3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D-109: Lug Nuts/ Wheel Lock Broke Off! HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 01:27 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
D-109: Lug Nuts/ Wheel Lock Broke Off! HELP!!!!

Thanks for your quick responses first.
So I'm doing my brakes, when I go to take off the second rear wheel and drivers front this happens.

2 of the locking wheel nuts sheered off!!!!!! how the fuck do I get my wheels off?
I'm in a sticky situation too because the one wheel I got off I had already painted the caliper and have the new rotors half installed. I called a tire shop and they said they can do it tomorrow for me. Should I put on the old rotor and pads for the drive there? then finish replacing them at the same time? I'm so pissed right now!!! I was going to have this all buttoned up today so I could wash and wax tomorrow. Beer time.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:43 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may have to get something like a stripped nut extractor.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I personally would have the shop do it only because you could risk stripping it more and cause further damage. Just my
Old 08-17-2007, 01:46 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
can you get a pliers or anything on the sheared nuts? or maybe a chisel of sorts? one of those looks like you can take chisel or maybe an old flat tip and pound that shiz. what i did in the past, is take an old socket that is lightly bigger than the sheared nut and pound it on there, then turn it off. that is similar to what the tire shop will do. other than that i dunno
Old 08-17-2007, 01:59 PM
Unofficial Goat

weird they told me that they hammer on a smaller socket and go at it with the impact gun.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
an air chisel keeps you from sacraficing a socket-

put what you can together-- so you know its greased right to aziner spec- then drive it to the shop for destruction of the locks- then put the rest on at home
BUY new locks!!!

Must be those Canuk winters- after you get them off - put a small amount of anti sieze on the lug threads
And on the rotors- apply a coat of caliper grease to the center hub where the rotor slides over it- just a little prevention- I also put anti sieze between the wheel rim and axle hub to prevent seizing
Old 08-17-2007, 02:14 PM

there you go, save yourself the time and $$ do it like that, but make sure it is a socket you are willing to part with!
Old 08-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by The Dougler
weird they told me that they hammer on a smaller socket and go at it with the impact gun.
Maybe with a regular nut, but I don't see how they can do that with the lock nut...it's round. I guess you could force a slightly smaller socket onto it...regardless, that's not going to work on the first one. Good luck and let us know what they end up doing.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:21 PM
Racer

I'm not the most mechanically inclined, so I'm totally learning from this unfortunate experience. So, I have a question...

For those of us who aren't total grease monkeys (like myself) who might have something like this happen either at a repair shop or when a friend or relative is doing work on your car, if the wheel locks are Acura locks sold new with the car, wouldn't this be a failure of a part covered by warranty? (Provided the car is still within the warranty period, of course.)

At the very least, wouldn't the dealer fix this as a courtesy or with an hourly charge?

Just seems to me if Acura's wheel locks failed somehow on an Acura vehicle, this should be something Acura would be obligated to help the customer with.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:30 PM
Unofficial Goat

They failed cause the grease monkeys like to put them on with an impact gun instead of a torque wrench. They all fail eventually it's just a matter of time and how hard they hit it with the air tools. At this point i'm going to put the old rotor and pads on call it a day and have a few beers. Tomorrow will be a different story.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Maybe with a regular nut, but I don't see how they can do that with the lock nut...it's round. I guess you could force a slightly smaller socket onto it...regardless, that's not going to work on the first one. Good luck and let us know what they end up doing.
when i lost the key to my lock nuts, i took it to a tire shop and they had this old socket welded to a long pipe and the hammered on the locknut and turned it off. took em like 5 min and they didnt even need to put it on the lift.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Safety Car

DUDE I had that happen to me the other day!!! but I had the extractor kit..... a good investment if u work on cars...a tire shop should have one I wouldnt use a chisel because it could ruin the threads
Old 08-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Safety Car

hope all turns out ok goodluck
Old 08-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jzacuto
I'm not the most mechanically inclined, so I'm totally learning from this unfortunate experience. So, I have a question...

For those of us who aren't total grease monkeys (like myself) who might have something like this happen either at a repair shop or when a friend or relative is doing work on your car, if the wheel locks are Acura locks sold new with the car, wouldn't this be a failure of a part covered by warranty? (Provided the car is still within the warranty period, of course.)

At the very least, wouldn't the dealer fix this as a courtesy or with an hourly charge?

Just seems to me if Acura's wheel locks failed somehow on an Acura vehicle, this should be something Acura would be obligated to help the customer with.
If it was a OEM lock, I would first take it to the dealer!! What if you where on the road and had a flat and this happened and didn't want to wait on Acura Roadside!! This would only be aggravated if it where to happen in a dangerous part of town. I would see what the dealer could do for you.

As for the lug, destroy it, regardless of the stud. Studs are easy to replace. Try to split the remaining part of the lug down one side, and peal it like an orange. The hard part is trying not to scratch or damage the rim.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by The Dougler
They failed cause the grease monkeys like to put them on with an impact gun instead of a torque wrench. They all fail eventually it's just a matter of time and how hard they hit it with the air tools. At this point i'm going to put the old rotor and pads on call it a day and have a few beers. Tomorrow will be a different story.
Aw, that sucks!!! Wish it could have worked out better for you. Maybe tomorrow though!!
Old 08-17-2007, 02:52 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This happened to me and I took it in for warranty work. No go. They say that it is a dealer installed accessory and therefore does not qualify for warranty. I had to buy new ones. I got it off with another socket and a hammer
Old 08-17-2007, 03:02 PM
08 type-s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just use the socket and an impact gun!! this has happened a couple of times to me....lol u have to use an impact though, a socket and torgue stick will not work, the socket will just twist off...... hope this helps....
Old 08-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Unofficial Goat

Well I've packed it in for the day, watching some motor trend now. If I had air tools that fucker would be off by now, but unfortunatly that is my next investment I'm waiting to get a good one with high so i can operate a multitude of tools.

If i was on the highway and this happened I think i would just set it ablaze. In hindsight the 26' torque bar I was using probably was not the best idea. It's nap time now 24 hours with no sleep start to hurt.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:14 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, here's what you do... Remove the other four lug nuts on those rims so just the bad locks are installed - then drive car vigorously until said two wheels fall off..

JUST KIDDING

In all my years I have never seen a lock break like the first picture. The lower picture/lock sure, that can happen. If mine, I would carefully finish off the first lock with a chisel - it's nearly gone anyway (your rim will take a few nicks but it has already). The second photo/lock will possibly come off via the old pounding on of socket method.. And no you don't use a impact gun once you pound on the socket - may work some time but will usually strip the sockets grip faster than using a breaker bar by hand.. Then again, it's whatever ends up working for the tech.

Sucks when something like this happens when you're all prepped and excited to perform a task/mod!!

Good luck
Old 08-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Racer

If they do not have special extractor sockets they can try with smaller regular socket, but I do not think that it will work. Nevertheless hammering is not good for bearings.

The best way is to drill those studs so that rest of nuts fell off and than replace them.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:36 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mishar
Nevertheless hammering is not good for bearings.

The best way is to drill those studs so that rest of nuts fell off and than replace them.

Sad part is the mechanic would probably spend more time "hammering" the drilled studs out than would be required to finesse/chisel the one and twist off the other lock.
(Then again maybe he would use an appropriate stud press/puller...??)

I would agree however, wheel bearings wouldn't necessarily like local/focused "hammering"..
Old 08-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen. Sheared two of the locking nuts off and they looked just like that. They have lug nut extractors you can buy for like $19 at autozone or napa. I borrowed one from a towing company. Worked fine and took them right off. There is another thread on here regarding this same thing I believe I found the info from.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:15 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Ive had this happen to me at work, ive used an air hammer, notched the wheel lock and held the air hammer at the loosen angle and it eventually broke loose and spun right off the stud. I had to be very careful not to damage the rim. I think some local auto parts stores have a universal wheel lock extractor which may help you.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:03 AM
Unofficial Goat

I have an appointment at a local tire shop in the AM, the said that this happens frequently and they can remove them for me. Just pisses me off that i wasted a day goofing with this silly problem. Of all the brake jobs i've done I would have never seen this coming!
Old 08-18-2007, 02:13 AM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey this happen to me before on my old accord
I couldnt put the lug back on because it was cut off like urs (happened to me when the grease monkeys replaced my tires and switch them around)

what the shop does was open up my brake caliper and such and remove the back part of the broken screw and than they got some new one from autozone and replace it. It shouldnt take them more than 30 minutes
Old 08-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Unofficial Goat

Went to the tire shop, they had some special socket to yank them out. Cost me 60 bucks. WEnt to acura to try and get some new ones free, but the service guy is an asshole and I ended up telling him off and walking out. I'm still a little edgy because I went out partying last night and am on 5 hours of sleep in the last 48. I then went to the local honda dealer, and told the parts guy it was off my dads accord. He said they don't normally warrant the nuts and he needs his boss to approve it or whatever, he kindly gave me his boses card and said give him a shout on monday when he's in. I asked him to grab me four normal lug nuts cause I need my car and i can deal with this shit later, I asked him how much he said FREE! This is why Honda dealers kick ass! I can say I love my honda dealer.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:15 AM
Instructor

go buy a cheap 12point/19mm deep socket, beat it onto the lug w/ a hammer, then remove w/ 1/2 in. impact. usually works, sometimes does have to be "cut" off if all else fails. may end up having to get rims repaired or replaced
Old 07-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Mistuh DRiiVA

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
damn this same thing happened to me a while ago...ended up costing $200 at acura to fix it.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
go to the dealer, since it's a genuine accessory it should be covered. As well added to the 3G garage! If you want another title, PM me and I'll change it.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
i would use an old socket and impact gun. if not i would take it to a shop for them to take care of
Old 07-14-2009, 08:39 PM
Instructor

The same thing happened to me in the OP's fourth pic. This is the third time on three different cars that the mcgard lock or key broke on me. What are the other lock options (ball set) for OE rims? Gorrilla? I know anyone that wants the rim will get them but I'm looking for a deterant for the neighborhood thugs.