Air ride on coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air ride on coilovers?

Howdy all!

In some of my previous threads some people had suggested it's possible to put an air suspension on coilovers. I've asked a couple of friends but they don't know if it's possible, so I decided to ask here. Is it even possible?

If so then while it may be expensive, it would be the solution I'm looking for because when the air suspension is deflated, I would just be riding on the coilovers for normal summer driving, I could pop the air ride at a moments notice to raise it up for some more off-road driving, then in the winter I just raise the car up using the coilovers and don't touch the air ride.

This seems like the perfect way of getting the easy 1 button lift/drop of the air ride, while not having to deal with the issues it has of not lasting as long or reliability as the coilovers do most of the work the vast majority of the time.

So... is this possible? What's required if it is?

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not possible... air on coilover is def possible example.
on a ksport coilover..
hks coilover..
silkroad coilover..

its def possible, these are all universal air, air bags, they just dont fit over any coilover, the coilover has to be 2.14" in diameter on the thread, no larger.. could be wrong..havent looked at it in awhile... Bags on coilovers are the same as having regular air suspension, but you can mess around with the coilovers.. as you cant with the regular air bag strut.. The bag is just replacing the spring on the coilover.. i dont get why you want to do that, or really what your trying to do... offroad?? get a truck.... just hit the switch to raise it if you get bags..
Old 10-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Racer

Hmm... interesting...

Anyways, let me explain what I want it for. When I get my next car I'd love to lower it, but in the summer I do a lot of spur of the moment driving out in the middle of nowhere on a lot of dirt roads and whatnot that wouldn't exactly be too friendly to a lowered car. What I was hoping for was a way to just push a button whenever I want to take one of those trips and BAM, car raises up and I'm good to go, then when I come back to the city, push a button and BAM car lowers back down and I'm good to go.

Air suspension would be perfect, but from what I've heard thus far, it doesn't last all that long and I've had some people question its performance. I figure if you can put the air suspension on top of the coilovers then you get the best of both worlds. You don't wear out the air suspension nearly as quickly since most of the time it's not being used and you still get the reliability and longevity of the coilovers.

When I heard some people mention putting an air suspension on coilovers, it didn't really sink it until today when I thought about it, so I figured I might ask and see what y'all haev to say about trying it out and if it's what I'm looking for
Old 10-30-2008, 12:14 AM
Racer

whoops, sorry I couldn't see those photos you posted when I last responded... they seem to be what I'm looking for. Your description seems to indicate these are combined products, but are there are commercially available ones? I searched but I can't find anything.

If I do get all of this and combine it all as shown in those pics, do you think it'll do what I intend it to do?

Thnx!
Old 10-30-2008, 01:29 AM
Drifting

you have to buy the coilover, then you have to buy the bag kit of uas, your still missing the point, your still going to be using air 100% of the time, all your doing is replacing the strut.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:42 AM
Racer

Hmm, so even if you have the air ride completely deflated as far as it'll go, you'll still be riding on air? Hmm... does the fact that you're not running on fully inflated bags mean it'll last any longer? Or should it last just as long regardless of how much it's inflated?
Old 10-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by vivftp
Hmm, so even if you have the air ride completely deflated as far as it'll go, you'll still be riding on air? Hmm... does the fact that you're not running on fully inflated bags mean it'll last any longer? Or should it last just as long regardless of how much it's inflated?
last just as long regardless of inflation..
Old 10-30-2008, 02:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Phrosttz0
last just as long regardless of inflation..
Well then, there goes any ecitement I had about this idea, lol

Yeah, I was hoping it'd last far longer in this configuration but if it doesn't then it makes no sense at all. Too bad...

Thanks for the help!