Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season Recall

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 01:53 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season Recall

Purchased 235/45ZR17 Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season tires last June and progressively the tire noise got worse and worse. Tires are cupping horribly now even though I had the alignment done after installation. Just got off the phone with tirerack who said they had a memo come in today to replace all of them with either the Goodyear Eagle GT or Dunlop Signatures. They are also going to credit customers $100 for installation costs. If you have a set get them replaced..........worst tire I have ever had. All of the great reviews must have been within the first 5k miles because I'm at about 15k and they are junk. The sound rivals that of an offroad jacked up truck.

You do have to purchase the new tires but are refunded as soon as you send back the old tires which you are given an RA for. The customer service rep said that they have been getting call after call on these tires and how bad they cup.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:22 PM
10th Gear

Got a little more clarification from Tirerack. This is not an all out recall. It's considered a "silent" recall as the customer service rep stated. Goodyear is taking care of the customers who call in and complain about it otherwise they are doing nothing to notify customers. The $100 is for customer accomodation and is also for the shipment back to tirerack. Not sure how companies other than tirerack are handling this. Even though I'm getting a downgraded tire, I'm still happy.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Unshunned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so who do you need to call to get an RA started, goodyear or the store you bought them from? I bought mine at a local store.

I've noticed mine are really loud as well, have been for a while. Do we just get to swap tires out to new ones at no cost?
Old 04-16-2009, 03:30 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
good informative thread
Old 04-16-2009, 04:03 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by berzerker
so who do you need to call to get an RA started, goodyear or the store you bought them from? I bought mine at a local store.

I've noticed mine are really loud as well, have been for a while. Do we just get to swap tires out to new ones at no cost?
I'm really not sure about that since I only dealt directly with Tirerack. I would go into the store you got them from and say your tires are cupping bad and that there is a recall on them. Explain what tirerack did for me and they may call Goodyear to get the latest. The customer service rep I dealt with said good thing you called today because if you would have called yesterday I would have told you you're sh!t out of luck. This just came about today so I'm sure many companies are still unaware. Anybody should be able to get theirs replaced for free pending the shipment back of your old tires. It does suck that we have to front the money but it's still worth it.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The F1 AS was on my short list when I was shopping for UHP AS tires.

Glad I didn't get them...
Old 04-17-2009, 12:12 AM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What if we got our tires off the BM?
Old 04-17-2009, 05:13 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ifirahse
What if we got our tires off the BM?
Not sure what your options are. I would call up Goodyear @ (330) 796-2121. That's their corporate headquarters number. Or you can submit a question to them through the "contact us" link at the top of their website.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:08 PM
3rd Gear

Just contacted Goodyear direct today they arranged for Discount tire to check out tires and then authorized a 50% discount on the Eagle GT .To replace the 4 Eagle F1 that were deterioating ,not to mention the extremely loud noise.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:20 AM
Intermediate

that sucks i was looking at some 19inch wheels with those exact tires. eagle f1 235-35-19 that were driven on for 6,000 miles, I really want the wheels, he asking 1800. But now with this known defect what should i offer? He's not willing to seperate. I read some reviews and it seems around 10k they go bad. I would like to get 20k out of them if possible.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:06 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
They are indeed, very noisy. My "other" 3G TL had them and we just removed them about three weeks ago because of the tremendous noise. And yes, they did have uneven wear patterns.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:34 AM
Unshunned

Originally Posted by pennst8
Just contacted Goodyear direct today they arranged for Discount tire to check out tires and then authorized a 50% discount on the Eagle GT .To replace the 4 Eagle F1 that were deterioating ,not to mention the extremely loud noise.
what kind of mileage did you have on these tires?

I just checked my records and I have nearly 27k on my tires, purchase the end of Dec 07. I didn't think I had them for that long. With that many miles on them, I doubt they'd be inclined to help me - not sure if it's even worth my time calling GoodYear.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:33 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
They are indeed, very noisy. My "other" 3G TL had them and we just removed them about three weeks ago because of the tremendous noise. And yes, they did have uneven wear patterns.
Lets just say that the cupping was so bad on mine that you could feel every single cup at idling speed...........it was recockulous. I thought I had a bad wheel bearing at first. Then I thought it was warped rotors. The entire suspension even felt like it was on it's last leg. Had the tires replaced yesterday and wow what a difference. No more tire noise or weak suspension. I had no idea tires could make a car that bad. My brother used to work at discount tire(now a honda tech) a while back and he laughed saying just wait a few thousand miles and those GTs will begin to do the same thing. He will never buy Goodyear tires based on his experience with them. He did a runout test on the brand new GT tires and one of them wasn't even within spec. Goodyear must have some great QC
Old 04-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Racer

With that many miles on them, I doubt they'd be inclined to help me...
I just went through Tire Rack and they didn't ask how many miles I had on the tires. Not a bad deal at all; free replacement tires plus $100 when my tread was down to the last 25% or so.

Can't hurt to call Goodyear or your tire store and ask. The worst they can say is no.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:40 AM
10th Gear

what kind of mileage did you have on these tires?

I just checked my records and I have nearly 27k on my tires, purchase the end of Dec 07. I didn't think I had them for that long. With that many miles on them, I doubt they'd be inclined to help me - not sure if it's even worth my time calling GoodYear.
The rep I spoke with at Tirerack said that they would replace the tires at no cost as long as there was at least 3/32 left.

50% is better than nothing but still sucks they wouldn't replace the F1s at no cost especially since the GTs are about $40 cheaper a tire. They accept that their F1s are horrible quality and have issues yet they still make you pay.....wtf
Old 04-21-2009, 07:39 PM
3rd Gear

Made a followup call to Goodyear today asking them to match the Tire Rack deal instead of the 50% off deal and they agreed.The rep called Discount Tire to arrange the no cost deal.I am really happy that Goodyear was so helpful and responsive ,i just hope the GT's are quiet!!
Old 04-21-2009, 09:27 PM
3rd Gear

Made a followup call to Goodyear today asking them to match the Tire Rack deal instead of the 50% off deal and they agreed.The rep called Discount Tire to arrange the no cost deal.I am really happy that Goodyear was so helpful and responsive ,i just hope the GT's are quiet!!
Forgot to thank extremeaudio44 for the heads up on the Tire Rack deal
Thanks!!!!
Old 04-21-2009, 10:28 PM
Intermediate

do you have to be the original owner of the tires? and have orginial receipt to get the replacement for fee? I plan on buying used wheels with these tires on them.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Racer

Forgot to thank extremeaudio44 for the heads up on the Tire Rack deal
Thanks!!!!
+1 from me. Thank you!

Here's the text of the email I got from Tire Rack authorizing the return:
"Dear Mr. D,

Thank you for your call and for placing a new order today.

Under a special accommodation from Goodyear, the Eagle F1 All Season tires you purchased from the Tire Rack in November 2007 are returnable for full credit.

· Purchase eligible replacement tires in the Goodyear Eagle tire line from the Tire Rack
· Tread depth of the original tires must be 2/32” or above
· Please provide the VIN# from the vehicle the tires were installed on.
· They cannot have any damage from mounting or dismounting
· Original tires must be returned at your expense to:

The Tire Rack
RA# xxxxx
7101 Vorden Parkway
South Bend, IN 46628

When tires are received back into our warehouse you will receive the full price of the original tires in addition to $100.00 compensation to help offset the return freight and mount and balance of the new tires."
I need to call tomorrow to get the address of the Delaware warehouse since that's the location closest to me.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:23 AM
10th Gear

Very nice! That's more like it. When my brother finished putting the tires on, I saw some other Honda techs laughing and they all said yeah good luck with the GTs, they'll be singing soon. Not what I wanted to hear but I highly doubt they can even come close to what the POS F1 All Seasons did.

If anybody has F1 All Seasons on their car try and get them replaced asap.....you won't believe how incredibly bad they get. Those tires are destined for a high school running track.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:46 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
maybe this is why I've seen the price of the eagle f1 a/s drop
Old 04-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Instructor

Weird i must have gotten the only 4 good ones Mine are fine, bought them last september or so.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:20 AM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
Glad to hear they are finally correcting this. I had the F1s and the cupped within 14k miles and it sounded like I was driving a semi. I went through hoops trying to get goodyear to give me credit back on them. That was back in the Nov-Dec time frame.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:39 PM
10th Gear

Wow, I am so glad I found this thread. I've had my 235/35/19s since Dec 07. They ride horrible and its getting worse. I'm calling Tirerack first thing tomorrow. This may save me about $800. Fingers crossed.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:02 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
I'm on my 2nd set and am as happy as with them ever. The only noise I've ever experienced is within the last few thousand miles of their life and even then, it wasn't that overbearing.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:04 PM
10th Gear

I called tirerack today and confirmed this recall. I want to confirm my tread depth before I order but they made it sound like that was a soft requirement. I'll be putting my order in on Monday. Thanks again to the OP.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I just called customer service as well and ordered the Eagle GT's at the rack in 245/40/18. I can only send in 3 of 4 tires back to them as I had a flat repair on one of the tires which voids the warranty on that 1 tire. Still for $135 for the one new tire and the $100 credit in the end, I'll have a new set of tires that are supposed to be quieter longer throughout their lifespan. Hopefully the Eagle GT shouldn't have the balancing/vibration issues associated with the F1 A/S that I had with mine from day one.

BTW, their Customer Service is awesome.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Free replacement?
Old 04-27-2009, 11:14 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Selim'sTL
Free replacement?
Yes, you do have to pay shipping back to Tirerack but they give $100 towards shipping and mounting expenses. Very good deal.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:41 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Just spoke with Goodyear customer service. There is NO GENERAL RECALL on these tires. What's going on they say is Tirerack specific, largely due to impropery maintained vehicles and use of wheel sizes over and above what the car was designed for.

Like I said in a previous thread, the most common tire and wheel complaints on this forum have always been from those with 19 and 20 inch wheels. I have the original 17" wheels the car came with and still stand firmly by the Eagle F1 A/S's. Better still, my tire dealer, Mavis Discount Tire, stands by me. I've always believed tires are one of those things you buy from the same place that installs them. That way, there's only one entity to deal with if there's ever a problem.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:07 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
Just spoke with Goodyear customer service. There is NO GENERAL RECALL on these tires. What's going on they say is Tirerack specific, largely due to impropery maintained vehicles and use of wheel sizes over and above what the car was designed for.

Well, that's what any good corp talking head would say, right? "Not our fault, but hey, we're being good to our customers and giving them new tires and a $100".

. If GY didn't have a problem, they wouldn't give a free set of tires and a $100 to dozens or hundreds (or thousands?) of buyers.

Sounds a lot like what Ford and Firestone told Explorer owners a few years back - "There's nothing wrong, so we don't need a recall. Honest."

Obviously not limited to ONLY incorrect tire sizes since the OP in this thread was running stock size 17's.

When these tries hit the market, the looked great on paper and in early tests, and I'm glad I didn't need replacements back then because they've turned out to be losers. You don't hear this level of complaints and issues with any of the other tires commonly discussed here.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
I was running stock tires as well and mine went bad and all 4 tires cupped within 14k miles.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Advanced

Thumbs up thank you

I just got off the phone with TireRack and I'll be sending my tires back also. Their customer service was very helpful.....hopefully everything will work out.

I purchased the Dunlop SP Sport Signature tires. Hopefully they'll be quieter than the Goodyears.

THANK YOU FOR THIS POST!! (I would never have thought to do this)

Old 04-28-2009, 10:36 PM
10th Gear

Question

Originally Posted by ExpensiveWino32
I just got off the phone with TireRack and I'll be sending my tires back also. Their customer service was very helpful.....hopefully everything will work out.

I purchased the Dunlop SP Sport Signature tires. Hopefully they'll be quieter than the Goodyears.

THANK YOU FOR THIS POST!! (I would never have thought to do this)

I thought you had to place these with Goodyears to get them replaced for free.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:30 AM
Advanced

According to the Tirerack rep-- I could replace them with either Goodyears OR Dunlops. (It sounded like Dunlops are made by Goodyear?.?) Regardless, after my experience with the Goodyears, I decided to go with the Dunlop tires recommended by the Tirerack tech I spoke to.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:32 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by edstein
I thought you had to place these with Goodyears to get them replaced for free.
According to the Tirerack rep-- I could replace them with either Goodyears OR Dunlops. (It sounded like Dunlops are made by Goodyear?.?) Regardless, after my experience with the Goodyears, I decided to go with the Dunlop tires recommended by the Tirerack tech I spoke to.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:29 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by DMZ

Like I said in a previous thread, the most common tire and wheel complaints on this forum have always been from those with 19 and 20 inch wheels. I have the original 17" wheels the car came with and still stand firmly by the Eagle F1 A/S's. Better still, my tire dealer, Mavis Discount Tire, stands by me. I've always believed tires are one of those things you buy from the same place that installs them. That way, there's only one entity to deal with if there's ever a problem.
I specifically stated that this was referred to as a "silent recall" and not an all out publicly announced recall. I have the stock 17" wheels and always maintain my vehicle with proper tire rotations, making sure the tires are aired up to spec and having the alignment within spec. I don't doubt that a lot of the issues people have are due to improper maintenance but man, you must have some Goodyear stock or something because if you had my tires you would be pissed. I didn't spend over $500 on tires to not maintain them. It isn't just Tirerack either..........if you read further up, another member called up Goodyear directly and was able to have new tires put on at a Discount tire for no cost. You should probably buy a lottery ticket because 2 sets with no issues is quite lucky as I'm finding out. I'm not here to start some flaming war, just trying to be informative to other fellow members.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:58 PM
10th Gear

I got my order put in today but my size is not in stock. The Eagle GT and the Dunlops are not available in 235/35/19 so I had go with the Eagle F1 All Season again. Both Tire Rack and Goodyear have assured me that the problems have been solved. I guess time will tell. I can't complain too much since they are replacing them for free.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:45 AM
10th Gear

Sent back my F1 tires Wednesday and had a credit issued Thursday. Tirerack is on it.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
That's great news. Now if only BFG would do the same with their KDW-2s. It sounded like I had a mud tire on there, had to yell to talk to passengers. Had 3 alignments but they still cupped. I could feel the vibrations through the floor at parking lot speeds.

Quick Reply: Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season Recall