Stage 3 exhaust complete

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 07:36 AM
I luv my

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stage 3 exhaust complete

After reading most of the exhaust threads here, I decided to get the Stage 3 (mid-muffler delete w/ Dynomax resonator).

I got the resonator from http://www.amazon.com/Dynomax-24234-.../dp/B000CIR42C, and had the labor done at the local Meineke. Got a great price on the resonator, but probably got ripped off at the shop. Ended up paying $200 at the shop, after I talked him down from $240.

Initial thoughts after the work was completed...
Please don't sound like a tin can!
Hearing it start up for first time!
Hitting the gas as I leave the shop.
On the way home.

It does sound pretty good so far. The really high RPM range has a litle bit of a tin sound to it, but mid-range and low-range sound perfect. So far, no drone inside the cabin, especially if the radio is on. Highway cruising speed is subtle as well.

Original setup...

New setup...
Old 12-17-2009, 07:50 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Sounds good! But DAMN, $200?!? lol that's pretty expensive.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:01 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow 200 bones. That seems way too high even if you bought the resonator from them. So does it do anything for performance or is it just sound?
Old 12-17-2009, 08:05 AM
I luv my

According to the shop, it was $18 for pipe, $6 for a new hanger, and 2 hours labor at $94 an hour. Funny part is the guy finished the whole job in about 45 minutes. North VA is expensive for everything though. As far as sound/performance, I haven't noticed any increased power, so I'm gonna say it's mostly for sound.

By the way... I have videos of before/after, but don't know how to post them. Any help?
Old 12-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
If it finished in 45 minutes, I would advise going back and getting your money back following the time you came in the store and got your car done till the time you got the receipt and paid. You should have record of both. This job is not a 2 hour job. This job should only cost about $80. You need to get your money back so you have some extra dough to fork out on other things, or you could donate for the Acurazine Holiday Charity Drive.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
that is fraud. BBB(better business borough). You need to watch the scams on youtube.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:32 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
$200 is a rip-off.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by AckTL05
that is fraud. BBB(better business borough). You need to watch the scams on youtube.
borough lol bureau
Old 12-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I have to agree with the other guys about the install rates. That is outrageous, and they owe you money for the hour of labor they did not need. Sounds like a shady operation to me. But... back on topic...

Sounds good, doesn't it? I guess I was fortunate to never have gotten the "tinny" sound you are experiencing at higher rpms. At least I didn't notice it. I had about a 40 mile drive from the shop I went to, and I drove home the way that had the most stoplights, just to hear the exhaust under acceleration.

I would guess that as more carbon builds up on the new exhaust parts, that "tinnyness" will go away. Let us know in about 500 miles.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:53 AM
tlwith2carseats

it's not fraud to charge 2 hrs and only complete the job in under an hour. thats how mechanics make money. all jobs come with a standard time to complete - i.e. a simple service at lexus charges like 1 1/2 hrs but it only takes me 15 mins to complete. thats how i go home with 75-80 hrs after only working a 40 hr week. the shops usually don't set up their own time tables, they are already set up for most jobs. it's comon practice that all shops use and have been using for decades. can it be used to decieve a customer? yes, but in most cases it's not
Old 12-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Intermediate

Most jobs at exhaust shops do not have an hour rate assigned to them.

Also custom jobs do not usually fall under those rules.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:07 PM
tlwith2carseats

thats not all entirely true....custom jobs do have rates attatched depending on what they are under the guidelines of the auto industry. pipe bending, welding, all that stuff has hourly rates along with rates that fall under the misc. category. these rates can be set by manufacturer (acura, lexus) or other. if a shop has ase techs then they most likely would follow rate programs. most exhaust shops hire ase techs therefore most shops follow quidlines. same as the electrical fields, refrigeration fields (which i currently work in). the only reason i know this is from working at a lexus dealership and a privately run mech shop...now i work in the refrigeration feild and most rates are set by manufacturer of the machine we are working on. but if dude feels ripped of, by all means he is entiteled to complain
Old 12-23-2009, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by njtl06
it's not fraud to charge 2 hrs and only complete the job in under an hour. thats how mechanics make money. all jobs come with a standard time to complete - i.e. a simple service at lexus charges like 1 1/2 hrs but it only takes me 15 mins to complete. thats how i go home with 75-80 hrs after only working a 40 hr week. the shops usually don't set up their own time tables, they are already set up for most jobs. it's comon practice that all shops use and have been using for decades. can it be used to decieve a customer? yes, but in most cases it's not
True, but thats not how you run a truthful business (they don't care of course)

We should only be charged for the length of the time it takes to fix the car.
Yes I know most mechanics charge a time it "takes" to fix a vehicle though it takes half the time just because most people that bring it too shops are stupid and knows nothing about fixing cars, so mechanics, like dealerships, take advantage. Mechanics and Dealerships are known to cheat, lie, and take money from the customers just because of the lack of knowledge of the customer.

Thats why when I ever have problems with my car I have a few trusted private mechanics to fix my stuff. Timing Belt, Water Pump, Tensioners, etc... 105k service... easy, only $500, while Acura charges over $1500.

Its called greed, thats the problem with the business world sometimes. Asking for too much is horrible, asking for too little will run them out of business, asking for just the right price is priceless (NOPUNINTENdED)
Old 12-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChamp531

Its called greed, thats the problem with the business world sometimes. Asking for too much is horrible, asking for too little will run them out of business, asking for just the right price is priceless (NOPUNINTENdED)
+1

My family has been in the automobile industry for years, and from this I know never to take my car to a dealer/service center unless absolutely necessary. I have 3 reasons I pay for work:

1) If i don't have specialized equipment (i.e. getting an alignment)
2) Exhaust work (can't weld)
3) Warranty Work

I don't care how helpless people think they may be, ANYONE can be trained to do 90% of automotive work and save tons of money doing it.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:21 PM
tlwith2carseats

I do agree. where i think fraud comes in is when, lets say your charged 3 hrs for a brake job. now at the factory that includes time for inspection, time for resurfacing of rotors, grease pistons....a ton of stuff. truth is most mechanics only swap pads and they are done. then the customer is getting ripped off because they paid for resurfasing, grease and ect. and that stuff wasn't done. but the dealership has to charge that rate. now a local mechanic, like most, know that they are not going to do those things so they will not charge as much, thats where price differences come up...the only issue is if u can trust a local mech who works on numerous types of vehicles to know what he's doing on yours. the rates are set to keep customer safe and mech. safe, so nobody is ever going to be 100% happy, but it is a happy medium.

and don't forget pay scale...a local shop may only charge 85/hr. but a 105k service would probly only be done by an a-tech who's rate is probly arount 120-150 an hr.at a dealership, so a 2 hr job by a local tech may be 170 plus recycling fees and hazard fees, while a 2 hr job that is done at a dealership might cost 240 plus fees.

i only charge 85 plus travel for refrigeration jobs while i know other techs that charge 105.... but i feel we get more buisness charging 85.

i am not trying to say if rates are fair or if they are not fair, i'm just someone who worked in the feild and just trying to be helpfull. i can only speculate that shop probly looked up to see what a comparable job would cost on an acura/honda, like a muffler swap. if it was a two hour job by acura's rates, then 85 x 2 =170 plus taxes and or fees if aplicable (like misc. wire/gas for welder/metal) then 200 may be an applicable price.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow this post got side tracked a little.
The following users liked this post:
robocam (05-10-2014)
Old 12-29-2009, 12:27 AM
TL = True Love

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
nice to see you like the setup...

but you got ripped OFF. I paid $80 dollars for the custom install and i ALSO did it in MEINEKE! they don't charge by the hour and it gets done fast as hell.

And i got it done in South Jersey..the KING of mechanic ripoff states