Weird XM radio problem - cut out until stop/start car

Old 12-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Weird XM radio problem - cut out until stop/start car

Weird problem while going to work today. Car has only 5600 miles. I was listening to XM and went under a SERIES of overpasses. XM cut out as expected but when I cleared the last overpass it started to stuttered and I would expect it to resume back fully. But this time, after the brief stutter, it cuts out totally.

Everything on the panel is displayed properly even as new songs get played, the titles change, etc. However, nothing comes out of the speaker. I tried adjusting the volume knob on the center console and the volume buttons on the wheel. Nothing. However, AM and FM worked fine.

I waited 30-45 mins. (I have a long commute) thinking that there was some sort of XM problem and it would clear itself. Nothing. It was only when I stopped at a rest stop where I shut the car off and turn it back on that XM audio came back.

I did renew for a year over the weekend but I doubt this is due to the XM home office as a "reboot" of the car fixed it.

Has this happened to anyone before? This is a first for me. I know that everything is computer driven so I was wondering if there was a software hiccup somewhere.

Any ideas and should I be concerned? I tried doing a search and couldn't find any similar posts.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Kingmeow
Weird problem while going to work today. Car has only 5600 miles. I was listening to XM and went under a SERIES of overpasses. XM cut out as expected but when I cleared the last overpass it started to stuttered and I would expect it to resume back fully. But this time, after the brief stutter, it cuts out totally.

Everything on the panel is displayed properly even as new songs get played, the titles change, etc. However, nothing comes out of the speaker. I tried adjusting the volume knob on the center console and the volume buttons on the wheel. Nothing. However, AM and FM worked fine.

I waited 30-45 mins. (I have a long commute) thinking that there was some sort of XM problem and it would clear itself. Nothing. It was only when I stopped at a rest stop where I shut the car off and turn it back on that XM audio came back.

I did renew for a year over the weekend but I doubt this is due to the XM home office as a "reboot" of the car fixed it.

Has this happened to anyone before? This is a first for me. I know that everything is computer driven so I was wondering if there was a software hiccup somewhere.

Any ideas and should I be concerned? I tried doing a search and couldn't find any similar posts.

I would not worry about it unless it does it again.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I think so. I just got off the phone with my brother who has a M3 and it has happened to him too (he has Sirius). Frequency is about once a year and even turning off/on the radio wouldn't cure it. You need to shut off your car. Exact same symptom and remedy that I experienced.

So I asked him what he did since when it happens he's left with silence until he finds a rest stop. He starts laughing and said "Every heard of FM?" Man, we are spoiled aren't we?

BTW, we both laugh at the end saying so in addition to PCs, we now reboot our cars!
Old 12-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You sir are not having good luck with this vehicle so far. Shouldn't your TL be at the dealership getting the pulsating noise fixed?
Old 12-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Yes sir! I can not believe all this. So far, since delivery in early September, it has had a combined 3 weeks at the dealer! But to be fair, I told them to keep it for the week each time I bring it in as a) I get a loaner so I don't care and b) I work in the area for the week before going home.

I feel like I just bought a BMW! LOL!!!!!

(I think my pulsating noise has been addressed, crossing my fingers. Read my update on the other thread. )
Old 12-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the XM radio signal still cutting out like in your original post? Does the AM / FM function work, CD player etc... when the car is in this no audio state?
Old 12-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Kingmeow
Yes sir! I can not believe all this. So far, since delivery in early September, it has had a combined 3 weeks at the dealer! But to be fair, I told them to keep it for the week each time I bring it in as a) I get a loaner so I don't care and b) I work in the area for the week before going home.

I feel like I just bought a BMW! LOL!!!!!

(I think my pulsating noise has been addressed, crossing my fingers. Read my update on the other thread. )
Nah BMW stands for Bust My Wallet and we all know that you don't have to bust your wallet to buy a reliable car like the TL
Old 12-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chaiwala
Nah BMW stands for Bust My Wallet and we all know that you don't have to bust your wallet to buy a reliable car like the TL
Ain't that the truth!!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by big1128z
Is the XM radio signal still cutting out like in your original post? Does the AM / FM function work, CD player etc... when the car is in this no audio state?
Nope, seems to be a one time incident. When it did happen, AM/FM works just fine. I didn't have a CD with me to test the player but I'm sure CD, iPod, etc. would have worked if I had them at the time.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Intermediate

It must have been a signal reception issue from the satellite. If you can get it to recreate you will have a good basis for the dealer to do further investigation. There are ways for them to check your reception strength.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:42 AM
4th Gear

I'm having the same problem with my XM in my two month old base TL.
The AM/FM radio works fine but the XM sound cuts out intermittently and will not work again until the car is restarted.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Has it happened more than once? Mine never happened again, knock on wood. Remember, I spoke to my brother and he has a BMW M3 that does this on the order of frequency about once a year. He does have Sirius instead of XM but they are now one so I don't think there's a difference.

If it happens more than once I don't know how you can reproduce a random event for the dealer unless there is a Technical Service Bulletin out there. I guess once it happens you drive straight to the dealer and show him - which is pretty inconvenient as I'm assuming you are in the car on the way to og somewhere and not the dealer.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jamesp2000
I'm having the same problem with my XM in my two month old base TL.
The AM/FM radio works fine but the XM sound cuts out intermittently and will not work again until the car is restarted.
What year is your TL? 09' or 10'. There were problems with the 09 but they have been resolved for 10'.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:24 AM
4th Gear

09 TL base
Old 12-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Intermediate

There is a known issue on the XM unit for 09'. There is a hardware problem on XM units supplied to Acura. Others on this forum have taken their cars to the dealer where they will replace the XM unit for free. Take it to the dealer when its in its failure state, I know it is not convenient but its the only way to gurantee that they will be able to see the failures state. 10' TL has a countermeasure in place.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Pro

>>>>
Old 01-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Well it happed again today. Car was cold sitting in the parking lot at work. At the end of the day, I started it and drove about 20 minutes on the Mass. Turnpike. I then changed XM channels via preset and got the stuttering audio and then eventual silence. I wonder if I didn't changed channels would this have occurred by itself.

The original time it just did it by itself. Luckily I was near a rest stop, pulled over, and "rebooted" the car (stop/start ignition) and everything works fine again. Hopefully this won't be a monthly occurence. I wonder if the cold has anything to do with it (Boston).
Old 01-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by big1128z
There is a known issue on the XM unit for 09'. There is a hardware problem on XM units supplied to Acura. Others on this forum have taken their cars to the dealer where they will replace the XM unit for free. Take it to the dealer when its in its failure state, I know it is not convenient but its the only way to gurantee that they will be able to see the failures state. 10' TL has a countermeasure in place.
BTW, curious as to what the '10 TL countermeasure is?

Does anyone know if the problem gets worse over time? I can wait until it's more reproducible to take it to the dealer. it was not conventient tonight to make a detour there.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
Don't worry you aren't crazy. I'm having this problem in my 2010 Ridgeline too..

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/b090700.PDF

That's Acura's bulletin from July... they know about a bad batch of XM receivers.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep checking the bulletins to see if there is an update.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, happened again last night when I went to get gas. After refueling, started the car and get the cut out. Stop/start fixed it. Now I read that TSB above and it says to NOT replace the unit as Acura is working on a fix but that TSB is from July 2009.

Does anyone know if there is a good replacement now? Now that it has happened 3x, I think I want to have it replaced. But still, it's more of a nusance than a problem.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
I have to get my XM module (maybe the whole unit?) replaced next week because the note feature does not work:

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-304/xm-note-feature-not-working-756390/

My point is, just like the speakers, there seems to be another bad batch of a stereo-related item *sigh*
Old 02-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Cruisin'

or (until recently) Bad Motoring due to Weather. How did they counter the problem, by copying the Shawd system and renaming it Xdrive for of course twice the price. the most sincere form of flatery....