Wasn’t Born An A-Spec, Just Destine To Be One. Trendzero’s Progress (Winter Update)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 01:17 AM
Mile High Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wasn’t Born An A-Spec, Just Destine To Be One. Trendzero’s Progress (Winter Update)

I purchased my 2005 TL in Anthracite Metallic with an A/T complete with Navi and a Carbon/Quartz interior in October of 2009 for 16K. I have modded many cars in the past but have never been a member of a forum before. I came across Azine and was impressed with its breath of knowledge and general organization so I decided to become a member. This was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

Before I begin my sideshow I want to thank Azine for all the install, troubleshooting, brainstorming and networking opportunities it has created for me and special thanks to the Mile High Acura group for the new friends and all the others on the forum for the great ideas and excellent looks into your cars. Anyways, on to my progress to date…

Excuse the first bunch of photos they were shot on my point and shoot.

This is what she looked like the day I got her.

The immediate two mods I did are ones that most on Azine hate. I put the style spoiler and BSM’s on my AM. I have always had spoilers on my car, it’s just my thing and the BSM’s I actually like a lot but more importantly I work downtown and they serve a legitimate purpose on my car, which is to protect from downtown parking lots and dumbass drivers. Say what you wanna say but they are staying.

The next three mods I did were to complete the carbon fiber, if you can call it that, interior pieces on my car. These consisted of the remaining center console pieces, the shift knob and the rear console piece.

This next picture is a more recent shot but the first one I had with my next mod. This mod was to replace the interior lights with blue LED lighting. Kinda hard to see at night but I like it.

Then I did your typical stuff on this forum like the Type-S rear markers, Type-S taillights and cleared headlights.

I then decided to do a grille mod. I really like the framing of the TL grille plus I saw several AM TLs that painted the entire grille to match the body, but thought it looked too much like an Accord, so I painted the center grille piece to match the body leaving the OEM color in the inset.

Before:

After:

I then purchased my A-spec kit and this is a pic of it installed and consequently a pic from my first Azine meet with the Mile High Acura group.

Keeping with the carbon fiber theme, by the way my wedding ring is carbon fiber, I purchased the OEM carbon fiber steering wheel to complete the interior.

My next purchase was the A-spec gunmetal 8.5” wheels.

Since I was on the theme of A-spec I decided to purchase the A-spec badge for the rear of the car.

I then decided to purchase quad exhaust tips for my car, I am sure you have seen the thread around. After the install I decided they did not fit the couture or look I was going for so I had them removed and had my OEM tips extended to be flusher with the A-spec bumper. A lot of people change out their tips but I think Acura did a great job with these OEM ones.

The next thing I did was get the M/T A-spec suspension kit for my car and took my 30% tint down to 20%. I toyed around a lot with the suspension and decided on the A-spec for a couple of reasons. First, this is my daily driven car which I want it to feel like a luxury car. Second, the M/T offers enough drop without being stupid low. Granted slammed cars look absolutely amazing for photo shoots but offer little to no practicality for everyday driving. This has been by far my most rewarding mod to-date. The feel and response of the A-spec suspension is worth every penny.

The final two mods I have done “as of now…” are I made a carbon fiber engine shroud and installed my CAI.

As you can see I stuck with the OEM theme, A-Spec in particular, and for many on this forum it looks just like any other TL but outside this forum I get some head turns from time to time.

My future mods include:
Finish carbon fibering all the engine bay shrouds;
Install the Sarona or Ebay roof spoiler;
Paint roof and roof spoiler black;
Install the custom fit trunk sub;
Dual headrest monitors;
Replace my side mirror, which has that burnt blemish on it.
Whatever else calls to my wallet……

Here are some pictures of my car as it sits today along with a few pics of myself, my wife and our two beautiful daughters. Thanks for looking comments, criticisms as usual are welcome.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:16 AM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts
nice pictures and write up!

how much did a-spec suspention cost?
Old 06-22-2010, 04:11 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
nice write up and car's on point
Old 06-22-2010, 05:10 AM
Phmbm12

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
your ring is carbon fiber? PICS!!
Old 06-22-2010, 06:23 AM
Mile High Anthracite

Originally Posted by yooin14
nice pictures and write up!

how much did a-spec suspention cost?
I got it from Tim for 602 shipped.

Originally Posted by r3n3gad3II
nice write up and car's on point
Thanks

Originally Posted by Phambam12
your ring is carbon fiber? PICS!!
Here is basically what it looks like: here
Old 06-22-2010, 06:25 AM
Veni, vidi, vici

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
nice ride... so what are you doing next? getting the Aspec suspension?
Old 06-22-2010, 07:55 AM
Kro
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
looks good, and nice writeup. you could consider having your tints redone. just the rear window and rear quarters. the quarters are done half-ass and the rear doesn't need to be cut around the brake light. neither of those will break the bank but will make it look a lot classier. nice ride tho, good work.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Veni, vidi, vici

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kro
looks good, and nice writeup. you could consider having your tints redone. just the rear window and rear quarters. the quarters are done half-ass and the rear doesn't need to be cut around the brake light. neither of those will break the bank but will make it look a lot classier. nice ride tho, good work.

I didn't really notice the rear quarters until u mentioned it, but it's not really anything drastic. I mean, if the OP is a perfectionist, then yeah it should be fixed but as a whole, the car looks fine.

Hey OP- some Aziners might get mifted cuz you have a Aspec badge on your car, but it's not a full aspec. so be prepared for that. but it looks like your going all the way with the aspec theme, so i wouldn't worry about it.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:26 AM
TLX-S

Received 225 Likes on 172 Posts
excellent thread and love the pics
Old 06-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Chapter Leader (Central Florida)

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Damn man looks great! The CF engine cover looks fantastic! Mind if I inquire as to where you got it from?
Old 06-22-2010, 09:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beautiful car. I love how you've made it fit your personal needs,with the side molding and a-spec suspension, but still have pulled off a great looking car.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:22 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Love the car. OEM clean for sure. Glad to see at least someone else on here who sees the practicality of not slamming the car to the ground with an insane drop.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:34 AM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
AM FTW! You're off to an excellent start man! Type S tails are my next "mod". And I like the spoiler! My mother-in-law has a NBP with the same spoiler and I've always liked them.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:00 PM
contemplating future mods

Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by cjTL
Love the car. OEM clean for sure. Glad to see at least someone else on here who sees the practicality of not slamming the car to the ground with an insane drop.
+1

Great progress. Now what? Performance mods or are you going to keep the focus on aesthetics? If you are a carbon fiber "maker," how about making a carbon fiber cover for the upper console (by the center vanity lights)... If you do/can, make two and I'll take the other
Old 06-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Intermediate

Great looking car. Hope to have mine look as good as that some day. Did you do anything to your headlights, other than clear them (tint, etc)?
Old 06-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Mile High Anthracite

Originally Posted by Bayam0n
nice ride... so what are you doing next? getting the Aspec suspension?
The A-spec suspension is already installed.

Originally Posted by Kro
looks good, and nice writeup. you could consider having your tints redone.
I agree. The place I had them done won't do what should be done so I am taking it to another place to at least get the quarter panels flush. It bugs me for sure.

Originally Posted by LostSol_FoundTL
Damn man looks great! The CF engine cover looks fantastic! Mind if I inquire as to where you got it from?
I made it. If you look in one of my photo albums you can see all the carbon fiber work I did on my grand prix.

Originally Posted by Bayam0n
Hey OP- some Aziners might get mifted cuz you have a Aspec badge on your car, but it's not a full aspec. so be prepared for that. but it looks like your going all the way with the aspec theme, so i wouldn't worry about it.
The only thing I don't have from the A-spec package now is the brake upgrade. I don't intend to get it either because it limits my wheel selections if I decide to change it up in the future. Otherwise, I've got everything else plus I don't feel it's wrong to represent Acura's performance line, much like Nismo Nissans

Originally Posted by HHawk
Beautiful car. I love how you've made it fit your personal needs,with the side molding and a-spec suspension, but still have pulled off a great looking car.
Thanks

Originally Posted by cjTL
Like I said, great for photos but.....

Originally Posted by Morrissey25
+1

Great progress. Now what? Performance mods or are you going to keep the focus on aesthetics? If you are a carbon fiber "maker," how about making a carbon fiber cover for the upper console (by the center vanity lights)... If you do/can, make two and I'll take the other
I don't intend to do anymore performance. I did that on my prior car and now I think its all cosmetic. I don't plan on doing any interior carbon fiber pieces simply becuase the real carbon fiber pattern conflicts with the faux fiber pattern in the car now and I don't like that.

Originally Posted by mooncricket5
Great looking car. Hope to have mine look as good as that some day. Did you do anything to your headlights, other than clear them (tint, etc)?
They are just cleared that's all.

Thanks for all the comments.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Very nice progression thread, OP...that's some AM goodness, right there.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:00 PM
99 TLS6 08 TL

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Nice car! Looks even better in person.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:06 PM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
You've come a long way with the TL and I'm very impressed. Clean and subtle mods sometimes look better than going over the top.

What kind of camera were you using for those shots? I'm guessing some sort of Nikon because of the last picture holding the lens cap.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:17 PM
3rd Gear

This car looks great, one of my favorite colors!
Old 06-22-2010, 02:25 PM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
looking really good n CLEAN! tasteful mods 4 sure! ...u will proly wanna go lower like me when i had the a-spec so here is ur warning
Old 06-22-2010, 02:48 PM
.:dedicated:.

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
looks good! really clean and oem mods are always a plus. I wouldve blacked out the headlights though, I think clear looks like too much for the AM. i had clear and switched to black pretty soon after, and it seems to suit the car a lot better. just my .02
Old 06-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Phmbm12

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
when i get married.. i want a carbon fiber ring
Old 06-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Mile High Anthracite

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
You've come a long way with the TL and I'm very impressed. Clean and subtle mods sometimes look better than going over the top.

What kind of camera were you using for those shots? I'm guessing some sort of Nikon because of the last picture holding the lens cap.
Thanks for the kind comments. I took these shots with our Nikon D5000 and used CS5 to edit.

Originally Posted by djbonsu
looking really good n CLEAN! tasteful mods 4 sure! ...u will proly wanna go lower like me when i had the a-spec so here is ur warning
Yeah, I do wish it dropped the car down about .25" to .5" more but over all very happy and even more happy with the ride quality over stock.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Really nice. Very classy and tasteful selection of mods. Which Discount did you get your tires at?
Old 06-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Mile High Anthracite

Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
Really nice. Very classy and tasteful selection of mods. Which Discount did you get your tires at?
120th and I-25.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:06 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
looking good soo far
Old 06-22-2010, 11:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
you should make those carbon fiber engine covers for all of us!
Old 06-23-2010, 07:54 AM
GODZILLA & 3G TL

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
Sick ride Scott. That's the only way to describe it. Very clean, especially in person. We will definitely have to do a photoshoot soon

The more I see your stance, the more I want to do the MT aspec too...damn Azine! Probably get my brakes done first though, I feel they may need it sooner than later.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Chapter Leader (Central Florida)

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ionojimbo

I'd buy one!
Old 06-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Your a great photographer. I really like the way your car is turning out. AMFTMFW. BTW, I'm one of the AM's that painted his entire grill, but I don't think it makes the car look like an Accord at all.

Also, any performance mods? Like a CAI atleast?

Last edited by d-townhakuzo; 06-23-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:18 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by phambam12
your ring is carbon fiber? Pics!!
+1.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:19 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by d-townhakuzo
Your a great photographer. I really like the way your car is turning out. AMFTMFW. BTW, I'm one of the AM's that painted his entire grill, but I don't think it makes the car look like an Accord at all.

LOL did you not look at the pics? he has CAI.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:23 AM
3.5L...enough said

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm diggin that carbon fiber engine cover...pretty sweet
Old 06-23-2010, 05:26 PM
F-SPORT

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
AM ftw, nice progress!
Old 06-23-2010, 06:27 PM
Mile High Anthracite

Originally Posted by ionojimbo
LOL, if I only had the extra time....

Originally Posted by HOCKEYMAN23
Sick ride Scott. That's the only way to describe it. Very clean, especially in person. We will definitely have to do a photoshoot soon

The more I see your stance, the more I want to do the MT aspec too...damn Azine! Probably get my brakes done first though, I feel they may need it sooner than later.
Yes, we need to do a AM photo shoot soon!

Originally Posted by justnspace
LOL did you not look at the pics? he has CAI.
+1
Old 06-23-2010, 06:29 PM
Mile High Anthracite

Originally Posted by d-townhakuzo

Don't get me wrong the full painted grille still looks great, just not my style. Your AM front end has got the goods
Old 06-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Trendzero
Don't get me wrong the full painted grille still looks great, just not my style. Your AM front end has got the goods
Full painted grill not your style eh Scott?
FFUUUUUU

Nice car!
FFFUUUUUUU!
Old 06-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Mile High Anthracite

Originally Posted by Souljah
Full painted grill not your style eh Scott?
FFUUUUUU

Nice car!
FFFUUUUUUU!
Old 06-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Great pics Scott! Love the Nintendo Graffiti shots. Did you take those near Federal?

Quick Reply: Wasn’t Born An A-Spec, Just Destine To Be One. Trendzero’s Progress (Winter Update)