Sunroof Tilt Up Stuck on a Hot Day!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Sunroof Tilt Up Stuck on a Hot Day!

2010 TL, SH-AWD, 4435 Miles. Headed over to Las Vegas from San Diego and did some desert exploration. It was about 107 out and sunny. Tilted up the sunroof. Came back in about 30 minutes and when I went to lower the Sun Roof it would not go down. It would move about an inch and then go back up. It was trying to go down and after about 10 pushed of the button, it went down. I tried it agan at night, no issues and no issues at all in San Diego even after sitting in the Sun when it was 87 outside for 3 hours. When I slid back the cover and touched the metal it was so hot I could not keep my fingers on it. I am sure folks have these cars in Arizona and Nevada even the California Desert reach 115. No way to reproduce it in San Diego.. Any Ideas other then don't go to Las Vegas!
Old 07-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Could a piece of debris have been stuck in there, that finally dislodged after trying to open / close it so many times? Sounds like it could have been a safety overide--the sunroof sensed some resistance closing and pops back open?

Maybe?
Old 07-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Racer

Well that is an interesting observation. I will open up the sunroof and get up on a ladder and do an inspection. Even at 6 Feet Tall, one can not easily see down into the transport tray... I will report back my findings..
Old 07-10-2010, 04:04 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Had a similiar problem 2 weeks ago. Weatherman got "late afternoon" Thunderstorms prediction off by about a couple of hours, and after walking to my car drenched, I attempted to close the sunroof ... but it closed and re-opened. Took about 10 times before it closed and stayed closed.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Racer

Was it hot outside, or was it just the rain water? I am sure you know how the roof is designed, it has drains so water will not flow into the car. Was the inside of the car wet at all? Your in PA. but the heat wave did not hit two weeks ago.. Any issues with the recent heat wave??
Old 07-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had the same issue and I posted it here: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749322
I took it into the dealership and they reset/reprogrammed the moon roof but it still is happening. I need to make time to bring it back.
There is no debris in the track and it does not seem to matter what the weather is doing. The tricky part is that is happens randomly so when I go to the dealership they can’t reproduce it. Let me know if you find a resolution.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:25 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Six Shifter
Had a similiar problem 2 weeks ago. Weatherman got "late afternoon" Thunderstorms prediction off by about a couple of hours, and after walking to my car drenched, I attempted to close the sunroof ... but it closed and re-opened. Took about 10 times before it closed and stayed closed.
Odd...

This happened to me just yesterday. Nice hot dry and clear sunny day (though not hot by Arizona standards (mid 80s F)); I left the sunroof tilted open when the car was parked for about 40min. Came back, started the car, turned on the AC, and hit the button to close the sunroof; the sunroof closed and then immediately re-opened back up. I was thinking eh??? Happened 3-4 times before it remained close.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Racer

That is what happened to me in Las Vegas and why I started this thread. Looks like I am not alone! I have since checked the roof and no issues since returning home. When I can I will look at the Acura Service Manual, I purchased it so I can dig in deeper on these types of problems. BTW the manual was $350 on HELM website. I have a feeling that Honda may have a hint that something is going on. I called 2 of the 3 Acura dealers in San Diego and neither heard of any issue related to the Sun Roof.. But if it is only happening once in a while, some folks may not have reported it. If you go to your dealer please do report back on your findings. Thanks
Old 07-13-2010, 05:21 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by RSLTSX09XMNAVWX
Was it hot outside, or was it just the rain water? I am sure you know how the roof is designed, it has drains so water will not flow into the car. Was the inside of the car wet at all? Your in PA. but the heat wave did not hit two weeks ago.. Any issues with the recent heat wave??
On those days where I know there will be no rain, I leave it open all the time, and have never had an issue. During the 100 degree temps from last week (with/without humidity), never had an issue ... only that one day where it poured when I came out of work (don't know how long it had been raining ... prob only 15 or so minutes). Interior of car was rather wet, but that was do to rain getting in through the opening. In my case, I ended up shutting the car off and going into the accessory mode until it finally stayed shut.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:57 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
take it to the dealer

Looks like a lot of us are having the same problem. It probably should be a recall. I did some poking around on another board...

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-2007...-position.html
Old 11-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Has happened to us once in 26K. We both looked at each other, hit the button and it closed. Give us some follow-up on this as it is a pretty big deal.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Racer

Heat!!!!

Originally Posted by gfoong
Looks like a lot of us are having the same problem. It probably should be a recall. I did some poking around on another board...

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-2007...-position.html
My 2010 has this issue but only when left in the tilt position and sitting in the SUN and very hot outside, 90 deg+.. When it is cool or not in the sun, no problems... I am aware of it and rather not have ACURA Tear Into the sun roof, but I bet a Service Bulletin is very close on this.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
my 07 type s did this a few times, while i was on the highway doing highway speed, it was in tilt up and when i tried to close it, it would try to close, and reopen...i tried a few attempts and after a few trys it closed...
Old 11-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Racer

Very True!

Originally Posted by vinnier6
my 07 type s did this a few times, while i was on the highway doing highway speed, it was in tilt up and when i tried to close it, it would try to close, and reopen...i tried a few attempts and after a few trys it closed...
Yes, when I was in Las Vegas, it was 108 deg and it took about 4 tries to get it to close. I bet Acura of Phoenix, Las Vegas knows about this issue and has a fix... For me it is a Very Hot Day that makes it not work...
Old 05-18-2011, 08:58 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
OMG...this happened to me yesterday right after the rains stopped
Old 05-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Racer

Lets keep this thread going!

Originally Posted by Ant$
OMG...this happened to me yesterday right after the rains stopped
Now that we are into summer, but one would never know it in Southern California with the rain this week, more folks may experience this issue with the roof getting stuck if it is HOT outside plus being in the sun. For me, both conditions need to be present. I was going to call the Acura dealer in either Phoenix or Las Vegas as they probably have seen this problem more then cool San Diego? Just for clarification, it is not the sliding back and forth that is affected, for me it was the Tilt Up that would not Tilt Down...
Old 05-18-2011, 10:08 AM

Happened to me a few days ago. Wasn't that hot either, mid 60s and very sunny. Sunroof was stuck in the "Tilt Up" position; I pushed the button to get it to tilt down/close or slide all the way open, and the sunroof kept closing down and tilting back up. Did it for about 10 times. Finally gave up, drove off, parked the car, and tried it again 45 min later. Then the sunroof closed.

Anyone have a successful dealer remedy?
Old 05-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Racer

2010??

Originally Posted by docboy
Happened to me a few days ago. Wasn't that hot either, mid 60s and very sunny. Sunroof was stuck in the "Tilt Up" position; I pushed the button to get it to tilt down/close or slide all the way open, and the sunroof kept closing down and tilting back up. Did it for about 10 times. Finally gave up, drove off, parked the car, and tried it again 45 min later. Then the sunroof closed.

Anyone have a successful dealer remedy?
We both have 2010, so does this happen on 2009 or 2011?? I use my Sun Roof tilt up a lot during the cooler months in San Diego, never an issue. Seems light having it sit in the SUN triggers the problem. I have to do the same thing with mine to fix it or go into a shaded area.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:30 AM

^That's a good question.

Seattle's weather is so unpredictable, sunny for a few hours, and then bam, complete downpour. If the rain ever ruins my interior b/c of said sunroof issue, I will not be a happy camper.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by Six Shifter
I hate it when the weatherman gets it wrong!! *lol* (Just kidding, I am one myself and understand how complex these things are to forecast)
Old 05-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Autofahrer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Confirmed issue with my 2011 TL! As soon the retractable part hits the wind-visor it retracts and stalls half way back.

This seems to happen when it is really warm.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Racer

hope they get a software update for this sunroof thing soon...
Old 05-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TinyRK
Confirmed issue with my 2011 TL! As soon the retractable part hits the wind-visor it retracts and stalls half way back.

Can you please provide more detail on your issue? Is it with the tilt function or moving forward / backward? I've had the same problem for a very long time...when the roof is about a third or halfway open and I try to auto-close it....it moves forward for a second then moves back and stays open. When I hit auto-close again it closes. This tends to happen after the car has been parked in the sun for a long time and I use the keyfob to auto-roll down the windows and the moonroof opens as automatically as well. Thanks!
Old 05-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i park my 2012 in the sun all day long here in tucson, AZ. granted it's only been in the high 90s to 100, the sunroof seems to be behaving. perhaps a piece of metal within the sunroof's mechanism expands with the high temperature and obstructs the during closing.
The following users liked this post:
vivmike (08-11-2013)
Old 06-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Racer

Any Updates??????

Originally Posted by TinyRK

Any Updates??????
Old 06-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Autofahrer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Any Updates??????
My Tl is at the dealership and they will check on it. Stupid show-effect: of course it didn't happen, while I was testdriving it with the technician.

I have a 2012 MDX as a loaner (had 68 miles on it, when I picked it up), so I'll be patient. But the MDX does not have this problem. No rattling, no nothing.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:32 AM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
I know, I'm reviving a topic two years old. However, I've been experiencing this problem on my brand new 2013 TL.

My problem is exactly as stated by the other posters - when the moonroof glass is in the tilted vent position, there are times when it pops right back open after I press the button to close it.

Last time, I had to try almost 10 times in a row before it closed. Another time, I had to turn off the car, then turn it back on.

Looking at the thread here, and having done a search on the MDXer's forum, it appears that bringing in the car to the dealership is not the solution. I've read that owners have had their moonroof assembly completely replaced and lubricated, and the problem recurs. If the dealerships don't have a handle on the problem, I don't want to risk them tearing apart the car (and breaking plastic clips along the way) while not being able to fix it.

I've read that this problem is not confined to the TL. Does anyone have recent experience into the matter, and any words of advice or resolution?

The problem occurs only when the glass is tilted, not when the moonroof is in the fully open position.

Thanks, everyone!
Old 08-10-2013, 09:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Wow, blast from the past. This has never happened to our 2009 TL since that one episode.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:48 PM
Racer

Window Tilt

Originally Posted by hddnav
I know, I'm reviving a topic two years old. However, I've been experiencing this problem on my brand new 2013 TL.

My problem is exactly as stated by the other posters - when the moonroof glass is in the tilted vent position, there are times when it pops right back open after I press the button to close it.

Last time, I had to try almost 10 times in a row before it closed. Another time, I had to turn off the car, then turn it back on.

Looking at the thread here, and having done a search on the MDXer's forum, it appears that bringing in the car to the dealership is not the solution. I've read that owners have had their moonroof assembly completely replaced and lubricated, and the problem recurs. If the dealerships don't have a handle on the problem, I don't want to risk them tearing apart the car (and breaking plastic clips along the way) while not being able to fix it.

I've read that this problem is not confined to the TL. Does anyone have recent experience into the matter, and any words of advice or resolution?

The problem occurs only when the glass is tilted, not when the moonroof is in the fully open position.

Thanks, everyone!
I had mine lubricated 2 years ago and it fixed it. Each year I have the dealer re-lubricate the mechanism again for me. Recent trips to HOT Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon, the tilt up part had no problems. The secret is how they lubricate the tracks. It needs to be a combination of SPRAY and Hand lubrication to assure they get everything coated... For me it has been fine since they did this to mine.. The spary needs to be a the right kind.. They used Johnsen's Silicone Lubricant that waterprrofs, lubricates and PENATRATES, It is also VOC Compliant... Many auto stores carry it but the Acura dealer said they found this to be the best for this application... After parts are sprayed, then they applie a light lubricating grease, you need to do BOTH! Hope this helps
The following 2 users liked this post by RSLTSX09XMNAVWX:
Ant$ (08-11-2013), Mr Marco (08-10-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Racer

^^^
I'm going to ask my dealer to do just that. The service can't cost more than $20 or so, right?

the sunroof thing still occurs randomly maybe once every few months and of course it can't be duplicated.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I have had this issue happen also. What I do is push in on the right side of the sunroof while I cllose it. Closes every time. It is VERY intermittent. I think some metal expands that cause this issue. Its been awhile since Ive had the issue. I will probably just live with it. I don't need the dealer screwing up my car.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Racer

I had mine lubricated 2 years ago and it fixed it. Each year I have the dealer re-lubricate the mechanism again for me. Recent trips to HOT Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon, the tilt up part had no problems. The secret is how they lubricate the tracks. It needs to be a combination of SPRAY and Hand lubrication to assure they get everything coated... For me it has been fine since they did this to mine.. The spary needs to be a the right kind.. They used Johnsen's Silicone Lubricant that waterprrofs, lubricates and PENATRATES, It is also VOC Compliant... Many auto stores carry it but the Acura dealer said they found this to be the best for this application... After parts are sprayed, then they applie a light lubricating grease, you need to do BOTH! Hope this helps
This is really helpful! I appreciate you starting the thread 2 years ago, and I appreciate your response today. So great to have members like you around!

I will head to O'Reillys Auto Parts to pick up some Johnsen's Silicone Lubricant. I've already gone to the dealership to buy the Honda Shin-Etsu Silicone Grease. Now, I just have to learn how and where to actually apply the lubricant around the moonroof!
Old 08-17-2013, 01:20 PM
1st Gear

Hello, I'm new to this forum and joined specifically because my 2007 TL has the stuck sunroof issue. It is very predictable! If it's out in the sun (70 degrees +) it will not
operate. Frequently I've opened it in the garage (cool, shaded of course) it will work fine...then after an hour or so outside in the sun it will not work (close). I have to wait until I'm back home and let i cool in the garage for several hours before I can close it. Sounds like a sensor is either getting over heated or "warping" in the sun/heat...any ideas or help is greatly appreciated!!!!!
Old 08-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnier6
08 TLS and have had this exact same thing happen to me intermittently. Four or five attempts and it finally closes.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:12 PM
Racer

Hello all, I just want to give an update to the problem of my moonroof repeatedly refusing to close from a tilt position on my 2013 TL. I followed the advice to use Johnsen's Silicon Spray and Shin-Etsu grease on the arms holding up the moonroof glass, as well as any exposed joints. Ever since doing so, the problem has not recurred, even a single time. I must have used my moonroof a good 40 times after applying the lube.

Just a word of thanks to those on Acurazine so willing to help out a fellow owner (even two years after the original post)