Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08

How many would be very interested on getting a turbo for their TL if a limited number was available.
It would be a single turbo, the boost will be around 10 PSI and it will get us no less than 300WHP.
The following users liked this post:
TL-WITA6 (10-23-2023)
Old 04-02-2009, 04:30 PM
The Kinetics of Bleu

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
DO you really think that a stock TL engine can withstand 10 pounds of boost? Also, how are you planning on modifying the ECU?
Pte. Jerry L. (10-22-2011)
Old 04-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tladvanced
do you really think that a stock tl engine can withstand 10 pounds of boost? Also, how are you planning on modifying the ecu?
+1
Old 04-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Instructor

In about 3 weeks when mine will be completely finish I'll post a video and the TL owners in Atlanta will have a chance to fully inspect mine. The ECU is being re flash, while the map is being upgrade to a 3 bars and I meant to say no more than 10PSI
Old 04-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Disturbin' The Peace!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like a good idea, but weve been through this a million times. Can you give us more info on your specific setup? Cost, size/type of turbo, and who is flashing the ECU? Is it going to be a tunable based flash or is it set from the person/company doing the flash?
Old 04-02-2009, 05:05 PM
1st TL-S on air in

what supporting mods will be needed and is this for a base or type-s setup.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Advanced

What EM would you use? How would you control timing, a/f? What MAP sensor would you use? Who would develop a base map to work off of?

Piecing a turbo kit together is the easy part... It's tuning and EM that is hindering TL owners from boosting.
Plus I think 10lb is pushing it, maybe safe at 6-8lbs with some higher cc injectors and maybe a walboro 342 or something
Old 04-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Needs wheels

well this sounds like reason enough for an ATL meet soon
Old 04-02-2009, 07:37 PM
I have car ADD

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
i wanna know, where the hell you putting the turbo?? since we dont have traditional exhaust headers, it makes for a tough custom fab IMO
Old 04-02-2009, 07:37 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
ditto
Old 04-02-2009, 07:46 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
actually fabbing the turbo is nothing at all
actually you can easily fit a gt35 in the battery location, the problem will rise when you try to run intercooler tubing... unless you get a half sized rad and run the intercooler next to the rad you are going to be in for some major problems....

as for reflashing the ecu I will believe it when I see it
BoogerJ615 (09-24-2020)
Old 04-02-2009, 08:19 PM
A Black TL

I would be really cool to see a turbo on a TL, but your motor, or tranny isn't going to last
Old 04-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
actually fabbing the turbo is nothing at all
actually you can easily fit a gt35 in the battery location, the problem will rise when you try to run intercooler tubing... unless you get a half sized rad and run the intercooler next to the rad you are going to be in for some major problems....

as for reflashing the ecu I will believe it when I see it
+1. We've all heard the, "I've got a re-flashed ECU" story, and all of them have pretty much failed to be something tunable without losing major features.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:55 PM
SC TL to RS4 to 911

So just wondering are you doing all this in your garage or did you find a tuner shop to take on this project? Or do you work in one? if so which one? I know most of tuner shops around atlanta so just wondering?

Also who is doing the re-flash?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OP, can you tell us more about the setup? I would be interested but like everyone already posted, how are you remapping the ecu?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I just love these threads. Everyone ask the standard thousand questions and the OP is nowhere to be found on this thread for weeks and then it goes to the thread graveyard only to be resurrected by a noob.

OP prove us wrong and show us your set up early production pics something !!!!
Old 04-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RonJonTL757
I just love these threads. Everyone ask the standard thousand questions and the OP is nowhere to be found on this thread for weeks and then it goes to the thread graveyard only to be resurrected by a noob.

OP prove us wrong and show us your set up early production pics something !!!!
+1. or at least a parts list of what turbo, housing, a/r, what injectors, etc...
Old 04-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Instructor

When you open the hood you won't see nothing but a pipe. Basically the turbo is located at the place of the 3rd cat, and the exhaust will feed it. From there will go the pipe that will go to the intake and the turbo oil return pump is located in the trunk. There is a plastic cover by the 3rd cat that we are thinking of moving to relocate the turbo oil return pump. Of course the fuel will be boosted
So this take care of the set up and since I've been looking for a body kit, unless I tell you about it, no one will know.
The set up was complete the car started, and it sounded like a supercharge.
So far the T3 turbo from Precision Turbo, the custom pipe, and labor, I have spend about $2,5 k.
The mapping is being taking care of and believe me when I SAY THAT THE CAR WILL RUN. We are using a Greddy E-management to retard the timing by ??degrees.
This step up has been done many times before and you could find it on 02 SS Camaro, Corvette and others and by the way to an Acura Legend by putting a bi-turbo by swapping the headers around, something that for years people were saying it could not be done.
Today this set up was complete in a 2002 Nissan Maxima and baby is sweet.
So for everything we are looking at 3k.
So now I let you guys into my secret and as I said earlier you'll see it in about 3 weeks.
Those that are interested, start saving your pennies and dimes and I will get over 300WHP or I will never post in this forum ever again.
Anthony3 (08-25-2012)
Old 04-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by banelba
When you open the hood you won't see nothing but a pipe. Basically the turbo is located at the place of the 3rd cat, and the exhaust will feed it. From there will go the pipe that will go to the intake and the turbo oil return pump is located in the trunk. There is a plastic cover by the 3rd cat that we are thinking of moving to relocate the turbo oil return pump. Of course the fuel will be boosted
So this take care of the set up and since I've been looking for a body kit, unless I tell you about it, no one will know.
So far the T3 turbo from Precision Turbo, the custom pipe, and labor, I have spend about $2,5 k.
The mapping is being taking care of and believe me when I SAY THAT THE CAR WILL RUN. We are using a Greddy E-management to retard the timing by ??degrees.
This step up has been done many times before and you could find it on 02 SS Camaro, Corvette and others and by the way to an Acura Legend by putting a bi-turbo by swapping the headers around, something that for years people were saying it could not be done.
So now I let you guys into my secret and as I said earlier you'll see it in about 3 weeks.
Those that are interested, start saving your pennies and dimes and I will get over 300WHP or I will never post in this forum ever again.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:23 PM
SC TL to RS4 to 911

I just want to know what shop your doing this at...
Forged Performance? Mainstream Performance? Top Speed? Mahdavi Motorsports? Knowledge Peformance? LOL
Old 04-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Instructor

None of those. Actually it's in the south and my main man name is Ritch
Old 04-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
when you open the hood you won't see nothing but a pipe. Basically the turbo is located at the place of the 3rd cat, and the exhaust will feed it. From there will go the pipe that will go to the intake and the turbo oil return pump is located in the trunk. There is a plastic cover by the 3rd cat that we are thinking of moving to relocate the turbo oil return pump. Of course the fuel will be boosted
so this take care of the set up and since i've been looking for a body kit, unless i tell you about it, no one will know.
So far the t3 turbo from precision turbo, the custom pipe, and labor, i have spend about $2,5 k.
The mapping is being taking care of and believe me when i say that the car will run. We are using a greddy e-management to retard the timing by ??degrees.
This step up has been done many times before and you could find it on 02 ss camaro, corvette and others and by the way to an acura legend by putting a bi-turbo by swapping the headers around, something that for years people were saying it could not be done.
Today this set up was complete in a 2002 nissan maxima and baby is sweet.
So now i let you guys into my secret and as i said earlier you'll see it in about 3 weeks.
Those that are interested, start saving your pennies and dimes and i will get over 300whp or i will never post in this forum ever again.
respect!!!
Old 04-03-2009, 01:06 AM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
sorry, working on my own similar setup that will easily push close to 500whp to the ground. Will take a bit more work but not too much more money.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:26 AM
I have car ADD

Sounds to me like an STS universal turbo kit.... been contemplated by others, but seriously, who the f* wants their turbo UNDER the car.... wrong speed bump... BAMN... or dirt and sand might get in the turbine...

If you are dead ass about doing this, and may or may not have already installed it.... You should probably tune the car with the AEM FI/C 1910 box... I have another thread talking about this...

Honestly, everybody says they're gonna do it, and people always talk.. i was always saying i am gonna put the s/c' on the type-s and i still havent.... BUT, i am working on getting an FI/C hooked up to my car, and see the tuning capabilites and parameters available for the 3G ECU... i dont intend to make TOO much power with an N/A tune, but if all goes successful, i WILL boost my car... but by means of the s/c

OP... why dont you just buy a used comptech blower?/ $3k ish... bolts on... 110% instant gratification... no custom fabbing.... people on here have made above and beyond 300whp with this blower

Highest pull, on stock internals, was type-s09.. i think he made 327whp...

USSI, has a 3.5L stroker, and i think he was making over 350-360whp
Old 04-03-2009, 01:27 AM
Instructor

Front wheels drive with 500 WHP, daily driver, is more than what i want to handle
Old 04-03-2009, 01:30 AM
Instructor

You seem to forget one thing. I CHOOSE TO GO FOR THIS SET UP
Old 04-03-2009, 01:31 AM
I have car ADD

Originally Posted by Xiomaro
sorry, working on my own similar setup that will easily push close to 500whp to the ground. Will take a bit more work but not too much more money.
Sorry Dude.. i wont get into this too much, too detailed... but there is NO WAY IN THE WORLD , you can have this car make 500whp, without spending well over $10k on rebuilding the engine, insanely upgraded transmission (MUST BE A 6MT)... new axles in the front, upgraded driveshaft, completely NEW engine (3.7L stroker, forged internals, much upgraded fuel system, intercooler.... etc.... ... and some how be able to get the compression to 10.1 or LESS

if you can have this car make 500whp on a tight budget, i will GIVE you my ride
Old 04-03-2009, 02:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
Sounds to me like an STS universal turbo kit.... been contemplated by others, but seriously, who the f* wants their turbo UNDER the car.... wrong speed bump... BAMN... or dirt and sand might get in the turbine...

If you are dead ass about doing this, and may or may not have already installed it.... You should probably tune the car with the AEM FI/C 1910 box... I have another thread talking about this...

Honestly, everybody says they're gonna do it, and people always talk.. i was always saying i am gonna put the s/c' on the type-s and i still havent.... BUT, i am working on getting an FI/C hooked up to my car, and see the tuning capabilites and parameters available for the 3G ECU... i dont intend to make TOO much power with an N/A tune, but if all goes successful, i WILL boost my car... but by means of the s/c

OP... why dont you just buy a used comptech blower?/ $3k ish... bolts on... 110% instant gratification... no custom fabbing.... people on here have made above and beyond 300whp with this blower

Highest pull, on stock internals, was type-s09.. i think he made 327whp...

USSI, has a 3.5L stroker, and i think he was making over 350-360whp
Damn.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:51 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
Good luck fellas.

Less typing, and more wrenching will be a key to your success.

And, pictures tell a thousand words.

The following 2 users liked this post by ACCURATEin:
Acura TL Builder (06-25-2019), doneACCORDingly (12-15-2011)
Old 04-03-2009, 06:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Sorry Dude.. i wont get into this too much, too detailed... but there is NO WAY IN THE WORLD , you can have this car make 500whp, without spending well over $10k on rebuilding the engine, insanely upgraded transmission (MUST BE A 6MT)... new axles in the front, upgraded driveshaft, completely NEW engine (3.7L stroker, forged internals, much upgraded fuel system, intercooler.... etc.... ... and some how be able to get the compression to 10.1 or LESS

amen
Old 04-03-2009, 07:01 AM
Needs wheels

Originally Posted by Xiomaro
Old 04-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Nothing is Impossible...

Respect!!!

Get it done and SHUT IT DOWN...

10 Years ago... "they" said a FWD 4-Cyl car couldn't break 8 second 1/4 mile...
Old 04-03-2009, 08:33 AM
SC TL to RS4 to 911

None of those. Actually it's in the south and my main man name is Ritch
haha, I'm now wondering if its in Henry or Clayton...maybe even Macon..bc I can see those shops down there taking on a project like this, I always say there are some crazy tuners down there in Stockbridge/morrow area...Good luck and we all in ATL can't wait for you to come up and show her off!
Old 04-03-2009, 08:36 AM
SC TL to RS4 to 911

LOL, I'll give you my RS4 also!

Old 04-03-2009, 09:15 AM
2009 g37s 6mt

Originally Posted by CS-SuperchargedTL

and my car...
Old 04-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Everyone shouldn't argue about on another doings for there car. Its there car, maybe just maybe they will succeed in making a turbo for the car or even "500 WHP" which I seriously doubt, but

Show proof, videos, pictures, and everything in between!
Old 04-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CS-SuperchargedTL

I'm drawing up a Contract... Please PM me your Government names and address so my Lawyer can send to you for signing...

It's possible... $10K to $15K worth of work MAX...
Old 04-03-2009, 11:19 AM
I have car ADD

The OP, can probably make the STS kit work in his car, for a 300~ whp range...

but 500whp, will not happen for less than $10k... unless you put like a 250 shot of NOS in the car which i don even think they make
Old 04-03-2009, 11:20 AM
2008 335i e92 6MT

damn this project sounds sick... again much respect... especially being a pioneer for this and posting your story on azine....

good luckk man

and too 500 whp?
if you can make it happen more power to ya... but if we got people blowing engines with only 5 psi of boost making around 300+ whp... x_X doesn't look so good man. but good luck anyways.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:20 AM
2009 g37s 6mt

The OP, can probably make the STS kit work in his car, for a 300~ whp range...

but 500whp, will not happen for less than $10k... unless you put like a 250 shot of NOS in the car which i don even think they make
in this case, the ct kit is a better buy, 3k range used...

Quick Reply: Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08