Trunk wont pop with dash button

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Trunk wont pop with dash button

like the title says my trunk will not pop when I press the button on the dash. It does pop when I use the button on the key fob but not the one on the dash. I have tried the switch in the glove box and that doesnt help it either. What else could it be. the trunk pop button on the dash is plugged in.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vettezilla
like the title says my trunk will not pop when I press the button on the dash. It does pop when I use the button on the key fob but not the one on the dash. I have tried the switch in the glove box and that doesnt help it either. What else could it be. the trunk pop button on the dash is plugged in.
Is there a separate fuse for the trunk release button on the dash... Could the button have just failed. Is this a common occurrence. How can I diagnose the problem because like I said the remote on the keychain will pop the trunk just the in car one will not.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
When did your trunk button stop working?

Your trunk solenoid is still functional, as you've said you can still pop the trunk with the keyfob (while the car is OFF). Your trunk button not working has NOTHING to do with your first keyfob being ... crushed.

Pull down the lower dash panel (panel beneath the steering wheel) .. this is the one that has the trunk button on it. You can see behind the button is a white or black plug that has two pins in it. You can disconnect the plug, and either using a circuit tester or a piece of solid core (not braided) 12 or 14 gauge wire (like phone wire) complete the circuit (i.e. put one end in one slot and the other in the other slot) and see if the trunk pops. If it does, then your button is defective and the wiring to the BECU (body electronic control unit) is fine.

If it does not pop, then perhaps there's something further wrong at the BECU level.

lemme know

There is not a separate fuse for the trunk button.

Could the button have just failed, i guess so.

It it common? We're starting to see what is more and more common in terms of failing parts in the 2004 TL everyday as they cars age with time.... this is a first for me in terms of reading about a trunk button not working.

How often would you switch on/off the security/valet switch in the glovebox? Could THAT switch be defective .. and your dash trunk button is forever now in the "valet" mode..?
The following users liked this post:
Raptor_Cat (12-28-2012)
Old 03-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
It's the valet switch. Open your glove, push the switch down on the upper left corner.
The following users liked this post:
Raptor_Cat (12-28-2012)
Old 03-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Majofo
It's the valet switch. Open your glove, push the switch down on the upper left corner.
Ive tried the switch in both positions both with no luck... Ill have to test the button.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:59 PM

it sounds like P gave you the next step.

Pull the panel for both switches. First the release button panel. Check for continuity when you press the button [assuming button is normally open]. If the switch works then check the valet switch for continuity. Somewhere along the lines a malfunc relay could be at issue. Anything more.. is a headache.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Majofo
it sounds like P gave you the next step.

Pull the panel for both switches. First the release button panel. Check for continuity when you press the button [assuming button is normally open]. If the switch works then check the valet switch for continuity. Somewhere along the lines a malfunc relay could be at issue. Anything more.. is a headache.

Where are the relays located...
Old 03-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Safety Car

Multiplex Integrated Control Unit -- which is integrated (duh) in the driver's side main fuse box. Drop the lower dash and you'll see a huge collection of wire bundles and harnesses plugged into it.

I would think switch problem over MICU problem, as your keyfob is obviously energizing the appropriate trunk solenoid relay and the solenoid is obviously working. But then again, what do i know.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Instructor

i found out what the problem was and your all going to laugh.... the trunk release button was unplugged. I checked that too but i guess it just must have been not plugged in all the way. Thanks to all for your help/input.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Safety Car

well done! i wonder how it possibly became unplugged, anyone do any aftermarket electrical work recently? Any reason for someone to drop the lower dash?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:32 PM

i found out what the problem was and your all going to laugh.... the trunk release button was unplugged. I checked that too but i guess it just must have been not plugged in all the way. Thanks to all for your help/input.
- glad to hear it was simple..

I've heard of guys saying loose fuses occurring as well. Slow down and stop autocrossing..
Old 03-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
well done! i wonder how it possibly became unplugged, anyone do any aftermarket electrical work recently? Any reason for someone to drop the lower dash?
not that i know of... i just recently bought this car. someone did install a remote start in it however.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Safety Car

Vette --

that's it... i always have to pull that trunk button when i do r/s-alarm installs on vehicles... 50% of the time i forget to re-plug it in until I do my full functional inspection and realize what i forgot to plug in. the r/s unit is usually installed by the steering column/lower dash
Old 01-20-2010, 11:40 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi everyone- I searched through the 3G TL garage and this was the thread that looked most like the issue I was having.

My trunk latch is not working and it's definitely NOT the switch in the glove compartment, I've checked that several times. I'm not having any other issues with buttons on the dash, so I'm relatively sure it's not a fuse. I did recently install the Peripheral IPOD unit and I'm thinking that has something to do with the issue. I've pulled down the lower dash panel and the unplugged/plugged in the wire for the trunk-release button several times, with no luck. (I made sure to then re-check the button in the glove compartment, but still doesn't work.)

Aside from the button itself being broken, are there any other connections I could have unplugged when installing the IPOD unit? I tried to follow the wire from the trunk button to it's next location but I get lost in a huge mess of wires.

Any advice would be appreciated, I would rather not have this button work than pay a dealer to look at this.