This is how to run a sri!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is how to run a sri!

So their is alot of talk of SRI not doing anything. I live in Canada and I got a SRI for that reason. K&N Dyno's their typhoon kit as a SRI and CAI which the kit can be coverted for both. My SRI is awesome, provides alot better throttle response from the stock sluggish unit, and provides a little more power and agressive sound. To prevent the heat from entering the filtre, I installed a customer heat shield. It prevents the air that is hot from floating around at the top of the engine, and now it only sucks from the resonator tubing that is drawn from the bottom of the car.

Product is great!

Old 09-01-2009, 09:45 PM
hates potatoville

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where did you get this from? I want a CAI but when it rains here it really pours so it's not a good idea for me.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
the resonator is a maze of tubing for the air to travel from one end to the other... if you aren't going to run a full CAI, i would still remove the resonator so that so more air can be drawn in thru the fenderwell...
Old 09-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Ebay sells k&n intakes at a decent price and the k & n kits can convert from a sri to a cai. The heat shield is also from ebay and works really well.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
You're never going to get it. I give up. I'm sure a piece of metal near the filter is really going to knock down temps. I guarantee it did nothing.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:57 PM
A Happily Modded TL-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
not bad! but custom FTW!

Old 09-02-2009, 10:18 PM
Burning Brakes

thats pretty sick...i hate cars, your never going to give up the "im right about everything attitude" just chill it and let me have my fun
Old 09-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by davewhodavedunn
thats pretty sick...i hate cars, your never going to give up the "im right about everything attitude" just chill it and let me have my fun
Have your fun but it's a total waste of money. You're changing something for the sake of change. I don't have the I'm right about everything attitude, you've just used poor judgment in nearly every post you're made. I'm not going to stand by with all the misinformation around here. It's bad for the board and for the people wanting to make extra power.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Burning Brakes

The K&N Kit which comes as a SRI and CAI are both rated at 5.5 Horsepower. As you may think it's a hot air intake, keep in my the air from from the CAI filtre lies is as hot, if not hotter on the summer roads as it would be in the engine. In the winter also, if the filtre gets wet, it freezes...regardless, last time I check you didnt make performance parts for a living. Just because one person has a STRONG opinion on something doesnt mean they need to FORCE it on others. Im done with this nosense...
Old 09-03-2009, 12:21 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
the gains you feel are from having a better flowing filter, but indeed ur still sucking in hot air... just touch this "heatshield" when you get a chance... one made of plastic would have made more sense... blue got the full and on point idea for an icebox style
Old 09-03-2009, 02:16 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Have your fun but it's a total waste of money. You're changing something for the sake of change. I don't have the I'm right about everything attitude, you've just used poor judgment in nearly every post you're made. I'm not going to stand by with all the misinformation around here. It's bad for the board and for the people wanting to make extra power.
i hate this topic too, theres a new one every day. ill say it till i die, SRI is useless, only time i EVER see SRI's are on v8 trucks. my 5.7l jeep has one, but the filter is directly behind the grill, and its a good distance away from the engine.

on the TL its different, the battery blocks that flow...

The K&N Kit which comes as a SRI and CAI are both rated at 5.5 Horsepower. As you may think it's a hot air intake, keep in my the air from from the CAI filtre lies is as hot, if not hotter on the summer roads as it would be in the engine. In the winter also, if the filtre gets wet, it freezes...regardless, last time I check you didnt make performance parts for a living. Just because one person has a STRONG opinion on something doesnt mean they need to FORCE it on others. Im done with this nosense...
please, give me a break. do u know how easy it is to rig dyno numbers? i can put a SRI on my car and make it dyno over 300

hes not the only person that has a strong hate for SRI, many of us do.

Originally Posted by stillhere153
the gains you feel are from having a better flowing filter, but indeed ur still sucking in hot air... just touch this "heatshield" when you get a chance... one made of plastic would have made more sense... blue got the full and on point idea for an icebox style
+100000000000000
Old 09-03-2009, 07:06 AM
Team Owner

Dave- I have nothing against you. Just trying to save someone from making the same mistakes that I have in the past. The negatives of an SRI are well known, you're just getting into the mod world so you're not expected to know everything. It just seems like you ask for advice and then do your own thing. Nothing personal. Shortening the intake tract and putting a large cone filter will do nothing when the engine pulls only 300CFM and the stock in take tract will flow 500CFM. I don't know a nice way to say this but I'm not giving you an opinion. It is a fact.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:10 AM
Team Owner

You may be surprised to hear that I run what you could call a SRI on the GN but there's a reason for this. I have a massive 48"x18x2 intercooler so underhood heating isn't a big concern.

In my application I need roughly 1,200+ CFM of airflow and it would've required a 6" diameter pipe after the filter to pull fresh air in. Hell, with a 9" K&N it tried to collapse the filter so I had to go with a 14". In my case the less restriction of the SRI outweighed the advantages of cooler air. On top of that, the car pulls so much air in when you hit it that I watch the inlet air drop down to ambient as if I had a CAI anyway.

So you see, I'm not close minded but I know the TL's measly 300CFM does not require a SRI and you will get much more benefit out of the factory semi-cold air intake or an aftermarket CAI.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Being in the engine bay is going to be hot, no working around that. I don't know if asphalt or concrete on a summer day is going to be hotter than your engine bay, especially while your moving.

The increase you feel is in your ears. The growl has a mind over matter affect on the brain.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by KN_TL
Being in the engine bay is going to be hot, no working around that. I don't know if asphalt or concrete on a summer day is going to be hotter than your engine bay, especially while your moving.

The increase you feel is in your ears. The growl has a mind over matter affect on the brain.
That's exactly what it is. And for the better throttle response, you're hearing the throttle open which is probably the quickest DBW throttle I've ever driven. There's still that split second delay before the engine reacts though. It's just the noise that makes it seem quicker/more responsive.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:46 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
BTW, I have a CAI and I consider it a waste of +200.00 for just noise. I've also got the spacers installed, another $100 wasted.

But I was just starting out and still learning. I'm not going to get defensive just because other people are denying what some marketer is telling us should be true. People have been debating and proving that a lot of K&N claims are untrue.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
That's exactly what it is. And for the better throttle response, you're hearing the throttle open which is probably the quickest DBW throttle I've ever driven. There's still that split second delay before the engine reacts though. It's just the noise that makes it seem quicker/more responsive.
X's a million to infinity and beyond... i was so used to the responsiveness of the TL throttle that when i bought the GS, i thought something was wrong with the car... the GS has about a 1 sec delay when going to WOT whereas i can noticable feel the TL WOT responding almost instantly...

Toyota must have improved the system tho, because the DBW in the Corolla is a bit better... but still not as good at the TL... '01 GS < '07 Corolla < '07 TL from the cars in my fleet...