Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternate to Acura Dealer for 105k service

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alternate to Acura Dealer for 105k service

I'm confused about what I should do about the 105k service. I'm not taking my TL to Acura it's a long long drive and they want $1800. I called Pep Boys and they do it but they want to use their parts or they don't guarantee the work. So if I go with Pep Boys for the timing belt, spark plugs, and water pump I have to use their parts or I might as well had a 12 year old install it if anything goes wrong. I know everyone is all about OEM parts but if I buy the OEM parts and have pep boys install them...no guarantee on anything and the timing belt being incorrectly installed could blow your whole engine. Any suggestions?
Old 12-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Personally, I have had bad experiences with pep boys in the past and will never take any of my vehicles there.

Try and find an independent shop other than a chain?

Last edited by ggesq; 12-12-2009 at 04:33 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
First, stay away from Pep Boys, or any shop that does not guarantee their work. Check some independent shops for prices.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:44 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Definitely had my bad experiences with Pepboy's also. My 95 GT Mustang they replaced the power steering pump ($1000 later and it leaked about 2 weeks later). I sold it as-is. Then I took my 00 Dodge Ram for small noises I heard ($800 later my truck started riding funny with a bad vibration; took it back and they said there was nothing wrong. I even paid $70 for a full inspection, they charge people for a car inspection before you buy the car. The vibration was the rear ujoint connected to the rear drive shaft. The driveshaft came loose and tore open the rear of the T-case. That was a $2000 repair that I feel they should have caught during the inspection. Yea so not a good experience either.....
Old 12-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try a Honda Dealer.....they will usually be cheaper due to lower hourly labor rates.

Here's what a NJ Honda dealer would do at 105,000 miles for the 3G Acura TL for "less than $800.00":

Replace Timing Belt
Replace Accessory Belts
Replace Water Pump
Flush Coolant System
Inspect Internal Engine Seals
Adjust Valves

Keep in that you need to compare apples with apples....Everyone has a different "recommendation" what the 105k service entails......

Last edited by dannyboy10; 12-11-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Don't let PepBoys touch the belt or the valves. The thought of one of those guys doing a valve adjustment is scary.

As it was mentioned above, start with the Honda dealer. If that's not low enough, you could find an independent Honda mechanic. I've found that many times the owner or lead mechanic of a specialty shop was a dealership employee at one time.

The two items you don't want to cheap out on are the timing belt and waterpump. If you want to try your luck with different valvecover gaskets or serpentine belt and such, go for it.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:22 PM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by dannyboy10
Try a Honda Dealer.....they will usually be cheaper due to lower hourly labor rates.

Here's what a NJ Honda dealer would do at 105,000 miles for the 3G Acura TL for "less than $800.00":

Replace Timing Belt
Replace Accessory Belts
Replace Water Pump
Flush Coolant System
Inspect Internal Engine Seals
Adjust Valves

Keep in that you need to compare apples with apples....Everyone has a different "recommendation" what the 105k service entails......
when the dealers (acura or honda) tell you that they will "adjust" the valves in the 105k service and the price for the total package is less then 1000 bucks, they are not adjusting the valves. they are only inspecting the valves to make sure they are not tapping. more then likely they are just gonna listen to it for a few seconds after start-up and thats all.

a valve adjustment by itself is around 300$
Old 12-11-2009, 08:46 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm getting mine done at a local honda stealership for $850. I'd rather pay a couple extra hundered doller than have an idependent do it (just because i dont really trust anyone in the area to do it) Acura wants $1200.. and they are using OEM parts obviously and warranty there work... HONDA DEALERSHIP FTW
Old 12-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by odehboy
I'm getting mine done at a local honda stealership for $850. I'd rather pay a couple extra hundered doller than have an idependent do it (just because i dont really trust anyone in the area to do it) Acura wants $1200.. and they are using OEM parts obviously and warranty there work... HONDA DEALERSHIP FTW
Are you giving them the parts to use or do they use the same OEM parts as the acura dealership does?
Old 12-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Instructor

acura is honda same parts same bags the parts come from.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:45 PM
B A N N E D

The technican at honda said that its the honda odyssey kit, all honda oem parts. I already let him know that i think the valves sound fine.(they do to me i guess) but yea 850 bucks (i got a 12% coupon from acura on the timing belt service) and they are letting me use it, I used the oil change counpon there to and i only had to wait like twenty mins for my oil change, and the guys there were not pricks like the guys at my local acura dealer
Old 12-11-2009, 11:51 PM
Team Owner

The technican at honda said that its the honda odyssey kit, all honda oem parts. I already let him know that i think the valves sound fine.(they do to me i guess) but yea 850 bucks (i got a 12% coupon from acura on the timing belt service) and they are letting me use it, I used the oil change counpon there to and i only had to wait like twenty mins for my oil change, and the guys there were not pricks like the guys at my local acura dealer
Intakes get loose and get noisy yet are harmless other than the noise to run them that way.

Exhaust valves on the other hand usually tighten up and don't get noisy. Too tight can burn an exhaust valve requiring the heads to come off to fix.

If they're loud they need adjusting. If they're quiet they could still need adjusting.

Spend $300 now to get them adjusted or pay $2,500 later to have them replaced.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:39 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by usaf2008
I'm confused about what I should do about the 105k service. I'm not taking my TL to Acura it's a long long drive and they want $1800. I called Pep Boys and they do it but they want to use their parts or they don't guarantee the work. So if I go with Pep Boys for the timing belt, spark plugs, and water pump I have to use their parts or I might as well had a 12 year old install it if anything goes wrong. I know everyone is all about OEM parts but if I buy the OEM parts and have pep boys install them...no guarantee on anything and the timing belt being incorrectly installed could blow your whole engine. Any suggestions?

One alternative is DIY. Gonna cost way less than the dealer or shop or anything.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:50 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I wish the honda dealer had lower labor rates. Some of the members appear to be getting decent deals on the service.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:25 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Intakes get loose and get noisy yet are harmless other than the noise to run them that way.

Exhaust valves on the other hand usually tighten up and don't get noisy. Too tight can burn an exhaust valve requiring the heads to come off to fix.

If they're loud they need adjusting. If they're quiet they could still need adjusting.

Spend $300 now to get them adjusted or pay $2,500 later to have them replaced.

I completly agree and see where your comming from, The technican told me they dont even offer people valve adjustments unless they are loud, you think thats the reason maybe? so you can come back and spend $2500 later? I plan on getting the service done early just because i cant imagine owing my car with 170k+... but like the werid thing is he did not even bring up the ajustment, i did...
Old 12-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Team Owner

I completly agree and see where your comming from, The technican told me they dont even offer people valve adjustments unless they are loud, you think thats the reason maybe? so you can come back and spend $2500 later? I plan on getting the service done early just because i cant imagine owing my car with 170k+... but like the werid thing is he did not even bring up the ajustment, i did...
You've got to be careful what the techs tell you. They're there to make money but sometimes they just don't know any better. 99% of people think you only need an adjustment if they're loud. I've got a sound from the exhaust that you can only hear if your ear is right by the pipe but I can tell it's an exhaust valve getting tight. I always measure and write down the pre-work measurements and I'll post the results on here for people to see since mine will only have 85,000 on it when I do it.

To tell you the truth, from what I've seen with valve adjustments, Acura could recommend adjusting the valves at something like 20,000 miles and then a much longer interval after that. I would guess that much of the tightness comes from the initial break-in then it slows a lot after that, at least that's what I've seen from other cars. The problem is they could never get away with a 20K initial valve adjustment, consumers would not go for that. After I do mine, I'm just planning on checking them but I don't expect to do it again for 150K or more.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
exactly what is done at an acura dealer for the 105k service. im coming up on it and do have the funds. thinkin about doing the belts and water pump myself...dont trust myself for valve adjustment however
Old 04-13-2010, 01:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
you have to ask each shop/dealer what they are replacing, many low ball you to get the job and dont include timing belt pully and tensioner- or spark plugs (if not done yet book says at 105)
while other places will do it right, and include those up front rather than call you to get approval once car is apart--an old trick~ get it in and then up the price a few times

most places only quote wp and tbelt as the 105 but its more. get in writing what they do

should also replace/flush fluids if not done yet- ps and brake fluid flush, brake inspection and lube their parts,,
depends on where you are in maitenance overall- whats left from the 60 not done yet?

this is the cars only big service - the rest are fluid change and inspect things- lube as needed

Valve adjust: unless you are using a mechanics stethascope you cant hear them correctly.. and then it takes a trained ear

There is a minimum and maximum clearance between 2 parts at the adjuster nut, tech inserts measuring tool- a slim feeler gauge
if between those numbers, or where they have found to be an optimal setting of towards tight or loose of spec limit, then proceed to next valve- rotate engine to next postion and continue. repeatrepeatrepeat

if valve clearance not in spec- loosen adjuster nut, adjust-adjust-ck adjust- lock and recheck

thats what `adjust as needed` means- the ones that NEED IT get adjusted
Will usually find a few exhaust out of spec at least

A perfectly set valvetrain makes the fuel injection work better and the car run smoother overall = closer to equal compression in each cylinder- same amount of time valve open and its lift -inlet or exhausting

a really good tech writes down the numbers before and after to show their work.
You can run a compression test before and after and see you have done something good.

Why its not offered:
Its not a high profit job- the actual time used vs billable time for the job when tech can be working on fast easy money jobs,,it requires a `skilled tech level`, techs dont like doing it so they dont report it, writers dont always understand what to really sell- they sell the fast money jobs

You dont have to do the valve adjust WITH the timing belt job-
it can be done on its own at anytime, after an oil change is my way, so the surfaces you are measuring .008 clearance between are clean and accurate reading

There is a cover or 2 off for tbelt job that gives better access to see some timing marks and speed locating engine to next position,
but you can also see other ones without removing the tbelt cover
Old 04-13-2010, 08:02 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Okay, so if Honda does a similar thing for around $800, but probably does not do a valve adjustment, is it better to go with the Acura 105k service at $1200ish if you get them to agree to the valve adjustments in writing (not just inspection)? Just curious...I have about 3 1/2 years or so before I have to worry about it.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
if they write it as inspect valves- the time is the same if written as adjust as needed

You dont `ck the gap` and find it out of spec- then move on because its `just Inspect` lol

it bills 2-3 hours labor, if you want it done then specify Valve Adjustment on the work order and tech will do what the paper says
Most of the work is getting the valve covers off!

Honda will do whatever you want- you are calling for a price- they give you a price to get you in,,,then suggest the valves--depending on how busy it is in the shop that day..do they have time to do the extra job?? do they have time for induction cleaning (seafoam)- then they will sell it!!
Old 04-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Burning Brakes

i think im going to have to go for the valve adjustment some other time then. im hearing some major "ticking" and "chucking" noises from my engine. been hearing it for a few thousand miles now. just changed the oil bout 200 miles ago
Old 04-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Search for "Hamilton Honda" - I had mind done there...<$500 for everything plus new tensioner in that. Also provided a good loaner.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:55 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Fatfrii
i think im going to have to go for the valve adjustment some other time then. im hearing some major "ticking" and "chucking" noises from my engine. been hearing it for a few thousand miles now. just changed the oil bout 200 miles ago
where are you in CA?
Old 04-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pepboys told me that my head gasket was blown on my RX-7. Other shop fixed it by taking a bubble in the radiator coolant. Never ever take your car to Pepboys.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by subinf
where are you in CA?
bout 80 miles north of LA