Renew XM Radio for $77 for 12 months, Part 5

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Talking Renew XM Radio for $77 for 12 months, Part 5

This thread, which has more than 200,000 views and 3000 posts, has been broken up into five (5) separate threads. This one is just the most recent to spare you from days of reading. If you want to refer to the previous posts, the links are here:

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1

Based on the posts of successful members, I estimate these threads have saved AZ members $ 154,000 collectively. And now, back to our program which is already in progress:

Originally Posted by curri
My XM 3 month subscription expires on 7/4. Is it too early to renew and try for the $77 deal? I seem to remember reading that I should wait until the very end of the initial free offer period.

Thanks.

First... call and make sure they are not going to auto renew you and charge your credit card. Have your radio code and call the customer service number. Tell them you want to let it expire because it's too expensive at full rates.

Then, they might offer you the $77 deal. If so, skip the rest of these steps and take it. If not, hang up after making sure it will not auto renew.

After it cancels, then call in with the script about having gotten a flyer. See the scan of the previous flyer posted HERE .

Then call the 800-682-4114 number and read the script:

SCRIPT FOLLOWS:

"Hello. My subscription to XM Radio has expired but I just got a flyer with a special offer. I would like to take advantage of this offer for $77 for a year."

The old promotion code, "zwinback", according to recent posters who secured the deal, is no longer needed. If they ask for the radio code, give that to them. They WILL ask for it because that's the only way they can turn it on. If you had, in fact, gotten a flyer, it would have your radio code printed on it so have it handy. You can always get your radio code by tuning your XM radio to channel 0.

If at first you don't succeed, try again. Most people get it on the first try but others required 2 or 3 calls to different Customer Service reps.

Yes, you CAN get it over and over again. Many of us are on our forth year at $77. But NOTE: This is not a front door, well known promotion. It is a quiet deal to get old customers back who have canceled. If you jump on the phone and say that you heard about this deal on the Internet/Acurazine, you might just kill the Golden Goose. Be considerate of those coming behind you.

Lastly: as you will read, the SCRIPT works. If you don't follow it, you're on your own. Take the time to read the instructions for best results.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:03 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does this guide for getting XM for cheap work only for renewing a subscription, or does it work for first time sign-up also? I bought a used 2004 TL a few days ago, and I seem to get all of the all of the channels on my XM radio. I've never signed up for a subscription, so I imagine that it's still in a trial period. Can anybody clue me in on how long the trial period lasts, and if after that, I could sign up for $77/year using this method? Thanks

- Anthony
Old 02-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by tony140
Does this guide for getting XM for cheap work only for renewing a subscription, or does it work for first time sign-up also? I bought a used 2004 TL a few days ago, and I seem to get all of the all of the channels on my XM radio. I've never signed up for a subscription, so I imagine that it's still in a trial period. Can anybody clue me in on how long the trial period lasts, and if after that, I could sign up for $77/year using this method? Thanks

- Anthony
We talked about this in Part 4.

I suggest, when it expires, to call and say that you were given a flier by the previous owner with the $77 offer and you would like to sign up and take advantage of the offer. Let them know that is the only way you will subscribe as you do not feel it is worth any more than that.

Good luck.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:00 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks...will do.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:21 PM
3rd Gear

Fyi, I just called and told XM that my free trial was expiring in a couple days, and please do not renew me. They immediately offered the $77 deal.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mikes1122
Fyi, I just called and told XM that my free trial was expiring in a couple days, and please do not renew me. They immediately offered the $77 deal.
Yes, that happens sometimes. That's why the instructions in post #1 say:

Originally Posted by XPDitor
Tell them you want to let it expire because it's too expensive at full rates.....Then, they might offer you the $77 deal. If so, skip the rest of these steps and take it. If not, hang up after making sure it will not auto renew.
Congratulations.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I called this morning. Told them to cancel my XM. They offered the $77 deal for another year. It's my 3rd year at $77. Thank you acurazine, again!
Old 02-18-2008, 12:02 PM
3rd Gear

This is my 4th year using this promo. It worked great. I even asked if I could get the $77 promo on a secondary portable unit we have for my wife's car and the house.

Great deal and it works. Thanks for all the continued help.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dominator
This is my 4th year using this promo. It worked great. I even asked if I could get the $77 promo on a secondary portable unit we have for my wife's car and the house.

Great deal and it works. Thanks for all the continued help.
Wow! Four years and three posts?? Talkative, aren't you?

Congratulations.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It just worked for me again.

I called and said told the agent that I wanted to cancel because the last time I cancelled I received a postcard for $70 something dollars a year.

She asked if I would remain a customer if she offered me the $77 deal. To which I said yes of course. Five minutes on the phone and I was done.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Cruisin'

Worked like a charm. Thanks!!!
Old 02-21-2008, 01:01 PM
Instructor

I just got my letter that says my trial is about to expire on March 2, 2008. Here's the letter with the standard rates

I want to keep my XM as long as I can get the $77 deal for a year. My 08 TL-S has Navigation standard. So when I sign up for 1 year of XM Radio with out the NavTraffic does that mean my navigation will no longer work when my trial period expires? I thought the navigation with the real time traffic, Zagat ratings is seperate of the XM. Thanks for the help
Old 02-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by SoCalTLtypeS
I just got my letter that says my trial is about to expire on March 2, 2008. Here's the letter with the standard rates

I want to keep my XM as long as I can get the $77 deal for a year. My 08 TL-S has Navigation standard. So when I sign up for 1 year of XM Radio with out the NavTraffic does that mean my navigation will no longer work when my trial period expires? I thought the navigation with the real time traffic, Zagat ratings is seperate of the XM. Thanks for the help
Your navi and Zagat are totally separate from the traffic. They will still work. I recommend you let the subscription expire (since they don't have your credit card info yet). Then, when it no longer works, call them and used the SCRIPT in post #1.

Dave
Old 02-21-2008, 02:55 PM
9th Gear

My trial ended in November and they wouldn't do anything good for me, except whatever was on the website. I called the 866 number on the flayer above and told them that I haven't received any promotions from them since my subscription expired, the guy at first said that he can't tell me about any promotions if I don't already know about them, which didn't make sense at all, but then he checked my account and offered me the $77/year or $4.99/month for three month. So I took it !1 Thank you for the info!!!
Old 02-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by PashaNYC
My trial ended in November and they wouldn't do anything good for me, except whatever was on the website. I called the 866 number on the flayer above and told them that I haven't received any promotions from them since my subscription expired, the guy at first said that he can't tell me about any promotions if I don't already know about them, which didn't make sense at all, but then he checked my account and offered me the $77/year or $4.99/month for three month. So I took it !1 Thank you for the info!!!
Pasha.......

Did you read the first post? The part where it says this is not a promotion? The part where it says this is a last resort to get canceled customers back?

Did you read the SCRIPT? The part where it explicitly tells you what to say? That you got an offer in the mail?

There is a reason for that SCRIPT. We already know everything you stated and that's why there is a SCRIPT. In order to get the back-door price, you have to touch all the bases. This is not a full page ad in the Sunday paper. It is "inside".

Now does it make sense what he told you?
Old 02-22-2008, 12:27 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Xpditor
Pasha.......

Did you read the first post? The part where it says this is not a promotion? The part where it says this is a last resort to get canceled customers back?

Did you read the SCRIPT? The part where it explicitly tells you what to say? That you got an offer in the mail?

There is a reason for that SCRIPT. We already know everything you stated and that's why there is a SCRIPT. In order to get the back-door price, you have to touch all the bases. This is not a full page ad in the Sunday paper. It is "inside".

Now does it make sense what he told you?
YES, i did read this post and not once
YES, I did read your SCRIPT
and NO it doesn't make sense to me because this was my forth time calling them and no matter who I speak with and what I say to them, they WOULD NOT offer me the $77 plan. And now they did, WITHOUT touching all the bases .
That is all
Old 02-22-2008, 08:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by PashaNYC
..... I called the 866 number on the flayer above and told them that I haven't received any promotions from them since my subscription expired, the guy at first said that he can't tell me about any promotions if I don't already know about them....
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, it seems you did just the opposite of the recommended procedure.

But, all's well that ends well.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Instructor

Xpditor thanks for the info. No reason paying for NavTraffic from XM if the Acura alreay has navigation. I'll wait until it expires in March then get the 1-yr. XM radio deal without the NavTraffic feature (since XM and my navigation are seperate). I'll keep you posted
Old 02-23-2008, 09:44 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I just called the folks @ XM radio and used the script and I've got XM radio for another year for $77. I told her i had received and flyer and that was it! One more reason for me to love this car!
Old 02-23-2008, 09:44 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I just called the folks @ XM radio and used the script and I've got XM radio for another year for $77. I told her i had received and flyer and that was it! One more reason for me to love this car!
Old 02-23-2008, 12:30 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
will this work if i never had an account?
which buttons do i hold down to get the radio code?
Old 02-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
will this work if i never had an account?
which buttons do i hold down to get the radio code?
As said in Post #1: Your radio code is on XM channel 0. You don't have to hold any buttons down.

Call XM and tell them you would like to have a free trial of XM for 3 months as you just got the car. They will usually do that. Sometimes they want your credit card info so they can auto bill you the regular HIGH price at the end of 3 mos.

You can give it to them and then tickle yourself to call them in a few weeks to cancel the auto renewal.

When it terminates after 3 mos, call and use the SCRIPT.

That is all.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:00 PM
2006 Acura TL

This thread, which has more than 165,000 views and 2400 posts, has been broken up into five (5) separate threads. This one is just the most recent to spare you from days of reading. If you want to refer to the previous posts, the links are here:

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1

Based on the posts of successful members, I estimate these threads have saved AZ members $ 154,000 collectively. And now, back to our program which is already in progress:

First... call and make sure they are not going to auto renew you and charge your credit card. Have your radio code and call the customer service number. Tell them you want to let it expire because it's too expensive at full rates.

Then, they might offer you the $77 deal. If so, skip the rest of these steps and take it. If not, hang up after making sure it will not auto renew.

After it cancels, then call in with the script about having gotten a flyer. See the scan of the previous flyer posted HERE .

SCRIPT FOLLOWS:

"Hello. My subscription to XM Radio has expired but I just got a flyer with a special offer. I would like to take advantage of this offer for $77 for a year."

The old promotion code, "zwinback", according to recent posters who secured the deal, is no longer needed. If they ask for the radio code, give that to them. They WILL ask for it because that's the only way they can turn it on. If you had, in fact, gotten a flyer, it would have your radio code printed on it so have it handy. You can always get your radio code by tuning your XM radio to channel 0.

If at first you don't succeed, try again. Most people get it on the first try but others required 2 or 3 calls to different Customer Service reps.

Yes, you CAN get it over and over again. Many of us are on our forth year at $77. But NOTE: This is not a front door, well known promotion. It is a quiet deal to get old customers back who have canceled. If you jump on the phone and say that you heard about this deal on the Internet/Acurazine, you might just kill the Golden Goose. Be considerate of those coming behind you.

Lastly: as you will read, the SCRIPT works. If you don't follow it, you're on your own. Take the time to read the instructions for best results.
Does this only work for Acura vehicles or will it work with others like my wife's '06 CIVIC.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
XM is not really commercial free!

I've renewed my subscription for $77 (thanks to this forum thread!) and generally enjoy it. However, it ticks me off that chanel 24 - Sunny - which happens to be my girlfriend's favorite - is not at all commercial free. I wondered if anyone has taken XM to task on this - they push the fact that it's commercial free.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by rajunwild
Does this only work for Acura vehicles or will it work with others like my wife's '06 CIVIC.
It works on any quality built car like Acura and Honda.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:18 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
As said in Post #1: Your radio code is on XM channel 0. You don't have to hold any buttons down.
owned by my reading skills.

thanks for the tip about the trial. i will do that.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:32 AM
2006 Acura TL

This thread, which has more than 165,000 views and 2400 posts, has been broken up into five (5) separate threads. This one is just the most recent to spare you from days of reading. If you want to refer to the previous posts, the links are here:

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1

SCRIPT FOLLOWS:

I just called XM up and told them I purchased a new vehicle and I was told to call to have my "free 3 month trial" activated. They at first took my info., and then tried to sell me a plan, and I reiterated to them that it was a new vehicle purchase and was told it would be "free" for 3 months, and they set me up. You guys are the bomb. I am going to set my wife up next. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:55 AM
2K8 CBP TL-S 6MT

Well i bought my 08 TL-S back in Nov and been getting snail mail from them that it was going to cost me about $150 for a year, but reading this i didn't take the offer. One thing i used on them is that in my old truck i had sirius(which to me is way better still) and banking on the merger of the two soon, i decided to throw the mother of all trump cards at them.
"I HAVE SIRIUS UNIT FROM MY OLD CAR AND DON'T NEED TO PAY $150 FOR THIS"
then continued to cancel my account due to that i wouldn't pay that kinda price for something I already have from their competition. Eventually I got transferred to the cancellation dept where they some how came up with this great deal at 1/2 price(LOL) just for me(good one right) but then they threw me a curve ball. I got a free month on top of it so this is what was actually billed for
19614 - XM *SATELLITE RADIO XM *SATELLITE RADI 800-XMRADIO 69.44
(actual copy from online report)
has anyone else tried using that they switched to sirius and see what kinda reaction from them?
Old 02-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Called this morning, trial was set to expire 2/25. Went through cancellation menu and got a rep. Said I wanted to cancel, asked my name and address. I then said didn't use it enough to justify the $142, she said she would look up and see if I was in line for any promo. What do you know, offered the half-off!! Thanks Acurazine!
Old 02-25-2008, 04:55 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 288 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by P.R.E.A.M.
I got a free month on top of it so this is what was actually billed for
19614 - XM *SATELLITE RADIO XM *SATELLITE RADI 800-XMRADIO 69.44
(actual copy from online report)
has anyone else tried using that they switched to sirius and see what kinda reaction from them?
The free month is a promotion tied to paying by credit card, which also sets you up for automatic renewal at full price - which is why they give you the free month.

Make sure you cancel before the year ends.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:30 PM
2K8 CBP TL-S 6MT

Originally Posted by mike03a3
The free month is a promotion tied to paying by credit card, which also sets you up for automatic renewal at full price - which is why they give you the free month.

Make sure you cancel before the year ends.
you got it
Old 02-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Old Folks

One More Time!

Thanks, guys. It worked like a charm. Second year at $ 77.00!
Old 02-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Intermediate

I just got off the phone with XM. I got hooked up.

$64 for one year. How?

I called and said I got a flyer...followed the script. She asked if I wanted to go ahead with the $77. I said, ahhhhh I'm not really sure. She threw in a credit of $12.95 for the first month. I agreed.

Not a bad deal considering its supposed to be $150ish for a year. I'll stay a subscriber for 64 though.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Instructor

ive never even had XM before..lol and i did it yesterday.. i said i had it liek 3 years ago and i dont remember my phone number.. blah blah blah.. she didnt ask many questions and just gave me the 77 to turn it on =]
Old 02-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by JROCKACURA
I just got off the phone with XM. I got hooked up.

$64 for one year. How?

I called and said I got a flyer...followed the script. She asked if I wanted to go ahead with the $77. I said, ahhhhh I'm not really sure. She threw in a credit of $12.95 for the first month. I agreed.

Not a bad deal considering its supposed to be $150ish for a year. I'll stay a subscriber for 64 though.
Very good information. Thanks for sharing it.

It's worth a try guys. Remember, you will be transferred to the "Retention Team" whose whole reason for being is to bring you back in the fold or to keep you from canceling. They have lots of discretion.

Their "powers", though, are not generally known to the Customer Service Reps that you first talk to. Nor are they advertised generally. They don't want to cut their own throats. If it became widely known, the people who paid full price would be screaming from the chandeliers.

There are TWO reasons that I recommend following the SCRIPT (with whatever tweaking to fit your circumstance):

ONE: It works. It works dependably. It works the first time. Yes, some of you independent spirits have winged it and gone your own way. Some of you get lucky and others don't. If you're one of those adrenaline junkies who like to take risks..... go for it.

TWO: I'm asking you not to burn bridges for the people coming behind you. When you call up with an attitude that "I know about this deal and I want it now..." Or, "A friend learned about this from the Internet and I want that deal..", XM may just decide that the cat's out of the bag so they might as well shut it down before everyone starts demanding it and cutting into their profits.

I think they want it low profile. It is their last resort to salvage subscribers who want to jump ship. So, let's work with them and keep the ship afloat.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:01 PM
5th Gear

$77 sucessful renewal

At first they offered me a $119 renewal for a year and I mentioned I have seen promotion coupons for $77 service and they said they would make an exception and give me the $77
Old 02-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Gerosolina
At first they offered me a $119 renewal for a year and I mentioned I have seen promotion coupons for $77 service and they said they would make an exception and give me the $77
So.... you didn't read the post #34 immediately before yours? Or you don't care now that you have yours?

There are no coupons for $77. It is not a promotion to get new customers.

I'm happy you got the reduced price. For the reasons detailed above, I am asking that you be considerate of others.

If XM starts to perceive a "run on the bank", they could slam the back door shut on this unadvertised deal.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:38 PM
1st Gear

Angry On hold forever...

Anybody else get put on hold FOREVER??? I called on Monday to renew, got put on hold for 30 minutes and gave up, called again yesterday 20 minutes gave up, right now I'm at 27 minutes and still waiting.........

Too many cancelling?
Old 02-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by tigermaroo
Anybody else get put on hold FOREVER??? I called on Monday to renew, got put on hold for 30 minutes and gave up, called again yesterday 20 minutes gave up, right now I'm at 27 minutes and still waiting.........

Too many cancelling?
That seems to be an exception according to reports. Maybe it's the time of day?
Old 02-29-2008, 09:32 AM
9th Gear

I just got the deal and the rep I spoke with did ask me for the promotion code. Took less than 10 minutes to complete the process.

Quick Reply: Renew XM Radio for $77 for 12 months, Part 5