Bluetooth Fails

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 07:28 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hands FreeLink has a phone. # and they are helpful. 888-528-7876. I had my HFL replaced last month by dealer. Total cost for parts and service was about $350 ($125 was for the service portion). Not something I could do on my own, but that is me. My car is a 2007 TL. From the posts I have seen it seems like HFL seems to fail after about 5 years...
Old 03-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Canadian models

Hi Guys,

I just learned today that Canadian models have different kind of HFL modules, I was really hoping to get it from the States for less than $200.
If you can believe it, Acura is selling it up here for almost $500 (tax included), I am not surprised no more.

For my fellows Canadians (and not only), do you guys know how to adapt the American HFL model to the Canadian HFL connector?

Thanks.

Catalin
Old 03-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Ha, it used to be a $800 part for us too. Contact TIM from oemacuraparts or acuraoemparts...he's a vendor on here. He'll get you squared away.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Ha, it used to be a $800 part for us too. Contact TIM from oemacuraparts or acuraoemparts...he's a vendor on here. He'll get you squared away.
Had already contacted him, there is not much he could do as long as the modules US vs Canada are different, he could not sell me an US model...he was honest and let me know...
But also, there is no way I will pay $500 on a HFL board which I only use it for my cell hands free.

If I cannot figure out a way to adapt the US model to my car's wirring, then I will look into buying a Canadian used module, they are ~$200 on ebay, but I would prefer new....

Catalin
Old 04-07-2013, 06:02 PM
1st Gear

Acura TL 2006 HFL not recognizing (seeing/pairing) phones

I have a 2006 Acura TL and I read on a blog that you have to reset the hands-free link while the car is running-I Just tried this and it works!!! Thank you.

To do this: The console that has the map lights pries down with a small screw driver -(See YouTube videos for instructions on how to do this) Will need an 8 mm wrench to get to the HFL Bluetooth unit - remove the hands-free link module -While still plugged in, next remove the two boards that are connected, rejoin boards and tape it together with electrical tape, put back together...the phone icon should appear and you ready to start the pairing process with your phone -Don't know why this works but it saved me $200 and not having to buy a new HFL unit for the car...my thanks to the original poster for giving me the answer !!
Old 04-07-2013, 07:10 PM
9th Gear

Need Link

Appreciate the hard work on this issue. Can you re-post the link please? I think the old one is broken or something because it's not working out for me.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MCHammer123
I have a 2006 Acura TL and I read on a blog that you have to reset the hands-free link while the car is running-I Just tried this and it works!!! Thank you.

To do this: The console that has the map lights pries down with a small screw driver -(See YouTube videos for instructions on how to do this) Will need an 8 mm wrench to get to the HFL Bluetooth unit - remove the hands-free link module -While still plugged in, next remove the two boards that are connected, rejoin boards and tape it together with electrical tape, put back together...the phone icon should appear and you ready to start the pairing process with your phone -Don't know why this works but it saved me $200 and not having to buy a new HFL unit for the car...my thanks to the original poster for giving me the answer !!
didn't work for me. I removed the module while still keeping them connected to the harness. Disconnected the small board from the pin connector on the large one. plugged them back up and tested the hfl several times. No luck in connecting my phone to the car.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:38 AM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
the hfl on my 08 tl-s just crapped out on me tonight, had to disconnect it since i feared a dead battery by morning... was stuck booting up in mid.. hoping i can take it to the dealer since i bought the car not too long ago.. hopefully they can do something..
Old 04-08-2013, 07:25 AM

if it had cost more than $200 for the module, I wouldn't repair it. Honestly, I roll EVERYWHERE with my windows down anyway, if I have troubles again in the future...I probably won't bother fixing it.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by thorws
didn't work for me. I removed the module while still keeping them connected to the harness. Disconnected the small board from the pin connector on the large one. plugged them back up and tested the hfl several times. No luck in connecting my phone to the car.
did u leave the engine on during this process?
Old 04-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Acuralin
did u leave the engine on during this process?
yes, I did. the lights were on, radio and everything were on. Do I need to actually leave the car running as in turning the key all the way into ignition position?
Old 04-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Advanced

yes, I did. the lights were on, radio and everything were on. Do I need to actually leave the car running as in turning the key all the way into ignition position?
I would leave the engine runing while disconneting and connecting back the daughter board.
Can u pls do this and tell us how it went?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:04 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for posting a solution 'mmclendon'. I have a 07 mdx and recently the battery drained 2x overnight so I replaced it. The new one has just drained so I will go after the HFL.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:29 PM
Advanced

I would leave the engine runing while disconneting and connecting back the daughter board.
Can u pls do this and tell us how it went?
well, I gave up. Tried everything, and the hfl still can't find my phones. Left the engine running, disconnecting the two boards, plugging them back up did nothing.
Just a note, my hfl doesn't say booting up. The diagnostic test says that hfl is ok. It's just not connecting to any phones.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:48 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
well, I gave up. Tried everything, and the hfl still can't find my phones.
Just a note, my hfl doesn't say booting up. The diagnostic test says that hfl is ok. It's just not connecting to any phones.
1) When you press the HFL button, does it say "No phones found"?
2) Will the HFL go into set-up mode?

If "yes" to both of those, check your phones for compatibility through the Acura HFL website.

If each phone is compatible, make sure each phone is in "search" or "discovery" mode when setting up the HFL. A working HFL should guide you through the connection process, although it's also covered in the owner's manual.

G/L.
The following users liked this post:
thorws (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Will Y.
1) When you press the HFL button, does it say "No phones found"?
2) Will the HFL go into set-up mode?

If "yes" to both of those, check your phones for compatibility through the Acura HFL website.

If each phone is compatible, make sure each phone is in "search" or "discovery" mode when setting up the HFL. A working HFL should guide you through the connection process, although it's also covered in the owner's manual.

G/L.
Thanks for the suggestion. Everything seems to check out. Still, I tried all the methods for my phones (HTC One X and Samsung S3) and none of them worked. They worked when I first bought the car ~4 months ago. Then one night the hfl started to act up and frequently disconnect my phone. It no longer connects to anything now though. Also, I tried different firmwares for both phones (official and custom firmwares, even the firmware that worked before) and it didn't work. But then last week my phones found the hfl somehow, got it connected for several minutes, and it has been silent since then.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the suggestion. Everything seems to check out. Still, I tried all the methods for my phones (HTC One X and Samsung S3) and none of them worked. They worked when I first bought the car ~4 months ago. Then one night the hfl started to act up and frequently disconnect my phone. It no longer connects to anything now though. Also, I tried different firmwares for both phones (official and custom firmwares, even the firmware that worked before) and it didn't work. But then last week my phones found the hfl somehow, got it connected for several minutes, and it has been silent since then.
Same here. My module is booting up just fine, it started to disconnect while on the call, then more and more often, when, after couple of days I couldn't link it to the HFL any more.
I also tried my old iphone I used to have and no luck with that either.
I would spend $180 on it, no problem, but my problem is that, here in Canada, they have different connector type, so I can't buy it from US, and there is no way I pay $500 which they ask up here.

Catalin
Old 04-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Advanced

Same here. My module is booting up just fine, it started to disconnect while on the call, then more and more often, when, after couple of days I couldn't link it to the HFL any more.
I also tried my old iphone I used to have and no luck with that either.
I would spend $180 on it, no problem, but my problem is that, here in Canada, they have different connector type, so I can't buy it from US, and there is no way I pay $500 which they ask up here.

Catalin
I have settled with this for the time being:
Amazon.com: Belkin Bluetooth Car Hands-Free Kit for Apple iPod, Apple iPhone, BlackBerry,and Android Smartphones, US Version: MP3 Players & Accessories Amazon.com: Belkin Bluetooth Car Hands-Free Kit for Apple iPod, Apple iPhone, BlackBerry,and Android Smartphones, US Version: MP3 Players & Accessories
It streams both calls and media. And it also works by voice activation on my phones (press the device once to activate and say the person's name) The call quality is not bad, the mic works fine. I've tested it on freeway and local roads and everyone I've talked to said that I sounded clear. Downside though, the in-call volume in the car is outrageous. It sounds distorted and super loud on my end, and I've not figured out a way to reduce it to an acceptable level. If you don't wanna pay that crazy 500 bucks, then I think this may be an option. I routed the wire under the center console so only the circle device is visible.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Advanced

I have settled with this for the time being: Amazon.com: Belkin Bluetooth Car Hands-Free Kit for Apple iPod, Apple iPhone, BlackBerry,and Android Smartphones, US Version: MP3 Players & Accessories
It streams both calls and media. And it also works by voice activation on my phones (press the device once to activate and say the person's name) The call quality is not bad, the mic works fine. I've tested it on freeway and local roads and everyone I've talked to said that I sounded clear. Downside though, the in-call volume in the car is outrageous. It sounds distorted and super loud on my end, and I've not figured out a way to reduce it to an acceptable level. If you don't wanna pay that crazy 500 bucks, then I think this may be an option. I routed the wire under the center console so only the circle device is visible.
Thanks, this unit is really nice, and for $60 only. I'll think about it, cause my car is 06 and doesn't have an AUX input...
Old 04-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Racer

I have an appointment this friday at the dealer to diagnose my HFL.. my CPO is over but i have an aftermarket extended warranty through Zurich (Yes, i didn't know any better). Acura wants $130 to "diagnose" the problem, and they called Zurich and said it was covered (both service manager and i was surprised since he said they usually don't..) so i'm gonna go ahead and try.. hopefully they cover the HFL unit aswell.. fingers crossed!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Advanced

Thanks, this unit is really nice, and for $60 only. I'll think about it, cause my car is 06 and doesn't have an AUX input...
oh, got it. I have an 05 with isimple so I hooked it up to isimple aux port. total came out to be the same price as a new hfl unit but with the addition of media streaming support.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Racer

i just got my HFL replaced under my extended warranty (Zurich), everything was covered! i was expecting to fight since i realized aftermarket warranties arent that great AFTER i bought it.. but seems to have worked for this. So im glad..
Old 04-15-2013, 10:36 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mojonba
Hey guys,

Just wanted to let everybody know that I fixed my malfunctioning module by doing this

http://www.addictivetips.com/hardwar...aking-in-oven/

Results are not guaranteed.
I just tried this method and it seemed it worked. But I am not sure, because after baking, there was still no connection, then I turned off the Bluetooth on the phone and switched it back on and then it connect, this is a procedure I had not tried (or don't recall I had) before baking.
However, it last no longer than 2 minutes after which it disconnected again.

Can some one with a good working HFL state if it feels warm when touching the windshield from outside, where the HFL module is, or from inside, on the plastic trim in between the Home-link buttons and the windshield?

Thanks.

Last edited by Acuralin; 04-15-2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-15-2013, 11:44 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Can some one with a good working HFL state if it feels warm when touching the windshield from outside, where the HFL module is, or from inside, on the plastic trim in between the Home-link buttons and the windshield?
Yes, the HFL bezel(plastic trim piece) does feel warm when the car is running; I always have the phone linked to the car.
This is with an HFL that replaced the original one in summer 2011.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Yes, the HFL bezel(plastic trim piece) does feel warm when the car is running; I always have the phone linked to the car.
This is with an HFL that replaced the original one in summer 2011.
Thanks Will.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:35 AM

Zurich insurance company is no joke though...they're respected. Glad it worked out.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:48 AM
7th Gear

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
I fixed mine thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!!

I finally fixed mine! (I just hope it stays fixed!) Ok, after some thorough troubleshooting, and lots of reading on this thread, I decided to bake my handsfree bluetooth link in the damn oven!! I know, it may sound crazy, but it worked!
Here is how I came to my wacky conclusion: After reading and reading, dang near everyones hfl at one point or another stopped working, wheather it be altogether dead, on, but not responding, or, like mine, on, responding, but not pairing. This was my 3rd go at it, and I'm stubborn, so I really wanted to figure out if there was ANY way to fix it instead of paying for a new one when CLEARLY Acura should be footing the bill for this obvious design flaw of this SAFETY feature. I took the hf assy out of the bezel, let it hang down and gently pushed, pulled, held, bent, twisted, turned, & tilted it, all the while trying to pair my droid 4 (and my gf's BB). My steering wheel controls would sometimes stop responding altogether during this process. I connected and disconected the green connector, pulled apart the 2 circuit boards (numerous times), which sometimes got me back the steering wheel control buttons, but NEVER successfully paired either phone. THEN, I discovered that when I put pressure on the capacitor on the larger circuit board, (this is the 'infamous' cap that many have replaced) the hfl 'woke up' and made this wierd scratchy noise. (still didn't work, but it reacted when I held slight pressure on it sideways) I thought I had it there, but still couldn't get it to work. Then I moved one spot over to the coil? power supply? next to it. Again, when I held slight pressure on it, the hfl reacted, still not working, but really got me thinking about another post that I read about on here about solder joints. I thought to myself, "self, this could definitely be the problem!" So, I remembered reading (to many posts on this thread, I can't find it again now!) that some folks had luck repairing all types of electronics by baking (or heating with a heat gun) the circuit board(s). This seemed to make sense in this case, as you would not be able to see a tiny, hairline, intermittant bad solder joint on these boards, and when I held pressure on certain components, I had varying results. So, I figured what the heck do I have to lose, it doesn't work now. I like the oven idea much better than the heat gun because the oven would provide even heating as opposed to the directional heating of the gun. I put aluminum foil on a cookie sheet, made little foil 'balls' to raise the boards up off the sheet for even heating and placed the 2 in the preheated 385 degree oven for 9 minutes. I don't know why, but I placed another piece of foil, like a cover over the 2 boards, (not touching the boards) but I didn't want the heat going directly on them, just evenly around them. The idea that the solder would melt and 'reconnect', repairing any potentially bad solder joints seemed to just make sense, and what do you know, IT WORKED! I plugged it back in and it went to the setup menu, then to the phone setup menu, and bam, paired up immediately! She's still hanging there but I talked on it for about 2 hours, 1 hour on my way to work and other hour on the way home. This MIGHT actually explain why some people had good results replacing the cap and some didn't. The cap may not have not necessarily been the cause, it may have been the cap's solder joint or a faulty solder joint of another component.
I really hope some of you have some luck baking your bluetooth! Make some brownies while you're at it! I will try to keep checking in to answer any questions and see if anyone else has any luck with this.
The following 11 users liked this post by TT5TL:
desmo888 (11-30-2013), dvsguyca12 (04-30-2013), emegge23 (01-11-2015), gatrhumpy (01-20-2016), glennjr15 (01-03-2014), hongbba99 (05-30-2013), kroche57 (01-30-2017), LazLong (06-08-2013), mcallirgos (12-26-2013), rod1667 (04-28-2013), thorws (04-24-2013) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-22-2013, 12:55 AM
7th Gear

I was so excited I forgot to mention the vehicle!

FYI, my car is a 2005 TL with Nav. I really don't think it matters as it might be a flaw by the manufacturer or possibly the high heat conditions of where it is mounted? idk, but hopefully it saves someone some hard earned $...
The following users liked this post:
glennjr15 (01-03-2014)
Old 04-22-2013, 06:47 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TT5TL
FYI, my car is a 2005 TL with Nav. I really don't think it matters as it might be a flaw by the manufacturer or possibly the high heat conditions of where it is mounted? idk, but hopefully it saves someone some hard earned $...
Can you pls get back to us in a week or so and tell us how consistent your fix has been?
I also baked the modules and it started working but it is on and off, sometimes the modules keep booting for 10 minutes until it pairs with the phone, also it sometimes gets disconnected during the call...

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:25 PM
7th Gear

Update

Yes, of course I will update the 'fix'.
What temp did you bake your modules and for how long?
I don't remember where I wound up reading about the temp & time. I just kept clicking and reading, and clicking on another link and reading & that led to another post, & so on... I would think that even the way you place the boards on the cookie sheet and where you place the foil 'balls' would make a big difference, as if you were to put the boards in the oven upside down without the foil balls underneath certain components to support them, you could have components dropping right out of the board, or creating an intermittant connection instead of fixing one... again, idk anything about this, I'm just looking at it from a common sense point of view...
Old 04-23-2013, 12:10 AM
Advanced

great, after dismantling my hfl so many times, I'll try this baking method next. Doesn't hurt as payday is not here yet.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Advanced

didn't work for me, left it in 9 min at pre-heated 385 oven. One of my button got burnt a little bit. But no hfl still. Well, time to save up
Old 04-24-2013, 06:26 PM
Advanced

I finally fixed mine! (I just hope it stays fixed!) Ok, after some thorough troubleshooting, and lots of reading on this thread, I decided to bake my handsfree bluetooth link in the damn oven!! I know, it may sound crazy, but it worked!
Here is how I came to my wacky conclusion: After reading and reading, dang near everyones hfl at one point or another stopped working, wheather it be altogether dead, on, but not responding, or, like mine, on, responding, but not pairing. This was my 3rd go at it, and I'm stubborn, so I really wanted to figure out if there was ANY way to fix it instead of paying for a new one when CLEARLY Acura should be footing the bill for this obvious design flaw of this SAFETY feature. I took the hf assy out of the bezel, let it hang down and gently pushed, pulled, held, bent, twisted, turned, & tilted it, all the while trying to pair my droid 4 (and my gf's BB). My steering wheel controls would sometimes stop responding altogether during this process. I connected and disconected the green connector, pulled apart the 2 circuit boards (numerous times), which sometimes got me back the steering wheel control buttons, but NEVER successfully paired either phone. THEN, I discovered that when I put pressure on the capacitor on the larger circuit board, (this is the 'infamous' cap that many have replaced) the hfl 'woke up' and made this wierd scratchy noise. (still didn't work, but it reacted when I held slight pressure on it sideways) I thought I had it there, but still couldn't get it to work. Then I moved one spot over to the coil? power supply? next to it. Again, when I held slight pressure on it, the hfl reacted, still not working, but really got me thinking about another post that I read about on here about solder joints. I thought to myself, "self, this could definitely be the problem!" So, I remembered reading (to many posts on this thread, I can't find it again now!) that some folks had luck repairing all types of electronics by baking (or heating with a heat gun) the circuit board(s). This seemed to make sense in this case, as you would not be able to see a tiny, hairline, intermittant bad solder joint on these boards, and when I held pressure on certain components, I had varying results. So, I figured what the heck do I have to lose, it doesn't work now. I like the oven idea much better than the heat gun because the oven would provide even heating as opposed to the directional heating of the gun. I put aluminum foil on a cookie sheet, made little foil 'balls' to raise the boards up off the sheet for even heating and placed the 2 in the preheated 385 degree oven for 9 minutes. I don't know why, but I placed another piece of foil, like a cover over the 2 boards, (not touching the boards) but I didn't want the heat going directly on them, just evenly around them. The idea that the solder would melt and 'reconnect', repairing any potentially bad solder joints seemed to just make sense, and what do you know, IT WORKED! I plugged it back in and it went to the setup menu, then to the phone setup menu, and bam, paired up immediately! She's still hanging there but I talked on it for about 2 hours, 1 hour on my way to work and other hour on the way home. This MIGHT actually explain why some people had good results replacing the cap and some didn't. The cap may not have not necessarily been the cause, it may have been the cap's solder joint or a faulty solder joint of another component.
I really hope some of you have some luck baking your bluetooth! Make some brownies while you're at it! I will try to keep checking in to answer any questions and see if anyone else has any luck with this.
did it a second time, and you know what? it worked. I paired my phone to the hfl now. Made and received some test calls. Will try to test it some more days, but I seriously hope it will stay this way.
On a side note, I left it in the oven as you said, but kept it there for 7 minutes or less. The first time I left it in for 9 and it kinda burnt the plastic connector.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:47 PM
7th Gear

Baked Bluetooth

I'm glad it worked out for you too. I wonder why it didn't work the first time. I should point out that you should place the boards in the oven with the majority of the components on the top, and support the components that are facing the bottom with the foil balls or cubes (as some of them turned out to be). Also note that I made a foil 'cover' that I placed over the boards, but not touching the boards. I didn't even remove the stickers from the board and not only did they not burn, but they didn't even get discolored. Maybe the ovens vary in temperature too...? I really think that the problem with the majority of these HFLs are these solder connections.

If anyone has purchased the new part and wants to donate the old one for troubleshooting purposes, let me know as I will be happy to bake that bad boy, test it, and post the results. I think that I can R&R the HFL in under a minute now.

By the way, I put my HFL back in it's home yesterday in the roof and thankfully it's still working. I paired another phone to it yesterday as well; so now a Droid 4 and an iPhone 5 are paired up and I'm being heard clearly according to all.
I just hope it lasts!

And again, Acura, if you're listening, do the right thing & fix or replace these for free as it is obviously a design flaw.
The following 2 users liked this post by TT5TL:
casty (04-26-2013), rod1667 (04-28-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 11:32 PM
Advanced

I'm glad it worked out for you too. I wonder why it didn't work the first time. I should point out that you should place the boards in the oven with the majority of the components on the top, and support the components that are facing the bottom with the foil balls or cubes (as some of them turned out to be). Also note that I made a foil 'cover' that I placed over the boards, but not touching the boards. I didn't even remove the stickers from the board and not only did they not burn, but they didn't even get discolored. Maybe the ovens vary in temperature too...? I really think that the problem with the majority of these HFLs are these solder connections.

If anyone has purchased the new part and wants to donate the old one for troubleshooting purposes, let me know as I will be happy to bake that bad boy, test it, and post the results. I think that I can R&R the HFL in under a minute now.

By the way, I put my HFL back in it's home yesterday in the roof and thankfully it's still working. I paired another phone to it yesterday as well; so now a Droid 4 and an iPhone 5 are paired up and I'm being heard clearly according to all.
I just hope it lasts!

And again, Acura, if you're listening, do the right thing & fix or replace these for free as it is obviously a design flaw.
I followed your instruction on both attempts. On the first one the foil ball actually rolled off thus letting the board touch the surface. So the piece got burnt was the one that made contact with the surface. On second try I made sure that wouldn't happen. The only different thing is that the foil cover touched the boards 'cuz I didn't have enough foil. It worked though.
I just test drove the car for several hours, and the bluetooth stayed connected all that time. It paired quickly with the phone also as soon as I got into the car. Note that I also have a belkin bluetooth dongle for my aux, and it didn't seem to interfere as far as connectivity is concerned.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:49 PM
6th Gear

Yes, of course I will update the 'fix'.
What temp did you bake your modules and for how long?
I don't remember where I wound up reading about the temp & time. I just kept clicking and reading, and clicking on another link and reading & that led to another post, & so on... I would think that even the way you place the boards on the cookie sheet and where you place the foil 'balls' would make a big difference, as if you were to put the boards in the oven upside down without the foil balls underneath certain components to support them, you could have components dropping right out of the board, or creating an intermittant connection instead of fixing one... again, idk anything about this, I'm just looking at it from a common sense point of view...
YOU ROCK !!!!!!!:th umbsup:
Old 05-01-2013, 08:49 AM
10th Gear

Hey guys,

I was the one that originally posted the oven instructions and I am glad it has worked ok for you guys. Unfortunately for me it only lasted for a couple of days. I am going to "bake" the module again but I would like to know what is the success rate on this. Can you guys post how many days has it been working for you since baking?

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mojonba
Hey guys,

I was the one that originally posted the oven instructions and I am glad it has worked ok for you guys. Unfortunately for me it only lasted for a couple of days. I am going to "bake" the module again but I would like to know what is the success rate on this. Can you guys post how many days has it been working for you since baking?

Thanks.
Well, it worked for me for a day or so. Drove a couple of hours in the car and then it disconnected from my phone. I took it out and applied another method on here. Removing and attaching the 2 boards together then put electrical tape around them. I found out when doing that, I might have accidentally pressed on the capacitor or the chips, and it reconnected. But if I applied pressure to the wrong place it would get disconnected again. I've since put it back into the roof and it works. It still disconnects from time to time, but I only need to apply pressure to the plastic cover on the roof of the car and voila, it connects again. So it works to a certain extent.

I think the problem is that, the hfl is only covered by the black plastic cap and the whole assembly is exposed to heat from the roof. So they do shrink and expand constantly, thus causing the connections to separate. It hasn't been really hot here in the NW (~rarely to the 70 ish), but if I leave my car out in the sun, and remove the HFL, it is the only thing that heats up the most. Electrical tape would help in keeping them from separating.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:54 AM
7th Gear

Bluetooth Bake Update

Well, I'm happy to report (fingers crossed, knocking on wood) that my bluetooth is still working! I had to get a new cell and paired that one up on the 1st try, just like the my old phone (droid 4) and my gf's blackberry. The only wierd problem we have is that her bb doesn't work in the car when receiving incoming calls only. I tried deleting and re-pairing, but same problem. Wierd... Mine works great on both incoming and outgoing calls. Everyone is reporting clear conversations. We haven't had REALLY hot weather yet, so I hope the fix holds up through the summer months. I'm convinced this whole thread, all these intermittant problems are caused by the solder joints on those boards, worsened by the high heat of the mounting location, but, again, just mho...
Old 05-08-2013, 01:02 AM
7th Gear

didn't work for me, left it in 9 min at pre-heated 385 oven. One of my button got burnt a little bit. But no hfl still. Well, time to save up
I just re-read this and have a question.
What do you mean one of your buttons got burnt a little bit?
Exactly what 'button'?

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Fails