside your car w/ your palm, it has a aux i used that for my dvd player sound is incredible. i got it for $230 shipped i forgot the site, i'll look for the invoice. retail is something like $400. for me it was worth it, my amps have a good strong, clean flat signal. thats what you want!
p.s i heard good things about the 3sixty.2, supposed to be twice as good cuz of all the bands of equalization 30 something bands wow!
$230 shipped? HOLY COW! Please do tell me where, I'll order one for sure. The David Navone LOCs really aren't working out for me.

If you get no hiss at all, I'm super impressed. I used Monster Cable speaker cable, but it's not shielded in any way. Was yours shielded? From your pictures, it doesn't look like the wires are twisted, but descriptions on the net say that the wire IS twisted... is it? I'm just wondering why I get so much hiss. There must be something about the wires from my stock amp to the LOCs that isn't good.

In any case, I'll grab the 3sixty and upgrade the speaker wires to twisted Kicker or something. Maybe that'll work. Did you order the cable from the same site?

Please let me know the name of the place when you get it, thanks!!

Rob
Old 07-31-2006, 02:33 PM
Bone stock tl-s

jp,

one more question... with the 3sixty, I see that it has a separate volume control. How often do you have to use it? do all the factory adjustments (sub control, balance, fade, etc) still work with the 3sixty? When would you have to use the separate volume control knob?

And I'm guessing that if you use the AUX-in for DVDs or iPod or anything else, you then won't have any fade/balance/sub control from the OEM head unit right?

Thanks again.
the seperate control you can program it to be your main volume or subwoofer control, i have it as my main volume control, i just give it a good amount of gain then i can still use my oem volume to adjust the loudness. all factory adjustments still work w/ the 3sixty when you want to use the aux-in just push down on the knob and wait 4 seconds and then that becomes your main volume for the aux-in, and you're right about the oem controls you don't have them when using the aux-in just volume.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:37 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Another question

What did you use as a remote trigger signal to turn on your amps and your 3sixty? I'm just using a switched/fused 12V line from the fusebox which is on when the ignition is at ON (II). The reason it sucks for me is that I have a constant hiss in the background even when the head unit is off. You?
Old 07-31-2006, 02:59 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Another question

What did you use as a remote trigger signal to turn on your amps and your 3sixty? I'm just using a switched/fused 12V line from the fusebox which is on when the ignition is at ON (II). The reason it sucks for me is that I have a constant hiss in the background even when the head unit is off. You?
im getting the 12v line from the dvd-rom unit power, im using a 30 amp spdt relay cuz im turning on three amps the 3sixty and two fans. hope that helps
Old 08-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Instructor

How did you wire up your tweets, Where did you tap into the wires for them or did you run all new ones up the dash?
Old 08-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by morgan040
How did you wire up your tweets, Where did you tap into the wires for them or did you run all new ones up the dash?
i ran new wires from tweets down through the dash to the crossover, and then to the amps in the trunk. i did not tap/splice into any of the oem wires for any of the speakers.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Team Anthracite Member

JP,

The 12V wire from the DVD unit... it's on whenever the ignition is at ON (II) right? I was looking more for a wire that's 12V only when the head unit is on, but whatever, really no big deal. I used a wire that's 12V at ON (II) straight from the fusebox.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Bone stock tl-s

JP,

The 12V wire from the DVD unit... it's on whenever the ignition is at ON (II) right? I was looking more for a wire that's 12V only when the head unit is on, but whatever, really no big deal. I used a wire that's 12V at ON (II) straight from the fusebox.
did you try the yel/red power wire behind the radio unit you could use that for a remote turn on i guess but i don't know if its 12v. this would also mean you would have to take your car apart again to get to it the way you have it is fine i think
Old 08-02-2006, 03:04 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I think I have to take her apart anyway because when I install the 3sixty (which is on a 2-week delay from brandnamez ), I want to run new wires from the stock amp to the 3sixty. The wires I have now I think might be my hissing problem. I also want to wire up the new DVD-switch I bought and rewire the way my AD212 works. Hopefully, this'll be the last time I take her apart. When you were uses the speaker wire that you brought from the stock amp to the 3sixty, did you happen to notice if it is coaxial or two wires running one next to the other? Or perhaps they are twisted around each other?
Old 08-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Bone stock tl-s

When you were uses the speaker wire that you brought from the stock amp to the 3sixty, did you happen to notice if it is coaxial or two wires running one next to the other? Or perhaps they are twisted around each other?[/QUOTE]

i used the braided kind. just like whats used for the speakers only it's 16awg on the cable itself it says it has 108 strands.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Amazing install. Good job. You even have me drooling. You have me thinking about that 3sixty.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:04 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by King of Pain
Amazing install. Good job. You even have me drooling. You have me thinking about that 3sixty.
thanks man! i seen your install too it's a really nice set-up as well, very clean, as for the sound comparison to your loc's i don't know what the diff would be. the 3sixty is awesome to be able to tune it via bluetooth is a really cool feature. i say go for it
Old 08-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Tint The Windshield

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dang man, that's the godliest install I've seen yet! I would do that exact thing to my car except for losing the cup holders. I saw one TL in the dub magazine car show and he put 2 tv's in the trunk lid top , etc. but that was wayyy to over done.

How much did it all cost? Do you have a link for the website you bought all the speakers, amps, subs, wires, and cap etc.?
Old 08-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Bone stock tl-s

How much did it all cost? Do you have a link for the website you bought all the speakers, amps, subs, wires, and cap etc.?[/QUOTE]

total cost was about $2.200 for everything. the only thing i bought online was the diamond audio speakers, bought from an ebay car stereo store and the processor, all the other stuff i got from a local stereo shop, prices were just as good as online plus i didn't have to pay any shipping
Old 08-04-2006, 02:08 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jptl04
How much did it all cost? Do you have a link for the website you bought all the speakers, amps, subs, wires, and cap etc.?

That looks awesome. Very nice work. I was wondering if you had to cut a bigger hole to fit those aftermkt front 6.5's??

Another question I have for the ppl that has attempted an aft mkt sub system. I heard that our OEM system has a protection where you turn up the volume and the wattage will go down to prevent the speakers from distorting which will cause the speaker to damage. So my question is does your sub gets louder once you turn up the volume until around 15 then the base doesn't hit as hard. In order to fix this, if you have a bass control..you would have to up it a bit to compensate the lost?? ANyone experience this???
Old 08-04-2006, 02:44 AM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dude seriously AWESOME setup. I really like the look of your car. The system is just fucking BADASS. major major props on the system i'd pay you to set up my car like that..

I love the wheels... i was soooo close to getting those mayas... they look sick on your car.

i like how u cleared on the side light on the front also Did u do it yourself?
Old 08-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by ed99
That looks awesome. Very nice work. I was wondering if you had to cut a bigger hole to fit those aftermkt front 6.5's??

Another question I have for the ppl that has attempted an aft mkt sub system. I heard that our OEM system has a protection where you turn up the volume and the wattage will go down to prevent the speakers from distorting which will cause the speaker to damage. So my question is does your sub gets louder once you turn up the volume until around 15 then the base doesn't hit as hard. In order to fix this, if you have a bass control..you would have to up it a bit to compensate the lost?? ANyone experience this???
thanks bro, the hex 6.5" were bigger than stock , i had to use a dremil tool w/ a cutting wheel to enlarge the hole, w/ this tool i made a nice clean cut. you can see this in my 3rd pic. as for the sub/volume, i have a bass knob from my jl amp that adjusts the bass, the sub hits fine at any vol level. i can adjust the bass even more w/ the oem deck.

Quick Reply: "my custom audio system upgrade w/ 3sixty!"